Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Hydraulic brakes soft

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Hydraulic brakes soft

Old 06-10-22, 10:35 PM
GMoser85

Bikes: Salsa Horsethief, Kona Ute Longtail

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Hydraulic brakes soft

I bought a MTB, the rear brakes were soft on test ride, I figured a bleed and caliper rebuild at most. I bleed the system 2 times as the fluid color was a bit off. It's a 2012 with Avil Elixir 5 Hydraulic disc. The 2nd bleed, I was pressurizing the system when I started hearing a burping/bubbling noise and the brakes were very soft. My assumption is an internal part on the handle. My hands are a bit oily from doing the caliper rebuild to feel even after clearing with alcohol. Unscrewing the vile, a lot of oil did spill out. What do I do next? should I order internals now? are they a complicated rebuild on the handles? TIA
Old 06-11-22, 09:25 AM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Elixirs? Replace them...with any modern brake. Anything will be better.
Likes For cxwrench: