Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Are Deore XT AJ, AK, and AM outer chainrings interchangeable?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-20, 07:17 PM
AllWeatherJeff
Old Dog, New Tricks

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts

I've got a 40T-AJ outer that needs replacing. Will an AK chainring swap seamlessly?

What is the difference between the AJ, AK, and AM designations?
Old 10-22-20, 08:45 PM
well biked

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 162 Times in 89 Posts
You should stick with the same model chainring if you are just replacing one chainring. The letters are a code, based on number of chainring teeth on the crank's chainrings. That's important because the outer ring (and middle ring on a triple) has shifting aids built into the inner face of the chainring that provide superior shifting when shifting from smaller ring to larger ring. The shifting aids (ramps, pins, etc) are designed to work with specific chainring combos. Example, I have an XT double crankset (10 speed era), the original chainring combo was 38/24 on that crankset. So if I were to replace the outer chainring, I would need to get a 38t "AM" chainring, which is designed for the 38/24 chainring combo.

Last edited by well biked; 10-22-20 at 08:50 PM.
Likes For well biked:
Old 10-22-20, 08:52 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4201 Post(s)
Liked 3,857 Times in 2,305 Posts
Good explanation. I'll add that for those who always soft pedal during front shifting these subtle ring to ring tooth "clockings" are of less importance then those who mash and power through a shift. These subtle ring pairings lessen chain suck and make the shift a tad smoother. Andy