Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Worth upgrading from older high end Jamis to newer tech?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Worth upgrading from older high end Jamis to newer tech?

Old 12-10-22, 08:21 AM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 573 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
From looking at the setup of your current bike, the relatively high stack of the Defy should suit you very well.
Compared to other endurance bikes like the Cannondale Synapse and Trek Domaine, the stack on the Defy isn't that high.
Old 12-10-22, 08:47 AM
Ridinglurker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
The D fuse seat post feels nice. But that chim mechanism sucks. Every year I take the post out for cleaning, I swear I never buy another Giant bike. Hope you never lend the bike to a friend because adjustment also sucks.

I also have the suspicion some wear at the insertion point will create a cut in the carbon. Not sure if it is real, but I wouldn't be surprised.

And you never can get a different post. I also don't know if all the D posts are interchangeable or if they have different sizes. In 10 years they may not have replacements.

I bet there are nice round posts that work equally as good
Old 12-10-22, 08:48 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4271 Post(s)
Liked 4,707 Times in 2,907 Posts
Originally Posted by Lombard
Compared to other endurance bikes like the Cannondale Synapse and Trek Domaine, the stack on the Defy isn't that high.
I was comparing it to the current bike. The Defy has a relatively high stack in line with most other modern endurance bikes. The 2011 Jamis Xenith has a much lower stack.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 12-10-22, 09:05 AM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

I was comparing it to the current bike. The Defy has a relatively high stack in line with most other modern endurance bikes. The 2011 Jamis Xenith has a much lower stack.
So the Jamis Zenith is more of an aggressive race bike?
Old 12-10-22, 09:05 AM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by Ridinglurker
The D fuse seat post feels nice. But that chim mechanism sucks. Every year I take the post out for cleaning, I swear I never buy another Giant bike. Hope you never lend the bike to a friend because adjustment also sucks.

I also have the suspicion some wear at the insertion point will create a cut in the carbon. Not sure if it is real, but I wouldn't be surprised.

And you never can get a different post. I also don't know if all the D posts are interchangeable or if they have different sizes. In 10 years they may not have replacements.

I bet there are nice round posts that work equally as good
I have not had any issues with the Giant D-fuse post and it does make the ride compliant. But I do prefer the split round post on my Canyon Endurace. It would not be a deal breaker for me. either way.
Old 12-10-22, 09:21 AM
PeteHski

Well they don't list stack height for the Jamis, but the head tube is 25 mm shorter than the equivalent size Defy. The Jamis also has a much shorter wheelbase and slightly longer top tube.
Old 12-10-22, 09:23 AM
KerryIrons

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 497 Post(s)
Liked 622 Times in 346 Posts
Originally Posted by Dictatorsaurus
With technology changing, would the newer Defy be a noticeable upgrade?
Nope. Different undoubtedly, but if you're expecting a noticeable performance improvement (e.g. faster) the answer is most certainly no.
Likes For KerryIrons:
Old 12-10-22, 12:04 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3905 Post(s)
Liked 7,181 Times in 2,905 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
The D-Fuse would be a definite no for me, I see a proprietary seatpost I am generally out.
Proprietary parts like this would be an immediate dealbreaker for me. You can never use a different seatpost if you decide you want one with a different setback, etc. You are stuck going through Giant.
I don't see the problem with a proprietary seat post. It performs a very simple function, and it doesn't really wear out. If (by chance) you break it, you can buy another one from Giant.
Old 12-10-22, 12:42 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1935 Post(s)
Liked 2,148 Times in 1,312 Posts
Well they don't list stack height for the Jamis, but the head tube is 25 mm shorter than the equivalent size Defy. The Jamis also has a much shorter wheelbase and slightly longer top tube.
Now we are getting somewhere.

Aside from the wider tires, and newer tech, how would the Giant fit and ride compared with the Jamis.

You have to figure out what is lacking, or desired improvements, in the ride/handling of the Jamis, or what Jamis qualities you want in the new bike.

Except for that grail bike that fits and rides perfectly, every “production” bike has some compromises. If the benefits outweigh those compromises, it will be fine. If you find yourself going back to the Jamis, it will be an expensive lesson.

John
Likes For 70sSanO:
Old 12-10-22, 01:11 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4251 Post(s)
Liked 3,863 Times in 2,578 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
I don't see the problem with a proprietary seat post. It performs a very simple function, and it doesn't really wear out. If (by chance) you break it, you can buy another one from Giant.
No they generally don't break and decent quality ones seldom have issues but say Giant decides yeah we want a new shape for our seatposts, you are out of luck. Or say you want to do a Kinekt or eeSilk or Thudbuster or a dropper post or titanium post or have a different need that the two options don't provide. Say a clamp breaks it is an odd proprietary clamp as well so you could be well screwed if something does happen. Granted yes it is not often these things happen but they do happen and that is why proprietary seatposts don't do it for me. A 27.2, 30.9, 31.6 seatpost is really all we need simple round made by most all the manufacturers of seatposts in at least one of those sizes and sometimes most or all in such a wide variety of options.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 12-10-22, 01:24 PM
tomato coupe

No they generally don't break and decent quality ones seldom have issues but say Giant decides yeah we want a new shape for our seatposts, you are out of luck. Or say you want to do a Kinekt or eeSilk or Thudbuster or a dropper post or titanium post or have a different need that the two options don't provide. Say a clamp breaks it is an odd proprietary clamp as well so you could be well screwed if something does happen. Granted yes it is not often these things happen but they do happen and that is why proprietary seatposts don't do it for me. A 27.2, 30.9, 31.6 seatpost is really all we need simple round made by most all the manufacturers of seatposts in at least one of those sizes and sometimes most or all in such a wide variety of options.
Sure, you obviously shouldn't buy a bike with a proprietary seat post if you think there's a chance you'll want to replace it with a dropper post, etc. But, the majority of cyclists aren't going to do that, so a proprietary seat post is a non-issue.
Old 12-10-22, 02:50 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1935 Post(s)
Liked 2,148 Times in 1,312 Posts
Just in passing, do people actually install a dropper on an endurance road bike?

I really don't know, but I applaud anyone who is pushing that type of bike down terrain that requires one.

John
Old 12-10-22, 03:07 PM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Sure, you obviously shouldn't buy a bike with a proprietary seat post if you think there's a chance you'll want to replace it with a dropper post, etc. But, the majority of cyclists aren't going to do that, so a proprietary seat post is a non-issue.
If you read his whole post rather than homing in on one item, you would see there are multiple reasons one might want a different seatpost. Here, I'll help you:

Not to mention what if you want a seatpost with a different setback. Again, you are SOL.
Likes For Lombard:
Old 12-10-22, 03:23 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10897 Post(s)
Liked 7,384 Times in 4,144 Posts
If you read his whole post rather than homing in on one item, you would see there are multiple reasons one might want a different seatpost. Here, I'll help you:

Not to mention what if you want a seatpost with a different setback. Again, you are SOL.
I am not defending the dfuse seatpost here and I largely dismiss proprietary tech as ever being an option to own.
With that out of the way, the dfuse comes in at least 25mm and 0mm offset. I ride with people who have both.
If a cyclist cant get properly fit on either of those seatpost, something is wrong with the bike's fit.

Now yes, that doesn't address the possibility of someone wanting a thudbuster on their giant dfuse seatpost road bike. For those 3 people in the world, they are SOL. Same with the 4 people in the world that want to slap a titanium seatpost on their carbon Giant road bike. Those 4 people are also SOL.
Old 12-10-22, 03:35 PM
kommisar

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 32 Posts
Originally Posted by Dictatorsaurus
I have a 2011 Jamis Xenith Team carbon DA di2 with Reynolds carbon 44/66 wheels (rim brakes)

I've been tempted to get the 2021 Giant Defy Ultegra di2. They retail for $6,500 which is quite a bit. I don't know how much I would get for my Jamis.

A few things I'm considering

- I like disc brakes
- Whole internal cable routing on the Defy
- Allows for wider tires
- Wheels are tubeless
- Giant D-Fuse seatpost provides noticeable comfort with around 12mm swing.
disc brakes? Do you live in a rainy climate and ride in the rain? Otherwise, I don't think they do much for a road bike.

internal cable? Hard install, hard to maintain, no practical benefit. You can definitely live without this

wider tires? Yes please, this is a definite upgrade and might be worth it. Are you uncomfortable on your current tires during most rides?

tubeless? Do you ride somewhere with goatheads? If so, it would be very desirable... Otherwise the possibility to reduce pressure could increase comfort so maybe nice

seatpost? Ok this could be nice too.

Can you get a pair of tubeless ready wheels and suspension seatpost for your current bike? Would be much cheaper and would win almost all the benefits you would see from the expensive bike.

Last edited by kommisar; 12-10-22 at 03:38 PM.
Likes For kommisar:
Old 12-10-22, 03:36 PM
tomato coupe

Relax. That word at the end of the my sentence ("etc") meant I agreed with your list of possible reasons.

The D-Fuse seat post is available in two setbacks.
Old 12-10-22, 03:42 PM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Relax. That word at the end of the my sentence ("etc") meant I agreed with your list of possible reasons.

The D-Fuse seat post is available in two setbacks.
OK, understood.
Old 12-10-22, 04:01 PM
tFUnK

Bikes: Too many bikes, too little time to ride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 424 Post(s)
Liked 442 Times in 303 Posts
With respect to proprietary seat posts, the D post on my BMC is proprietary and it came cracked from what I suspect to be over-clamping by the previous owner. Finding a replacement was a bit challenging and expensive. I got lucky on eBay but I'm hoping that crack was a one-off and not a design flaw that might creep up again down the line with my replacement post.
Old 12-11-22, 08:23 AM
RH Clark

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 449 Times in 246 Posts
I don't want proprietary anything on a bicycle. I've lived long enough to know it will eventually be a problem, or at least an aggravation.
Likes For RH Clark:
Old 12-11-22, 09:20 AM
PeteHski

but say Giant decides yeah we want a new shape for our seatposts, you are out of luck.
Given that this is Giant we are talking about, proprietary parts are likely to be available for decades. Of course it limits your options if you happen to be a serial seatpost addict. But for most users it is very much a non-issue.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 12-11-22, 09:54 AM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3185 Post(s)
Liked 2,020 Times in 1,158 Posts
I would upgrade an older bike to get 3 things, disc brakes, Di2 or E-Tap electronic shifting and tubeless wheels/tires.

You need a new frame and wheels for disc brakes, so might as well buy a new bike.
Old 12-11-22, 11:42 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Given that this is Giant we are talking about, proprietary parts are likely to be available for decades. Of course it limits your options if you happen to be a serial seatpost addict. But for most users it is very much a non-issue.
One would hope the parts will be available from Giant for decades.

Like I said there are many reasons to want a different seatpost and this does limit your options to according to their website a single option but obviously they make a carbon version so two versions. During the endemic we are still facing there are still parts shortage issues, if our options were between only two posts we would be severely limited for repairs especially if they couldn't meet demands.

Look I get it people love Giant and their proprietary seatpost is just fine with nary an issue ever sure whatever but I will not subscribe to that. Working in the industry knowing companies who use proprietary parts and discontinue them or people needing to replace them for one reason or another I am always leery of parts like that even if it is a lower likelihood of issues.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 12-11-22, 01:28 PM
PeteHski

One would hope the parts will be available from Giant for decades.

Like I said there are many reasons to want a different seatpost and this does limit your options to according to their website a single option but obviously they make a carbon version so two versions. During the endemic we are still facing there are still parts shortage issues, if our options were between only two posts we would be severely limited for repairs especially if they couldn't meet demands.

Look I get it people love Giant and their proprietary seatpost is just fine with nary an issue ever sure whatever but I will not subscribe to that. Working in the industry knowing companies who use proprietary parts and discontinue them or people needing to replace them for one reason or another I am always leery of parts like that even if it is a lower likelihood of issues.
There are actually several different versions of the carbon D-fuse post at differing price points. It's a pretty effective system as it happens. Being proprietary is only a problem for those who absolutely have to replace their stock seatpost with something different for whatever reason. It wasn't a big deal for me as the carbon D-fuse post is perfectly fine.
Old 12-11-22, 07:21 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

There are actually several different versions of the carbon D-fuse post at differing price points. It's a pretty effective system as it happens. Being proprietary is only a problem for those who absolutely have to replace their stock seatpost with something different for whatever reason. It wasn't a big deal for me as the carbon D-fuse post is perfectly fine.
Sure but again if something does happen, maybe you want a isolation or suspension post, a dropper, a different material, they are out and you need one or they actually do decide to discontinue the post...things like that can cause issues. The concept isn't terrible but there are so many great round posts that pretty much everyone else uses.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 12-12-22, 05:58 AM
PeteHski

Sure but again if something does happen, maybe you want a isolation or suspension post, a dropper, a different material, they are out and you need one or they actually do decide to discontinue the post...things like that can cause issues. The concept isn't terrible but there are so many great round posts that pretty much everyone else uses.
You worry too much. These are non-issues for 99% of Defy owners. The D-post concept works and that's one of the attractions of this particular bike. It's not for everyone, but worrying about not being able to source a seatpost for my Defy is not something I lose sleep over. If it was a more niche brand then maybe it could be more of a potential issue. But Giant parts, including discontinued parts, are relatively easy to source online. There are even several third party suppliers who specialise in Giant spares. There are a lot of Giant bikes out there, so the demand for spares is not going to dry up overnight.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.