Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Is girooutlet legit?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Is girooutlet legit?

Old 01-31-23, 07:04 AM
Bogey Speedwell

Bikes: Cannondale Topstone, Trek Dual Sport, State Bicycle Klunker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 127 Times in 67 Posts
Is girooutlet legit?

Hope this is ok,

My tight arse, has been mulling over a different helmet and stumbled ofer this site. Girooutlet.com. They have some crazy deals but a couple of red flags I noticed. While everything they sell seems to be Giro branded, I don’t notice any Giro trademarks. Secondly I wanted to use PayPal to add the extra layer of safety, they say they accept PP but don’t have the option in the cart when I check out. I see no reviews on this anywhere.

Not too afraid of getting scammed for 100 or less, but submitting CC info is a bit scary.
Old 01-31-23, 07:12 AM
Bogey Speedwell

Update another huge red flag, I googled the address, while it does not come up as a valid address. There are many many new discount businesses using that invalid address.

after seeing this I would suggest it’s a pass.
Old 01-31-23, 07:20 AM
FBOATSB

Bikes: Old Stuff

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 514 Times in 343 Posts
https://www.scamwatcher.com/scam/view/596261
Likes For FBOATSB:
Old 01-31-23, 08:46 AM
Shadco 
Resident PIA

Bikes: Gunnar Roadie, Look 765 Optimum, Spesh Aethos

Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 183 Posts
Originally Posted by FBOATSB
Who would have thought that a scam watcher sit would object to ad blockers?

I don't know where I am now...
05 Gunnar Roadie Chorus/Record
67'er
Old 01-31-23, 09:33 AM
FBOATSB

Bikes: Old Stuff

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 514 Times in 343 Posts
Originally Posted by Shadco
Who would have thought that a scam watcher sit would object to ad blockers?

I just googled "girooutlet.com scam?" and a whole list of bad reports popped up
Old 01-31-23, 09:43 AM
EVlove

Bikes: 1980 Dawes Super Galaxy + 1981 Lotus Classique + 1986 Bianchi Sport SX + 2005 Van Dessel Project WR + 2021 Zizzo Liberté

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 217 Posts
The standard answer is "if you have to ask, then it's not." Sounds snarky but is really just common sense.

What ticks me off is that Google doesn't keep this kind of scum out of their shopping results.
Old 01-31-23, 11:02 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10897 Post(s)
Liked 7,384 Times in 4,144 Posts
I genuinely cant remember the last time someone here asked 'Is this site legit?' and it actually was legit.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 01-31-23, 12:45 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4251 Post(s)
Liked 3,861 Times in 2,577 Posts
Do we really need to go through this again??? No none of the sites are legit whatever site you come up with that you have doubts about is not. Trying to save money can easily be a loosing game when you are just trying to find the absolute bargin bin. Find authorized dealers there are plenty of them and you will appreciate having the real deal without the scam and your wallet and credit card company will as well
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 01-31-23, 06:29 PM
Bogey Speedwell

Originally Posted by EVlove
The standard answer is "if you have to ask, then it's not." Sounds snarky but is really just common sense.

What ticks me off is that Google doesn't keep this kind of scum out of their shopping results.
. Nothing snarky about it.

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
I genuinely cant remember the last time someone here asked 'Is this site legit?' and it actually was legit.
I simply had hope, lol Honestly I’m guilty of returning to the same retailers too frequently so this is the first site that I’ve had an interest in something that didn’t pan out to be real.
Old 01-31-23, 06:40 PM
Bogey Speedwell

Originally Posted by veganbikes
Do we really need to go through this again??? No none of the sites are legit whatever site you come up with that you have doubts about is not. Trying to save money can easily be a loosing game when you are just trying to find the absolute bargin bin. Find authorized dealers there are plenty of them and you will appreciate having the real deal without the scam and your wallet and credit card company will as well
yeah I get it, but when the closest full service LBS that may have a selection is 1 hour in one direction and 1.5 hours in the other direction. It’s not always convenient to go there & not see something I’m interested in. I’ve been guilty of settling and buying something because it’s in front of me and the shop I stepped in was super helpful. I do travel for a living and may occasionally peek my head in a shop when time permits, but that may be only every couple months or so.

it was a helmet…. Not much to go wrong with it. Pretty sure there are other popular items we all use frequently that most of us turn to the internet for, jersey’s are one thing that comes to mind.
Old 01-31-23, 07:24 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Originally Posted by Bogey Speedwell
yeah I get it, but when the closest full service LBS that may have a selection is 1 hour in one direction and 1.5 hours in the other direction. It’s not always convenient to go there & not see something I’m interested in. I’ve been guilty of settling and buying something because it’s in front of me and the shop I stepped in was super helpful. I do travel for a living and may occasionally peek my head in a shop when time permits, but that may be only every couple months or so.

it was a helmet…. Not much to go wrong with it. Pretty sure there are other popular items we all use frequently that most of us turn to the internet for, jersey’s are one thing that comes to mind.
I get it to a point but you have legit brick and mortar shops selling online or at least actual legit online sellers authorized to sell the product. No need for shady stuff numba one bahgin $ave money, good deal!
Old 01-31-23, 07:33 PM
Bogey Speedwell

I get it to a point but you have legit brick and mortar shops selling online or at least actual legit online sellers authorized to sell the product. No need for shady stuff numba one bahgin $ave money, good deal!
true, but it’s hard to define “legit brick and mortar shops” without research, which was kind of what I was doing right?

The place could have been legit. Could have been a LBS that had purchased other close out product or perhaps another retiring LBS. you never know until you investigate.
Old 01-31-23, 07:45 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

true, but it’s hard to define “legit brick and mortar shops” without research, which was kind of what I was doing right?

The place could have been legit. Could have been a LBS that had purchased other close out product or perhaps another retiring LBS. you never know until you investigate.
I mean the name of the website sounds like a scam. A bike shop would be unlikely to have a girooulet website when it would be way cheaper to use their own like say MellowJohnnys.com or Wastyn.com (two well known shops). I mean if there is a doubt that is a good sign I wouldn't want to purchase in the first place.
Old 01-31-23, 07:56 PM
Bogey Speedwell

I mean the name of the website sounds like a scam. A bike shop would be unlikely to have a girooulet website when it would be way cheaper to use their own like say MellowJohnnys.com or Wastyn.com (two well known shops). I mean if there is a doubt that is a good sign I wouldn't want to purchase in the first place.
yup lot of concerns, again that’s why I didn’t purchase, and don’t feel ashamed that I asked.

Honestly, doesn’t cost much to obtain a LLC or even less for a Sole Proprietorship, getting a domain name isn’t that much of an investment. That particular scammer appears to have many domains
Old 01-31-23, 08:01 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

yup lot of concerns, again that’s why I didn’t purchase, and don’t feel ashamed that I asked.

Honestly, doesn’t cost much to obtain a LLC or even less for a Sole Proprietorship, getting a domain name isn’t that much of an investment. That particular scammer appears to have many domains
You shouldn't feel ashamed for asking but people ask these questions a lot around here. I think they are the new chain lube...LOL

True but still most shops wouldn't buy a second website to sell product they sell in their shop. Unless running two different businesses or something but most bike shop owners aren't the spend a lot of money on useless expenses type.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 02-01-23, 07:20 AM
EVlove

Bikes: 1980 Dawes Super Galaxy + 1981 Lotus Classique + 1986 Bianchi Sport SX + 2005 Van Dessel Project WR + 2021 Zizzo Liberté

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 217 Posts
No it wasn't just a helmet, it's criminals trying to get your credit card info. Good grief you're naïve.
Old 02-01-23, 08:42 AM
Bogey Speedwell

Originally Posted by EVlove
No it wasn't just a helmet, it's criminals trying to get your credit card info. Good grief you're naïve.
read the entire thread, the quote you grabbed was in reference to internet purchasing & LBS, and the services they provide. Not much to go wrong with a helmet, meaning if it failed I have confidence I would just throw it away versus asking for service.

Last edited by Bogey Speedwell; 02-01-23 at 03:56 PM. Reason: Rethought my response. Don’t need to go there