Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

new axle.

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-22, 08:08 PM
flattyfattie

Bikes: kent schockwave 26 in

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
new axle.

i need a new axle on my bike. it has a freewheel hub, it says r&r fluid drive. it also has a2bt b1. i cannot find that anywhere. my axle is bent, and i have straightened it once. took the freewheel off to clean it. found most of the tiny 1/8 inch bearings, only had to buy about 10 of them, got that all back together and working now just the axle it was all apart and i am not sure how it goes back together and how many bearings. everything was in a bucket covered with dirt and hair. all clean now. just need to reassemble the axle. then i notice a big crack on the rim. i guess it was good practice. Does anyone knows where i can get a well-used rim? or should i jb weld it?
Old 09-24-22, 08:17 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Originally Posted by flattyfattie
i need a new axle on my bike. it has a freewheel hub, it says r&r fluid drive. it also has a2bt b1. i cannot find that anywhere. my axle is bent, and i have straightened it once. took the freewheel off to clean it. found most of the tiny 1/8 inch bearings, only had to buy about 10 of them, got that all back together and working now just the axle it was all apart and i am not sure how it goes back together and how many bearings. everything was in a bucket covered with dirt and hair. all clean now. just need to reassemble the axle. then i notice a big crack on the rim. i guess it was good practice. Does anyone knows where i can get a well-used rim? or should i jb weld it?
Your whole post...you're kidding, right? JB Weld? Zero details about size of rim, drilling...nothing. No details about the axle either. How on earth can anyone help you?
Old 09-24-22, 09:45 PM
flattyfattie

Bikes: kent schockwave 26 in

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
yes, i was kidding about the jb weld. the axle is 7 inches and the rim is a 28-inch rim with a freewheel gear system made by r&r the only no. i can find is2bt b1. i am new to bikes i don't know the terminology or measurement requirements. i am new to this stuff give me the befit of the dought. i am learning.
Old 09-24-22, 11:09 PM
Juan el Boricua

Bikes: 1980's Royce Union "fixed wheel", 1995 Trek 370, 406 -wheeled " shopper/minivelo"for running errands, SS Raleigh M60

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 46 Posts
See if there is a bike coop in the WA area, bring in your rim so that they can see the wheel size and let them help you find a suitable replacement; shouldn't be expensive. One way to learn the basics might be volunteer hours at said coop, and you'll be able to not only help yourself but others that might be "in tour shoes" in the future
Likes For Juan el Boricua:
Old 09-25-22, 06:30 PM
Hondo6

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 549 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 462 Posts
Originally Posted by SurferRosa
1/8" bearings in a rear freewheel hub?

Even a Helicomatic uses larger balls, and they're tiny compared to the normal 1/4".
Sounds like he may have disassembled the freewheel itself. I believe freewheel internal bearings are 1/8".
Likes For Hondo6:
Old 09-25-22, 07:16 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Originally Posted by flattyfattie
yes, i was kidding about the jb weld. the axle is 7 inches and the rim is a 28-inch rim with a freewheel gear system made by r&r the only no. i can find is2bt b1. i am new to bikes i don't know the terminology or measurement requirements. i am new to this stuff give me the befit of the dought. i am learning.
I think you really should take it to a bike shop. Sorry, but I doubt (see what I did there?) you're going to be able to fix this on your own. Maybe a co-op will teach you while they fix it. I agree w/ the others, you've taken the freewheel apart, possibly as well as the hub. No hubs have bearings that small.
Old 09-25-22, 11:42 PM
well biked

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 162 Times in 89 Posts
Originally Posted by Hondo6
Sounds like he may have disassembled the freewheel itself. I believe freewheel internal bearings are 1/8".
Exactly.