Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

5th innertube blowout; Walmart "Bike Shop" 27"

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

5th innertube blowout; Walmart "Bike Shop" 27"

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-22, 12:13 PM
TLit

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 17 Posts
The rear wheel has been ok, same brand of tire, Blackburn with gum sidewalls though. I put in 80 psi in that one too, no problems. I'll have to bring it down once I get the bike together again.
Old 07-28-22, 12:13 PM
davester

Bikes: 1981 Ron Cooper, 1974 Cinelli Speciale Corsa, 2000 Gary Fisher Sugar 1, 1986 Miyata 710, 1982 Raleigh "International"

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked 1,291 Times in 487 Posts
Originally Posted by TLit
Were all the tires in 1975 or so only getting 65 psi?
Yes, that is correct, at least for most clincher tires. Tubular tires could run higher pressures. I'm not sure when hooked clincher rims first showed up but for my first few bikes in the '60s and early '70s I do remember that 70psi was pushing the envelope and would sometimes result in catastrophic failures.
Likes For davester:
Old 07-28-22, 04:08 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 2422 Post(s)
Liked 4,391 Times in 2,092 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
This issue isn’t because a HellMart bike has hookless rims. Hookless are a recent fad and while HellMart follows trends, they are usually far behind the curve...
The OP's bike is a 12-speed Motobecane with what appear to be steel rims. That's neither a big box store bike nor a new bike, it's C&V. I would assume that's why the OP posted here.

Hook beads are also not a "new fad." They've existed for quite a while, to the point that even many cheap 1970's steel rims were hooked bead by virtue of manufacturing convenience. In fact, I've seen more old steel rims that technically have a crude hooked bead than aluminum rims of the same period - where you usually had to get something a bit higher end (Rigida, Super Champion) before you'd get either a bulged or hooked bead.

For the record, while most Wal-Mart level bikes today have flimsy single-wall aluminum rims, they're usually hooked bead. The "behind-the-curve / recent fad" theory doesn't hold up on either count.

That's a straight-sided steel rim with no hook. 70-75 psi maximum.

Also, is that a wire bead (can't be folded) or kevlar bead (can be folded) tire?

Incidentally, the picture is centered on a sliver of old tire stuck to the inner wall of the rim. Advise cleaning it off with a razor blade.

-Kurt

Last edited by cudak888; 07-28-22 at 07:54 PM.
Likes For cudak888:
Old 07-28-22, 05:15 PM
TLit

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 17 Posts
I put in another innertube courtesy of Walmart and should be ok now. I was overfilling the air down at the local Gulf with what could be an inaccurate gauge. I was putting it at 80 psi but it could have been going a lot higher. I have a basic bicycle pump and a cheapo air gauge that goes up to 50 psi. So as usual penny wise pound foolish.

By the way: Right formula: pressure = force/area so rearranging: force = pressure/area
Likes For TLit:
Old 07-28-22, 05:43 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2482 Post(s)
Liked 2,952 Times in 1,677 Posts
I put in another innertube courtesy of Walmart and should be ok now. I was overfilling the air down at the local Gulf with what could be an inaccurate gauge. I was putting it at 80 psi but it could have been going a lot higher. I have a basic bicycle pump and a cheapo air gauge that goes up to 50 psi. So as usual penny wise pound foolish.

By the way: Right formula: pressure = force/area so rearranging: force = pressure/area
The check valve in the compressor at a gas station is designed to operate correctly with the high air volume in car tires. Bike tires fill too rapidly and so are prone to blowing off the rim with gas station compressors, especially if the wheels have straight-sided rims.

Most of the people contributing to this thread have learned to rely on their own floor pumps, which inflate tires much more slowly.
Likes For Trakhak:
Old 07-28-22, 06:22 PM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3506 Post(s)
Liked 2,924 Times in 1,774 Posts
The first piece of advice in any of the bike books from the 70s/80s was, “don’t inflate your tires at the gas station.”
Likes For smd4:
Old 07-28-22, 06:40 PM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1974 Post(s)
Liked 1,298 Times in 630 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
This issue isn’t because a HellMart bike has hookless rims. Hookless are a recent fad and while HellMart follows trends, they are usually far behind the curve.
This isn't a Walmart bike, and hookless was the clincher norm for a very long time until hooks started to take over during the 1970s.
Likes For HTupolev:
Old 07-28-22, 07:49 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1565 Post(s)
Liked 1,295 Times in 865 Posts
...By the way: Right formula: pressure = force/area so rearranging: force = pressure/area
Rearranging further, force actually equals pressure X area.

I routinely inflated my various 27x1-1/4" wire-bead tires to 90psi on hookless steel and alloy rims (Araya, Sturmey, Ukai, Rigida, etc.) back in the 70's with no blow-offs.
I believe that my Medai/MDI floor pump was accurate, at least it agreed with my other gauges. Tires were IRC and other common gumwalls, though Michelins were fatter so had a lower pressure rating.

Some of the nicer 27x1-1/8" tires that came on sport-touring bikes with straight-sided rims in the late 1970's were rated at 100psi or even 105psi, and we had no problems with them at the Fuji dealer where I worked. Everybody inflated tires to the number on the sidewall back then.

It was only in the 2000's that I bought a 1971 Schwinn Supersport which had hookless alloy Weinmann rims, which would allow the tire to blow off at pressures above 80psi but on the rear wheel only. That was a quality-control issue, and I had to line the irregularly-shaped inside of the rear rim from wall-to-wall with thick, wide cloth tape (easier said than done) in order to run 80psi reliably.
Likes For dddd:
Old 07-28-22, 08:09 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,829 Times in 1,995 Posts
I don't think it is an internal puncture, as others said these hookless rims are the problem with overinflation.

I spoke to the local shop that said they never heard of an innertube blowing due to overinflation.

Also they get $37 to put an innertube in that they get $17 for. I don't know how they can pay their expenses around here. But I can't afford to spend too much after spending $35 on a wheel truing.
more info, more questions.
"blew" off the rim... tube should have a long rupture.
brand of tire and rim even way back could be an issue.
steel or aluminum rim?
the notation of $35 for a wheel truing...to me that means time - time to check the spokes and see if any extend beyond the nipple- if so, need to be ground off.
then rim tape.

a dented rim of the mid 70's can spread a bit in a short span- a possible location of a tire popping off.
Old 07-28-22, 08:35 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 2422 Post(s)
Liked 4,391 Times in 2,092 Posts
The OP's pictures tell all, folks. You're all dissing in the wind if you haven't taken a second to study them.

-Kurt

Likes For cudak888:
Old 08-03-22, 07:05 PM
Trueblood

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 29 Posts
Ha, just happened to me over the weekend, was running at 70psi, nothing wrong with spokes or the rim. Damaged the sidewall - separated it from the wire bead a little - Schwalbe HS159. I could still ride with it after changing the tube, but there was a small bulge in the sidewall. Replaced the tire, now leaving it at 60psi. It was the front wheel. Here's a hint, if you hear a thump thump thump as you ride and you look down and the wheels appear true and the tires are not flat (yet), stop and let a little air out.