Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Tube shifted on rim causing blowout at stem

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Tube shifted on rim causing blowout at stem

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-22, 06:51 PM
oldbobcat

Bikes: '80 Masi Gran Criterium, '12 Trek Madone, early '60s Frejus track

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 513 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 335 Posts
Originally Posted by pdlamb
#1 sounds like a pretty good argument to go tubeless.

Wouldn't #3 blow the tire off before it let the tube rotate on the rim?
A rider who can't be bothered to check their tire pressure once or twice a week won't want to bother with tubeless. And tubeless tires lose air, too.
Likes For oldbobcat:
Old 09-17-22, 10:14 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6178 Post(s)
Liked 4,795 Times in 3,307 Posts
You say your tire was inflated to 50 psi, which I'd think adequate for a 2.0 inch tire. However if you didn't check your tire pressure before your ride, then it may have been much lower.

The thin rubber tubes we use whether latex or butyl will loose air over time. Though with lower PSI and higher volume tires as yours are they do seem to go further between top offs than my 25mm wide tires which I top off at least every third day of consecutive days of riding..

One of the big tell tail signs of something being wrong is if your valve stems are not perpendicular to the rim. If they are leaning, then that is future problems and you need to find out why. Usually for me that had been underinflation.

Last edited by Iride01; 09-17-22 at 10:17 AM.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 09-18-22, 07:34 PM
Sorcerer

Location: '16 StumpJ, Salsa Mukluk, Soulcycles SS, Dean Colonel HT, BMC FourstrokeTrail, Dean Torres CX, Santana Visa Tandem, Trek T2000 Tandem, Cupertino MTB Tandem, FreeAgent26"Xtracycle, Dirt Drop Dingle, Jamis Dragon Dingle, Airborne Skyhag SS, SSDean Cols
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 61 Posts
Originally Posted by George Mann
Schrader valves. The tube failed when it shifted, damaging the base of the valve. My tires are CST Sensamo Controls (puncture resistant liner).
Hi George,

You mentioned that the valve stem holes in the rims are kind of rough. For that it is possible to take a small file and deburr them. That's not an unreasonable thing to try and small files are available at hardware stores and come in handy for many things.

As for the rim strip, I doubt that is part of the problem, but I dislike the butyl rubber type because they are heavy, they break down over time, and lose their elasticity and eventually (could take years) creep and expose the spoke holes and result in a flat.

I've been mountain biking for a long time and tires slipping around a rim has long been an occasional problem.

One of the leading causes in my experience has been with rims that for some reason are apparently the tiniest amount smaller and do not hold the tire/tube/rim together as tightly as they should.

We would always keep an eye on the stem when we checked our pressures before riding and deflate and readjust the stem to perpendicular if needed.

But there were tire/rim combinations that the tire slid too much on. Not wanting to waste perfectly good tread we developed a solution.

It's not pretty.

Take an old inner tube and cut it into sections of 5" or so. These pieces are installed under the innertube with the ends sticking out of the rim between the tire bead and the rim. This effectively shims the tire bead, making it tighter. It may also be that the rubber sort of grips the bead, but I think the shim effect is what makes this work. We would usually use 2-4 shims. There is a weight penalty and there is a potential unbalanced penalty as well. However in practice, we never really noticed. We would cut the shims down with sharp scissors as close to the rim as is practical.

I write in the past tense because almost of our bikes are tubeless now. However I still have a wheel in the garage that has these shims in it.

Also perhaps surprisingly, no one notices the hack unless they are fellow bike geeks.

BTW George, you did mention about trying to make the set-up tubeless. Well it's possible, but it might not be worth the hassle and expense from the sounds of it. It doesn't sound like you are mountain biking.

In your part of Colorado there are terrible goat heads that give out multiple punctures. I would recommend using regular tubes and squirting Slime into the innertube through the Schrader valve with the core removed. But I don't have much experience with that technique. I've done it, but not in Goat-head country. I'm not sure how effective Slime is against them. It's worth a try maybe.
Old 09-19-22, 10:05 AM
George Mann

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh RetroGlide iE

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 18 Posts
Well, I decided that I am going to give up on this bike and buy an Ebike (and convert it to tubeless) do to no longer being healthy enough to ride a regular one.

Thanks for all your help.
Old 09-19-22, 06:33 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4195 Post(s)
Liked 3,837 Times in 2,295 Posts
Tubeless and E assist? Out of the frying pan and into the fire when a problem develops... Increasing complexity when not handling the base level already wouldn't be my choice. Andy
Old 09-25-22, 06:33 PM
Sorcerer

Location: '16 StumpJ, Salsa Mukluk, Soulcycles SS, Dean Colonel HT, BMC FourstrokeTrail, Dean Torres CX, Santana Visa Tandem, Trek T2000 Tandem, Cupertino MTB Tandem, FreeAgent26"Xtracycle, Dirt Drop Dingle, Jamis Dragon Dingle, Airborne Skyhag SS, SSDean Cols
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 61 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
Tubeless and E assist? Out of the frying pan and into the fire when a problem develops... Increasing complexity when not handling the base level already wouldn't be my choice. Andy
BF strikes again.

Double down George and put some Cush Core inserts into that eBike's rims while you're at it. That fix it.
Old 09-26-22, 02:42 PM
trucklet
good cheap fun

Bikes: Too many

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 17 Posts
Yup get the Cush Cores and be done with it, especially if you end up with something internally geared.
Old 09-26-22, 04:50 PM
Inusuit

Bikes: 1995 Specialized Rockhopper,1989 Specialized Rock Combo, 2013 Specialized Tarmac Elite

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 588 Times in 278 Posts
I think I can solve all my mechanicals by buying a new bike.
Old 09-26-22, 05:30 PM
Symox

Bikes: '23 Poseidon Redwood, '07 Specialized Roubaix Comp Triple, '12 Gravity Fixie, '21 Liv Rove 4, '06? Giant EB Spirit

Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 151 Posts
velox cotton tape

These have been my favorite rim strips. Never had an issue with them. They stay put and aren't abrasive.
Likes For Symox: