Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Covid shot effect on cycling

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 08-27-21, 10:09 AM
Tomm Willians

Bikes: Subject to change at any given moment but currently is...... Colnago Mapei, Colnago C40, Wilier Triestina Carbon, Wilier Triestina Ramato, Follis 472, Peugeot PX60, Razesa, Orbea Terra, Soma Pescadero and 1/2 owner of a Santana tandem.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 782 Times in 264 Posts

I received my first shot a bit over two weeks ago and it still seems to have a grip on me. Lack of strength, leg cramps and little endurance, it seems to have set me back (for now) to where I was a year ago. This can’t last much longer I assume? Any of you have an issue like this? remedy?
Old 08-27-21, 10:15 AM
friday1970

Bikes: Optima Baron LR, '14 Nishiki Maricopa,'87 Trek 330 Elance, '89 Miyata 1400, '85 Peugeot PGN10, '04 Fuji Ace, '06 Giant Rincon, '95 Giant Allegre, '83 Trek 620, '86 Schwinn High Sierra

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked 162 Times in 106 Posts
I don't have any remedies or suggestions, other than Vitamin C and Gatorade. This, and keep cycling to build your lungs back up.
I've been on the fence about getting this shot, even though I believe I had covid during the first rounds of it in Jan 2020. But when I read stuff like this above, yeah...more and more I don't think I want it.
Likes For friday1970:
Old 08-27-21, 10:19 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6177 Post(s)
Liked 4,794 Times in 3,306 Posts
It's temporary. You'll get over it much better than some of the after effects of COVID that I had.

The fact you are getting a response to the shot I see as a positive thing. But if this is longer than a few days since the shot, then maybe you actually have COVID or something else.

If this is lingering something or other, then go to someone that has half a chance of figuring out what it is or at least a chance to eliminate it as being something to worry about.... your doctor!

Last edited by Iride01; 08-27-21 at 10:43 AM.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 08-27-21, 10:28 AM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked 695 Times in 434 Posts
My wife and I have both had two shots of the Pfizer vaccine. Other than very little tenderness around the injection site, neither of us had a reaction.
Likes For freeranger:
Old 08-27-21, 10:31 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,686 Times in 2,509 Posts
Call your doctor, that isn't right. There can be side effects, but they are exceedingly rare beyond a little soreness and fever the next day. If they are still there after a week they need to be checked out.
If it's just coincidence, I might have that checked out anyway.
Likes For unterhausen:
Old 08-27-21, 10:32 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,492 Times in 7,316 Posts
Maybe try horse paste?

My adverse reactions to both doses lasted a few days each. I may have had COVID well before that, and it quite possible that is what made me lose consciousness one afternoon while walking errands during lunch, resulting in, among other things, a severely fractured left thumb with a double avulsion that will never work fully again.

Last edited by indyfabz; 08-27-21 at 10:45 AM.
Old 08-27-21, 10:38 AM
bikecrate

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked 397 Times in 226 Posts
No to side effects other than flu like symptoms for half a day after the second shot. I have a hard time seeing the vaccine as the issue two weeks later, but since this is a bike website I would seek advice from your doctor.
Likes For bikecrate:
Old 08-27-21, 10:38 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Both my wife and I got the virus shot as soon as we could. Absolutely no side effects at all.
Likes For rydabent:
Old 08-27-21, 10:41 AM
Steamer
Zircon Encrusted Tweezers

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Liked 127 Times in 82 Posts
Talk to a health professional. I, as well as everyone whom I've talked to about the subject, was totally clear of side effects other than sore arm in less than 36 hours after injection. A few people had a persistent sore arm for 3 or 4 days.
Old 08-27-21, 10:42 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2564 Post(s)
Liked 5,595 Times in 2,903 Posts
My wife and I have had both Pfizer shots and neither of us experienced any issues. As the others have said, you need to consult your doctor to determine if there is something else going on. The timing may be purely coincidental. Good luck

Likes For rsbob:
Old 08-27-21, 10:44 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
I had my shot few weeks ago and so far no side effects at all.
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 08-27-21, 10:54 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
I had the J&J. Fluish feeling the day after, some lingering fatigue and shakiness the day after that. By the 3rd day I felt 100%. You might shoot your doctor an email.
Likes For caloso:
Old 08-27-21, 11:03 AM
RiceAWay

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 81 Posts
Being retired I have a small social group and two of those members have had heart attacks within a month of vaccination. One from riding too hard and the other from stress of her son having a divorce. From the slides I've seen I am pretty sure that you will have a complete recovery but I wouldn't stress myself for a couple of months.
Old 08-27-21, 11:05 AM
blakcloud

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 352 Times in 225 Posts
When I got my first AZ shot I had terrible side effects. Felt like I had COVID and went to the emerg and was tested but came back negative. This was while I was working as a COVID Case Manager for the Public Health Department and I had to take off one week from work it was so bad. Second shot wasn't as bad but still I took off three days after that one. I also prepared myself by taking Tylenol before hand and made sure I had the days off to rest.

Everyone reacts differently. My wife who did the same AZ shots as me didn't feel a thing and was fine.

To the OP, it would be prudent to get tested for COVID since it is your first shot, just to rule it out. In my role, I talked to many people who got COVID after their first shot or within a week of getting the second shot. I hope you start feeling better soon.
Old 08-27-21, 11:10 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4385 Post(s)
Liked 4,826 Times in 2,982 Posts
Originally Posted by friday1970
I don't have any remedies or suggestions, other than Vitamin C and Gatorade. This, and keep cycling to build your lungs back up.
I've been on the fence about getting this shot, even though I believe I had covid during the first rounds of it in Jan 2020. But when I read stuff like this above, yeah...more and more I don't think I want it.
Have you not read about what Covid potentially does to you? It can be a lot worse than this - you know like dying or having massive fatigue issues for months on end. There have been many people on the fence like you who have since caught Covid and died of it. That's not a lesson you want to learn!
Old 08-27-21, 11:15 AM
OldRailfan
Old enough, hmmm?

Bikes: DeVinci, Bianchi, Nishiki, RBSM Mud Adder

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 113 Times in 82 Posts
I got my first shot way back in April when we were still XC skiing, The day after I went for a good long ski, no muscle pain, no "drag", just skied like any other day during the season.
Got the second shot June 2nd. Next day I went for a 52+ km ride at my usual pace. Absolutely no side effects. Pfizer vaccine seems to agree with this old body (76 and counting).
Old 08-27-21, 11:15 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,686 Times in 2,509 Posts
Well, that's enough of that. OP call your doctor. Over a billion people around the world have had one of these shots and had no serious side effects at all.
Literally dozens have had a problem for more than a few days.
Likes For unterhausen: