Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Novice question

Old 02-04-23, 09:12 PM
Average Old Guy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 11 Posts
Novice question

I apologize for asking this question the answer to which is probably common knowledge, but, here it is: On a "road bike", that is, on a bike with the handlebars that turn down so the ends of which point back to the bike -- in looking at photos I see the brake handles on the right and left handlebars, but WHERE ARE THE SHIFTERS? Are they located at the point where the handlebars join the frame? If so, then you have to take one hand off the handlebar to shift gears?
Old 02-04-23, 09:21 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4323 Post(s)
Liked 3,944 Times in 2,637 Posts
Originally Posted by Average Old Guy
I apologize for asking this question the answer to which is probably common knowledge, but, here it is: On a "road bike", that is, on a bike with the handlebars that turn down so the ends of which point back to the bike -- in looking at photos I see the brake handles on the right and left handlebars, but WHERE ARE THE SHIFTERS? Are they located at the point where the handlebars join the frame? If so, then you have to take one hand off the handlebar to shift gears?
Typically on a modern bike on drop bars the brakes and shifters are integrated. Shimano calls their version STI (Shimano Total Integration) SRAM uses DoubleTap (for their mechanical stuff) and Campagnolo uses Ergopower. On vintage bikes typically they are mounted to the downtube and sometimes on cheaper bikes at the stem and on some touring bikes at the bar end. Gevenalle uses a system that takes a standard brake lever and integrates a downtube or bar end style shifter at the front of it.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 02-04-23, 09:24 PM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 179 Posts
No apology needed. Those are called drop bars. Several choices depending upon how old the road bike might be. I've had them on the downtube part of the frame below the headset. (downtube shifters), at the very ends of the handlebars (handlebar shifters, and integrated with the brake handles (brifters?). If you don't see them it probably has the latter. You can see the latter here:
Likes For VegasTriker:
Old 02-04-23, 09:29 PM
biker128pedal

Bikes: 2022 Fuel EX 8, 2021 Domane SL6, Black Beta (Nashbar frame), 2004 Trek 1000C for the trainer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 265 Post(s)
Liked 447 Times in 266 Posts
No apology needed. Time to learn and ride.

The road bike bars you mention most call drop bars. The brakes these days on 99% of bikes are referred to as brifters. The shifters are integral to the brake levers. Right controls rear derailleur and left the front. There is mechanical and digital. For most mechanical pushing the brake levers inward shifts to the larger cog or ring. Behind the brake lever is a small lever that shifts down to smaller cogs.

Take a trip to your local bike shop. They’ll be happy to show and demonstrate all the permutations. Go for a test ride. Pretty soon you’ll have a new ride.

I type too slow on a phone.
Likes For biker128pedal:
Old 02-05-23, 11:07 AM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1016 Post(s)
Liked 781 Times in 413 Posts
In addition to those shifter locations afore mentioned…down tube, bar end (of the handlebar), and integrated (with brake handles)…you may also experience shifters mounted at the stem; twist shifters on the top bar of the handlebar; and even thumb shifters that are usually utilized on mountain, hybrid, and commuter bikes.

Dan
Likes For _ForceD_:
Old 02-05-23, 12:43 PM
Average Old Guy

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 11 Posts
Thanks for all you replies -- told me exactly what I need to know.

I'm in rural VA where the Potomac River joins the Chesapeake Bay; nearest bike shops are in Richmond or Williamsburg, two hours away. Probably will not get to either for couple of months so I'm doing my research online.

Thanks again. This is a great place with lots of helpful people!!
Likes For Average Old Guy:
Old 02-05-23, 12:50 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2738 Post(s)
Liked 3,380 Times in 2,045 Posts
https://twowheelsbetter.net/bike-shifter-types/
https://www.levelninesports.com/lear...n/shifters-101

then there are internal geared hubs (IGH) like 3 speeds with different shifters.
Old 02-05-23, 01:29 PM
Inusuit

Bikes: 1995 Specialized Rockhopper,1989 Specialized Rock Combo, 2013 Specialized Tarmac Elite

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 588 Times in 278 Posts
I have four bicycles, all different shifting methods - brifters, indexed thumb shifters, bar end friction shifters, friction thumb shifters. When I switch rides, it takes a few minutes to remember how to do it. If you choose a bike, the shifts woon will seem logical and easy.
Old 02-05-23, 05:34 PM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1016 Post(s)
Liked 781 Times in 413 Posts
Originally Posted by Average Old Guy
This is a great place with lots of helpful people!!
It certainly can be. But give it time. The monster will likely rear its ugly head in short order. Welcome aboard.

Dan
Likes For _ForceD_:
Old 02-09-23, 07:59 PM
biker128pedal

Bikes: 2022 Fuel EX 8, 2021 Domane SL6, Black Beta (Nashbar frame), 2004 Trek 1000C for the trainer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 265 Post(s)
Liked 447 Times in 266 Posts
Nice riding up in the Reedville area. This spring I want to park in Kilmarnock and ride around. I'm in Gloucester. Yes your choices are a trip. Williamsburg, Newport New and Richmond. Trek and the Contes in Williamsburg have more space for test rides. See Betsy a the Trek store.