Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Clunker 100 Challenge COVID 2.0 edition #7

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Clunker 100 Challenge COVID 2.0 edition #7

Old 05-18-21, 08:50 AM
Unca_Sam
The dropped

Bikes: Pake C'Mute Touring/Commuter Build, 1989 Kona Cinder Cone, 1995 Trek 5200, 1973 Raleigh Super Course FG, 1966 Schwinn Deluxe Racer, 1960/61 Montgomery Ward Hawthorne "thrift" 3 speed, by Hercules

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1597 Post(s)
Liked 892 Times in 614 Posts
Originally Posted by jdawginsc View Post
OK. So after looking back through 200 receipts I have a few questions...
1. Anything extracted from the box of crap is considered free correct? (We don't have to include a pro-rata shipping premium based on the weight and price?)
2. If something was bought as part of a ridonculously cheap lot, do we use market value minus crappiness deduction, or divide the lot by the number of crappy parts we have received...?
3. If we used 1/2 bottle of crappy walmart nail polish to cover rust so we didn't have to see it because we were frustrated that even evaporust has its kryptonite, do we pro-rate the portions of said crappy polish?
4. Do tetanus shots count as part of the budget? Uber rides home?

Just kidding in 3/4, sort of...1/2 are semi-serious questions...
Friendly Costumed Superhero Cost Accountant here to answer your plea for help!

1. Based on my understanding of the Rules and Bylaws of the Box O' Crap, you are strongly encouraged to add parts in exchange for the parts you harvest. This would follow along with the principle of a like-kind exchange, where the value of the parts harvested is equal to the cost of the parts you put in. Undoubtedly, the parts you placed in had a cost to you, but do you have those receipts?
2. Purchasing assets in a lot would still require that you allocate the purchase price per item (or class of items). The good news is that the allocation is up to you so long as it's reasonable.
3. For your example of nail polish, the conservative thing to do would be to allocate the entire cost of thepurchase to the project, unless there's a likelihood that the polish will be used for another project before becoming unusable. Evaporust, naval jelly, and vinegar are examples where the initial outlay has a cost, but the item has a useful life past the project.
4. Capitalizing workforce benefits into the cost of inventory is a generally accepted accounting principle, so yeah, you could include the cost of the tetanus booster. However, a tetanus booster is only needed every 10 years, so you would only include a 10th of the cost for this year, divided by however many bike projects you work this year. I'm willing to say that the amortized cost of the shot is likely de-minimus and will not materially affect the cost of your clunker. Your uber ride is a simple no, because it has no bearing on keeping the bike running.
Likes For Unca_Sam:
Old 05-18-21, 10:10 AM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1133 Post(s)
Quoted: 3864 Post(s)
Liked 3,050 Times in 1,380 Posts
Originally Posted by Unca_Sam View Post
Friendly Costumed Superhero Cost Accountant here to answer your plea for help!

1. Based on my understanding of the Rules and Bylaws of the Box O' Crap, you are strongly encouraged to add parts in exchange for the parts you harvest. This would follow along with the principle of a like-kind exchange, where the value of the parts harvested is equal to the cost of the parts you put in. Undoubtedly, the parts you placed in had a cost to you, but do you have those receipts?
2. Purchasing assets in a lot would still require that you allocate the purchase price per item (or class of items). The good news is that the allocation is up to you so long as it's reasonable.
3. For your example of nail polish, the conservative thing to do would be to allocate the entire cost of thepurchase to the project, unless there's a likelihood that the polish will be used for another project before becoming unusable. Evaporust, naval jelly, and vinegar are examples where the initial outlay has a cost, but the item has a useful life past the project.
4. Capitalizing workforce benefits into the cost of inventory is a generally accepted accounting principle, so yeah, you could include the cost of the tetanus booster. However, a tetanus booster is only needed every 10 years, so you would only include a 10th of the cost for this year, divided by however many bike projects you work this year. I'm willing to say that the amortized cost of the shot is likely de-minimus and will not materially affect the cost of your clunker. Your uber ride is a simple no, because it has no bearing on keeping the bike running.
Might need to consult with you on taxes someday...
Old 05-18-21, 11:27 AM
tyler_fred

Bikes: American, Italian, and Japanese.. in no particular order.

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 349 Post(s)
Liked 265 Times in 126 Posts
Hey Narhay Unca_Sam
Iíd like to know why this isnít the Clunker 104.2 Challenge to allow for inflation?

Glad to know Iím not working on a bamboo bike..
Have you seen the price of wood these days?!?!
Old 05-18-21, 11:35 AM
BFisher 

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 685 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 754 Posts
Alright! First ride in on the Rampar Clunker today. It was a down the river and back with a mix of road and MUP. The bike actually wasn't terrible. I did speak too soon earlier when I said the saddle wasn't bad, though. A bit of mileage showed me that it is too narrow for me, but a challenge is a challenge and I've ridden worse. The ride totaled 37.8 kilometers.
From the cockpit:

The sun is out in force today, so I grabbed some shade for a quick pic:

And a mileage verification shot:
Old 05-18-21, 11:53 AM
ollo_ollo

Bikes: Still have a few left!

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 415 Post(s)
Liked 246 Times in 145 Posts
Also found this listing on e-Bay: 70s Follis 072GL 12 Speed French Road Bike | eBay Everything except red color matches my bike, so Follis 072 GL it is. Seller was asking $209.99, but accepted best offer.
Old 05-18-21, 11:58 AM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 439 Post(s)
Quoted: 2562 Post(s)
Liked 1,779 Times in 767 Posts
Originally Posted by jdawginsc View Post
OK. So after looking back through 200 receipts I have a few questions...
1. Anything extracted from the box of crap is considered free correct? (We don't have to include a pro-rata shipping premium based on the weight and price?)
2. If something was bought as part of a ridonculously cheap lot, do we use market value minus crappiness deduction, or divide the lot by the number of crappy parts we have received...?
3. If we used 1/2 bottle of crappy walmart nail polish to cover rust so we didn't have to see it because we were frustrated that even evaporust has its kryptonite, do we pro-rate the portions of said crappy polish?
4. Do tetanus shots count as part of the budget? Uber rides home?

Just kidding in 3/4, sort of...1/2 are semi-serious questions...
I think the answers to these questions depend on how heavily you bribe the judge. With insufficient tribute, you may find yourself relegated and stripped of any honor and glory you would have attained. Certainly, you will not be eligible for any cash prizes. (This last part is OK, since there are no cash prizes.)

My approach in the past has been to apply a secret formula that calculates the strictness of my adherence to the rules as a product of how close I am to going over budget. With $50 left if the budget, I'll count the 34 cents I paid for dropout screws. With $2 left in the budget, I might arbitrarily decide that a set of used tires are worth $2. With nothing left in the budget, I might try to argue that paint is a cleaning supply.

At the end of the day, it's kind of like the rules for Eroica. If you ask, the rules are strictly applied (or not, depending on @Narhay's whim). If you don't ask, you can probably get away with gluing toe clips onto your shoes and riding with clipless pedals -- it's been done. Ultimately, I think the rules are there for your enjoyment.
Old 05-18-21, 02:19 PM
jdawginsc 
Edumacator

Bikes: '87 Crestdale, '87 Basso Gap, '92 Rossin Performance EL-OS, 1990 VanTuyl, 1980s Losa, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 1987 PX10, etc...

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1297 Post(s)
Liked 1,168 Times in 823 Posts
Originally Posted by Andy_K View Post
I think the answers to these questions depend on how heavily you bribe the judge. With insufficient tribute, you may find yourself relegated and stripped of any honor and glory you would have attained. Certainly, you will not be eligible for any cash prizes. (This last part is OK, since there are no cash prizes.)

My approach in the past has been to apply a secret formula that calculates the strictness of my adherence to the rules as a product of how close I am to going over budget. With $50 left if the budget, I'll count the 34 cents I paid for dropout screws. With $2 left in the budget, I might arbitrarily decide that a set of used tires are worth $2. With nothing left in the budget, I might try to argue that paint is a cleaning supply.

At the end of the day, it's kind of like the rules for Eroica. If you ask, the rules are strictly applied (or not, depending on @Narhay's whim). If you don't ask, you can probably get away with gluing toe clips onto your shoes and riding with clipless pedals -- it's been done. Ultimately, I think the rules are there for your enjoyment.
I like your thinking other than the bribe...I prefer flattery.

unca Samís accounting above is awesome in principle but my concern is that I wonít be able to cheat sufficiently enough.

i think I have a plan though...
1. Change the saddle because I cannot ride in a circle with a bent saddle.
2. Change the tires because dry rot is not cool, and my projects still need to complete with me alive.
3. Reuse a few cable housings and cables though I got them for $1 cable from China new.
4. Any extra housing will come from the 3 m clearance item from CRC several months ago.
5. The pedals I am not sure how to handle that one. I might to find that lot receipt...or cheat and say somebody gave them to me...oops just outed myself...

I am wondering if I will lose points because I removed the ubiquitous cat eye computer. Might put it back on non operationally for the authentic look.

i am glad that an Uber does not count...
1987 Crest Cannondale, 1987 Basso Gap, 1992 Rossin Performance EL, 1990ish Van Tuyl, 1980s Vanni Losa Cassani thingy, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 2003 Pinarello Surprise, 1990ish MBK Atlantique, 1987 Peugeot Competition, 1987 Nishiki Tri-A, 1981? Faggin, Cannondale M500, etc...Need to do an N -1...

Likes For jdawginsc:
Old 05-18-21, 02:23 PM
jdawginsc 
Edumacator

Bikes: '87 Crestdale, '87 Basso Gap, '92 Rossin Performance EL-OS, 1990 VanTuyl, 1980s Losa, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 1987 PX10, etc...

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1297 Post(s)
Liked 1,168 Times in 823 Posts
Originally Posted by gugie View Post
Might need to consult with you on taxes someday...

I donít know, I am looking at having to claim a $108 bicycle for a $100 challenge with that math...crap...I might have to ride without pedals and saddle...doable but not preferable.

but I defer to the expert since they agreed to the Uber as a non declarable outlay...
1987 Crest Cannondale, 1987 Basso Gap, 1992 Rossin Performance EL, 1990ish Van Tuyl, 1980s Vanni Losa Cassani thingy, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 2003 Pinarello Surprise, 1990ish MBK Atlantique, 1987 Peugeot Competition, 1987 Nishiki Tri-A, 1981? Faggin, Cannondale M500, etc...Need to do an N -1...

Old 05-18-21, 03:31 PM
ollo_ollo

Pics of my Follis before the Big Cleanup begins..

Ratty Tape & Hoods

Simplex Bar-Cons

Stronglight 49 Crank, Lyotard Pedal

1990 SunTour Blaze Derailleur

Nisi Alloy Rims with Enhanced Braking Surface

Decals mostly there

Mafac "Racer" Brakes & Levers
Likes For ollo_ollo:
Old 05-18-21, 03:50 PM
Andy_K 

Originally Posted by ollo_ollo View Post
Also putting up pics of the Super Course I got for $140 yesterday because we all like pics! Were it not for the attractive (Iris, Tris, Fris??) leather saddle and Soubitez Bottle generator set keeping the price up, she could have been a Clunker Contender, but will get a refurb anyway. Don
Find some to give you $40 and a worthless saddle in exchange for that Iris, then you can enter the Super Course and claim the +3 point Raleigh bonus.

Those are two fine looking bikes. Would you be interested in joining us for the Beaverton-Vernonia metric century? If the number of participants gets above three or four, we might need to start checking vaccination papers, but it's all outdoors so I think we can make it a CDC-compliant event.
Old 05-18-21, 04:32 PM
ollo_ollo

Andy, I am interested but depends on when it takes place. Later is better for me. Having some neck pain issues currently (although improving), so I didn't ride much while in Florida. Back now and trying to deal with all the landscape carnage left from the ice storm back in in February. We left for Florida just a couple days after the storm, so lots of clean up to do and trying not to aggravate my neck/spinal problem. Later would be better. As to CV19, we both had the virus back in November, it delayed our wedding by 6 weeks. I had a few really bad days midway as the disease ran its course, but turned the corner, recovered and look forward to a nice Summer. Put me down as a definite maybe. Don
Likes For ollo_ollo:
Old 05-18-21, 04:47 PM
ollo_ollo

Oh Great and Sovereign @Narhay, Andy's idea has inspired me: May I hereby request a special, "Old Age" dispensation to do a $40 "buy" of the Iris saddle, put it on another bike, replace it with 1 of several I got free, literally, from a dumpster? I will just point out this will increase the number of Raleigh Clunkers by 1. Don
Old 05-18-21, 05:47 PM
Andy_K 

Andy, I am interested but depends on when it takes place. Later is better for me. Having some neck pain issues currently (although improving), so I didn't ride much while in Florida. Back now and trying to deal with all the landscape carnage left from the ice storm back in in February. We left for Florida just a couple days after the storm, so lots of clean up to do and trying not to aggravate my neck/spinal problem. Later would be better. As to CV19, we both had the virus back in November, it delayed our wedding by 6 weeks. I had a few really bad days midway as the disease ran its course, but turned the corner, recovered and look forward to a nice Summer. Put me down as a definite maybe. Don
Glad to hear you both got through OK and congrats on the wedding!

I honestly haven't even thought about a date for the ride yet. As long as you can handle the climb from Banks to Vernonia, you could arguably join the group in either Hillsboro or Banks and put the rest of the Clunker miles in another day. Either way, I'll keep you in the loop and hope you can make it.
Old 05-18-21, 06:01 PM
Andy_K 

Today was paint day for the Takara, and if you think I've been overly enthusiastic about the project up to this point, you ain't seen nothin' yet!

There's a scene in "As Good As It Gets" where Helen Hunt has asked Jack Nicholson to pay her a compliment. He does and she says it may have been the best compliment of her life. Jack responds, "Well, maybe I overshot a little because I was aiming at just enough to keep you from walking out." That's kind of how I feel about this paint job right now. I wanted to make the bike look decent again, but I find myself looking at it and thinking, "Holy Crap!"

I'm going to have to take some close up pics of all the flaws to show to my wife the next time I need to explain to her why I'm paying someone $750 to paint a bike for me instead of using a $5 can of Rust-Oleum.
Old 05-18-21, 06:16 PM
Narhay

Mentioned: 116 Post(s)
Quoted: 936 Post(s)
Liked 498 Times in 285 Posts
Originally Posted by tyler_fred View Post
Hey Narhay Unca_Sam
Iíd like to know why this isnít the Clunker 104.2 Challenge to allow for inflation?

Glad to know Iím not working on a bamboo bike..
Have you seen the price of wood these days?!?!
The Clunker 105.3, no wait, the Clunker 108.2...

I thought inflation was a steady 2% as long as you don't count housing, food or fuel.

Oh Great and Sovereign @Narhay, Andy's idea has inspired me: May I hereby request a special, "Old Age" dispensation to do a $40 "buy" of the Iris saddle, put it on another bike, replace it with 1 of several I got free, literally, from a dumpster? I will just point out this will increase the number of Raleigh Clunkers by 1. Don
Yes, by virtue of the more Raleigh clause.
Old 05-18-21, 07:11 PM
ollo_ollo

The great one has smiled upon me and I will comply! Don
Old 05-18-21, 07:21 PM
ollo_ollo

That blue tarp was a nice touch Andy.
Likes For ollo_ollo:
Old 05-19-21, 04:11 PM
rgvg
Car free since 2018

Bikes: Mostly japanese ones

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 57 Posts
Done with my 100kms.

For the educational portion for this year,
I learned you can use threaded brake pads when it should be non threaded.
I don't think that's recommended though. It was just what was on the bike when I got it.

And I learned there is such a thing as plastic safe grease, which I didn't have so I ended up
using a thumb shifter after I had washed the grip shifter and had no plastic safe grease.

Pier on the Fraser river at the River District. The logs in the river are the product of the BC
forestry industry, still a significant contributor to the economy, though there have been a lot
of mill closures over the last few years. This area has had a lot of condo developments lately.

Everett Crowley park used to be a landfill. It's named after the owner of Avalon dairy, which was
the last urban dairy in Vancouver. It was only in the last few year they've moved out, though I still
see their products for sale in the local groceries, in glass bottles, which seems like a nice touch.
It is partway up the steepest bike path in Vancouver.

Likes For rgvg:
Old 05-19-21, 04:30 PM
Narhay

Mentioned: 116 Post(s)
Quoted: 936 Post(s)
Liked 498 Times in 285 Posts
Originally Posted by rgvg View Post
Done with my 100kms.

For the educational portion for this year,
I learned you can use threaded brake pads when it should be non threaded.
I don't think that's recommended though. It was just what was on the bike when I got it.

And I learned there is such a thing as plastic safe grease, which I didn't have so I ended up
using a thumb shifter after I had washed the grip shifter and had no plastic safe grease.

Pier on the Fraser river at the River District. The logs in the river are the product of the BC
forestry industry, still a significant contributor to the economy, though there have been a lot
of mill closures over the last few years. This area has had a lot of condo developments lately.

Everett Crowley park used to be a landfill. It's named after the owner of Avalon dairy, which was
the last urban dairy in Vancouver. It was only in the last few year they've moved out, though I still
see their products for sale in the local groceries, in glass bottles, which seems like a nice touch.
It is partway up the steepest bike path in Vancouver.

Very cool. Not too far from my old haunt near Edmonds skytrain station.
Old 05-19-21, 05:12 PM
Andy_K 

Originally Posted by rgvg View Post
Done with my 100kms.
First across the finish line? Or did I miss someone earlier? Either way, nice job! Plenty of time left for a couple more builds.
Old 05-19-21, 06:03 PM
rustystrings61 

Bikes: 2002 Mercian Vincitore, 1982 Mercian Colorado, 1976 Puch Royal X, 1974 Allegro No. 76, 1973 Raleigh Competition, 1973 Raleigh GS, 1971 Gitane Tour de France and others

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 842 Times in 452 Posts
I told myself that life is too full and complex right now. There are too many major situations in my life that require my prompt attention, and my full attention to detail. This year, I thought, I would sit it out and enjoy the Challenge vicariously. I kept looking at the cheap Micargi fixed-gear for $35 on Facebook Marketplace and saying, no, not this year.

Then I decided to offload a bunch of junkers clogging up my workshop by taking them to the LBS. And then the owner walked me upstairs and I saw it, in my size.

Damn. My size. And by trading off a too-big mountain bike and a too-tall hybrid with a total of $60 invested (plus a dumpster found ladies mtb) I had my Clunker Challenge bike for the year. So, yeah, I'm in.

At first glance it's a Frankenbike - old Shimano 600 shifters, Dia-Compe sidepulls with one broken wheelguide, a SunTour front and I can't see who made the rear derailleur. The rear wheel is a cassette unit without markings on either the hub or the rim, while the front is a low-flange Normandy Luxe Competition laced to what appears to be either a Mavic or a Rigida rim. The black tape that was around the seatpost was an attempt to prevent moisture getting in past the flutes - and I suspect it was a locking the barn door after the horse was stolen deal, as the seatpost is currently stuck.

But I looked closer and realized it's an old touring model, complete with what looks like a combo centerpull hanger stop/rack mounts fitting on the seat stays and eyelets fore and aft. It's actually my correct size, it has a 110/74 Sugino crankset that lacks only a little ring and some bolts to be a triple again ... and then the really freaky thing happened, I located the serial number, which if I am reading it right, indicates that it is a 23-in frame that was the 059th one built ... on May 19, 1986. And I got it today on its birthday.

So - I've never worked with an aluminum frame before. How do I free a stuck seatpost when it's an alloy SR LaPrade in a Cannondale frame? Any clues?

Oh, yeah - I also got this nice Avocet saddle thrown in with the deal. That might come in handy!

And finally, after hosing it off and giving it a quick wipedown and straightening the handlebars and removing the tape -

Last edited by rustystrings61; 05-20-21 at 06:33 AM.
Likes For rustystrings61:
Old 05-19-21, 07:46 PM
curbtender

Bikes: Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Schwinn Speedster, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, MB3

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1151 Post(s)
Liked 987 Times in 593 Posts
Originally Posted by rustystrings61 View Post
I told myself that life is too full and complex right now.

So - I've never worked with an aluminum frame before. How do I free a stuck seatpost when it's an alloy SR LaPrade in a Cannondale frame? Any clues?

Try some vinegar for a few hours than spray some penetrating fluid in. You can get a large crescent wrench on there for a little leverage.
Old 05-19-21, 08:01 PM
Dylansbob 
2k miles from the midwest

Bikes: ~'75 Colin Laing, '80s Schwinn SuperSport 650b, ex-Backroads ti project...

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 402 Post(s)
Liked 645 Times in 315 Posts
After spraying it down, take the guts off the seatpost and clamp the head into a bench vise, then turn the frame. If it's coming out, that's going to be how.
Old 05-19-21, 08:06 PM
rgvg
Car free since 2018

Bikes: Mostly japanese ones

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 57 Posts
Originally Posted by Andy_K View Post
First across the finish line? Or did I miss someone earlier? Either way, nice job! Plenty of time left for a couple more builds.
To be honest I wanted the 100kms quick so I can swap out the saddle. It's a bit of a pain in my butt. But I'm keeping my eyes peeled for a frame I could match up with the crashed bike I have in storage.
Likes For rgvg:
Old 05-20-21, 10:18 AM
hazetguy 
PutABitOfPaperOnThem

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quoted: 1422 Post(s)
Liked 1,473 Times in 763 Posts
After setting up/calibrating the Vetta computer, adjusting the seat height and stem orientation, I took I PLEAD THE FILTH on its initial test run today. Didn't have much time, and didn't want to get too far from home in case there were any insurmountable problems en route. When I got home, the computer said 2.2 miles. I tracked it on Strava, which said 2.21 miles, so I feel like the Vetta will be an accurate mileage keeper.
A couple issues showed up: There is a stiff link in the chain, which caused a steady "click", and possibly contributed to the skipping I encountered. I came home, found the stiff link, gave it some lube and wiggling with pliers, now it is freed up. No, I did not lube the rest of the chain, this is an "as found" entry (as much as possible anyway).
The front derailleur low limiting screw needed about a half turn out, as there was chain rub in the small ring/low cog combo. I used a flathead screwdriver to make the adjustment, as I did not want to remove too much dirt from the screw head. Filth, it's all about the filth on this one!

Last edited by hazetguy; 05-20-21 at 08:45 PM.
Likes For hazetguy:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.