Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

3D Printed Accessories / Mounts

Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

3D Printed Accessories / Mounts

Old 04-19-15, 05:13 AM
long john

Bikes: cuevas

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
This is a just so cool. Is the software to create these parts included with the printer. I see maker bot and
dremel for 1,000. Again so cool science tec bike hacks.
Old 04-19-15, 08:34 AM
WheresWaldo
Ride it like you stole it

Bikes: 2012 Cannondale EVO Ultegra Di2, Pedal Force Aeroblade, Rue Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by dwmckee
I love this thread! I have not had need for anything you guys are making yet, but I am getting some ideas of my own. I have made several of my own parts in the past as I have access to lathes and mills at a machine shop, but this idea of additive custom manufacture is going to open a lot of new possibilities in biking! This is just the beginning and I bet this will eventually become its own forum as it starts to really take off!
So I am happy you see that additive manufacturing has a place and can do things that machining cannot. But there are also things that can be designed that cannot be printed without support material or in separate pieces. Here is an article about a company called Charge Bikes that co-developed a set of 3D printed titanium dropouts. 3ders.org - Charge Bikes & EADS 3D printing titanium bicycle parts | 3D Printing news, the original article was from road.cc but it appears gone from their website, it was from 2012.

Originally Posted by long john
This is a just so cool. Is the software to create these parts included with the printer. I see maker bot and
Sadly no for the most part. Low end (<= $1000) usually rely on a collection of opensource software, mid to higher end consumer printers may or may not have proprietary software included (usually $1200 +), of course commercial printers are all likely proprietary. The Dremel has some good reviews for a plug and pray kind of printer, it is a copy of the Flashforge Dreamer (review) with a few less options. Makerbot, like so many others that do it their way only has both lovers and haters. They are a closed system and many Makers (that is what 3D printer people call themselves) are very against closed systems. But is is popular and it does work.

The most common Slicer/Print software used in consumer 3D printing is Repetier-Host, Cura and Slic3r. There are a slew of free and paid 3D modeling software. Here is an incomplete list of free and commercial software: https://www.3ders.org/3d-software/3d-software-list.html

Last edited by WheresWaldo; 04-19-15 at 08:43 AM.
Old 04-20-15, 11:13 PM
WheresWaldo

3D Print Files for Virb to GoPro Adapter

If you have the need for a Virb to GoPro adapter and don't want to buy a whole set of mounts. You have or have access to a 3D printer. I have posted the print files for a version of the same. It uses the Virb thumbscrew and an M4 acorn nut or M4 nylon insert lock nut on the Garmin side and the standard GoPro style thumbscrew on the other.

Virb to GoPro Mount Adapter on YouMagine
Virb to GoPro Mount Adapter on Thingiverse

Just my way of saying thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: png
Virb to GoPro Adapter.png (43.7 KB, 629 views)
Old 04-21-15, 10:28 AM
WheresWaldo

Custom 3D printed GoPro seat post mounts (free download)

Anyone who has a 3D printer or has access to a 3D printer and wants a size specific seat post mount for their GoPro style action camera. I have posted 2 simplified designs on YouMagine. They both look essentially the same, one is size specific to 27.2 mm round seat posts the other to 31.6 mm.

To print have your slicer program re-position the two halves and add support material. Cut away the support material after printing. The mounts use two M3 x 15 mm socket head cap screws and matching M3 nylon insert lock nuts to secure it to the seat post. A standard GoPro style thumbscrew and acorn nut (M5) attaches the camera.

31.6 GoPro Seat Post Mount
27.2 GoPro Seat Post Mount

My way of saying thanks to this community. If you do not want to print your own I have more streamlined versions of these in many more sizes on my Shapeways page (see link in signature), plus stuff for Garmin and Sony too!
Old 04-21-15, 10:52 AM
ItsJustMe
Señior Member

Bikes: Windsor Fens, Giant Seek 0 (2014, Alfine 8 + discs)

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
You must ride on very smooth roads. If I mounted a camera on that the footage would be unusable. Way too springy. I have to keep my designs extremely thick and rigid.
Old 04-21-15, 02:12 PM
WheresWaldo

I don't use a GoPro, I use a much lighter camera the Sony HDR-AZ1. If I wanted it for a GoPro, I would make the arm shorter by about 1". I have no problem with chip seal roads and camera shake. There are SHORT ARM versions included with the YouMagine files. The short arm version places the mount just over 1" away from the seat post when the camera is mounted in the upright orientation.

From the year and a half that I lived in Saint Claire Shores, I don't remember ever driving on a single smooth road in the entire state of Michigan.
Attached Images
Old 04-21-15, 08:56 PM
ItsJustMe
Señior Member

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by WheresWaldo
From the year and a half that I lived in Saint Claire Shores, I don't remember ever driving on a single smooth road in the entire state of Michigan.
Yeah, if I don't mount my camera either on my helmet so my neck takes up the shock, or as rigidly as possible to my frame, the video looks like it was shot in a paint shaker.
Old 04-25-15, 06:14 PM
ItsJustMe
Señior Member

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Here's my VIRB to bar adapter. It's done in OpenSCAD so it's fully parametric if you need to tweak it. Also the VIRB mount is a separate module so if you need to print a VIRB mount on top of a lego brick or a Yoda head, knock yourself out.

https://www.youmagine.com/designs/ga...unt-parametric

As always, my stuff is CC0 public domain licensed.
Old 04-25-15, 09:17 PM
ItsJustMe
Señior Member

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by long john
Well, there's no one "software" that's right for everything. There are probably at least a couple dozen pieces of software commonly used for 3D modelling. Some are great for some things and lousy for others.

There's a TON of free/open source modelling software. Unless you're doing professional work for pay, there's really no need to pay for it.

I am a programmer and mostly I make mechanical parts which are mostly geometric shapes, and I like to make my stuff parametric so that I can easily change sizes of screws, mounts, etc, so I use OpenSCAD.

There's Google Sketchup, and Autocad's 123D Design and 123D Sculpt, there's Tinkercad, Blender, several other popular free tools.

Heck, Blender is free but it's also what's used by many movie houses doing 100 million dollar big budget films to do their 3D rendering.
Old 04-26-15, 05:14 AM
long john

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by ItsJustMe
Well, there's no one "software" that's right for everything. There are probably at least a couple dozen pieces of software commonly used for 3D modelling. Some are great for some things and lousy for others.

There's a TON of free/open source modelling software. Unless you're doing professional work for pay, there's really no need to pay for it.

I am a programmer and mostly I make mechanical parts which are mostly geometric shapes, and I like to make my stuff parametric so that I can easily change sizes of screws, mounts, etc, so I use OpenSCAD.

There's Google Sketchup, and Autocad's 123D Design and 123D Sculpt, there's Tinkercad, Blender, several other popular free tools.

Heck, Blender is free but it's also what's used by many movie houses doing 100 million dollar big budget films to do their 3D rendering.
Thanks I'll check them out. Free is good on a budget.
Old 04-28-15, 09:52 AM
WheresWaldo

New stuff and software comments.

Been working on a different version of the Garmin Edge mount. The current one works fine but it only works in one orientation. So Edge 1000 users would be stuck in portrait mode. The new one is an eighth-turn and allows both portrait and landscape modes with just one mount. I should have this printed and tested in about a week.

I also am trying a mash-up type of Edge mount. I am personally invested in GoPro style mounts. I needed to focus on one mounting system as I have working Contour, Sony and GoPro action cams. While not my favorite, there are just more options in the GoPro mounting system. What I do love is the fact that both Garmin and Contour have rotating mounts. The Contour is just too limited as it rotates only and fixes the tilt of the camera to one angle. The Garmin Flat mount has a lot of flexibility. Off to REI to pick up the Virb mounting kit on clearance, design and print a flat mount insert that works with the GoPro and swap it for the Virb insert. Now I have a fully functional GarGoPromin flat mount. I can rotate and tilt and stick it on the bottom of my Edge mount. Unfortunately because of the placement of the mounting screws on the K-Edge combo mount this is nearly impossible to print (some walls are too thin or missing completely), so no chance I will make this a K-Edge combo mount interface.

@long john, I am not a programmer so I don't particularly care for the steeper learning curve associated with applications like OpenSCAD. I started out with 123D Design, but quickly outgrew its capabilities. It is more focused on what the finished product will look like rather than the steps it took to get there. I now mostly use FreeCAD. It is much less programmatic than OpenSCAD but still allows me to go back in the timeline to adjust whatever parameters I need.

@ItsJustMe, I have looked at some of your designs and I see that yours have a lot of more traditional parts associated with them like using conduit for you mount then making your Virb mount a direct bar mount. I tend to be a more 'form is as important as function' kind of guy. Yours are easier to print for the home maker and very utilitarian and I need mine to look more aesthetic with curves and smooth transitions. That is just one of the many differences that make this 3D printing thing so special, I love to see the way others tackle these issues and come up with individual solutions.

With regard to CC licensing, I am all for open source and creative freedom, but don't believe everything needs to be open or free (these are different) in the 3D print community. I use open source software and hardware nearly every day, I use Ubuntu for my media server, Debian for my print server, Arducopter for the OS of my multi-rotor flight controller (Pixhawk, also open hardware). So with that said, I have some designs that are open, posted mostly on Thingiverse but slowly transitioning to YouMagine, and a lot of designs that I keep to myself. I tend to design something simple first and easier to home print, then refine and sculpt after I know it works. The simple design goes up in a public file repository the 'sculpted' version I keep.

I am happy to see that others are interested in doing this for themselves and hope we can keep this discussion going.
Attached Images
eighth-turn mount.png (60.5 KB, 629 views)
Garmin flat mount.png (67.4 KB, 627 views)
GoPro Flat Insert.png (62.1 KB, 626 views)

Last edited by WheresWaldo; 04-28-15 at 10:10 AM.
Old 04-28-15, 11:59 AM
WheresWaldo

Special offer from Shapeways 15% off anything in Nederlandse Oranje

In honor of Their Dutch heritage, Shapeways is offering 15% off all Orange Strong & Flexible this week to celebrate King's Day. Use code KINGSDAY15 to save on anything from the marketplace through Friday May 1*.
Old 04-29-15, 05:17 AM
long john

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Been working on a different version of the Garmin Edge mount. The current one works fine but it only works in one orientation. So Edge 1000 users would be stuck in portrait mode. The new one is an eighth-turn and allows both portrait and landscape modes with just one mount. I should have this printed and tested in about a week.

I also am trying a mash-up type of Edge mount. I am personally invested in GoPro style mounts. I needed to focus on one mounting system as I have working Contour, Sony and GoPro action cams. While not my favorite, there are just more options in the GoPro mounting system. What I do love is the fact that both Garmin and Contour have rotating mounts. The Contour is just too limited as it rotates only and fixes the tilt of the camera to one angle. The Garmin Flat mount has a lot of flexibility. Off to REI to pick up the Virb mounting kit on clearance, design and print a flat mount insert that works with the GoPro and swap it for the Virb insert. Now I have a fully functional GarGoPromin flat mount. I can rotate and tilt and stick it on the bottom of my Edge mount. Unfortunately because of the placement of the mounting screws on the K-Edge combo mount this is nearly impossible to print (some walls are too thin or missing completely), so no chance I will make this a K-Edge combo mount interface.

@long john, I am not a programmer so I don't particularly care for the steeper learning curve associated with applications like OpenSCAD. I started out with 123D Design, but quickly outgrew its capabilities. It is more focused on what the finished product will look like rather than the steps it took to get there. I now mostly use FreeCAD. It is much less programmatic than OpenSCAD but still allows me to go back in the timeline to adjust whatever parameters I need.

@ItsJustMe, I have looked at some of your designs and I see that yours have a lot of more traditional parts associated with them like using conduit for you mount then making your Virb mount a direct bar mount. I tend to be a more 'form is as important as function' kind of guy. Yours are easier to print for the home maker and very utilitarian and I need mine to look more aesthetic with curves and smooth transitions. That is just one of the many differences that make this 3D printing thing so special, I love to see the way others tackle these issues and come up with individual solutions.

With regard to CC licensing, I am all for open source and creative freedom, but don't believe everything needs to be open or free (these are different) in the 3D print community. I use open source software and hardware nearly every day, I use Ubuntu for my media server, Debian for my print server, Arducopter for the OS of my multi-rotor flight controller (Pixhawk, also open hardware). So with that said, I have some designs that are open, posted mostly on Thingiverse but slowly transitioning to YouMagine, and a lot of designs that I keep to myself. I tend to design something simple first and easier to home print, then refine and sculpt after I know it works. The simple design goes up in a public file repository the 'sculpted' version I keep.

I am happy to see that others are interested in doing this for themselves and hope we can keep this discussion going.
Yes I make thing from Junk. Lol. I am a silver and gold smith by trade and am very interested in these tools. This post was my gate way to knowledgable persons. I am also into KAP. I have been working on a wind powered version for some time now.
Old 05-02-15, 06:09 AM
WheresWaldo

New Item: Di2 Junction 'A' Clip / 5 mm Headset Spacer Combo

This is for those of us that do not want to use any straps, ties or tape to hold on their Di2 Junction 'A' box. It is a combination of a 5 mm headset spacer and the slide on clip. This differs from other clips as it is angled 17° so the junction is mounted parallel to the ground. If you are willing to give up 5 mm of saddle to handlebar drop, this is for you. Designed to fit 1.125" (28.6 mm) fork steerer tubes.

Di2 Junction 'A' Clip / 5 mm Headset Spacer
Old 05-02-15, 09:02 AM
ItsJustMe
Señior Member

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
I've updated my bar mount for the VIRB and printed one last night. I think it's a vast improvement, but I haven't ridden with it yet:

https://www.youmagine.com/designs/ga...ount-version-2

I dare that thing to move now. I've used a nylock nut, I have a backing piece under the screw, and a block to prevent the camera from rotating.
Old 05-05-15, 12:19 AM
WheresWaldo

Presta Valve Cap Extension / Core Tool Combo

Okay so I was fooling around a bit tonight and had to put some sealant in my tires, after spending 10 minutes looking for that little plastic valve core tool I decided to finally release this idea. The image shows one, but they come as a pair. It is a combo Presta valve cap and extenstion tool and core remover!

Presta Valve Cap Extension / Core Tool Combo on Shapeways
Attached Images
Presta Valve Cap.png (51.3 KB, 588 views)
Old 05-07-15, 01:48 PM
WheresWaldo

How to Mount a GoPro on a Garmin Virb Rotating Mount

A custom GoPro mount that uses a Virb Flat or Curved Rotating mount. Here is how I mounted My GoPro on the Garmin mount. First you need these two items from the Garmin Virb mount.

Then I had this GoPro/Garmin Mount Insert 3D printed.

Once inserted in the mount and the Garmin Lock ring screwed on and hand tightened you have this.

Now the rest of the hardware is standard GoPro stuff, you can attach the camera directly here or any of the myriad of GoPro extensions or attachments.

I really like the fact that this arrangement allows the GoPro to be tilted and rotated in as small and secure mount as possible, it is easy to loosen the lock ring just enough to rotate the mount to get the angle you need.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
_2MG5898.jpg (80.5 KB, 592 views)
_2MG5899.jpg (64.1 KB, 586 views)
_2MG5900.jpg (75.4 KB, 587 views)
_2MG5902.jpg (52.5 KB, 589 views)
_2MG5903.jpg (81.4 KB, 586 views)
Old 05-10-15, 04:16 PM
WheresWaldo

(Edge|Forerunner|Fenix)/Virb TT Extension Combo Mount

Don't know if there would be any interest in this type of mount. I redesigned the Garmin Edge mount I was using so that it is only an eighth-turn instead of quarter-turn. As a result I ended up being able to put two sets of stops 90° offset. This allows an Edge as well as a Forerunner or Fenix to use the exact same mount without moving and/or unscrewing anything. Then I put it in a Time Trial Bar Extension type of mount. The Garmin will sit even with the extension. As an added feature I put a Virb mount under it. You can have both a Garmin cyclo-computer or sportwatch as well as a Garmin Virb action cam all on the same mount. The Virb will sit below the extensions. It should fit any alloy/carbon extensions that are in the range of 20-22 mm in diameter.

Only a couple of items are required. An M4 x 15 mm socket head cap screw, an M4 nylon insert lock nut, a genuine Garmin Virb mount insert and locking ring.

Here is a render of the mount.

This same mount could be made with a built in GoPro mount also.
Attached Images
TT Virb Mount.png (77.7 KB, 589 views)
Old 05-18-15, 12:39 PM
WheresWaldo

Don't know how I forgot about all the Deda M35 stuff. I now have a full set of Edge combo mounts for 35 mm handlebars. Fits both road and 35 mm MTB. They all now have the Eighth-Turn mount to work both portrait or landscape as well as working great on Forerunner watches with the bicycle clip attached.

Also the TT mount is live for both GoPro and Virb mounts, fits industry standard 22.2 mm extension arms.
Old 05-18-15, 03:24 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,662 Times in 2,496 Posts
I need an edge mount with a lipstick battery holder built in
Old 05-18-15, 10:10 PM
WheresWaldo

Originally Posted by unterhausen
I need an edge mount with a lipstick battery holder built in
Send me a PM and I might be able to make something up for you. I'll need additional info such as which Garmin and what lipstick battery holder, etc.
Old 06-23-15, 02:32 AM
JonnyHK 

Bikes: Baum Romano, Brompton S2, Homemade Bamboo!

Quoted: 474 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 129 Posts
Custom AyUp mount

There aren't many options for mounting AyUp lights:

Handlebar mount is a bit clumsy and taks up a lot of room.

Helmet mounts work well.

I had the idea to create a part using the helmet mount concept and making it compatible with a K-Edge.

Using some experimentation to get the C-clip shape right and also using some ideas on a couple of WheresWaldo's designs, I came up with this.

It needs a couple of minor modifications (fixing holes are not the correct distance apart) and some testing, but the idea works.

I'll do another in ABS (this is PLA) and ride with it a bit. Not 100% sure if the C-clip is strong enough to prevent the light popping out if I hit some rough road.
Attached Images
AyUp-barmount.jpg (109.0 KB, 607 views)
AyUp-helmetmount.jpg (106.2 KB, 604 views)
P6230041.jpg (100.2 KB, 604 views)
P6230043.jpg (98.7 KB, 603 views)
P6230044.jpg (98.9 KB, 607 views)
P6230047.jpg (59.8 KB, 601 views)
P6230049.jpg (100.8 KB, 608 views)
P6230050.jpg (97.3 KB, 606 views)
Old 06-26-15, 12:54 AM
JonnyHK 

Bikes: Baum Romano, Brompton S2, Homemade Bamboo!

Quoted: 474 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 129 Posts
Well, that design didn't work too well!

Over a heavy bump at speed it was possible to unclip the light (luckily I'd arranged cable to not let it fall far) and it is also possible for the light to rotate. Either the grip needs to be improved to solve both issues or the cable plug area needs to be trapped somehow to stop rotation.

So...a much simpler idea came out of another thing I saw.

I tried it out in a couple of sizes and also with a 'double adaptor' concept (for two lights or a light and a GoPro).

Fits neatly to the standard GoPro mount. Light seems fairly secure. Time for some more riding...

Attached Images
P6260036.jpg (110.9 KB, 600 views)
P6260041.jpg (97.6 KB, 601 views)
P6260043.jpg (96.4 KB, 603 views)
P6260044.jpg (92.1 KB, 606 views)
Old 07-04-15, 07:14 AM
WheresWaldo

Your design skills are looking better. It's good to see others embracing 3D printing for bicycle accessories. I have done well with Di2 compatible mounts as well as some of the rear mounted GoPro/Virb/Sony camera mounts.

If you want something that is as easy to extrude as PLA but with the strength of ABS, try using PETG. It is made from recycled water bottles and is usually transparent, although eSUN has come out with solid black and white PETG.
Old 07-14-15, 09:29 AM
bas2205

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Don't know if there would be any interest in this type of mount. I redesigned the Garmin Edge mount I was using so that it is only an eighth-turn instead of quarter-turn. As a result I ended up being able to put two sets of stops 90° offset. This allows an Edge as well as a Forerunner or Fenix to use the exact same mount without moving and/or unscrewing anything. Then I put it in a Time Trial Bar Extension type of mount. The Garmin will sit even with the extension. As an added feature I put a Virb mount under it. You can have both a Garmin cyclo-computer or sportwatch as well as a Garmin Virb action cam all on the same mount. The Virb will sit below the extensions. It should fit any alloy/carbon extensions that are in the range of 20-22 mm in diameter.

Only a couple of items are required. An M4 x 15 mm socket head cap screw, an M4 nylon insert lock nut, a genuine Garmin Virb mount insert and locking ring.

Here is a render of the mount.

This same mount could be made with a built in GoPro mount also.
I am interested in this type of mount. However, I am worried about the weight of the Edge+Virb being too heavy and rotating the mount. Are you up for tinkering with the design a bit?

If so, I have three ideas:

1. Angle the mounting surface back 30 degrees?. The Virb can still be aimed at the horizon using the thumb-screw. Since the Edge computer now sits further forward, it should point towards the rider's head instead of straight up.

2. Instead of using M4 bolts, what do you think about using zip-ties? I have some standard 75lbs ones and some beefy 150lbs ones at home, I will measure the cross-sections later. I got the idea for this from the Racebone on Shapeways: https://www.shapeways.com/product/C84MQ54UB/racebone-garmin-handlebar-mount?li=related-items-solr&optionId=42451391

3. For some extra stability, what about mounting to both aerobars? If Shapeways allows, this could be a parameter (I will have to measure the distance between my bars inside-to-inside). I got the idea from the 3T computer bridge: COMPUTER MOUNT BRIDGE - Accessories - 3T Cycling Road

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.