Notices
Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area Looking to enter into the realm of track racing? Want to share your experiences and tactics for riding on a velodrome? The Track Cycling forums is for you! Come in and discuss training/racing, equipment, and current track cycling events.

"Dear Carleton"

Old 03-09-16, 05:12 AM
gycho77

Bikes: Serotta steel track bike, Specialized MTB

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by himespau
I've felt a Columbus SLX frame flex under me as I've climbed and run out of gears. Doesn't help that I'm an out of shape fat ass on a 63 cm frame. Better gearing and better shape helped some.
Slx flexes a lot of because of the shape
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg
image.jpeg (66.1 KB, 57 views)
Old 03-09-16, 07:36 AM
wens

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by carleton

Yup. That head tube is like 8 or 9cm. Waaaay to low.

I guess it makes for a smaller "compact" frame that is stiffer. But, look at what lengths you have to go to make aero bars work. Also, the "low is always better" trend in aero bars is over. Now that aero bar base pads are rising, so should the stack of the frames.
The under elbow pad spacers are actually faster than pads right on the bar, at least with enough separation in some cases. Besides, I'd rather have base bars low for standing starts so it doesn't feel like I'm trying to do them with my hip angle way too open.
Old 03-09-16, 07:46 AM
Poppit

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I tried and failed to get closeups of the Italian team pursuit bikes as they were things of beauty, Pinarello Maat frames, Campag wheels, here is a stock image of the team

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
italy_513285310_670.jpg (53.6 KB, 55 views)
Old 03-09-16, 09:52 AM
dunderhi

Bikes: Little Wing, XTRACK, Electron Pro, SuperCorsa, Paramount, & Thunderdrome

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Ha. I hadn't thought of the fact that molds are so expensive that it actually limits the available sizes.

You are dead on about the stack. Most track bikes have a short head tube. Until "short-n-shallow" bars like the Scatto came along, riders would use +17deg stems to get the stack back so they could run drop bars.

Shallow bars like the Scatto (and those that came after) have certainly helped with that.

My personal example, a 58 or 60cm frame would often come with a 11cm head tube. With shallow B125 bars (similar in depth to the Scatto), I still had to use lots of rise:

11cm Headtube on my first Tiemeyer (made as a Kilo bike). This head tube is admittedly too short. This is an early season "comfort" setup that's really high. But, still, I had to use spacers and rise stem.

Look what happened when I had a custom frame made with what I feel is an appropriate 15cm head tube:

I can run a nearly flat steam (-6 degrees I think) and the bars are reasonably deep. Notice the grip distance from the top of the tire.

I can run a -17deg stem and go deeper if needed.
The HT length is why I went to the trouble of getting my Pinarello XTRACK imported to the US. My 55cm frame has a 17.4cm HT. I also went with Argon18 for their adjustable HT.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Rock Hill.jpg (99.5 KB, 49 views)
Old 03-09-16, 09:59 AM
gycho77

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Poppit
I tried and failed to get closeups of the Italian team pursuit bikes as they were things of beauty, Pinarello Maat frames, Campag wheels, here is a stock image of the team

They are using Pinarello Maat
https://instagram.com/p/BCdosxckV9s/
I'm not sure about yhe model name
Old 03-09-16, 10:31 AM
Koogar

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

My personal example, a 58 or 60cm frame would often come with a 11cm head tube. With shallow B125 bars (similar in depth to the Scatto), I still had to use lots of rise:

11cm Headtube on my first Tiemeyer (made as a Kilo bike). This head tube is admittedly too short. This is an early season "comfort" setup that's really high. But, still, I had to use spacers and rise stem.

I give you credit for actually using the rise and spacers to get your hand position where you need it - a lot of people will just slam that stem and then wonder why they're so uncomfortable, even though their track bikes look how a track bike is supposed to look

Still, I wonder how much the stack of spacers below the stem on the Tiemeyer impacted front end stiffness and placed the steerer at greater risk of failure.... Spacers and rise are useful for fine tuning, but not an ideal substitute for an appropriately sized HT.
Old 03-09-16, 11:28 AM
TrackMonkey7

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yup. That head tube is like 8 or 9cm. Waaaay too low.

I guess it makes for a smaller "compact" frame that is stiffer. But, look at what lengths you have to go to make aero bars work. Also, the "low is always better" trend in aero bars is over. Now that aero bar base pads are rising, so should the stack of the frames.
So you're saying Wiggo's set-up is wrong?

I understand that track being such a limited market, there can't really be as much geometry variation as there is in road, but I'm at a loss for finding a frame that fits me well for pursuiting. A lot of [track] bikes these days have very long top tubes - I presume - to stretch people out to get them more aero. Additionally, for road bikes, HTs are getting taller to make that stretched position more comfortable. Pacelining on the road I watch my buddies pass me and their arms are stretched out in front of them; this is pretty en vogue for the way a road bike fits these days and it just makes me think that if we shortened the cockpit up, people might stop complaining about back pain. /rant

Anyway, for me, these long TTs and tall HTs make it especially difficult to find a pursuit bike. On my current 2009 Fuji Track Pro, I need to run a 40mm stem, and extensions under the base bar and I still feel uncomfortable. I've come to the conclusion that I have proportionally long legs. At present, I'm looking at 52cm and even some 49cm frames to get the right reach and stack measurements.

Originally Posted by wens
The under elbow pad spacers are actually faster than pads right on the bar, at least with enough separation in some cases. Besides, I'd rather have base bars low for standing starts so it doesn't feel like I'm trying to do them with my hip angle way too open.
I am sort of an aero nerd and I can see how running pads right on the bars isn't as 'clean' as running with some risers. One can imagine airflow getting bunched up across the surface of the base bar, yet with risers there's more open space for the air to travel.

To be honest for a pursuit bike, I'd rather have a super low HT and subsequently a low base bar and then adjust my fit through risers. Not only would it offer some cleaner airflow, but it adds another fitting variable to tweak things.
Old 03-09-16, 03:42 PM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by TrackMonkey7
So you're saying Wiggo's set-up is wrong?
Yes.

But, I'm looking at it from a mass-start POV.

Originally Posted by TrackMonkey7
I understand that track being such a limited market, there can't really be as much geometry variation as there is in road, but I'm at a loss for finding a frame that fits me well for pursuiting. A lot of [track] bikes these days have very long top tubes - I presume - to stretch people out to get them more aero. Additionally, for road bikes, HTs are getting taller to make that stretched position more comfortable. Pacelining on the road I watch my buddies pass me and their arms are stretched out in front of them; this is pretty en vogue for the way a road bike fits these days and it just makes me think that if we shortened the cockpit up, people might stop complaining about back pain. /rant

Anyway, for me, these long TTs and tall HTs make it especially difficult to find a pursuit bike. On my current 2009 Fuji Track Pro, I need to run a 40mm stem, and extensions under the base bar and I still feel uncomfortable. I've come to the conclusion that I have proportionally long legs. At present, I'm looking at 52cm and even some 49cm frames to get the right reach and stack measurements.

I am sort of an aero nerd and I can see how running pads right on the bars isn't as 'clean' as running with some risers. One can imagine airflow getting bunched up across the surface of the base bar, yet with risers there's more open space for the air to travel.

To be honest for a pursuit bike, I'd rather have a super low HT and subsequently a low base bar and then adjust my fit through risers. Not only would it offer some cleaner airflow, but it adds another fitting variable to tweak things.
Just like there is no one bike for crits and TTs on the road, there probably shouldn't be for track.

How many people ride the same road bike in bunch races and TTs on the road? Why should we do the same on the track?
Old 03-09-16, 04:47 PM
wens

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That lack of cabling makes it a whole lot easier to swap bars, and we're cheap.
Old 03-09-16, 05:31 PM
Dalai

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Contradicting yourself @carleton. On one hand you are saying Wiggins bike is wrong as it isn't suitable for mass start yet say there should not be just the one frame for all track races?
Old 03-09-16, 05:48 PM
TrackMonkey7

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
But, I'm looking at it from a mass-start POV.
My Track Pro with a longish TT fits me like a glove with drops and feels great in the thick of a bunch race, not so much in a pursuit!

Just like there is no one bike for crits and TTs on the road, there probably shouldn't be for track.

How many people ride the same road bike in bunch races and TTs on the road? Why should we do the same on the track?
+1

I do wish that at least the companies who are known to offer good, accessible track frames did this. I say accessible because while the likes of BT, Koga and FES do this, good luck getting one. Planet X offers (offered?) both the Track Pro and the TOR, the latter intended to be more TT-specific. However, because of its even longer TT, I would have had to have gotten a 47cm in order to get acceptable reach.
Old 03-09-16, 08:54 PM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4217 Post(s)
Liked 2,940 Times in 1,800 Posts
Originally Posted by gycho77
That is a cool picture. I thought the rifling was supposed to make it flex less.

Old 03-09-16, 09:03 PM
taras0000
Lapped 3x

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by gycho77
SLX flexes "a lot" because of it's diameter. Steel tubes featured in lugged construction all had to conform to certain external tube diameters to fit into the lugs available. Those diameters are relatively small compared to what is available today in steel, aluminum, or carbon. That's why it seems puny. SLX is a beefed up version of Columbis SL. It's essentially SL "Xtra". It was meant to be a stiffer version of the steel tubes available at the time it was introduced. Back then, it was as stiff as you could get in a lugged frame. What you see in the photo are reinforcing ribs. The reason the tube has that rifling, (the twisted ribs), is because when a bike flexes, it does so because the individual frame tubes twist. If you can align these ribs with the twisting forces, (to put the ribs in either compression or tension), you will best be able to make use of these minimal reinforcements. This is the exact same principle used in orienting carbon fibers within a frame lay-up. Back then, they knew the frame tubes twisted, but they didn't know exactly to what degree, or the force lines, so the twist rate of the rifling in SLX is just a guess as to what would work best.

Last edited by taras0000; 03-09-16 at 09:17 PM.
Old 03-09-16, 09:31 PM
queerpunk
aka mattio

Bikes: yes

Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by Dalai
Contradicting yourself @carleton. On one hand you are saying Wiggins bike is wrong as it isn't suitable for mass start yet say there should not be just the one frame for all track races?
good news everybody! wiggins doesn't race that bike in mass-start races.

he races a cervelo (it's a street fixie )
Old 03-09-16, 10:02 PM
carleton
Elitist

Originally Posted by Dalai
Yeah, I'm confusing 2-3 threads of the conversation.
Old 03-09-16, 10:49 PM
dunderhi

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by taras0000
SLX flexes "a lot" because of it's diameter. Steel tubes featured in lugged construction all had to conform to certain external tube diameters to fit into the lugs available. Those diameters are relatively small compared to what is available today in steel, aluminum, or carbon. That's why it seems puny. SLX is a beefed up version of Columbis SL. It's essentially SL "Xtra". It was meant to be a stiffer version of the steel tubes available at the time it was introduced. Back then, it was as stiff as you could get in a lugged frame. What you see in the photo are reinforcing ribs. The reason the tube has that rifling, (the twisted ribs), is because when a bike flexes, it does so because the individual frame tubes twist. If you can align these ribs with the twisting forces, (to put the ribs in either compression or tension), you will best be able to make use of these minimal reinforcements. This is the exact same principle used in orienting carbon fibers within a frame lay-up. Back then, they knew the frame tubes twisted, but they didn't know exactly to what degree, or the force lines, so the twist rate of the rifling in SLX is just a guess as to what would work best.

Don't forget about Columbus SP. I think that was their stiffest offering. I replaced my 531SL frame with a SP frame and there was a world of difference. Then again, I replaced the SP frame with an early Cannondale which was absurdly stiff.
Old 03-10-16, 03:21 AM
gycho77

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by taras0000
So are you saying that Slx is stiffer than Sl in real life?
I have columbus SL track frame(80's track frame). So I want to know more about my tubing

Last edited by gycho77; 03-10-16 at 08:02 AM.
Old 03-10-16, 07:54 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4217 Post(s)
Liked 2,940 Times in 1,800 Posts
I think there's a new SL that's different from the stuff we had in the 80's. Don't know how it compares or what your track bike is made out of. I just think lugs are pretty.

Old 03-10-16, 07:59 PM
TDinBristol

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dunderhi
Don't forget about Columbus SP. I think that was their stiffest offering. I replaced my 531SL frame with a SP frame and there was a world of difference. Then again, I replaced the SP frame with an early Cannondale which was absurdly stiff.
Some custom makers such as Serotta mixed SP down tubes with SL elsewhere to create a stiffer frame without unnecessary weight penalty where not needed, such as the top tube.
Old 03-10-16, 09:02 PM
taras0000
Lapped 3x

Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 20 Posts
SP was made from the same alloy as SLX, but instead of the .9/.6/.9 wall thickness of SLX, SP had 1.0/.7/1.0 wall thicknesses. SPX also came in longer lengths, as it was designed for larger frames. SP also came out shortly after SLX was introduced.

For anyone curious as to how wall thickness and diameter effect tube stiffness. Wall thickness will increase tube stiffness in a linear fashion. Increase wall thickness 20%, then stiffness increases 20%. Stiffness increases by the cube of diameter. So increasing wall thickness might slightly increase the tube stiffness, doubling the diameter will increase it's stiffness 8X. This is for bending along the tubes linear axis. Torsional resistance of a tube increases by the 4th power of a diameter, so this doubling of diameter on a tube will make it 16X more resistant to twisting forces. It is a the torsional loads that allow the linear flex of a tube on a bicycle.

Last edited by taras0000; 03-10-16 at 09:58 PM.
Old 03-10-16, 11:06 PM
carleton
Elitist

Thanks for explaining the wall thickness.

When I had my first Tiemeyer made, I thought it was interesting that he asked me my weight and estimated max power output. He told me that he would use different tube thicknesses based on that to increase the stiffness when it was appropriate.

So 2 Tiemeyers may look the same on the outside, but the characteristics and weight would be different based on the owners' characteristics. That dude is a modern master.
Old 03-11-16, 06:25 AM
wens

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hmm, I need to draw the fbd. Intuition is telling me that, since you have triangles, if you flex a frame something needs to be in bending. Going to need to put pencil to paper and figure out if I'm missing something.
Old 03-11-16, 09:59 AM
700wheel

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by wens
Hmm, I need to draw the fbd. Intuition is telling me that, since you have triangles, if you flex a frame something needs to be in bending. Going to need to put pencil to paper and figure out if I'm missing something.
In addition to bending some frame sections are in torsion and shear, and often in combination.
Old 03-11-16, 02:43 PM
dunderhi

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
When I was a teen, I really wanted one of these: Rigi

Road Version:

Track Version:
Old 03-13-16, 05:10 PM
Muddlfuc

Bikes: BMC RM01, Focus Izarco, Inexa track, KHS SS MTB

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Took me a few seconds to work out that the seat tube was split... really messed with my mind for a sec.. interesting way of shortening the chain stays

When I was a teen, I really wanted one of these: Rigi

Track Version:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.