Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

The Helmet Thread 2

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.
View Poll Results: What Are Your Helmet Wearing Habits?
I've never worn a bike helmet
10.40%
I used to wear a helmet, but have stopped
4.80%
I've always worn a helmet
41.60%
I didn't wear a helmet, but now do
25.20%
I sometimes wear a helmet depending on the conditions
18.00%
Voters: 500. You may not vote on this poll

The Helmet Thread 2

Old 02-08-23, 09:48 PM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3803 Post(s)
Liked 6,635 Times in 2,600 Posts
A hat for your weenie? I thought this was a family friendly forum.
Likes For nlerner:
Old 02-08-23, 09:50 PM
obrentharris 

Bikes: Indeed!

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1506 Post(s)
Liked 3,461 Times in 1,129 Posts
Originally Posted by P!N20
What's that one closest to camera? Never seen anything like it!
Skid Lid!
Brent

Likes For obrentharris:
Old 02-08-23, 09:52 PM
obrentharris 

Bikes: Indeed!

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1506 Post(s)
Liked 3,461 Times in 1,129 Posts
Originally Posted by nlerner
A hat for your weenie? I thought this was a family friendly forum.
Come on Neil. Birth control is family friendly!
Brent

Likes For obrentharris:
Old 02-08-23, 09:53 PM
Ex Pres 
Cat 6

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked 183 Times in 118 Posts
Start HERE at my Alma Mater

(Va Tech helmet ratings)

72 Frejus (for sale), Holdsworth Record (for sale), special CNC & Gitane Interclub / 74 Italvega NR (for sale) / c80 French / 82 Raleigh Intl MkII f&f (for sale)/ 83 Trek 620 (for sale)/ 84 Bruce Gordon Chinook (for sale)/ 85 Ron Cooper / 87 Centurion IM MV (for sale) / 03 Casati Dardo / 08 BF IRO / 09 Dogma FPX / 09 Giant TCX0 / 10 Vassago Fisticuff

Likes For Ex Pres:
Old 02-09-23, 05:14 AM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 852 Post(s)
Liked 1,433 Times in 815 Posts
Weenie hats are specific to individual weenie heads. They are not all created equal.
Likes For delbiker1:
Old 02-09-23, 05:42 AM
Hondo6

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 549 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 462 Posts
Originally Posted by delbiker1
Weenie hats are specific to individual weenie heads. They are not all created equal.
True. But even a cheap one from WalMart that fits OK works a helluva lot better than your hair to protect your skull.

OP: IMO @zandoval 's advice is sound. You should get one - even a WalMart cheapie - that fits reasonably well and use it while you decide which helmet you want to spring for long-term.

Like others here, using one probably saved me from a concussion - or worse - once.
Likes For Hondo6:
Old 02-09-23, 05:55 AM
Schweinhund

Bikes: a couple

Quoted: 563 Post(s)
Liked 862 Times in 455 Posts
Originally Posted by Hondo6
True. But even a cheap one from WalMart that fits OK works a helluva lot better than your hair to protect your skull.

OP: IMO @zandoval 's advice is sound. You should get one - even a WalMart cheapie - that fits reasonably well and use it while you decide which helmet you want to spring for long-term.

Like others here, using one probably saved me from a concussion - or worse - once.
Funny part is, i would not even slightly consider riding a motorcycle without a helmet.
Likes For Schweinhund:
Old 02-09-23, 05:58 AM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Originally Posted by Hondo6

Absolutely agree. Any helmet is better than no helmet. But, like butts, all heads are different. Plus, I have close to no hair left for even that minimum protection. A helmet that does not fit properly, and/or, is not comfortable, is likely not going to be used, or used in a compromising way.
Likes For delbiker1:
Old 02-09-23, 06:10 AM
gearbasher

Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 376 Posts
I've been using Limar helmets ever since I started wearing one (at 45 years old...yes I was young and dumb). They were advertised as "The World's Lightest Helmet". When I bought my first one, they weren't available in the states, due to no U.S. Certifications at the time. I ordered one from England. I'm on my third one. One was destroyed in a crash and most likely saved me from becoming a vegetable and the other two are still in use. They are available in the US now.
Old 02-09-23, 07:42 AM
BTinNYC 

Bikes: Bicycles? Yup.

Quoted: 476 Post(s)
Liked 1,522 Times in 726 Posts
Who needs a helmet, hell is only half-full.
Old 02-09-23, 07:47 AM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3085 Post(s)
Liked 6,561 Times in 3,763 Posts
Merged another helmet thread into the Helmet Thread 2.

Likes For cb400bill:
Old 02-09-23, 07:49 AM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Originally Posted by BTinNYC
Who needs a helmet, hell is only half-full.
"I'm sure there ain't no heaven, and I pray there ain't no hell"; Blood, Sweat, and Tears, appropriate name for a band for a cycling nut.
Likes For delbiker1:
Old 02-09-23, 11:48 AM
steine13

Bikes: See my albums. I find that listing them here messes up searching.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 316 Times in 141 Posts
Ah, helmets.

I've been riding in anger since 1986 and got my first helmet when I was forced to, in 1993. It was required equipment for an organized ride. And for a long time, I only used one when I had to.

I now ride mostly with a helmet. There was this local story that made an impression on me: Dude is toodling along the bike path, all by his lonesome, when a Canada goose decides to try and fly through his front wheel, with predictable and spectacular results. Several days in the hospital, broken elbow, AND a destroyed helmet.

I've never needed a helmet in my life, nor a seat belt, but I wear a seat belt every time I drive, since I was a kid, and I wear a helmet nearly always when I bike. I rode my motorcycle a couple times without a helmet, and yes, it's more fun that way, totally agree. Scary, too. So after some thinking, I got rid of the motorcycle, because it just wasn't worth it to me anymore. The law here in Michigan was changed so that helmets are no longer mandatory, and I think that's great.

I don't do pacelines anymore unless I know the riders personally. and even then the list of folks I'll follow closely is short. The older I get, the more I value my skin.. which is ironic, since there is less life left at this point. When I've crashed in the past, it was in a paceline, when someone screwed up. I rode in the ambulance with a friend of mine after one such incident. His helmet was destroyed, but he made it.

I'm all for wearing helmets, but there is a problem if we follow the logic of risk: pretty soon you realize we should all wear a helmet while driving, and it would be best if we put one on when we get up in the morning. Another of my friends wiped out on foot, on an evening walk, and hit is head but good. Concussion, MRI, the whole enchilada. Should he have worn a helmet?

I tread lightly when it comes to telling other people what they should do.
I'm a big fan of letting grown-ups decide on their own risk profile.
Smoking drinking extreme sports motorcycles skydiving... have at it.
What's the alternative? We can sit in the basement and wait for the end. Bicycling in traffic is definitely not for the faint of heart.

OK, time to look for a step ladder so I can get down from this soap box.
I hope @Schweinhund gets himself a cover soon, and I hope he never needs it.

cheers -mathias

Last edited by steine13; 02-09-23 at 08:11 PM.
Old 02-09-23, 04:55 PM
Hondo6

Bikes: Yes

Quoted: 549 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 462 Posts
Originally Posted by delbiker1
Absolutely agree. Any helmet is better than no helmet. But, like butts, all heads are different. Plus, I have close to no hair left for even that minimum protection. A helmet that does not fit properly, and/or, is not comfortable, is likely not going to be used, or used in a compromising way.
No argument here. But a cheapie that fits - even if it doesn't fit like the proverbial glove - can literally be a lifesaver while seeking a long-term solution.

I'm relatively certain that the impact I nearly didn't walk away from (and walked away from with a broken wrist and a jammed neck, both of which still give me some problems 26+ years later) happened at less than 25MPH, and maybe less than 20MPH. Don't really want to think what my head might have looked like afterwards if I'd been riding bareheaded.

I'm not positive, but if I recall correctly that helmet was a fairly inexpensive Bell I literally did get at a local WalMart.
Old 02-23-23, 12:31 AM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2693 Post(s)
Liked 485 Times in 350 Posts
Currently commute 14 miles total, helmet hanging on the bars, because I have to wear it on campus at work. Broken one in a crash before and still was concussed; it might have saved my life. I don’t go down hills as fast now. That’s the big takeaway, the cause of the crash, not “Gee wizz I’m glad I was wearing a helmet!”

there are multiple things one can do to be safe on a bicycle. As far as PPE is concerned, it’s generally a “last line of defense” compared to “administrative” or “engineering” controls.

This idea of helmets as an end all be all blanket answer to bicycle safety misses the forrest for the trees. As far as things one can do to being safe on a bicycle, it doesn’t even make top 5 in my book.

the majority of pro riders in history did not wear helmets, and to this day the majority of people who make their living riding their bicycles (not racers but food delivery people) do not wear helmets.

Last edited by LarrySellerz; 02-23-23 at 12:36 AM.
Old 02-23-23, 10:47 AM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1604 Post(s)
Liked 2,569 Times in 1,217 Posts
So would you suggest that if someone likes to go downhill fast they should wear a helmet? I watch pro's get it in some crazy accidents and I think there is wisdom built into them wearing helmets. I'll agree, that there are a lot of risk factors you can avoid but you would take the fun out of riding.
Old 02-23-23, 12:49 PM
Trakhak

Quoted: 2479 Post(s)
Liked 2,947 Times in 1,673 Posts
Originally Posted by curbtender
So would you suggest that if someone likes to go downhill fast they should wear a helmet? I watch pro's get it in some crazy accidents and I think there is wisdom built into them wearing helmets. I'll agree, that there are a lot of risk factors you can avoid but you would take the fun out of riding.
Speed matters very little, unless you run into something or vice versa. Even falling backwards while standing still, your head can hit the ground with, and I quote from wherever I read it, "lethal velocity." A bullet fired horizontally from a gun and a bullet dropped from your hand from the same height will hit the ground at (almost exactly) the same time.

Helmets for cyclists, helmets for soldiers, helmets for construction workers---they're unnecessary until they are, and they can't keep you safe in every possible situation, but smart people wear them for the situations where they'd help. I think of my helmet as a cheap, one-payment add-on to my medical insurance.
Old 02-23-23, 03:36 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,528 Times in 1,041 Posts
Originally Posted by Trakhak
Speed matters very little, unless you run into something or vice versa. Even falling backwards while standing still, your head can hit the ground with, and I quote from wherever I read it, "lethal velocity." A bullet fired horizontally from a gun and a bullet dropped from your hand from the same height will hit the ground at (almost exactly) the same time.
But not with the same velocity, nor the same energy delivered to the ground; bad example.
Old 02-23-23, 04:13 PM
steine13

Bikes: See my albums. I find that listing them here messes up searching.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 316 Times in 141 Posts
>> bad example.

Unfortunately: Great example.

A cycling buddy of mine wiped out near a stand-still and fell to the ground, hitting his head. Got a concussion, had to go to the emergency room, headache, several days off work, etc. etc.
His grown son was with him, and neither of them understands what really happened.

They weren't riding, they were out for a walk.
That's the point I was trying to make several posts up: the logic for wearing a helmet while cycling is sound, but its logical conclusion has you wearing a helmet whenever you are in motion, wether cycling, walking, or driving.

cheers -mathias
Old 03-03-23, 08:28 AM
RoadWearier

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 370 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 74 Posts
Foldable Bike Helmet? Anyone Buy This?

I'm looking for a lightweight helmet for my commute and saw this on Temu. I thought it was a great idea but not if it's garbage. I have a cheaper helmet that I hate. It's heavy and feels like it's perched on my head despite the fact that it is indeed sized and fitted appropriately.

​​​​​ https://share.temu.com/ySJxCNYKnr
Old 03-03-23, 09:09 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7648 Post(s)
Liked 3,465 Times in 1,831 Posts
There are all kinds of lower-cost bike helmets out there which are actual bike helmets---that is, they are liable to fold in an impact, and will actually offer you all the protection a certified safe bike helmet will offer.

I usually don't wear a helmet on the road, but since most group rides require one, and off-road I prefer one .... still I have never paid more than about $30 - $50 for a helmet. I wear Bell because they fit my head, but if I chose to do a serious search i am sure I could find a lot ... and not knock-offs .... last year's leftovers, models which didn't sell well, etc ...

There is Zero reason to wear an uncomfortable helmet. And ... I am sorry if the experts lied to you, but if it is not comfortable it is Not "sized and fitted appropriately." I am surprised I would even have to say this.
Old 03-03-23, 09:22 AM
RoadWearier

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 370 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 74 Posts
You don't have to say anything, really.
Old 03-03-23, 09:35 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7648 Post(s)
Liked 3,465 Times in 1,831 Posts
Originally Posted by RoadWearier
Nor do you, sir. You chose to, I chose to.

Ain't life grand?
Old 03-03-23, 09:35 AM
msu2001la

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1455 Post(s)
Liked 1,477 Times in 867 Posts
I'm looking for a lightweight helmet for my commute and saw this on Temu. I thought it was a great idea but not if it's garbage. I have a cheaper helmet that I hate. It's heavy and feels like it's perched on my head despite the fact that it is indeed sized and fitted appropriately.
Does this helmet actually solve those problems? The folding aspect seems handy for storage, but I don't see how this would have anything to do with the weight or comfortable fit. If anything, it seems like a foldable helmet would make it heavier and less comfortable.

I personally don't have a problem using a regular helmet for commuting, and don't understand how/why a folding helmet would be helpful. I just carry mine, or maybe leave it strapped to my handlebars if I'm running into a store or something.
Old 03-03-23, 09:36 AM
msu2001la

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1455 Post(s)
Liked 1,477 Times in 867 Posts
Oh, it's one of those threads. My bad.

Have fun guys.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.