Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

First new bike in YEARS how did I do (beginner)

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

First new bike in YEARS how did I do (beginner)

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-22, 07:24 PM
n2t

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by mtnbud
Before you buy new tires, try running the tires you have at a lower pressure. With the mtb bike I converted to touring, I run my 2.0 width tires at 80psi on pavement and 40psi on gravel. I have been amazed at how huge a difference tire pressure can make. The tire pressure you run your tires at depends on the tires, the road surface, and your weight.
I will definitely try that, they are 700x45s I believe, whatever stock for the Verve 3 is. They are fairly smooth center with some grip on the outer edges, H5s I think is the model number.
Likes For n2t:
Old 09-02-22, 07:30 PM
Murray Missile 

Bikes: More than there were awhile ago.

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 635 Post(s)
Liked 1,277 Times in 607 Posts
Nice bike. I suspect you'll get a lot of enjoyment out of it.

Originally Posted by n2t
.......... The marlin was OK, but the front shocks were still springy suntours and I wasn't a fan of that. I wish Trek would either go full rigid or use good shocks, this in-between stuff isn't for me.
You're not alone. I recently acquired a like new 2021 Marlin 5 in a trade on an old rusty pickup, it's a long strange tale LOL. It's my size, I love the color and the frame but I was pretty disappointed in the components. I just happen to have a Deore 3 X 10 group that I had purchased for another project that ran into a snag. I'm also replacing the fork with a Suntour XCR air fork with Remote Lockout, a big improvement over the XCM and more than adequate for my needs. The Tektro hydraulic disc brakes are getting replaced with Shimano Deore 4 piston front/2 piston rear hydraulic and I'm going to build my own wheels for it eventually. Here it is as received, the previous owner had the saddle, stem extender and kickstand put on it, those will be the first things to go.

Here's the truck in better days.
Old 09-02-22, 07:34 PM
n2t

Originally Posted by Murray Missile
Nice bike. I suspect you'll get a lot of enjoyment out of it.

You're not alone. I recently acquired a like new 2021 Marlin 5 in a trade on an old rusty pickup, it's a long strange tale LOL. It's my size, I love the color and the frame but I was pretty disappointed in the components. I just happen to have a Deore 3 X 10 group that I had purchased for another project that ran into a snag. I'm also replacing the fork with a Suntour XCR air fork with Remote Lockout, a big improvement over the XCM and more than adequate for my needs. The Tektro hydraulic disc brakes are getting replaced with Shimano Deore 4 piston front/2 piston rear hydraulic and I'm going to build my own wheels for it eventually. Here it is as received, the previous owner had the saddle, stem extender and kickstand put on it, those will be the first things to go.

Here's the truck in better days.
I wish I knew more about shocks. I'm completely unsure which shocks are decently good, and which are over priced, heavy pogo sticks. My shocks are some weird 28mm springy suntours with lockout. And I just don't think they are meant to be real shocks. All show, no go. That saddle would kill me. I find wide saddles really hard to get comfortable on. Kickstands are bad? I almost got one today just so I don't have to lay my bike down in the gravel with a rack on when I'm fishing etc. I guess if I were hitting technical trails and jumps etc it would be dangerous?
Old 09-02-22, 07:51 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7649 Post(s)
Liked 3,469 Times in 1,832 Posts
Kickstands often rattle or shake loose .... not something you want dangling down grabbing stuff trailside. Great for touring and casual riding, but on a trail .... but you could always tie up the end with a toe-strap or something.

As for shocks .... I don't know a lot about them either .... Fox and RockShox air shocks with about 3 inches (or four) travel ought to be enough .... go over to the MTB page and ask about a suspension fork for a gravel bike. They will have way to many ideas and opinions.
Old 09-02-22, 07:58 PM
n2t

Originally Posted by Maelochs
Kickstands often rattle or shake loose .... not something you want dangling down grabbing stuff trailside. Great for touring and casual riding, but on a trail .... but you could always tie up the end with a toe-strap or something.

As for shocks .... I don't know a lot about them either .... Fox and RockShox air shocks with about 3 inches (or four) travel ought to be enough .... go over to the MTB page and ask about a suspension fork for a gravel bike. They will have way to many ideas and opinions.
Lol, I don't think I do the kind of riding that will need shocks. Honestly I think this bike will last me for a LONG time. I'm 43, I don't see myself getting into serious mtn biking in my late 40s, early 50s, I don't bounce like I used to
Likes For n2t:
Old 09-02-22, 09:32 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7649 Post(s)
Liked 3,469 Times in 1,832 Posts
I am eager to see how it looks kitted out for its various functions.
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 09-02-22, 09:50 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 960 Post(s)
Liked 1,627 Times in 1,044 Posts
In a way that Denali was a good teacher. Look what your ridding now... Just great!

There is allot to be said for getting an economical bike to ride so you find out the one ya really need...
Old 09-03-22, 09:07 AM
Murray Missile 

Originally Posted by n2t
I wish I knew more about shocks. I'm completely unsure which shocks are decently good, and which are over priced, heavy pogo sticks. My shocks are some weird 28mm springy suntours with lockout. And I just don't think they are meant to be real shocks. All show, no go. That saddle would kill me. I find wide saddles really hard to get comfortable on. Kickstands are bad? I almost got one today just so I don't have to lay my bike down in the gravel with a rack on when I'm fishing etc. I guess if I were hitting technical trails and jumps etc it would be dangerous?
I took possession of my Marlin a few days before my surgeries earlier this year and haven't really had a chance to give it a real check out but one quick ride around my fairly flat yard was enough to tell me the stock fork wasn't going to cut it. I bottomed it out on a 6 inch drop off a slab in the lot next door! I will be replacing it with a Suntour XCR air fork with 32mm stanchions and remote lockout . The XCR didn't get great reviews for serious off road use but it didn't suck either and at almost 67 years old I won't be doing any serious mountain biking with it. I'm a bit over 200 Lbs. and there are some trails I like to ride that would require a better fork than what it currently has but I don't need a fork that cost as much as the bike did new for that so the XCR is good enough for my needs.

If a kickstand fits your needs by all means run one but I've found the chainstay mounted stands aren't too stable with a loaded bike, especially on taller frames. I had a factory stay mounted stand on Scott hybrid and I was constantly picking the bike back up after it fell over unless it was an flat level pavement. I finally gave up tryng to use it if I had anything on the rear rack. It was a nice bike but the frame was a size too small so it went to a new home.
Old 09-03-22, 11:16 AM
n2t

Originally Posted by Maelochs
I am eager to see how it looks kitted out for its various functions.
I wonder if they make a quick release rack, I can't see me riding around with the rack unless something is on it.
Old 09-03-22, 11:37 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2134 Post(s)
Liked 1,644 Times in 826 Posts
I love riding wide open spaces like that. Any bike that gets you there is a good one.
Likes For Paul Barnard:
Old 09-03-22, 01:00 PM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 984 Times in 508 Posts
Originally Posted by n2t
I am getting some instability in loose gravel, would wider, more knobby tires help that or is it par for the course?
A tip for when you feel like you’re sliding around a little on gravel roads: don’t squeeze the handlebar in a death grip… hold it gently, and even let it drift around a little. You just need to maintain general control and balance, not to feel solidly planted.
Likes For Broctoon:
Old 09-03-22, 01:17 PM
Murray Missile 

Originally Posted by Broctoon
A tip for when you feel like you’re sliding around a little on gravel roads: don’t squeeze the handlebar in a death grip… hold it gently, and even let it drift around a little. You just need to maintain general control and balance, not to feel solidly planted.
Excellent advice. I learned to drive on gravel roads, rode motorcycles on gravel (large street bikes not dirt bikes) and have logged a lot of bicycle time on gravel. Just relax and let it float a little bit, it takes a little time to get used to but if you fight it the gravel will win everytime.
Old 09-03-22, 02:27 PM
n2t

Originally Posted by Broctoon
I've discovered that the hard way, just a loose grip and let the bike do it's thing. That said, my cheap Gravity with 2.2" tires rides the same area with a LOT more stability and climbs a but quicker. It's a 650b and is not as good a bike by far, but the fact that it IS a mountain bike does make a difference it seems. I wonder if a tire change would be worth while in the future, bit wider, go full tubeless and lower pressure.
Old 09-05-22, 07:58 PM
n2t

Put on about 20 miles over the weekend, and got in some fishing and kayaking. My old mtn bike I topped out at 22mph coming down hill on the gravel feeling pretty safe, the new bike, I had to slow down to 19. The tire difference is noticable between 2.2" 27.5s and 700x45s with no grip to speak of. I have some blacktop in the area I can stay on with the Verve, but when new tires come up...something with more width and tread is in the cards for sure.

Likes For n2t:
Old 09-09-22, 07:53 PM
n2t

Took the GF out and I rode the old bike down to our favorite spot and the new bike back. There is NOT a night and day difference between the Verve and the Gravity I can tell. She was able to keep up the same on both. The tires in gravel on the Gravity make a huge difference and I think that is something I may change on the Verve. That said, a left turn instead of a right turn and I don't hit gravel...so the change will come when the old tires wear out. I'm betting wider and more aggressive tires will make a world of difference on the Verve. The fact that the Gravities suspension fork says not for dirt jumping, hard riding or free riding doesn't inspire confidence in the old bike and it's not worth upgrading as it doesn't have a tapered headtube leading me to believe parts will be hard to find that are even decent....though I may be wrong? My thought is save up and either get an additional full suspension bike or a fat bike. I'm wondering if an affordable fat bike from Bikes Direct would be an upgrade over the cheap full suspension and with low pressure in the tires provide just enough cushion to tame the gravel roads and maybe a little more difficult trail riding. The rigid is definitely bumpier at this point, but again, tires. GF may be wanting a new bike soon as she also has a Gravity.