Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Panasonic Traincle

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Panasonic Traincle

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-14, 05:58 AM
marxmini

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Panasonic Traincle

i enjoyed the hunt for this folding bike and the parts needed for the build. now it is done and i would like to share it with you.

cheers! :-)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_3027.jpg (97.8 KB, 487 views)
IMG_3028.jpg (99.1 KB, 447 views)
IMG_3031.jpg (97.3 KB, 441 views)
IMG_3033.jpg (98.9 KB, 443 views)
IMG_3030.jpg (95.9 KB, 432 views)
IMG_3032.jpg (98.6 KB, 438 views)
Old 06-17-14, 03:30 PM
dynaryder
DancesWithSUVs

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Nice! What's it weigh?

C'dale BBU('05 and '09)/Super Six/Hooligan8and 3,Kona Dew Deluxe,Novara Buzz/Safari,Surly Big Dummy,Marin Pt Reyes,Giant Defy 1,Schwinn DBX SuperSport,Dahon Speed Pro TT,Brompton S6L/S2E-X
Old 06-17-14, 04:17 PM
marxmini

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
in current configuration (capreo front hub, capreo rear hub and gears, dura ace RD and crankset, brooks saddle, tektro calipers, sturmey shifter, gran compe brake levers), the weight is 8.8 kilos (19.4 pounds).

the panasonic traincle, they say, was (maybe still is) the lightest folding bike in the world.
Old 06-17-14, 04:24 PM
bargainguy

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 516 Post(s)
Liked 308 Times in 191 Posts
As far as production bike weights, quite a few recent Dahons have weighed less than the Traincle - I believe the Helios XX weighed at 7.8 kg w/o pedals. Custom, you can always get a Bike Friday Super Pro which probably dangles around the 15 lb. level depending on size. But this Triancle is an awesome bike, and I'd imagine the ride with ti is pretty nice.
Old 06-17-14, 04:35 PM
marxmini

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bargainguy
As far as production bike weights, quite a few recent Dahons have weighed less than the Traincle - I believe the Helios XX weighed at 7.8 kg w/o pedals. Custom, you can always get a Bike Friday Super Pro which probably dangles around the 15 lb. level depending on size. But this Triancle is an awesome bike, and I'd imagine the ride with ti is pretty nice.
you are correct. with new technology, there are lighter bikes in the market.

i rode the bike after the build and small as it was, the ride was solid. it was also pretty quick because of the combination capreo gear and 53t crank. :-) i am happy with the result.
Old 06-17-14, 04:51 PM
marxmini

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i will probably bring the weight down some more if i change the saddle and the wheelset (the original ones were distorted so i had to replace with a new 14 inch wheelset). i also read that the tires and inner tubes (panasonic brand) were made specifically for the traincle that it was lighter than any 14inch ones during its time. maybe i should search harder for those tires and inner tubes.
Old 06-18-14, 02:43 AM
pibach

Bikes: Dahon Mu Sport & Mu Ex

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by marxmini
the panasonic traincle, they say, was (maybe still is) the lightest folding bike in the world.
The lightest as far as I know is the FSIR Spin (I bought one recently, see here). Frame is 1,3kg. Standard config is 6.9kg. There is this weight weenie build at 4.9kg. Single speed. There is a 3 speed option which would ad 500g approx.
Old 06-18-14, 03:49 AM
marxmini

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pibach
The lightest as far as I know is the FSIR Spin (I bought one recently, see here). Frame is 1,3kg. Standard config is 6.9kg. There is this weight weenie build at 4.9kg. Single speed. There is a 3 speed option which would ad 500g approx.
hands down, the newer 14inch folding bikes with single speed will be lighter :-) but nothing beats the allure of a titanium folding bike.
Old 06-18-14, 06:13 AM
cplager
The Recumbent Quant

Bikes: 2012 Cruzbike Sofrider, 2013 Cruzigami Mantis, 2016 Folding CruziTandem

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by marxmini
hands down, the newer 14inch folding bikes with single speed will be lighter :-) but nothing beats the allure of a titanium folding bike.
Thank you for sharing.

You've done very well!
Old 06-18-14, 06:46 AM
marxmini

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cplager
Thank you for sharing.

You've done very well!
thank you. had i not seen the photo of the triancle here in bike forums, i probably won't have this folding bike now.
Old 06-26-14, 03:16 PM
smallwheeler

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
this is very cool. i wouldn't change anything on it except the saddle (selle italia ti rails maybe) and the tires. apparently, the original tires sacrificed durability for weight savings. akamatsu had a self-branded run of these made by panaracer with improved durability. they sell them and so does wadacycle.

Old 06-27-14, 03:20 AM
marxmini

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by smallwheeler
this is very cool. i wouldn't change anything on it except the saddle (selle italia ti rails maybe) and the tires. apparently, the original tires sacrificed durability for weight savings. akamatsu had a self-branded run of these made by panaracer with improved durability. they sell them and so does wadacycle.

thanks for the appreciation and the information. i will try to order the tires from akamatsu. :-) i have been searching for the proper selle italia or selle san marco saddle and all i have seen are black with white letters. i prefer an all black saddle like the selle italia flite 1990 but unfortunately there are none in the local bike stores. i may have to order online. :-)
Old 08-16-15, 01:53 PM
bokenikon

Bikes: Brompton S2L, Panasonic Traincle, Trek 6700, Specialized Allez

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hi! I recently went to Kyoto, Japan and got myself one of these Traincles. Model B-PEHT423 with a carbon fork. I was thinking of upgrading to a rear derailleur system from the single speed. Is your derailleur hanger a bolt-on? How did you attach it? Any drilling required?
Old 08-17-15, 08:20 AM
marxmini

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

rd hanger is bolt on. no drilling necessary. good luck on the conversion.
Old 08-17-15, 08:44 AM
dezzie

Bikes: Xootr swift, Moulton Speed, Moulton Major.

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Holy cr*p that's pricey! rather have a Moulton, I do like it though! - PANASONIC Folding Bicycle 14inch Titanium Alloy Super Light Frame 6.9kg NEW! | eBay
Old 08-17-15, 09:14 AM
BruceMetras

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by dezzie
Holy cr*p that's pricey! rather have a Moulton, I do like it though! - PANASONIC Folding Bicycle 14inch Titanium Alloy Super Light Frame 6.9kg NEW! | eBay
Which is why all the speculation for the Ti Helix at sub $1500 retail for a 10 speed setup.. looking forward to the Helix project .. hope it can succeed ..
Old 08-24-15, 03:49 AM
bokenikon

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by dezzie
Ebay seller asking $3200 . . . I picked up mine at Yodabashi Camera, after the Duty Free discount and the Visa card discount, it came out to under $2000. I bought it in person, of course, when I was in Japan. And the current dollar/Yen exchange rate is very favorable. I think if you pay full retail in Japan it's about $2300.

Last edited by bokenikon; 08-24-15 at 04:03 AM.
Old 08-25-15, 03:50 AM
marxmini

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bokenikon
Ebay seller asking $3200 . . . I picked up mine at Yodabashi Camera, after the Duty Free discount and the Visa card discount, it came out to under $2000. I bought it in person, of course, when I was in Japan. And the current dollar/Yen exchange rate is very favorable. I think if you pay full retail in Japan it's about $2300.
you got it at a good price. congratulations. i got mine used at 750usd (single speed). after upgrades, it came out to approximately 1000usd.
Old 09-24-17, 06:15 PM
Sangetsu

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 570 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 21 Posts
The latest Traincle comes with a titanium fork, claimed weight is 6.3kg. The design of the fork looks a bit Brompton-like, but is polished to match the rest of the frame. The one I tried had a titanium BB and axles as well. I'm tempted, but between my guitar collection and my numerous bikes, my wife is probably not going to be very happy at my getting yet another toy.
Old 09-24-17, 09:26 PM
Rick Imby

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I have never seen Titanium spot welded like it is on the rear seat stays---interesting.

Great project, thanks for posting.
Old 10-23-22, 12:32 PM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
They are pretty little bikes, a nice design. Kinda like the grandfather of my Bike Friday pakiT, lol.
Old 10-23-22, 04:28 PM
Ron Damon

Quoted: 459 Post(s)
Liked 565 Times in 354 Posts
How the segment has changed and improved since 2014! Today in 2022 eight years later a feather-weight Al-alloy frame for ISO 305|349 wheels can be had for under $200 (frameset below costs $160) and a complete, light (under 10kg) small wheeler consisting of no proprietary parts can be custom built for $500-600. My FSIR Spin 3 was 8.6kg out of the box and only $210 on clearance sale.
What were considered marvelous, enviable tiny folders just a few years back are now nostalgic, historic curios. And this revolution and democratization of the segment has arisen not out of Oregon or London, but rather out of China. 😉

Last edited by Ron Damon; 10-23-22 at 04:44 PM.
Old 10-23-22, 07:46 PM
bokenikon

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
"How the segment has changed and improved since 2014!" Not sure if it's really a technological improvement, like the way computer technology leapfrogs the older stuff. The Chinese have been making objects resembling high end bicycles and components such as titanium and carbon frames and folding bikes for quite a while now.
Old 10-23-22, 08:10 PM
Ron Damon

Quoted: 459 Post(s)
Liked 565 Times in 354 Posts
Originally Posted by bokenikon
"How the segment has changed and improved since 2014!" Not sure if it's really a technological improvement, like the way computer technology leapfrogs the older stuff. The Chinese have been making objects resembling high end bicycles and components such as titanium and carbon frames and folding bikes for quite a while now.
I, who's lived in Asia Pacific for two decades and currently lives just a few hours flight time from the PRC (and Taiwan) is perhaps aware of that more than most people on this channel. You'll find that this channel is still heavily aligned on the London-Eugene axis despite the undeniable, inexorable evolution of the segment and that the epicenter of folding bikes today is Asia.

Last edited by Ron Damon; 10-23-22 at 08:13 PM.
Likes For Ron Damon:
Old 10-23-22, 10:51 PM
Reddleman
iti biking

Bikes: Tern Link D8, much upgraded

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 58 Posts
For its sins, this forum is considerably more diverse a location than some. I glanced at the folding bike section of a popular UK cycling forum the other day and it was pages after pages about Bromptons. Now I’m not anti-Brompton per say (they don’t really do what I want a folding bike to do here and now) but there’s plenty of other options in England! One of the benefits of here is the variety of voices and the accessibility in the English language medium to whole new worlds of folding bike opportunities.
Likes For Reddleman:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.