Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

A bicycle is a beautiful thing.

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

A bicycle is a beautiful thing.

Old 07-23-20, 10:21 AM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 811 Post(s)
Liked 1,945 Times in 935 Posts
Empathy is a beautiful thing too. Bike therapy definitely has led millions away from a life of self-destruction including my own.
Old 07-23-20, 10:28 AM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
Oh my gosh, I can't take it anymore. Would someone please PM me the removed political content already?
Likes For AlmostTrick:
Old 07-23-20, 10:44 AM
theDirtyLemon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by Ray9
I have sympathy for those who were shoveling powder up their noses 40 years ago when I was running 10 miles a day, but that sympathy can be measured in microns.
The most 1980's sentence ever written.
(You probably could've done both, y'know.)
Likes For theDirtyLemon:
Old 07-23-20, 10:45 AM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,313 Times in 706 Posts
It is interesting that someone can relate to health as physical while suggesting their capacity for sympathy can be measured in microns. My health is a combination of physical, mental and emotional/spiritual.

It's entirely possible to feel good about ones current condition without measuring it by the misfortune of others.

Addiction is a terrible disease wirh huge costs to individuals and society. Anyone who's ever had a family member go down that path understands the humanity behind the behavior. Every addict is someone's son or daughter, brother or sister, mother, father, husband or wife.
Old 07-23-20, 12:10 PM
Ray9

Bikes: Cannondale six-13

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 24 Posts
I grew up in a family of alcoholics. They all lived way longer than they deserved. When I watched Frank Shorter win the 1972 Olympic Marathon a lightbulb went off in my head just as it did in the heads of millions of others. Shorter was the Moses of modern fitness and Bill Rogers was the Jesus. Cycling came later because it is a European sport like baseball is American. When I first started running in 1973 people would stop and ask if I wanted a ride. I lost 25 pounds the first year I ran and never looked back. By the way if you want to get faster on hills with your bike drink two beers instead of four and skip that dish of ice cream.
Likes For Ray9:
Old 07-23-20, 01:05 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22505 Post(s)
Liked 8,829 Times in 4,110 Posts
Originally Posted by AlmostTrick
Oh my gosh, I can't take it anymore. Would someone please PM me the removed political content already?
You snooze, you lose. It was there. But like the infamous donkey picture, it did not last long.

(edit: I think it was a donkey but may have been a horse, it's been a few years)
Old 07-23-20, 01:41 PM
theDirtyLemon

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 44 Posts
NOBODY ASKED, RAY

Old 07-23-20, 03:36 PM
MattTheHat 

Bikes: 2021 S-Works Turbo Creo SL, 2020 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 3,982 Times in 1,415 Posts
I grew up in a family of alcoholics. They all lived way longer than they deserved. When I watched Frank Shorter win the 1972 Olympic Marathon a lightbulb went off in my head just as it did in the heads of millions of others. Shorter was the Moses of modern fitness and Bill Rogers was the Jesus. Cycling came later because it is a European sport like baseball is American. When I first started running in 1973 people would stop and ask if I wanted a ride. I lost 25 pounds the first year I ran and never looked back. By the way if you want to get faster on hills with your bike drink two beers instead of four and skip that dish of ice cream.
I think I'll look into the ignore function.
Likes For MattTheHat:
Old 07-23-20, 03:40 PM
MattTheHat 

Bikes: 2021 S-Works Turbo Creo SL, 2020 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 3,982 Times in 1,415 Posts
Originally Posted by MattTheHat
I think I'll look into the ignore function.
Oooh, it works nicely!
Old 07-23-20, 03:55 PM
jack pot 
Fxxxxr

Bikes: wabi classic (stolen & recovered)

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2668 Post(s)
Liked 1,144 Times in 869 Posts
if you stream of conscious write or use big words or fancy adverbs & ADjetives or complex sentence structure or use literary metaphors or phonetic alliterations or allah forbid lapse into a post modern style the simpleton mob will start thro in smIrks & snarKs your way so be KOOL and don't let BF world simplify you
Old 07-23-20, 04:39 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
Guinness in Ireland, Heineken in Holland , Carlsberg in Denmark , I try to be social with the locals on bicycle tours..
Old 07-23-20, 05:00 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
I saved a lot of money over the years from not purchasing thousands of cartons of cigarettes, a warehouse full of beer and fields of weed.
I never smoked anything or did any drugs...but having a beer at the end of a hard day or after a bike ride is a beautiful thing.
Old 07-23-20, 07:31 PM
ramzilla

Bikes: Vintage Japanese Bicycles, Tange, Ishiwata, Kuwahara

Quoted: 700 Post(s)
Liked 321 Times in 251 Posts
This bud's for you.
Old 07-23-20, 07:43 PM
frogman

Bikes: Wife says I have too many :-)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 248 Times in 158 Posts
Originally Posted by Pop N Wood
So I guess anything that isn't rabid anti-Trump is political, but stuff that is is OK.

Got it now.

Honestly I come here to get away from politics, race, covid, you name it so wish people would take that to other sites, but what Ray9 wrote was sincere and non polarizing. Mods should have left it but can also see how they didn't want to deal with it.

Ride your ride.

Pop N Wood,
I'm glad you got it. I also got it Great info from a 73 year old cyclist that attributes his fitness and health to cycling. I liked it and found it morivational............
Old 07-23-20, 07:53 PM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,054 Times in 634 Posts
I have a fleet of expensive bicycles and I ride one of them 50 miles a day; I am 73. I saved a lot of money over the years from not purchasing thousands of cartons of cigarettes, a warehouse full of beer and fields of weed. I have sympathy for those who were shoveling powder up their noses 40 years ago when I was running 10 miles a day, but that sympathy can be measured in microns. Live and let live I say and if some choose self-inflicted disease and early death then let it be so. It is a free country so far.

I ride big circles these days so as not to cross state lines during these turbulent times. A ballfield is mostly silent and deserted. They built it and few come. I have no worries about foul balls crossing my path; there has been no one there until very recently.

I just keep peddling. A doctor told me many years ago that when my joints and ligaments began to protest from running impact, I should go to the bicycle. It was advice for the ages.

The sound of rubber on the road and the whir of a chain are music to my ears. My lungs are rich with country air and my legs are stallions! I see, do, and feel things that many can only dream of.
To each his own, it is hard work, but it is hard work that pays. The mechanical advantage of the machine I sit astride requires just the amount of effort necessary to keep the juices of life flowing freely. Gravity and wind speed work for me, not against me.

The hills are my friends while potholes and cracks in the road keep my mind alert. A bicycle is a beautiful thing.
What you say applies to me also. I will be 82 this year and ride about 25 miles every other day. The simple fact is ---------if you sit you rust.
Likes For rydabent:
Old 07-23-20, 08:33 PM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
You snooze, you lose. It was there. But like the infamous donkey picture, it did not last long.

(edit: I think it was a donkey but may have been a horse, it's been a few years)
My request for the removed comment was made in jest, it seemed like a funny joke to me. I couldn't care less about some silly comment. Besides, I have since found out what it was, and it really wasn't that bad. More silly, really. But it likely would have torched up a political feud. Good job Mods!

But now you got me wondering about this donkey picture I missed out on...
Old 07-23-20, 08:48 PM
MaxKatt
TeeOhPea 2tha DeeOhGee

Bikes: Several

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked 186 Times in 75 Posts
‘You die your way, I’ll die mine.”

- Frank Sinatra
Old 07-24-20, 04:29 AM
Ray9

Bikes: Cannondale six-13

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 24 Posts
The bicycle is as much a work of art as it is an engineered machine. It is pleasing to the eye in a beautifully symmetrical way. It could not have been fashioned as a tool by a rhinoceros or a giraffe or even a very intelligent ape. Only human minds working in tandem could bring it from its essence to the final piece; and we are not done yet. Putting on a futurist's hat I see the arrow of time producing a flying bicycle. Battery assist and drone technology will be married to lightweight tubing (meta materials) as well as artificial intelligence to get us off the ground. I hope I live to soar on one.
Likes For Ray9:
Old 07-24-20, 05:14 AM
krecik

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 54 Posts

Last edited by krecik; 09-18-23 at 01:09 AM.
Old 07-24-20, 05:21 AM
jack pot 
Fxxxxr

Bikes: wabi classic (stolen & recovered)

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2668 Post(s)
Liked 1,144 Times in 869 Posts
The bicycle is as much a work of art as it is an engineered machine. It is pleasing to the eye in a beautifully symmetrical way. It could not have been fashioned as a tool by a rhinoceros or a giraffe or even a very intelligent ape. Only human minds working in tandem could bring it from its essence to the final piece; and we are not done yet. Putting on a futurist's hat I see the arrow of time producing a flying bicycle. Battery assist and drone technology will be married to lightweight tubing (meta materials) as well as artificial intelligence to get us off the ground. I hope I live to soar on one.
>>> patience my friend, and the force will deliver you
Old 07-24-20, 06:16 AM
probe1957

Bikes: 2020 Scott Speedster 10 Disc

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 27 Posts
The non political content is beautiful.

The political content does not belong here IMO.

Sad!
Sensitive much?
Old 07-24-20, 06:24 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22505 Post(s)
Liked 8,829 Times in 4,110 Posts
Originally Posted by probe1957
Sensitive much?
Maybe.

I was trying to put a positive spin on the topic. I suspect you did not see the original post. I would not say it was over the top inflammatory, but it was VERY partisan and I am glad it got adjusted. If people want to talk politics that's fine but that belongs in P&R.
Old 07-24-20, 08:02 AM
probe1957

Bikes: 2020 Scott Speedster 10 Disc

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 27 Posts
Maybe.

I was trying to put a positive spin on the topic. I suspect you did not see the original post. I would not say it was over the top inflammatory, but it was VERY partisan and I am glad it got adjusted. If people want to talk politics that's fine but that belongs in P&R.
You are quite right, I didn't see it. And so, my smart-assed retort was out of line and I apologize.
Likes For probe1957:
Old 07-24-20, 08:34 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,054 Times in 634 Posts
Remember the simple fact about a bicycle. Only a steel wheel on a steel rail is more efficient way of moving around. You only need to pick the type of bike for the type of cycling you want to do, and where you want to ride. Yes a bicycle or tricycle IS a beautiful thing.
Old 07-24-20, 09:20 AM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,313 Times in 706 Posts
IMO, it is even more of a beautiful thing when you choose a bicycle platform you can repair and maintain yourself. True, most still need to purchase a bike; but to be able to go forward from that point across countries or even continents under ones own power using a efficient machine you can work on yourself is a fascinating proposition.
Likes For Happy Feet:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.