Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Anybody thinking about cutting back on group rides b/c of Delta?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Anybody thinking about cutting back on group rides b/c of Delta?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-21, 04:37 PM
BHG6

Bikes: Bianchi Oltre XR4

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 202 Times in 73 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Yes, you are.

You know how there are often pissing matches about what constitutes the best bang for the buck when it comes to bikes? What many fail to recognize is that BBftB is going to differ from person to person based upon their expectations and the depth of their wallet. This is very similar. Sometimes it's Sora, sometimes it's Super Record - it's different for everyone. You're failing to acknowledge that there are various levels of risk and various levels of reward. Some may only feel comfortable completely isolated, as you suggest, while others, knowing that they'll be surrounded by inoculated folks, will be happy to increase their risk slightly if it means the pleasure of riding with company - that's their best bang for the viral load buck.
Maybe you're right, I spent over a decade making my living jumping out of airplanes with 15 lbs of camera gear on my head. Perhaps my concept of risk vs. reward is a little.....bent?
Likes For BHG6:
Old 08-08-21, 06:41 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4366 Post(s)
Liked 3,001 Times in 1,854 Posts
some new data on risk of delta variant infection (but not severe illness) for those fully vaccinated

https://www.reuters.com/world/uk/eng...ed-2021-08-03/
Likes For MinnMan:
Old 08-09-21, 07:29 AM
Hiro11

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Allez Sprint custom build, 2019 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0, 2018 Seven Mudhoney Pro custom build, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman, various others

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 238 Posts
Originally Posted by Kapusta
Let's clear something up: ...
Yup, all of this. If 100% of people are vaccinated, then 100% of cases would occur in vaccinated people, a meaningless statistic.

I'll preface this by saying I'm no expert and likely have no idea what I'm talking about. Still:

The Mayo clinic has a really nice video on this:
- Covid transmits in fully vaccinated people not necessarily by making them sick, it transmits more often in vaccinated people because asymptomatic carriers have large viral loads in their nose and mouth.
- Regardless of infectiousness, vaccines DRASTICALLY reduce the risk serious illness and death, which after all is really what's important here.

Regarding the last point: people still seem to misunderstand what an "endemic virus" like covid-19 entails. Long story short: "zero covid" is a ridiculous, unobtainable concept. Taking this a step further: if you have not yet had covid, you will have covid at some point. To repeat: you will have covid at some point. As a result, what really matters is if covid represents a serious mortality risk to you or just a risk of an asymptomatic case or a mild illness. This is why I believe that "confirmed cases" is a much less important statistic to focus on than serious hospitalizations and death. In fact, due to the issues around data collection and data quality I personal look mostly at excess mortality.

Don't get me wrong, we definitely want to cut down on active cases as more cases = more genetic drift and more variants, luckily vaccines are also very helpful in this regard. When you look at the above statistics, keep in mind that the best flu vaccines are only about 40%-50% effective.

Last edited by Hiro11; 08-09-21 at 07:35 AM.
Likes For Hiro11:
Old 08-09-21, 11:08 AM
AlanO

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 23 Posts
How is an infectious disease political?
Old 08-09-21, 11:20 AM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked 698 Times in 435 Posts
When I do ride in a group, it is usually a small group, mostly consisting of seniors, and all of us have been vaccinated, so I feel comfortable riding with them without a mask. I will be carrying a mask with me now, in case I need to go inside an area where there are numbers of people who I do not know. Minor inconvenience, compared to possible consequences.
Old 08-09-21, 11:29 AM
Brian_USA

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Stopped doing group rides for other reasons years before coronovirus.
Old 08-09-21, 11:38 AM
alias5000

Bikes: HP Velotechnik Streetmachine GTE, 2015 Devinci Silverstone SL4, 2012 Cannondale Road Tandem 2, Circe Morpheus, 2021 Rose Backroad, 2017 Devinci Hatchet

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by MinnMan
I'm mainly interested in how this is affecting all of your group riding - not at all, no more- full stop, still doing it but giving it some thought (me), etc.. I hear quite a bit of all three.
Not resumed group rides yet. Before we had vaccines, I would not do it, because I wouldn't want to be part of a transmission chain that leads to someone ending up in hospital or a graveyard. Now that that threat is hugely reigned in (in Canada), I'm still hesitant because I can still be a vector to my kid that can't get vaccinated. If the kid would be unlucky, it could end up with long covid, which is something we don't want for someone developing life fundamentals as they grow. But I am actively contemplating going back to group rides. Next year for sure, as by then everyone in our household will have had the chance to get a vaccine.
Old 08-09-21, 12:29 PM
BHG6

Originally Posted by Kapusta
You are providing a quote while claiming it means something completely different than actually does.

You may as well be pointing to the sky as proof that it is green.

You you already know this.
Not even remotely true. I gave you a direct quote from the Director of the CDC. I didn't alter her words or their meaning in any way, shape, or form. I mean exactly what she means - "The increased viral load associated with the Delta variant appears to make vaccinated people equal spreaders of the virus.".
Nowhere did I claim that infections in those who are vaccinated are as common as in those who are not.

I said that if you are that concerned with catching/transmitting the virus despite being fully vaccinated, doing group rides probably is't a great idea since you have no idea who's contagious, regardless of their "status".

Is that really such a controversial thing to say?
Likes For BHG6:
Old 08-09-21, 12:36 PM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
Quotes from the CDC are not facts.

They have proven themselves not to be credible.
Likes For GhostRider62:
Old 08-09-21, 01:05 PM
run50

Bikes: Seven Elium SLX, Spot Mountain bike, Co-Motion Pangea touring bike,Trek 5500, Argon gravel bike,

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
(There used to be a covid forum for this, but it got shut down. I know that this is a topic that could turn political, but I hope that people can just say where they are at, and leave the politics out of it. If I'm wrong, I'm OK with the mods shutting down the thread)

I'm still going on group rides, and I don't yet plan to stop. I think that *most* of my ride partners are vaccinated, but I don't know for sure.

The things that we learned about covid transmissibility last year - nobody knows if they apply to Delta. as in, "you're pretty safe outside". Does that apply to Delta? I dunno.

So I'm having second thoughts.

You?
I'm more concerned at the moment and wanting to now if others are cutting back on their riding because of the air quality in the West. Denver on Sunday
was rated to have the worst air quality in the world rankings. The smoke we are getting along the Front Range has been horrific this year (and last year
was really bad as well). We've had something like 50 days now of severe air quality alerts. The smoke is so bad the Front Range mountains are just
barely visible from my home (and I live like 4 mi from the mountains). So has anyone else having problems riding in this outside?
Old 08-09-21, 01:08 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20808 Post(s)
Liked 9,450 Times in 4,668 Posts
Originally Posted by run50
I'm more concerned at the moment and wanting to now if others are cutting back on their riding because of the air quality in the West... /snip
So rather than try to hijack this thread, start a thread in your regional forum or check the existing thread in Road (edit: https://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycl...smoke-not.html)

Last edited by WhyFi; 08-09-21 at 01:11 PM.
Old 08-09-21, 01:17 PM
BHG6

Originally Posted by GhostRider62
Quotes from the CDC are not facts.

They have proven themselves not to be credible.
I couldn't' agree with you more. But we don't exactly have much else to go by these days.....
Old 08-09-21, 01:53 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,473 Times in 4,181 Posts
Originally Posted by urbanknight
Too many people decide what they WANT to be true and then cling to anything that supports their desire while rejecting anything that does not. I'm trying to be as informed as possible, but there's so much we don't know, there's tons of misinformation being spread, and there's tons of factors changing as things evolve.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 08-09-21, 02:40 PM
dkatz1

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 63 Posts
I'm kind of cowardly, and avoiding crowds. But: transmission is way less likely outside, and I'm guessing that when you're in motion even less likely (?, I guess I don't know).
Old 08-09-21, 02:47 PM
phdung

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If it’s Delta that has you concerned…

Let me amend that. I know that most of my ride partners are vaccinated, but I don't know if all are. Odds are, some aren't.
If it’s Delta that has you concerned the vaccinated are just as likely to get it as the non-vaccinated.

I think the healthiest thing you can do is be fit because you will very likely get covid at some point.

In North America the biggest factor on whether covid kills you or not is being overweight.

so I will continue to ride to keep my weight at a reasonable level.
Old 08-09-21, 03:16 PM
Skullo 
Master of the Universe

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 52 Posts
(There used to be a covid forum for this, but it got shut down. I know that this is a topic that could turn political, but I hope that people can just say where they are at, and leave the politics out of it. If I'm wrong, I'm OK with the mods shutting down the thread)

I'm still going on group rides, and I don't yet plan to stop. I think that *most* of my ride partners are vaccinated, but I don't know for sure.

The things that we learned about covid transmissibility last year - nobody knows if they apply to Delta. as in, "you're pretty safe outside". Does that apply to Delta? I dunno.

So I'm having second thoughts.

You?
I don’t do group rides at all but can still answer your original question.
I have other interests that involve groups. In May I went back to these activities. I thought I had some of my life back. Now I’m back to isolation and mask wearing when near people outside my family.I am fully vaccinated .
I will do what I deem necessary to protect my self my family and yes others .Covid is very high where I live.
if I did group rides I would be stopped.
Old 08-09-21, 03:32 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3414 Post(s)
Liked 3,542 Times in 1,782 Posts
Originally Posted by phdung
If it’s Delta that has you concerned the vaccinated are just as likely to get it as the non-vaccinated.
Not true. The case rate among the vaccinated is considerably less than among the non-vaccinated. It's currently about one fourth as much in our county.

I think the healthiest thing you can do is be fit because you will very likely get covid at some point.
The healthiest thing you can do is get vaccinated. And be white, female, young, with no hypertension, good cholesterol levels, no heart disease, and no cancer.

In North America the biggest factor on whether covid kills you or not is being overweight.
No, the biggest risk factors of dying from COVID-19 is lung cancer (6.74 times greater), followed by leukemia or lymphoma (2.89).

so I will continue to ride to keep my weight at a reasonable level.
Good idea, keep riding for your overall health.

Likes For terrymorse:
Old 08-09-21, 03:45 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,687 Times in 2,510 Posts
I feel like we really don't need this thread. Everybody has to make up their own mind. There is so much conflicting info out there now that we are never going to clarify it here. And obviously it all got mixed up in politics somehow, so it's problematic to discuss outside of the P&R forum.

I'm closing it. Please, if anyone feels compelled to discuss topics like this, you need to start threads in the P&R forum.