Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Buying cycling Shoes online

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-22, 11:36 AM
Senathon

Bikes: Posiden X for Practice, Need one for road and light gravel

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts

When I buy regular shoes online, sometimes the brands are too large or too small. Is that the same with cycling shoes? When I measure my foot(after running for 30 minutes) during the afternoon I am a size 43cm(10.5), but I notice that my shoes are too tight so I go to size 44cm(11).

How do you judge what shoe size to buy? There are not too many places to buy cycling shoes around here to try on.
Old 12-13-22, 11:47 AM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
IMO, you just have to buy shoes on either side of your size and return those that don't fit. Some online retailers (like Zappos) allow for free returns.

I've had better luck using "European" sizing than U.S. numbers, but manufacturers all use different shoe lasts, so sizing is imprecise no matter what.
Old 12-13-22, 11:55 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6950 Post(s)
Liked 10,958 Times in 4,685 Posts
Specialized makes excellent shoes, and they offer a 30-day return privilege -- even after they've been used. That's a great way to try them out.
Old 12-13-22, 12:02 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,518 Times in 7,324 Posts
If REI has what you might be looking for, there is one in Christiana. You can exchange if they don't fit.
Old 12-13-22, 12:04 PM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1097 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 446 Posts
Look for brand that includes a foot length chart. I used Sidi shoes for many years and always bought a 42.5/8.5, but with Fizik shoes my foot length showed a 41, which worked. I bought winter shoes this year and went with a 41.5, which worked. Fizik has a shoe sizing chart that can be downloaded.

https://www.fizik.com/us_en/shop/sho...d-cycling.html

Sidi now has a foot length for each size, too. It will come up at this link, if you select size chart.

https://www.sidi.com/en/road-shoes/1...ro-gore-2.html
Old 12-13-22, 12:20 PM
soyabean

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 525 Post(s)
Liked 410 Times in 270 Posts
Crocs offers the same return policy.

Better yet, why not just go with Crocs?

Cheaper. More roomier. Win!

Likes For soyabean:
Old 12-13-22, 12:25 PM
Ogsarg

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2, 2009 Roubaix, early 90's Giant Iguana

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 642 Post(s)
Liked 1,524 Times in 550 Posts
Shoe fit is about more than measurements. Shoes are made on a last, or mold, that determines the shape of the shoe and there are different lasts for the same size, which is partly why you can wear size x for one shoe and size y for another and why certain brands may fit someone and why I really want to try on multiple shoes before buying them. Unfortunately, with shopping moving more and more online, retailers can't afford to stock much variety anymore so that is getting harder and harder.
Likes For Ogsarg:
Old 12-13-22, 01:40 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
try to read reviews that mention sizing
a little larger is kinda safe cuz you can always add or change a sock
I'm a 12.5 US so I just always get 13s ...
when using Euro sizing, I just go with the closest to 13
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 12-13-22, 01:53 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 2,079 Times in 1,177 Posts
I made the mistake of purchasing some Lake winter shows online. My mistake was too little research and discovering that while Lake refers to the 303 boot as "wide" if you look at their fit chart, it's not really and there are other shoes in their lineup that are on wider lasts. My shoes don't fit very well and are not very warm as a result. A waste of near $200. OTOH, I have been using wide Shimano shoes for 20 years and feel comfortable ordering a different model in their wide series, as I have had luck with prior models and find their fit consistent.
Old 12-13-22, 05:15 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by soyabean
Crocs offers the same return policy.

Better yet, why not just go with Crocs?

Cheaper. More roomier. Win!
And wholly worthless for many applications. Or did you just want an excuse to post that photo?
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 12-13-22, 05:21 PM
roadcrankr
Thread derailleur

Bikes: Merlin Extralight '94 & Cannondale Supersix '15

Quoted: 367 Post(s)
Liked 458 Times in 261 Posts
Come on, you all, admit it: you try 'em on at the shop, then hop online when you get home.
Seriously, my LBS's charge sometimes double the online price. I'd happily buy from my LBS with only a slight premium.
Shimano shoes fit my feet well, even across their various models. I find a good-lookin 42.5 and buy with confidence.
Old 12-13-22, 05:32 PM
Senathon

Bikes: Posiden X for Practice, Need one for road and light gravel

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
If REI has what you might be looking for, there is one in Christiana. You can exchange if they don't fit.
They never had my size when I go there. The closet I seen they got was a size 9 or a size 12 in mens.
Old 12-13-22, 06:08 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2577 Post(s)
Liked 5,625 Times in 2,914 Posts
One consideration to keep in mind is that feet swell in hot weather, especially after an hour. You may want to go 1/2 or a full size larger so you don’t end up getting ‘hot foot’.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 12-13-22, 06:31 PM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1395 Post(s)
Liked 1,870 Times in 1,075 Posts

Originally Posted by Senathon

When I measure my foot(after running for 30 minutes) during the afternoon I am a size 43cm(10.5), but I notice that my shoes are too tight so I go to size 44cm(11).
not always - but often a 44 will be size 10 ... 44.5 will be 10.5 ... etc

different manufacturers sizes can vary of course

Last edited by t2p; 12-13-22 at 06:36 PM.
Old 12-13-22, 06:37 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1744 Post(s)
Liked 1,370 Times in 719 Posts
I have been fitting cycling shoes, ski boots, and running shoes for customers for several decades (close to 40 years!) and without a question, assuming you are serious about a well fitted cycling shoe, go to a reputable Specialized dealer and get the shoes from them.

Why do I put the spotlight on Specialized? First, I gotta let you know I am not at all a Specialized fan, although the shop I worked in has been selling them since 1990. I don't like the leaders of the company and the only item I had with the "red S" on it was a pair of S-Works road shoes. In my opinion, Specialized dealers that receive training from the company on fitting bikes, also know how to fit Specialized cycling shoes. I learned more about proper shoe fit and some of the mechanics of the foot from SBC than any other source. For a noob or average rider with limited experience, going to the red S dealer and getting the shoes from them is a no brainer.
Likes For TiHabanero:
Old 12-14-22, 12:50 AM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Quoted: 996 Post(s)
Liked 1,204 Times in 690 Posts
The only time I buy online is if I have already owned (and liked) a pair of that exact brand before. Even that's not a guarantee, but it's fairly reliable. It's not just about length, either. Width, toe box, heel, and even how it fits across the top.

Originally Posted by roadcrankr
Come on, you all, admit it: you try 'em on at the shop, then hop online when you get home.
Seriously, my LBS's charge sometimes double the online price. I'd happily buy from my LBS with only a slight premium.
Shimano shoes fit my feet well, even across their various models. I find a good-lookin 42.5 and buy with confidence.
Except when nobody buys them, they will eventually stop carrying them in stock because space costs money, then you won't have anywhere to try them on.
I guess you could try asking them if they will come closer to a competitor's price. One of my LBS's price matches... apparently even Amazon! Haven't tried it yet though, since they're prices are usually within pennies of anything I can find.
Old 12-14-22, 06:32 AM
indyfabz

They never had my size when I go there. The closet I seen they got was a size 9 or a size 12 in mens.
You can order on line for free delivery to the store and order a different size if they don’t fit.
Old 12-14-22, 10:34 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Originally Posted by Rolla
IMO, you just have to buy shoes on either side of your size and return those that don't fit. Some online retailers (like Zappos) allow for free returns.

I've had better luck using "European" sizing than U.S. numbers, but manufacturers all use different shoe lasts, so sizing is imprecise no matter what.
That's what I did last time I bought shoes online. i went one further: I bought two sizes of two different shoes and picked the one that fit best, and returned the other three. At the time I used Performance Bike (the old one) and IIRC, they took back the three extraneous pair no questions asked. If Zappos carries what you're looking for, they (last time I used them) pay shipping both ways for returns. I can try on several different makes/models of MTB shoes locally, but very few options for road shoes, and the prices are high, so therefore the mail order strategy worked well.

More recently, I was fortunate that I was able to try on shoes when I bought my new MTB shoes, but probably could have bought online because they're the same make (Sidi) and size as my road shoes.

I would never try on shoes in a shop and then buy the same ones online if they're cheaper. This is the epitome of asshattery and worth of scorn. If you don't want to buy in the shop because of price, you'll just have to play the game we've desctibed.
Likes For Camilo:
Old 12-15-22, 01:44 AM
Fredo76
The Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: 1976 Fredo Speciale, Jamis Citizen 1, Ellis-Briggs FAVORI, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr.

Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked 910 Times in 445 Posts
The 3 pair of cycling shoes I've gotten online when I ordered my usual European size (46) all fit as expected.
Old 12-15-22, 04:26 AM
jgwilliams

Bikes: Dolan Tuono 105 Di2, custom built 653 and 531 bikes with frames by Barry Witcomb, Sonder Dial XT mountain bike and a Brompton folding bike.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 100 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve B.
OTOH, I have been using wide Shimano shoes for 20 years and feel comfortable ordering a different model in their wide series, as I have had luck with prior models and find their fit consistent.
Likewise. After finding that Shimano size 43 wide fit me well, I've ordered other Shimano shoes online without difficulty. I'm not sure I'd feel confident about buying other makes online in the same way. Although I do a lot of online shopping, I've rarely buy clothes this way and I've only ever bought shoes from a manufacturer I'm familiar with. I should add, though, that I have quite non-standard shaped feet and used to have huge difficulties getting shoes to fit me at all when I was young, so your experience may differ.

Last edited by jgwilliams; 12-15-22 at 04:30 AM. Reason: Add comment about foot shape
Likes For jgwilliams:
Old 12-15-22, 06:02 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4391 Post(s)
Liked 4,833 Times in 2,988 Posts
When I buy regular shoes online, sometimes the brands are too large or too small. Is that the same with cycling shoes? When I measure my foot(after running for 30 minutes) during the afternoon I am a size 43cm(10.5), but I notice that my shoes are too tight so I go to size 44cm(11).

How do you judge what shoe size to buy? There are not too many places to buy cycling shoes around here to try on.
Yep, it's much the same. If you do a bit of research on the various cycle shoe brands/models and their fit then you can make an educated guess when buying online. It's worked out okay for me. Actually the one pair I bought in a shop a few years back turned out to be a pretty bad fit. They felt good when trying on briefly in the shop, but turned out to be too narrow when cycling in the heat. I did a lot more research before buying an alternative pair online and ended up with a great fit in the end.
Old 12-15-22, 08:02 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2601 Post(s)
Liked 1,925 Times in 1,208 Posts
Something about the "buy extras and return what doesn't fit" rubs me wrong. But I did it, and found what size Sidi fits me, so I've worn out and re-ordered a couple pairs in that size.

Now if I could just figure out who carries sizes larger than 48...
Old 12-15-22, 08:39 AM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 2,079 Times in 1,177 Posts
I've used 3 different Shimano shoes, 2 as SPD, one a road shoe. all in the length I need for light socks and as wides. All were constantly a good fit, Thus I feel confident ordering a Shimano shoe online as their fit seems to be consistent over time.
Likes For Steve B.:
Old 12-15-22, 08:45 AM
PoorInRichfield

Bikes: Trek Domane SL7 Disc, Cannondale F29

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 387 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 184 Posts
I highly recommend https://bikeshoes.com/ for buying shoes online... free shipping, free returns, a lot of top brands, and excellent customer service. I have no affiliation with BikeShoes.com other than I'm a happy customer based off of a recent purchase of several Lake shoes from them.

If you have narrow feet and like your toes squished, nearly any cycling brand will do. However, if you have wide feet, start with Lake shoes. Lake's sizing chart is a bit confusing, hence I ordered several pairs and sent back the ones that didn't fit.
Likes For PoorInRichfield:
Old 12-15-22, 09:30 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by Steve B.
I've used 3 different Shimano shoes, 2 as SPD, one a road shoe. all in the length I need for light socks and as wides. All were constantly a good fit, Thus I feel confident ordering a Shimano shoe online as their fit seems to be consistent over time.
+1. I had a pair of Shimano MTB shoes (SPD) for touring and commuting. They eventually wore out after years of heavy use. Ordered a new pair from somewhere on line. Ordered the same size and they fit just like the worn out pair.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.