Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Hate towards cyclists

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Hate towards cyclists

Old 10-28-22, 06:03 AM
RB1-luvr
I don't know.

Bikes: '90 B'stone RB-1, '92 B'stone RB-2, '89 SuperGo Access Comp, '03 Access 69er, '23 Trek 520, '14 Ritchey Road Logic, '09 Kestrel Evoke, '08 Windsor Tourist, '17 Surly Wednesday, '89 Centurion Accordo, '15 CruX, '17 Ridley X-Night, '89 Marinoni

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 312 Post(s)
Liked 848 Times in 443 Posts
Originally Posted by work4bike
Funny you mention that. When I hiked the Appalachian Trail, one of the worst states WRT friendliness was Connecticut. I don't mean to say that all Connecticuters are bad people, but I was glad to get out of Connecticut.

What I really hated is that Connecticut bans all fires, all the time along the Appalachian Trail

only in the two northern corners can you cycle in relative peace in CT. The people in those areas are much more chill.
Old 10-28-22, 07:32 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2332 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
In my limited experience, Connecticutians hate thruhikers a little more than they hate cyclists.

WRT to traffic lights, none of mine will trigger for a cyclist. Somehow they are also timed by the cars going thru. What this means is if it is just one car, I will be halfway across the highway and the F'n light will change. So, I always hit the pedestrian crosswalk button. That gives me about 30 seconds.

One of my strategies for decades has been to ride in rural areas with horse farms, have a good lawyer, and wave to everybody. I cannot remember the last issue I had locally.
Likes For GhostRider62:
Old 10-28-22, 09:17 AM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Originally Posted by fooferdoggie
we were having a nice enough ride in the rain coming to this street. our bike will trigger the light almost every time so I don't push the button lines it des not. usually you can cross without it anyway but this guy on the other side started screaming at us for not pushing the button. even though it was our bike that triggered it or it would have taken longe. he continued to yell at us as we crossed. bad case of bike path rage I guess.

https://youtu.be/R8f8FCvPs-8
Nice path... strange person.
Old 10-28-22, 09:24 AM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Originally Posted by GhostRider62
In my limited experience, Connecticutians hate thruhikers a little more than they hate cyclists.

WRT to traffic lights, none of mine will trigger for a cyclist. Somehow they are also timed by the cars going thru. What this means is if it is just one car, I will be halfway across the highway and the F'n light will change. So, I always hit the pedestrian crosswalk button. That gives me about 30 seconds.

One of my strategies for decades has been to ride in rural areas with horse farms, have a good lawyer, and wave to everybody. I cannot remember the last issue I had locally.
One neighborhood I lived in in San Diego was all closed in except for two streets out. Going west, the traffic light had a detector in the ground that I could never trigger... even motorcycles could not trigger it... I had to "push the button" every time. I even talked to motorcyclists waiting at the same light... their comments agreed with me, it was a PITA.

The other direction, going N/S had a camera triggered light... it worked perfectly if I wore some contrasting clothing. (nothing dark). I usually wore bright clothing on my commutes, so this worked quite well. Knowing the other light was a dud, I often went north before going west... just to avoid that failed detector.

The contrast between the working and non-working lights just a block or two apart was quite interesting. No matter how many times I reported the non-functioning light, it was never "fixed."
Old 10-28-22, 09:26 AM
Gyro

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 49 Posts
Originally Posted by GhostRider62

In my neck of the woods, motorcycles won't trigger lights to change. Forget about cyclists doing it.
Likes For Gyro:
Old 10-28-22, 01:00 PM
work4bike

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3769 Post(s)
Liked 1,035 Times in 783 Posts
In my area, you can see the cutout in the road where the sensors are located, as long as you ride on top any one of those lines, the light will be triggered. The only problem is that some of them cause my computer to max out in speed display. I hate that.
Old 10-28-22, 02:05 PM
fooferdoggie 

Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Liked 947 Times in 554 Posts
Originally Posted by genec
Nice path... strange person.
ya it was one of the stranger things. I am used to people in cars yelling at me.
Old 10-28-22, 03:09 PM
mdarnton

Bikes: nothing to brag about

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked 206 Times in 116 Posts
Originally Posted by Oldairhead
I tend to take a moment after the light turns green to look both ways before proceeding. Someone running a red light will take you out in a heartbeat if you are too quick into the intersection.
I've been trying to ride more carefully and spent some time on YouTube watching accident clips just to see what were the most common problems to watch out for. One of the top causes was people completely running lights, fast. Today driving (car) home someone blew right through a left turn solid (not flashing) red arrow just as I hit the intersection from the other side. I see run reds all the time on my commute, sometimes just barely red, but often enough as today, through a red that's been there a while (I saw someone run this same one yesterday on my bike, too).

Then also coming home, three blocks later, the car ahead of me suddenly stopped cold on a green.

The thing I learned from watching videos is that as much as you think it would be hard to mess up in obvious situations, people WILL find a way. Add to that the rampant hostility that has been brought to the surface recently, quite a few people seem to have gone over the edge. Drive/ride carefully.
Old 10-28-22, 04:52 PM
JW Fas
Cop Magnet

Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked 276 Times in 128 Posts
Originally Posted by mdarnton
The thing I learned from watching videos is that as much as you think it would be hard to mess up in obvious situations, people WILL find a way.
The moment you think you've idiot-proofed something, somebody invents a better idiot.
Old 10-28-22, 04:53 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1430 Post(s)
Liked 330 Times in 218 Posts
Imagine you bike to work every day and motor vehicles were hogging the bike lane doing 3 mph (and it was totally legal) while you are capable of doing 18 mph on your bike. Might that get frustrating?

Put yourself in the other guy's shoes. Just because it's legal doesn't mean you should do it. If you're cool with slowing down traffic for your "hobby" (as motorists see you) then why should the other guy have to suffer courtesy? No excuse for violence tho.

Last edited by JoeyBike; 10-28-22 at 05:09 PM.
Likes For JoeyBike:
Old 10-28-22, 08:10 PM
Gear_Admiral 

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by work4bike
I live in Jacksonville Fl, supposedly one of the least cyclist-friendly cities in a state that's also suppose to be unfriendly toward cyclists. I get the typical stuff we all get as cyclists, such as, "get off the road", "get on the sidewalk", horns blown... However, it's not that much, at least compared to other places I've lived. Actually it's very, very little, so little I can't recall the last time I got yelled at or had a horn blown at me.

I think a lot of it has to do with how the cyclist rides.
Sounds nicer than Miami, St. Augustine, Tampa, and Gainesville, and Ocala. Never spent time in Jax.

On second point, hard disagree. You cannot win with some people. Some people would roll coal on you when you're just walking on a separate sidewalk.
Old 10-28-22, 09:09 PM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,017 Times in 571 Posts
Rarely encounter hostile drivers in Tallahassee. Although I live and mostly ride outside the city on low traffic roads.
Old 10-29-22, 11:08 AM
JW Fas
Cop Magnet

Originally Posted by JoeyBike
Imagine you bike to work every day and motor vehicles were hogging the bike lane doing 3 mph (and it was totally legal) while you are capable of doing 18 mph on your bike. Might that get frustrating?

Put yourself in the other guy's shoes. Just because it's legal doesn't mean you should do it. If you're cool with slowing down traffic for your "hobby" (as motorists see you) then why should the other guy have to suffer courtesy? No excuse for violence tho.
The problem with your attempt to elicit empathy is that it's not grounded in reality. Putting yourself in another person's shoes only means something when you're dealing with how the world actually works. It's not legal for a motor vehicle to putter along in the bike lane, so trying to put oneself in another person's shoes elicits a false result based on a false premise.
Old 10-29-22, 12:33 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1480 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts

Firstly, that motor vehicle already has his lane and had it for about 100 years. So there's no reason or excuse for the driver to say he had nowhere else to drive on.

Secondly, if that motor vehicle were hogging the bike lane, then that's the reason for the cyclist to go into the car lane as he would already do as there are so many motor vehicles parked there. Cars in the bike lane are the reason cyclists ride in the car lane. Not the other way around.
Old 10-29-22, 01:48 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Originally Posted by JW Fas
The problem with your attempt to elicit empathy is that it's not grounded in reality.
Well, when parables don't work (I'm not as good as Jesus at those stories anyway) I should type in plain English.

The title of this thread is "Hate towards cyclists", as if that's some big mystery. Motorists HATE us because we are often "in their way" and impeding their "god-given" right to unimpeded travel.

There are other reasons motorists have CONTEMPT for us. Some of us wear laughably funny clothes like a goofy cult. Some of us are truly rude and unnecessarily "in the way". Some of us act like "Share The Road" only applies to other road users. Some of us blatantly disobey traffic laws. And some of us look like we're having too much fun getting to where we're going.

Bottom line: Cyclists often impede motorist travel. Plain and simple. That's why they hate us.
Likes For JoeyBike:
Old 10-31-22, 12:58 AM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3857 Post(s)
Liked 6,449 Times in 3,189 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
last time someone yelled at me ... "FU Yuppie!"
Damn. I really miss the '80s.
Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 10-31-22, 01:03 AM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3857 Post(s)
Liked 6,449 Times in 3,189 Posts
When parables don't work ... I'm not as good as Jesus at those stories, anyway.
Was he really that "good"? A few of those still don't make a lick of sense. The parable of the many murders? The parable of the unpopular banquet?
Old 10-31-22, 03:04 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Originally Posted by SurferRosa
Was he really that "good"? A few of those still don't make a lick of sense. The parable of the many murders? The parable of the unpopular banquet?
I think you had to be there. Working the crowd and watching their reactions.
Likes For JoeyBike:
Old 10-31-22, 08:41 PM
tungsten

Bikes: 1962 Cinelli Mod. "B" / 1988 Bailey 531c /2 - '92 Rocky Vertexs' / Obed Baseline / Transition Scout/ Raleigh Willard

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 41 Posts
I like the saying "An armed society is a polite society."
That is f*cked up!
Old 10-31-22, 10:13 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1480 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
Originally Posted by Alleytom
...I like the saying "An armed society is a polite society." ...
That's the same kind of logic that makes school zones so dangerous because parents drive their kids to school for their safety.
Old 11-02-22, 06:47 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
Well, when parables don't work (I'm not as good as Jesus at those stories anyway) I should type in plain English.

The title of this thread is "Hate towards cyclists", as if that's some big mystery. Motorists HATE us because we are often "in their way" and impeding their "god-given" right to unimpeded travel.

There are other reasons motorists have CONTEMPT for us. Some of us wear laughably funny clothes like a goofy cult. Some of us are truly rude and unnecessarily "in the way". Some of us act like "Share The Road" only applies to other road users. Some of us blatantly disobey traffic laws. And some of us look like we're having too much fun getting to where we're going.

Bottom line: Cyclists often impede motorist travel. Plain and simple. That's why they hate us.
Utter horsecrap, especially the assertions that you have bolded. Motorists view cyclists as being "in their way" precisely because they view the road as "their way", while cyclists are considered interlopers. And my understanding is you rarely drive--if you actually drove an appreciable amount, you'd almost certainly notice that impeded traffic is almost never the result of cyclists, but is the result of trying to get too many cars through various arteries, fender benders, motorists needing to wait for an opening to turn left, and any number of reasons only involving motorized vehicles.

Bottom line: Cyclists rarely impede motorist travel. Plain and simple. Motorists' prejudice against the use of roads by cyclists causes them to view any reduction to the speed limit or slightly under as being an "impediment" and confirmation bias causes them to remember each such incident vividly while basically ignoring and/or forgetting the vastly higher number of times they were :"impeded" by the actions of other motorists. You want to make causal claims about the hostility of drivers? The burden of proof is on you to prove it. Mere assertion is just that.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 11-06-22, 04:41 AM
Amitoj

Bikes: Bianchi Campione, Specialized Diverge Comp E5

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
Bottom line: Cyclists rarely impede motorist travel. Plain and simple. Motorists' prejudice against the use of roads by cyclists causes them to view any reduction to the speed limit or slightly under as being an "impediment" and confirmation bias causes them to remember each such incident vividly while basically ignoring and/or forgetting the vastly higher number of times they were :"impeded" by the actions of other motorists. You want to make causal claims about the hostility of drivers? The burden of proof is on you to prove it. Mere assertion is just that.
Can't agree more.
This "impeding traffic" thing is so overblown that no one stops to see if it makes any sense. Instead the rider is blamed for riding in a place that is "not safe" and is asked to seek alternate routes. I was out riding one morning with my new action camera mounted on the handlebar and captured this close call. I posted this on a local Facebook community page to show how not to overtake a bicyclist. I got blamed by a large number of people for being there, even when it was clear that the driver was in violation of the 3 feet law. Serves me right for posting this on facebook and expecting sane responses, LOL. Anyway, I didn't like it but what finally shut them all up was that asking a rider to ride somewhere else that is "safe" is somewhat like asking women to not venture out alone after dark, or not go to places that may not be safe. Maybe it was too much for me to expect that people understand that it is not the roads that are dangerous, it is the reckless drivers on those roads that make them dangerous.
In the end, I reached out to the local Police Department and shared this video with them. They were able to track down the driver and make them aware of the mistake they made.
Likes For Amitoj:
Old 11-06-22, 10:01 AM
JW Fas
Cop Magnet

Originally Posted by Amitoj
Can't agree more.
This "impeding traffic" thing is so overblown that no one stops to see if it makes any sense. Instead the rider is blamed for riding in a place that is "not safe" and is asked to seek alternate routes. I was out riding one morning with my new action camera mounted on the handlebar and captured this close call. I posted this on a local Facebook community page to show how not to overtake a bicyclist. I got blamed by a large number of people for being there, even when it was clear that the driver was in violation of the 3 feet law. Serves me right for posting this on facebook and expecting sane responses, LOL. Anyway, I didn't like it but what finally shut them all up was that asking a rider to ride somewhere else that is "safe" is somewhat like asking women to not venture out alone after dark, or not go to places that may not be safe. Maybe it was too much for me to expect that people understand that it is not the roads that are dangerous, it is the reckless drivers on those roads that make them dangerous.
In the end, I reached out to the local Police Department and shared this video with them. They were able to track down the driver and make them aware of the mistake they made.
My close call
Three-foot law or not, no one should ever overtake another vehicle when going around a blind turn or uphill. This was both.
Personally, I position myself towards the center line when biking around a right-hand turn, because that makes me most visible to overtaking and oncoming traffic. It also prevents unsafe passing. Around a left-hand turn I position myself in the center of the lane to maximize visibility and keep me from edge riding.
Likes For JW Fas:
Old 11-07-22, 04:00 AM
Amitoj

Bikes: Bianchi Campione, Specialized Diverge Comp E5

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by JW Fas
Three-foot law or not, no one should ever overtake another vehicle when going around a blind turn or uphill. This was both.
Personally, I position myself towards the center line when biking around a right-hand turn, because that makes me most visible to overtaking and oncoming traffic. It also prevents unsafe passing. Around a left-hand turn I position myself in the center of the lane to maximize visibility and keep me from edge riding.
Very true about bad overtaking and lane positioning. This happened around 7:40 on a Saturday morning and there was really no traffic on the road other than these 3 vehicles you see in the video. Plus this was on a 12% grade so I was slow. All this made me think that waiting a couple of seconds would not be that big a deal for drivers. Heh. Obviously I was wrong.
Old 11-15-22, 12:08 PM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Originally Posted by baobao
Anyone see this story?
https://www.foxnews.com/us/tampa-man...ron-police-say

I often get honked at if i am on road with 40mph speed limit if there is no shoulder and i have to for safety take the road for 25 to 50 yards.

I try to prevent annoying drivers by waiting my palm,but ocassionally i get a driver yell ass**** ...get off the road

I ask waive thumbs up as thank you fir their comments
This unfortunately is the product of the ME generation that dont think of other people's rights.
Likes For rydabent:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.