Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Cables & Housing

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Cables & Housing

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-22, 05:43 AM
Sorin

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 14 Posts
Cables & Housing

Hello friends,
Can anyone please help me to choose right parts for cables &housings & endcaps/adapters for my bike. I am stuck at this and are the only parts missing before start reasemble :
As a brand i can go with Jagwire cause they are available locally or at bike24 .
So, i need 2 shifters cables for Simplex friction and as i read Campagnolo end fit better than Shimano/Sram? Do i need to file them anyway? As a set cables&housing& endcaps are more expensive and i think i will buy them as a separate items.

For break cables i have Mafac, which end is compatible ? SRAM, Shimano?

For this, i need special end caps( mean , with reduction from 5 ro 4mm) or normal ones are good enough?

Also, from transversal cable from Mafac break i need to buy an ordinary break cable and short it to 15-20 cm as needed ? Or that hole is too small and need to buy an shifter cable?
Any imput will be greatly appreciated.

Regards , Sorin.
Old 11-04-22, 09:53 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4201 Post(s)
Liked 3,857 Times in 2,305 Posts
Mafac Racer brakes (and other models I have dealt with) used shifter cables for the straddle. Sometimes the head needed size deduction to better fit the brake arm's end. One trick we did was to grind the straddle cable head into a conical profile, thus fit any cable head seat that Mafac used (in our experience).

Simplex and Campy shifter cable heads are pretty close/the same size. Usually no added reduction of head is needed to interchange these but real life might say otherwise.

Casing end caps are more situational dependent. Back in the day casings were not usually made with a low friction liner and the outer diameters weren't as "controlled" today. The end cap's snouts (if any) had even less standards outside of a brand's spec. Having a selection of various end caps really makes the stringing of cables on old bikes go quicker.

The longer you do this stuff the more "extras" you end up with that might work for the next bike. Older shops or the recent crop of "kitchens" are good sources for the old end fittings. Andy
Old 11-05-22, 01:28 AM
Sorin

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 14 Posts
Thank you verry much Andrew, i have seen in Jagwire 2022 catalog they have available shifters cables for Simplex/Huret - i am verry courious how it work if i can find them online to buy it. About stradle cable, as you point i will buy an ordinary shifter cable and try to make it work , cause break end cables are way too big and need more file, or maybe doesn't even pass trough that small hole. For end caps ...yeah , we are force to use what is available and try to make it fit. Here on the frame , do you use end caps too? Or nothing fit?

Or here?

Regards,
Sorin.
Old 11-05-22, 05:21 AM
mtbikerjohn 

Bikes: a few..

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 95 Posts
I've been using Jagwire Campy derailleur cables for my Simplex shifters, which are a perfect fit..the Shimano ends are a hair too big and would need a bit of filing.
Likes For mtbikerjohn: