Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Another mystery frame quest! (Belgian?)

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Another mystery frame quest! (Belgian?)

Old 08-22-22, 08:48 AM
Vetnherder

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Found some fork stamps, and some better detail of the seatstay brake mount area:

Old 08-22-22, 12:09 PM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,053 Times in 780 Posts
hmmm. the stamps on bottom of forkcrown don't speak to me, but noting what looks like little nibs/teeth on the inner socket edges (may ring a bell with someone) and a pretty heavy gauge steerer!
If this was an Ekla crown (I cannot say) that would be another very strong clue pointing to Belgian.
Rolled tube brake bridge but builder added some reinforcement, I hope there's something on the inside of the tube that prevents crushing.
Likes For unworthy1:
Old 08-23-22, 02:59 PM
Vetnherder

Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Meanwhile I'm disassembling the bike. I found no further quirky stuff. (yet) It is going smooth. (except for the bolt on the stem that is currently soaking a little bit in WD40.)
I do need a crank puller, it seems to be one of the tools I never needed before. Also my living room is currently a bit of a bike workshop. (With another 1 being under construction)

I'm not super sure what crankset this is, it looks a bit like an Athena or a Chorus. It has a 93 number in a square stamped on the main arm.

Because of my flash use, I noticed that there might have been red paint in the engravings/stamps on the handlebar.

Old 08-23-22, 10:42 PM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

so this forkcrown DOES that the "milled slot" in the face that the Geminiani had, very possibly so does the Teval that @non-fixie ref'd, too.
I think this must be a common crown tho I cannot find the catalog page that shows it.
I am thinking it could be an Ekla crown, after all.
Since you are in the crank area can you read anything on the BB cup, such as "1.37 x 24"?
Old 08-24-22, 12:13 AM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 279 Post(s)
Quoted: 2192 Post(s)
Liked 4,580 Times in 1,762 Posts
Additional detail pics of the Téval fork:

Likes For non-fixie:
Old 08-24-22, 06:01 AM
Vetnherder

Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Great! Thank you guys!
I think the fork really is a match, once it is out, I will check for a number as well. (if it is 3532 I will loose my mind ) I will see if I can find a number on the (rather modern) BB. Still have to remove the arms, waiting for a puller.
It looks to me that the BB is not entirely straight in, but I hope that is an optical illusion.
Old 08-24-22, 12:23 PM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

still don't see any crown that is an exact match, but there are several Ekla models that all share the same "milled slot" in the front face.
So based on that I'm betting this is an Ekla product, too, tho it would be better to see that name in the underside casting for 100% certainty.

Betting again: this brand was made in Belgium (tho popular with Brit builders) so even tho it would be rash to say it's a certain Belgian frame I think it's 99% certain to have a BSC BB threading so when you CAN read the cup if there's any numbers on there they should be 1.37 x 24 (and the DS cup will have LH threading), the fork should have a 25.4 OD steerer to fit a 22.2 quill. and also use Brit/ISO/Ital threading.
Likes For unworthy1:
Old 08-24-22, 02:09 PM
juvela

Mentioned: 415 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3802 Post(s)
Liked 3,324 Times in 2,170 Posts
-----

headset appears it may be a Hatta

the SR SP-150 pedals are one glaringly non-european fitting

-----
Likes For juvela:
Old 08-24-22, 02:58 PM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 279 Post(s)
Quoted: 2192 Post(s)
Liked 4,580 Times in 1,762 Posts
Originally Posted by unworthy1
(...) I'm betting this is an Ekla product (...)
Since we're betting: my money is on it being a modified Vagner #12 +.

Last edited by non-fixie; 08-24-22 at 03:07 PM. Reason: forgot the "+"
Old 08-25-22, 01:06 AM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

Originally Posted by non-fixie
Since we're betting: my money is on it being a modified Vagner #12 +.
It's possible, but that's the only model that Vagner made with the milled slot. Ekla had at least 4 models...based on what images there are online.
The stamping on the undersides seems to be another consistent clue, but I can't interpret what the stamps mean.
But what crown make (or fork builder) used such stamps?
I dunno.
Old 09-10-22, 02:29 PM
Vetnherder

Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by unworthy1
still don't see any crown that is an exact match, but there are several Ekla models that all share the same "milled slot" in the front face.
So based on that I'm betting this is an Ekla product, too, tho it would be better to see that name in the underside casting for 100% certainty.

Betting again: this brand was made in Belgium (tho popular with Brit builders) so even tho it would be rash to say it's a certain Belgian frame I think it's 99% certain to have a BSC BB threading so when you CAN read the cup if there's any numbers on there they should be 1.37 x 24 (and the DS cup will have LH threading), the fork should have a 25.4 OD steerer to fit a 22.2 quill. and also use Brit/ISO/Ital threading.
250 years later.... I finally managed to get out the BB, needed the tool and the time, but it came out smoothly, nothing too forced.

unworthy1 You are correct! There is a Shimano BB-UN52 in there: 68 BC1.37x24. This is most likely the newest thing on the entire bike. From around 1998? I still need to remove the fork, but I managed to track down the headset, I first thought the white plastic cups lost their chrome paint, but turns out the headset came with white cups. It is a Shimano HP-A450, Exage Sport from around 1988. Measured the stem/quill (very close to 22.2mm) This headset itself seems to came only in 25.4, so I think you are on the right path.

Next step is to really get the fork out, so I can check if I have a similar number on the fork steerer as non-fixie had.

My conclusion is that both my dad and my uncle really did some mileage on this bike, they have been updating the bike from 1967(ish) up to 1998. It luckily means I have some freedom in picking the parts I want on the bike, if it was period correct I would feel an obligation to keep it that way. (it would be even harder as my first roadbike project) I really want to take this frame/bike out on the road again, it feels like the best homage.
The jockeywheels...
Old 09-10-22, 08:23 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,827 Times in 1,995 Posts
English not French - would surprise me with French threading but appears French influenced.

I like it.

only surprise it that there is minimal engagement of the dropouts to the chainstays, enough, but minimal.
Old 09-13-22, 12:32 PM
browngw 

Bikes: 1965 Dilecta Le Blanc, 1956 Royal Nord, 1972 Raleigh Sports, 1972 CCM Turismo,1976 SuperCycle Excalibur, 2014 Salsa Vaya, 2017 Felt DD70, 2019 Giant Lafree and others

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Liked 588 Times in 227 Posts
I do own one Belgian bike and have no idea how it got to Canada. It's a Royal Nord President 3speed which I have rebuilt and is largely original. Most of the components are English including the Brampton hubs. No French parts were found and I was told by many when researching it that that would be the case.

Old 09-13-22, 02:47 PM
Vetnherder

Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
browngw That is an exquisite looking bicycle. It seems a bit older, but what a lovely find and restoration!
Perhaps there was a sort of split in Belgium, with some of the builders refusing to use French parts and others refusing to use English parts?

We have come far in this quest, but no definitive answer yet.
A user from the steel is real group on Facebook found a very matching frame/fork combo, a Samyn: (See below)
Another couple of possible brands could be:
Louesse Sport (Some have this fork crown style.)
Visser Vainqueur
Plume (Sport)
Geminiani

Meanwhile I have a price indication of a frame reliability check, chemical stripping, filling and re-paint, and I found it acceptable. Not cheap, but it has to be a decent job.
Old 09-13-22, 09:30 PM
browngw 

Bikes: 1965 Dilecta Le Blanc, 1956 Royal Nord, 1972 Raleigh Sports, 1972 CCM Turismo,1976 SuperCycle Excalibur, 2014 Salsa Vaya, 2017 Felt DD70, 2019 Giant Lafree and others

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Liked 588 Times in 227 Posts
Originally Posted by Vetnherder
browngw That is an exquisite looking bicycle. It seems a bit older, but what a lovely find and restoration!
Perhaps there was a sort of split in Belgium, with some of the builders refusing to use French parts and others refusing to use English parts?
Yes, the Royal Nord is circa 1956. The company also made motorcycles and mopeds.