Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+) > Pills and Ills
Reload this Page >

technu rash relief spray tecnu spray changed ingredients from grindelia robusta plant

Notices
Pills and Ills This is a discussion subforum for the health challenges faced by riders 50+. These discussions are in no way to be considered professional medical advice.

technu rash relief spray tecnu spray changed ingredients from grindelia robusta plant

Old 11-16-22, 09:00 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5222 Post(s)
Liked 3,576 Times in 2,340 Posts

wondering if anyone has experience with this

the previous listed active ingredients on the container has worked for me
  • grindelia robusta
  • plantago major
  • calendula officinalis

I got a new bottle, but the active ingredient is now
  • diphenhydramine hci
this seems really different. anyone know where I can get the original formula?
Old 11-16-22, 03:15 PM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked 695 Times in 434 Posts
Maybe because it's the spray and not the scrub? I looked up Tecnu (I used to use it when I did more mtn.bike riding and would encounter poison ivy). Looks like what you want is Tecnu Extreme Poison Ivy and Oak Scrub. Haven't purchased any for a while, but I would think a store which carries hunting equipment, such as Cabela's, Bass Pro Shops, Amazon has it.
Ingredient list: Tecnu Extreme Ingredients & Label Info | Tec Labs (teclabsinc.com) -not exactly same as what you listed, but does have the grindelia robusta extract.
Looks like Walmart carries it also. Looks like the spray is different than the scrub.
Out of curiosity I found my Technu--it is the Extreme Scrub. Sounds like the spray is just an anti-itch spray.
Diphenhydramine is basically Benadryl--good to stop itching (used a cream with it for skeeter bites this past summer), but does nothing so far as removing the oil from poison ivy/oak from your skin.

Last edited by freeranger; 11-16-22 at 04:30 PM.
Old 11-17-22, 08:00 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Originally Posted by freeranger
Maybe because it's the spray and not the scrub? I looked up Tecnu (I used to use it when I did more mtn.bike riding and would encounter poison ivy). Looks like what you want is Tecnu Extreme Poison Ivy and Oak Scrub. Haven't purchased any for a while, but I would think a store which carries hunting equipment, such as Cabela's, Bass Pro Shops, Amazon has it.
Ingredient list: Tecnu Extreme Ingredients & Label Info | Tec Labs (teclabsinc.com) -not exactly same as what you listed, but does have the grindelia robusta extract.
Looks like Walmart carries it also. Looks like the spray is different than the scrub.
Out of curiosity I found my Technu--it is the Extreme Scrub. Sounds like the spray is just an anti-itch spray.
Diphenhydramine is basically Benadryl--good to stop itching (used a cream with it for skeeter bites this past summer), but does nothing so far as removing the oil from poison ivy/oak from your skin.
sorry if I wasn't clear. I'm looking for the original formula
  • grindelia robusta
  • plantago major
  • calendula officinalis
I don't have poison ivy, I'm using it on another "rash", I guess I can call it a rash. it works well, but I've run out. the new bottle is different stuff
Old 11-17-22, 08:04 AM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2222 Post(s)
Liked 3,407 Times in 1,779 Posts
Yikes. That's just benedryl in a spray bottle.
Old 11-17-22, 10:22 AM
rumrunn6

Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
Yikes. That's just benedryl in a spray bottle.
yeah, I know, the new stuff is. but what the heck was this original recipe? & where can I get it?
  • grindelia robusta
  • plantago major
  • calendula officinalis
Old 11-17-22, 11:56 AM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2222 Post(s)
Liked 3,407 Times in 1,779 Posts
I've got two bottles of the stuff (lotion, not spray) that have been here for several years. Neither has those ingredients you listed (or the benedryl).
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 11-17-22, 12:40 PM
rumrunn6

Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
I've got two bottles of the stuff (lotion, not spray) that have been here for several years. Neither has those ingredients you listed (or the benedryl).
thank you, they are all over the place
just scoured another pharmacy & grocery store at all the products for itch relief. found a huge assortment of recipes. can't find any with the original recipe I'm looking for. so strange. my empty bottle can't be more than a cpl years old