Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Old Marins, tell me more...

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 12-19-07, 07:34 PM
Otto Rax
Amazing, but true...

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

YES I DID A SEARCH AND I FOUND NOTHING WORTHWHILE ON HERE OR GOOGLE OR ASK
that being said...

I work for REI and we sell Marins, so I couldnt resist when I found this old Marin mountain bike today at the local thriftery. It is lime green, with black speckled paint, matching stem and bars -- pretty slick rick. Full deore components, purple sovos front hub. Can anyone tell me anything about old Marins, what year they started, maybe a place to find photos or info on the net?
Old 12-19-07, 08:00 PM
g-funk

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 5 Posts
Marin has always been a higher quality boutique brand of bikes, they were called Marin because they are based there but most of the bikes were made in taiwan. in the mid 90's they were extremely light and had a good name in XC racing and DH with Marla Streb riding for them and a few XC guys who were world cup winners. Their steel bikes were always very nice. Most of the early bikes were designed by Joe Murray and the higher level bikes had a joe murray signature sticker. what model is yours? they have kept the same names for the most part and the ranking in the line should be similar. palisades trail and bobcat trail being on the low end and Nail trail, Indian Fire Trail, and Pine Mountain being near the high end. I've owned a few Marin's even a Bobcat trail with a similar paint job to yours in the mid 80's with bull moose handle bars. better get some pics up though or you will get snubbed pretty hard.
Old 12-19-07, 08:36 PM
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic

Bikes: Snazzy* Schwinns, Classy Cannondales & a Super Pro Aero Lotus (* Ed.)

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 1452 Post(s)
Liked 2,185 Times in 961 Posts
I found this Marin Muir Woods at the dump this summer. It's grey cromolly accented in purple "Marin" bits here and there. Checkout the purplish/blue tires.

Thanks for visiting my website: www.freewheelspa.com

Old 10-09-10, 07:18 PM
Gonzoso

Bikes: 2001 Marin Bobcat Trail, 2010 Motobecane Vent Noir

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pastorbobnlnh
I found this Marin Muir Woods at the dump this summer. It's grey cromolly accented in purple "Marin" bits here and there. Checkout the purplish/blue tires.
Crap, that was my first nice bike! I had it stolen from my house. I bought it used for cheap but insurance covered replacement value and that and a few dollars from mowing lawns got me a 2001 Marin Bobcat Trail that I still have today! I loved that bike, I beat the tar out of it!
Old 10-09-10, 07:59 PM
mandrake

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by g-funk
Marin has always been a higher quality boutique brand of bikes, they were called Marin because they are based there but most of the bikes were made in taiwan. in the mid 90's they were extremely light and had a good name in XC racing and DH with Marla Streb riding for them and a few XC guys who were world cup winners. Their steel bikes were always very nice. Most of the early bikes were designed by Joe Murray and the higher level bikes had a joe murray signature sticker. what model is yours? they have kept the same names for the most part and the ranking in the line should be similar. palisades trail and bobcat trail being on the low end and Nail trail, Indian Fire Trail, and Pine Mountain being near the high end. I've owned a few Marin's even a Bobcat trail with a similar paint job to yours in the mid 80's with bull moose handle bars. better get some pics up though or you will get snubbed pretty hard.
I believe all of their bike names where based on actual places/trails from Marin Co.
Old 10-09-10, 08:20 PM
auchencrow

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 33 Posts
This is my c. '95 Pine Mountain -
It is my winter ride, but I sort of baby it - a really light weight MTB and very pleasant to ride. - And unlike my road bikes with Shimano SIS, the indexed shifting sort of works!

It has a rock-shox fork - I have not had it fade on me even in sub-zero weather (yet).
- I don't think it is original, but I do recall reading somewhere that they were available that way. I have some new alloy pedals on it now (it came with clipless) , and it will have studded tires this season.

... If I ever happen across an older Marin road bike for a decent price, I'll be on it.

PS - Headbadge and handlebars say "San Rafael, Calif." - I have seen later ones that said Made in Taiwan.

Last edited by auchencrow; 10-09-10 at 09:09 PM.
Old 10-09-10, 08:25 PM
auchencrow

Originally Posted by Otto Rax
YES I DID A SEARCH AND I FOUND NOTHING WORTHWHILE ON HERE OR GOOGLE OR ASK
that being said...

I work for REI and we sell Marins, so I couldnt resist when I found this old Marin mountain bike today at the local thriftery. It is lime green, with black speckled paint, matching stem and bars -- pretty slick rick. Full deore components, purple sovos front hub. Can anyone tell me anything about old Marins, what year they started, maybe a place to find photos or info on the net?
Otto - Pictures please !
Old 10-09-10, 09:04 PM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1604 Post(s)
Liked 2,569 Times in 1,217 Posts
https://broadbandsports.com/node/34549
Old 10-09-10, 10:54 PM
cyclotoine

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 14 Posts
Today they seem to be pretty generic, but I liked them a lot in the 1990s. My brother had a polished aluminum nail trail with STX/STX-rc and blue anno parts. Not sure when they broke into the road market but their early road bikes were contract built by true craftsman in Italy (bilatto) out of columbus tubing, there are some nice steel ones out there but hard to find.
Old 10-10-10, 09:13 AM
juls
over the hill

Bikes: 72 maino-76 austro daimler inter 10-? giant kronos

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
How do their road bikes measure up? A tange 900 (low end?) is o my local cl for $230 or so......worth it? (It is a faded rainbow type paint job)
Old 10-10-10, 09:23 AM
juls
over the hill

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Ooops $250-mountain bikes better?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
marin 4 250 clams..jpg (49.5 KB, 593 views)
Old 10-10-10, 09:52 AM
cyclotoine

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by juls
Ooops $250-mountain bikes better?
fork looks bent out, tange 900 lugged frames are pretty common, unless the condition was excellent $250 is not worth it.
Old 10-10-10, 10:04 AM
juls
over the hill

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Thanks-the fork does look strange, now that you mention it.
Old 10-10-10, 11:20 AM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 909 Posts
The Muir Woods is a very versatile bike, suitable for commuting, path rides, and even off-road, an excellent value if you find one. I've seen two Marin road bikes, the steel Verona, with Columbus tubing, 3x9 105 on Mavic rims; and a 7005 aluminum Portofino with a great fork and a wide-ranging fit due to the sloping top tube. I've seen a few different Portofinos, but only one or two Verona's. I took advantage of a big drop in the Euro a while back, built this Portofino with 3x9 Mirage, Khamsin wheels.

Old 10-10-10, 11:37 AM
ish

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Some of the old Marin catalogs can be found here: https://www.mtb-kataloge.de/

The old Marins ran the gamut from crap to excellent. The good models have Deore / Deore DX or higher. From what I have seen, the Eldridge Grade seems to be where the decent models start.

The Marin Rockstar forks are supposed to be pretty good rigid forks.
Old 10-10-10, 05:44 PM
Otto Rax
Amazing, but true...

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Haha, this thread is almost three years old
Old 10-10-10, 06:15 PM
auchencrow

Originally Posted by Otto Rax
Haha, this thread is almost three years old
And we STILL haven't seen a picture of your Spatter paint lime green Thrift Store Marin.
Old 10-10-10, 08:13 PM
doggy

Bikes: 2005 Specialized Roubaix elite, 2009 Specialized Allez, 1993 Marin Limited edition, Giant Allegre, 1999 Cannondale T700, Bianchi campione del monde, 1993 Trek 2300

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have 2 marin road bikes.

https://imgur.com/InIcp.jpg
Bike is called "marin limited edition".This is the bike pictured in the original ad. (full shimano 105 7 speed.)

https://imgur.com/lr0ql.jpg
Here it is after i put some STI's on it.

I then changed the drive train to 9 speed campy veloce (a switch that i am happy to have made)

https://imgur.com/576qi.jpg
And finally, a 2001 Marin Verona. Full campagnolo mirage, veloce shifters. Stiff frame (or at least stiffer than the previous marin)

Heres a pic of my bedroom, and of the green marin with the campy.
Old 02-07-13, 05:10 PM
dsp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rather late reply but thanks so much for the link to the Marin catalogs.

I have been searching for about 14yrs to find out the model of my Marin. I exchanged for it 2nd hand at a local bike shop & have been asking at dealers ever since to no avail. I am certain that I have found it is a 1993 Nail Trail.

When I got it it had all Deore LX components with Marin lite tyres & Aluminium Alloy frame. & the Rockstar forks which where great up till I bent them in a wipeout 5yrs ago.

Still have the bike now, sentimental & in use.
Old 05-29-14, 04:05 PM
mxsnow

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a virtually new Indian Fire Trail,I have owned it since it was new in 1995 and it has seen maybe 30 miles of use and it is all stock except for the seat.I was looking to change but after reading some of these posts I might have to keep it and just get another bike to get dirty!
Old 04-23-21, 03:24 PM
Connguy1956

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My first post, glad to be here.

I purchased a 1990 Marin Muirwoods off of CL the other day. It is in remarkably good condition considering the vintage.it has the “Rasta” color scheme which is a bit loud for my taste....but it’s growing on me.

I wish that it had disc brakes and was a 29er like my GT Peace bike fixie.
Old 04-24-21, 06:10 AM
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic

Bikes: Snazzy* Schwinns, Classy Cannondales & a Super Pro Aero Lotus (* Ed.)

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 1452 Post(s)
Liked 2,185 Times in 961 Posts
Originally Posted by Connguy1956
My first post, glad to be here.

I purchased a 1990 Marin Muirwoods off of CL the other day. It is in remarkably good condition considering the vintage.it has the “Rasta” color scheme which is a bit loud for my taste....but it’s growing on me.

I wish that it had disc brakes and was a 29er like my GT Peace bike fixie.
Welcome to Bike Forums Classic & Vintage.

You've resurrected an old classic post from almost 15 years ago. Wow how time flies!

If it had disc brakes it would be hard pressed to be either "Classic" or "Vintage" (there are exceptions but those are heavy and ineffective).

Keep posting so you reach your 10 posts and can include pictures.

Thanks for visiting my website: www.freewheelspa.com

Old 04-24-21, 07:06 AM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,446 Times in 1,557 Posts
My Marin Palisades Trail found discarded at the curb last year and converted to drops.

I repped for a company that sold Marins in the '90s and I think it was the Eldridge Grade that had the splatter paint.

Last edited by thumpism; 04-24-21 at 07:09 AM.
Old 11-26-21, 06:56 AM
ehallerm@gmail.
Lizzi

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Can anyone tell me the effective top tube length of the 13" Marin Muirwoods from 2005 or 2006? There's one posted, that I might be interested in, but don't wanna drive out if TT is too long for my short bod. Thanks
Old 12-08-21, 09:32 AM
Cycle Tourist

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked 207 Times in 126 Posts
Pine Mountain '93

Bought on cl for$100. It's faded and we'll used but I like it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.