Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Is this cracked titanium frame safe to ride?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Is this cracked titanium frame safe to ride?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-22, 04:47 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6944 Post(s)
Liked 10,944 Times in 4,677 Posts
Originally Posted by amazinmets73
As previously stated, I purchased a titanium frame with a minor dent for dirt cheap 5 years ago. It's been lovely and is my favorite bike. Every member here who gave an opinion advised against purchasing it. It's similar to when I tell people I drive old cars to avoid car payments and they start clucking about safety standards. We've become a society of pampered wusses.
If you think a “minor dent” and a cracked head tube are at all comparable, then you deserve what you get. You posted the photo and ask for advice, and now you are disregarding everyone who tells you anything other than what you want to hear. Not sure why you asked for advice.

Good luck. Hope you have dental insurance.
Old 09-04-22, 06:09 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4335 Post(s)
Liked 3,958 Times in 2,646 Posts
Originally Posted by RH Clark
The reason I don't own a titanium bike.
Because someone on an online forum bought one that was cracked? That sounds dumb.

I have 3 Titanium bikes and zero cracks or issues and know many other folks with lovely titanium bikes also with no issues or cracks. I have personally seen a whole bunch of aluminum frames that are cracked but it doesn't stop me from considering aluminum (the ride quality does) same thing with carbon. Sometimes things crack or have issues but not really a reason to avoid something unless it is really super widespread across many different brands.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 09-04-22, 06:14 PM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Because he needs to find at least one person of questionable judgement to say what he wants to hear and reinforce the belief that he did the smart, savvy thing; the rest he can dismiss.
So he can justify spending money on a bike which is essentially nothing more than a parts bike.
Likes For Milton Keynes:
Old 09-04-22, 06:15 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Liked 1,179 Times in 686 Posts
This frame is a perfect example of a good frame for a stationary smart trainer. it should perform flawlessly.
Old 09-04-22, 06:19 PM
Milton Keynes

Originally Posted by philbob57
I wouldn't mind dying on my bike, though I'd like another 20 years of riding or so.
Yeah, that's something which, if it's going to happen that way, you don't need to help along especially when you know you're increasing your chances. The amount of adrenaline rush you'd get from your head tube coming apart on a 35 MPH descent would not be worth it.
Likes For Milton Keynes:
Old 09-04-22, 06:21 PM
Milton Keynes

Originally Posted by spelger
This frame is a perfect example of a good frame for a stationary smart trainer. it should perform flawlessly.
Much safer than riding it down the road.
Likes For Milton Keynes:
Old 09-04-22, 06:44 PM
RH Clark

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 526 Post(s)
Liked 462 Times in 256 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
Because someone on an online forum bought one that was cracked? That sounds dumb.

I have 3 Titanium bikes and zero cracks or issues and know many other folks with lovely titanium bikes also with no issues or cracks. I have personally seen a whole bunch of aluminum frames that are cracked but it doesn't stop me from considering aluminum (the ride quality does) same thing with carbon. Sometimes things crack or have issues but not really a reason to avoid something unless it is really super widespread across many different brands.
Glad you like your bikes, but I have personally seen too many titanium bikes with frame cracks to think they aren't less durable in general than a steel, carbon or aluminum bike. Therefore, I choose not to own one.
Likes For RH Clark:
Old 09-04-22, 06:51 PM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1246 Post(s)
Liked 1,321 Times in 673 Posts
I'm going to keep it but I'll abstain from riding it until I make some inexpensive 'repairs'. Then I'm going for broke.
You posts seem to have a pattern of going cheap as possible and then things not working out as planned. Pretty sure we have not heard the end of this.

Regarding, going for broke, with all the money you are saving we highly doubt that.
Old 09-04-22, 06:52 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 3,412 Times in 1,783 Posts
Originally Posted by Atlas Shrugged
Curious, what are looking for here other than attention? It is obvious that the bike is damaged and requires repair. Perhaps the OP enjoys watching the conflict such a ridiculous post creates.
You are pre-supposing that people engage in trolling on Bikeforums.

That never happens.

Ever.
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 09-04-22, 06:55 PM
raqball

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 377 Post(s)
Liked 221 Times in 121 Posts
Strange thread.. The OP asked for opinions and basically got one other person to agree with him that the bike is fine. Then they both went on to disparage anyone with a different opinion who thinks it's not safe to ride...

Could the bike be fine? Sure. Could it suffer a catastrophic failure at a very inopportune time? You bet! Is it worth riding it and risking a serious crash, brain damage or death? Nope..

But hey, I guess that's why they have the Darwin Awards..
Likes For raqball:
Old 09-04-22, 07:13 PM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3496 Post(s)
Liked 2,911 Times in 1,766 Posts
Originally Posted by raqball
Strange thread.. The OP asked for opinions and basically got one other person to agree with him that the bike is fine. Then they both went on to disparage anyone with a different opinion who thinks it's not safe to ride...
Who agreed with him that the bike was fine? Can you point out that post?
Old 09-04-22, 07:28 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 3,412 Times in 1,783 Posts
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 09-04-22, 07:34 PM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 715 Post(s)
Liked 611 Times in 376 Posts
Yeah, that's something which, if it's going to happen that way, you don't need to help along....
Absolutely. I'm hoping for more than 85 years of riding without serious injury. That means taking calculated risks (like riding on the road in itself) but being careful with respect to pushing body, mind, and equipment beyond their limits. And hoping for something quick at a ripe old age.

Besides, how can one enjoy a ride unless one is confident in one's equipment? And how can one be confident in one's equipment when the seller and a bunch of unknowns on the 'net are the only ones who are providing opinions - and the 'net experts haven't even seen the actual frame?
Old 09-04-22, 07:47 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,474 Times in 4,181 Posts
Old 09-04-22, 07:56 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2134 Post(s)
Liked 1,643 Times in 825 Posts
Originally Posted by smd4
Oh, for the love of God, just stop. You didn't get enough attention the first go-round?
Likes For Paul Barnard:
Old 09-04-22, 07:57 PM
smd4

Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
Oh, for the love of God, just stop. You didn't get enough attention the first go-round?
You can’t, can you?
Old 09-04-22, 08:03 PM
raqball

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 377 Post(s)
Liked 221 Times in 121 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
I assume he quoted me based on what he said? He knows I blocked him so it's rather weird / odd / strange to quote someone and ask them a Q when you know they can't see it...

He, and the OP have been questioning anyone and everyone who said the bike is not safe..

Meh, it's the Internet and it's loaded with weirdos.. Too bad I can see his posts when someone else quote him though..
Old 09-04-22, 08:03 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20808 Post(s)
Liked 9,450 Times in 4,668 Posts
Not worth the effort - it was just some rando that obviously doesn't know what they were talking about. Best to ignore geniuses like that and just move on.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 09-04-22, 08:06 PM
smd4

Not worth the effort - it was just some rando that obviously doesn't know what they were talking about. Best to ignore geniuses like that and just move on.
LOL! You can’t either! Too funny.

The lack of logic and reading comprehension in this thread is staggering! But expected at this point.
Old 09-04-22, 08:18 PM
WhyFi

LOL! You can’t either! Too funny.

The lack of logic and reading comprehension in this thread is staggering! But expected at this point.
If you really want to take the effort, just go back a couple pages - you'll find his posts. And yes, while his posts were lacking many things - logic and comprehension among them, as you say - it's unfair to characterize the entire thread that way; it was really only the OP and this one other dude that weren't making any sense.
Old 09-04-22, 08:19 PM
smd4

If you really want to take the effort, just go back a couple pages - you'll find his posts. And yes, while his posts were lacking many things - logic and comprehension among them, as you say - it's unfair to characterize the entire thread that was; it was really only the OP and this one other dude that weren't making any sense.
And you can’t even name the “other dude.” Why so afraid?
Old 09-04-22, 08:21 PM
WhyFi

And you can’t even name the “other dude.” Why so afraid?
Again - not something to waste time over, it was just some rando. Ignore him. Move on.
Old 09-04-22, 08:26 PM
smd4

Again - not something to waste time over, it was just some rando. Ignore him. Move on.
Right. Posting a link to a post is a waste of time, unlike making a post without a link. Got it.
Old 09-04-22, 08:34 PM
WhyFi

Right. Posting a link to a post is a waste of time, unlike making a post without a link. Got it.
My advice would be to just let it go - this guy's clearly a couple cans short of a 6-pack and isn't worth obsessing over. If you really want to track him down to lambast him, I can't stop you, but I'm done. Best wishes, friend.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 09-04-22, 09:39 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18353 Post(s)
Liked 4,502 Times in 3,346 Posts
Originally Posted by freeranger
" I contacted the seller and he replied: "That does not compromise the structure of the head tube, according to the manufacturer. If it completely cracks, which will not, I’ll refund you the money, or you are welcome to return it. Your call"
That is utter BS... why do you think the guy was selling the bike?

What is most likely is that if you do nothing, the crack will slowly grow.

For complete failure to happen, you'd almost need two cracks and lose the front half of the headtube, or have it grow into either the toptube or downtube (or both).

You could probably ride it a bit.... perhaps gently as a commuter bike.

As mentioned above, the headset could get loose, or even the fork a bit wobbly. Not the best, but not necessarily sending you flying.

As long as it doesn't crack in a manner that the steertube separates from the frame, you'll probably be safe enough.

I think titanium crack propagation is slower than aluminum, but I'm not sure how fast.

FWIW, this is a cross bike and will be ridden as such. If I'm going to have a catastrophic failure, it's always preferable to be riding a mud track as opposed to pavement.
Now, if you're planning to ride it hard. Racing? Get it fixed, or just strip the parts.

As mentioned, Lynskey might do a repair.

TiCycles in Portland can also do Titanium repair. You could at least contact them for a second opinion.

I don't know if the choice would be to simply weld up the crack. Perhaps add a larger titanium collar. Or to pull the entire headtube off and replace.
Likes For CliffordK:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.