Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Goofy Glasses: Look like a **** but get down long and low with no Neck Pain

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Goofy Glasses: Look like a **** but get down long and low with no Neck Pain

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-23, 01:37 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3943 Post(s)
Liked 7,286 Times in 2,942 Posts
Originally Posted by timtak
In order to remain fit and slim, I think it helps to reduce frontal surface area, by keeping your back fairly level to the ground (requiring, if you wear spectacles, goofy glasses, or a craned up neck).
Total nonsense.
Old 02-05-23, 02:20 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10397 Post(s)
Liked 11,857 Times in 6,071 Posts
In order to remain fit and slim, I think it helps to reduce frontal surface area, by keeping your back fairly level to the ground (requiring, if you wear spectacles, goofy glasses, or a craned up neck).

I did a Google image search for your Canyon Endurace and took screen-shots of the thumbnails where people were riding *on* the saddle.

It seems to encourage are more "relaxed" position, since after all it is a longer distance bike, "endurance" bike but some of the riders are riding aggressively. Bikes like this seem to encourage bursts of aerodynamic riding rather than riding aerodynamically for a long period of time.

Canyon Endurance
I think that the smaller drops of modern pro-peloton bikes tend to result in the same thing. I would love an Endurace. I would slam it, put non compact handlebars on it, and negatively angled stem, and ride for about three hours a day, looking out of the tops of my goofy glasses.
Why do that, when you could get the Ultimate, which has a lower stack height and longer reach? Seems rather silly.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 02-05-23, 02:29 AM
timtak

Bikes: Trek Madone 5.2 SL 2007, Look KG386, R022 Re-framed Azzurri Primo, Felt Z5, Trek F7.3 FX

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 404 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 73 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
Why do that, when you could get the Ultimate, which has a lower stack height and longer reach? Seems rather silly.
I don’t suppose I could afford either but I am guessing the Ultimate is even more expensive than the Endurace (c. 3500USD it seems).
Old 02-05-23, 02:33 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Also, the thing about shallow drop bars is that it they allow you do get more aerodynamic than deep drop bars, because you can ride with a level back and level forearms, vs a level back and vertical forearms on deep drop bars. See the article that I posted above, which others posted to you earlier, where people actually tested different positions rather than hypothesizing.

Old 02-05-23, 02:37 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

I don’t suppose I could afford either but I am guessing the Ultimate is even more expensive than the Endurace (c. 3500USD it seems).
Nope. Endurace CF SL 8 Disc and Ultimate CF SL 8 Disc are the same price - $3K.

Old 02-05-23, 05:26 AM
timtak

Bikes: Trek Madone 5.2 SL 2007, Look KG386, R022 Re-framed Azzurri Primo, Felt Z5, Trek F7.3 FX

Nope. Endurace CF SL 8 Disc and Ultimate CF SL 8 Disc are the same price - $3K.
If I get rich I may buy one. While frame aerodynamics make only a few percent of difference, I bet it feels great to ride. And, according a page that was showing Nairoman's Ultimate, "Professional road racers tend to select frames 1 to 2 sizes smaller than the recommended size by the manufacturer," So I would probably get an S looking like this

Sweet

My Look KG 386 is a bit aero (semi-internally routed cables, rear wheel cut out, shaped tubes -- but perhaps not wind-tunnel tested) but my Trek is not. I would like to try a full-aero road bike but embedded cables, especially through even the stem and head tube, may make for more fiddly maintenance so I think I would need to get generally richer, so that I could employ bike mechanics before I splash out.

Also, the thing about shallow drop bars is that it they allow you do get more aerodynamic than deep drop bars, because you can ride with a level back and level forearms, vs a level back and vertical forearms on deep drop bars.
I remember the article from before and it is very true. At the same time, I find level forearms in the drops or holding the hooks to be tiring. It seems to me that the trend is towards walkie-talkie-connected, super-coordinated pace-lines where the pole rider gets into the mega-aero, level-forearmed, hook position for 10-12.5% of the time (assuming a 8 to 10 person team). Super.

But I spend zero time in a pace line, so my sphinx with level forearms, or drops at 45% forearm, or hooks at similar, are okay for me. Forearms are important but torso angle is imho far more important, (since torsos have far more area than forearms) so I want the bike that lets me ride level torso (in a variety of more or less aero forearm positions) for as long as possible.

Tim

Last edited by timtak; 02-05-23 at 05:52 AM.
Old 02-05-23, 10:59 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

If I get rich I may buy one. While frame aerodynamics make only a few percent of difference, I bet it feels great to ride. And, according a page that was showing Nairoman's Ultimate, "Professional road racers tend to select frames 1 to 2 sizes smaller than the recommended size by the manufacturer," So I would probably get an S looking like this

Sweet

My Look KG 386 is a bit aero (semi-internally routed cables, rear wheel cut out, shaped tubes -- but perhaps not wind-tunnel tested) but my Trek is not. I would like to try a full-aero road bike but embedded cables, especially through even the stem and head tube, may make for more fiddly maintenance so I think I would need to get generally richer, so that I could employ bike mechanics before I splash out.

I remember the article from before and it is very true. At the same time, I find level forearms in the drops or holding the hooks to be tiring. It seems to me that the trend is towards walkie-talkie-connected, super-coordinated pace-lines where the pole rider gets into the mega-aero, level-forearmed, hook position for 10-12.5% of the time (assuming a 8 to 10 person team). Super.

But I spend zero time in a pace line, so my sphinx with level forearms, or drops at 45% forearm, or hooks at similar, are okay for me. Forearms are important but torso angle is imho far more important, (since torsos have far more area than forearms) so I want the bike that lets me ride level torso (in a variety of more or less aero forearm positions) for as long as possible.

Tim
I have determined how low I can go in terms of bar drop and it's about 10 cm. I had a bike with an 11 cm drop, and it was okay for 20-30 mile rides, but after a 60 mile ride - even though I wasn't uncomfortable on the ride itself, I was getting lower back twinges for days. So, as in inflexible old guy who has to roll his pelvis rather than bending forward, I tend to go larger. My Canyon is a Large, with 12.5mm of spacers, and that allows me to get my back basically level in either aero hoods or drops, and still pedal effectively. It took time and practice to be able to do aero hoods for any distance, but now I can hold the position for several miles at a stretch. I tend to switch back and forth between that and drops on several long, straight-ish segments of my usual rides which are level or slightly downhill, where I'm going >25 mph. But I can't do the whole ride like that, and honestly, there's not much point to doing so, given that at slower speeds aerodynamic drag is less of a factor, so mostly I ride on the hoods.

Old 02-05-23, 05:15 PM
timtak

I have determined how low I can go in terms of bar drop and it's about 10 cm. I had a bike with an 11 cm drop, and it was okay for 20-30 mile rides, but after a 60 mile ride - even though I wasn't uncomfortable on the ride itself, I was getting lower back twinges for days. So, as in inflexible old guy who has to roll his pelvis rather than bending forward, I tend to go larger. My Canyon is a Large, with 12.5mm of spacers, and that allows me to get my back basically level in either aero hoods or drops, and still pedal effectively. It took time and practice to be able to do aero hoods for any distance, but now I can hold the position for several miles at a stretch. I tend to switch back and forth between that and drops on several long, straight-ish segments of my usual rides which are level or slightly downhill, where I'm going >25 mph. But I can't do the whole ride like that, and honestly, there's not much point to doing so, given that at slower speeds aerodynamic drag is less of a factor, so mostly I ride on the hoods.
Sounds like me.I think if I were to be followed by a drone the footage would show that I am aero for a similar amount of time.

The goofy glasses, stem, aero position are what I aim for and I want to make sure that they are facilitated so that I can exert myself, or conversely that I am not encouraging myself to relax while exercising. As I have often said, I compare my bike to my trousers. Thin jeans and baggy slacks both, encourage me to fit them.

At the same time I have left my steerer tubes uncut because I anticipate that I will need a more relaxed ride as I get older.

It has been fun though.
Likes For timtak:
Old 02-07-23, 04:26 PM
MikeWMass

Bikes: Velosolex St. Tropez, LeMond Zurich (spine bike), Rotator swb recumbent

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 32 Posts
There are bifocal contact lenses, and there is monovision (which I have) where one eye is near prescription and the other is distance.
Some people have trouble adapting to the latter, but I love it.
Old 02-07-23, 07:25 PM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 573 Posts
Originally Posted by MikeWMass
There are bifocal contact lenses, and there is monovision (which I have) where one eye is near prescription and the other is distance.
Some people have trouble adapting to the latter, but I love it.
I can't imagine what that does to your depth perception if only one eye can see distant.
Old 02-07-23, 07:41 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7649 Post(s)
Liked 3,465 Times in 1,831 Posts
Originally Posted by Lombard
I can't imagine what that does to your depth perception if only one eye can see distant.
Both eyes can still see .... just one can focus better at greater distances and the other, closer. it is not like there is some range at which one eye shuts down and the other takes over.
Old 02-07-23, 07:43 PM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 573 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
Both eyes can still see .... just one can focus better at greater distances and the other, closer. it is not like there is some range at which one eye shuts down and the other takes over.
But if you are looking at a distant object, only one eye will see that object clearly while it will be blurred for the other eye, no?
Old 02-07-23, 08:22 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3943 Post(s)
Liked 7,286 Times in 2,942 Posts
Originally Posted by Lombard
But if you are looking at a distant object, only one eye will see that object clearly while it will be blurred for the other eye, no?
It doesn't matter if one or both eyes are out of focus, you can still judge distance to objects you can see.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 02-08-23, 11:22 AM
MikeWMass

Bikes: Velosolex St. Tropez, LeMond Zurich (spine bike), Rotator swb recumbent

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 32 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
Exactly
I guess if your vision was so bad in the near eye it might be a problem; this might be why some people don't tolerate monovision, but for me it is seamless.
Your brain is pretty good at figuring things out!
Old 02-08-23, 01:35 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7649 Post(s)
Liked 3,465 Times in 1,831 Posts
Originally Posted by MikeWMass
Your brain is pretty good at figuring things out!
I see you have not met my brain ........
Likes For Maelochs: