Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Clunker 100 Challenge COVID 2.0 edition #7

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Clunker 100 Challenge COVID 2.0 edition #7

Old 05-27-21, 04:57 PM
hazetguy 
PutABitOfPaperOnThem

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1422 Post(s)
Liked 1,477 Times in 764 Posts
I figured that regardless of the decision about my financial deferment request (post number 313) from our highest and most gracious leader Narhay , my kids would probably appreciate their dad having all his teeth and no broken bones (or worse), so I went ahead and swapped out the dry rotting and falling apart GrandSports, for nicer tires that were not falling apart: an UltraSport 25mm (rear) and a GP4000SII 23mm (front), along with used tubes. I am suspecting this will cushion the ride a bit as well, which will be nice. It was kinda brutal with those 20mm tires. I've recalibrated the Vetta for the new tire size, so there is no turning back now.

Notice the nice, clean sheet before removing the first tire:

Chunks, scraps, and dusty tire bits, and please remember this is the second time this tire has been off today. There were more similar tire pieces that came off when I was changing the flat!

Wire bead able to be seen through the tire casing threads:

Lots of tire pieces that would not normally come off:

The wire bead was visible clearly around most of the tires, on each side:

They have met their ultimate fate:

Neused tires have been installed (notice the white dot pricing marks):

I Plead The Filth, ready for the next ride, leaning against a clunker/junker lawn tractor:
Old 05-27-21, 05:26 PM
jdawginsc 
Edumacator

Bikes: '87 Crestdale, '87 Basso Gap, '92 Rossin Performance EL-OS, 1990 VanTuyl, 1980s Losa, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 1987 PX10, etc...

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1298 Post(s)
Liked 1,168 Times in 823 Posts
Originally Posted by hazetguy View Post
I figured that regardless of the decision about my financial deferment request (post number 313) from our highest and most gracious leader Narhay , my kids would probably appreciate their dad having all his teeth and no broken bones (or worse), so I went ahead and swapped out the dry rotting and falling apart GrandSports, for nicer tires that were not falling apart: an UltraSport 25mm (rear) and a GP4000SII 23mm (front), along with used tubes.
prudent move...
1987 Crest Cannondale, 1987 Basso Gap, 1992 Rossin Performance EL, 1990ish Van Tuyl, 1980s Vanni Losa Cassani thingy, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 2003 Pinarello Surprise, 1990ish MBK Atlantique, 1987 Peugeot Competition, 1987 Nishiki Tri-A, 1981? Faggin, Cannondale M500, etc...Need to do an N -1...

Old 05-27-21, 05:31 PM
jdawginsc 
Edumacator

Bikes: '87 Crestdale, '87 Basso Gap, '92 Rossin Performance EL-OS, 1990 VanTuyl, 1980s Losa, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 1987 PX10, etc...

it wasnt algae...it was dark mint green paint...

I might be stuffing some pine needles in the cracks of the Kenda kismet tires...

Originally Posted by Mr. 66 View Post
The KHS is gone, sniffle sniffle, but won't be forgotten. I will be able to salvage very happily from the anchor of remaining parts. Already paying off the chain from the junker is on my now finished slightly upgraded Peugeot PR10-L

This bike was proudly sporting a wonderful coating of alge and pine needles upon purchase. The original tubular Maillard on Mavic wheelset has been swapped for Miche Competition on Mavic Module 3 rims. The Simplex is all original, the front surprisingly is not broken, both the front and rear derailleurs have been slobbed with grease. I'm hoping the grease will soak in the plastic and keep the front derailleur from cracking on the re-install. Normally I don't remove Simplex if it there the stuff is so brittle this time though the front derailleur is rusted stuck innards. I do think I can salvage the Simplex, I got the cage budge a mm. Pictured are the original Lyotard pedals, they still have mold, original plastic body brake levers, original bartape, and original brake cables. The original seatpost and saddle were not of my cosmetic standards? If I ever had any. The original gear cables where rusted up have been replaced.

This Peugeot required a bb removal along with a chase and face from the local shop, shout out for Wright Bros. in Seattle for their service.
1987 Crest Cannondale, 1987 Basso Gap, 1992 Rossin Performance EL, 1990ish Van Tuyl, 1980s Vanni Losa Cassani thingy, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 2003 Pinarello Surprise, 1990ish MBK Atlantique, 1987 Peugeot Competition, 1987 Nishiki Tri-A, 1981? Faggin, Cannondale M500, etc...Need to do an N -1...

Old 05-28-21, 01:38 AM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 439 Post(s)
Quoted: 2563 Post(s)
Liked 1,779 Times in 767 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. 66 View Post
The KHS is gone, sniffle sniffle, but won't be forgotten. I will be able to salvage very happily from the anchor of remaining parts. Already paying off the chain from the junker is on my now finished slightly upgraded Peugeot PR10-L
You know, when I threw my hat in the ring this time around I thought maybe the Takara was too nice for this competition, but between this and @ollo_ollo's Follis, I feel like I need to find a way to up my game a bit.
Old 05-28-21, 04:26 AM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 259 Post(s)
Quoted: 1869 Post(s)
Liked 2,493 Times in 1,110 Posts
Originally Posted by tyler_fred View Post
Best wishes to Mrs NF for a speedy recovery.
Thank you! Things seem to be moving in the right direction, so hopefully she'll be able to ride the bike before the deadline.

Old 05-28-21, 04:39 AM
jdawginsc 
Edumacator

Originally Posted by non-fixie View Post
Thank you! Things seem to be moving in the right direction, so hopefully she'll be able to ride the bike before the deadline.
Health first, Clunker second! Best wishes to Ms. Non-fixie

Likes For jdawginsc:
Old 05-28-21, 10:32 AM
BFisher 

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 685 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 754 Posts
Took the Rampar Giro out for 6 kilometers today. I had another post office run before this ride, so my total is now 49 kilometers. Along the way I was cheered on by the locals.

Nice to have support. Also nice that the boundaries are clearly marked.

That much closer to the goal!
Likes For BFisher:
Old 05-28-21, 12:08 PM
hazetguy 
PutABitOfPaperOnThem

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quoted: 1422 Post(s)
Liked 1,477 Times in 764 Posts
I'll be thinking good thoughts for Ms. Non-Fixie. Back pain can really suck.

I was able to get in a ride on I Plead The Filth (v1.1) today, despite the forecasts for rain and thunderstorms. The replacement tires are a noticeable improvement. Much more enjoyable ride (comfy), didn't feel every bump that was taller than the width of a human hair, and I rolled through sticks, small rocks, and over small bumps with a lot less fear.
What I did notice upon returning home is that that Vetta calculated the mileage about .2mi / .3km fewer than Strava did, so it looks like I'll need to measure the actual tire circumference to calibrate it correctly. Initially I used the chart on Sheldon's site, but .2 miles over 14 is off a bit too much for me to let go. However, since I am using the Vetta for mileage during The Challenge, I will accept the "loss" of .2mi / .3km today.
Today's mileage (per Vetta) 14mi / 22.5km
Cumulative thus far: 30.2mi / 48.6km

Pic from the same general location as yesterday, but a bit faster and not nearly as scared to run over anything taller than an ant:

At the half way point where I had hoped to get to yesterday. There was a light sprinkle in the air from the storm clouds. It felt nice and refreshing.

Taking a break along the French Broad river, in the Hominy Creek River park / French Broad River Greenway.

Mileage upon returning home:
Likes For hazetguy:
Old 05-28-21, 12:40 PM
rustystrings61 

Bikes: 2002 Mercian Vincitore, 1982 Mercian Colorado, 1976 Puch Royal X, 1974 Allegro No. 76, 1973 Raleigh Competition, 1973 Raleigh GS, 1971 Gitane Tour de France and others

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 843 Times in 452 Posts
No pix right now, but a busy morning so far. I mounted the cranks and was pleased to find a smooth running but slop-free setting for the bottom bracket. Then I thought I would go ahead and swap over the bar end shifters I had gotten as freebies. The first odd moment was realizing that the brake levers were mismatched. How had I not seen this? The left was a nice old Dia-Compe aero, the left a Shimano aero unit of some sort or another. Both were clad in ill-fitting Shimano black hoods. I looked at the bent handlebars from which I was about to remove bar end shifters, saw the nice matching Dia-Compe aero levers with brown hoods and went to work. A quick spritz of some Armor All on the crusty hoods and they were useable again. Then I got to fiddle with brake cables and housings, as well as adjust positions of things. I used the cables and housings that came with the Cannondale, and eventually got it all sorted out.

Initially I was very happy with the Shimano bar ends. These are the 70s variant with the big spring, and I can see how they could be very nice. I set them up and was initially very pleased, as it looked like I could use the existing housings and cables - both also free - and get them all to work. Alas, no - the housings and the cables themselves are just too short to be wrapped all the way under the stem. Maybe if I routed them like 70s bar con cables, where they emerged from under the bar tape at the level of the brake hoods, but that will probably look a bit stupid with aero brake cable routing. I will dig in the bins and see if I can enough scavenged scraps to make this work. If not, I have a set of Shimano Light Action shifters that came on last year's essentially free donor bike, and I suspect I could pull them from their stem clamp and affix them to the shift bosses. We'll see.

Finally, I swung back by the LBS and made a straight trade of the heavy hybrid-styled 135 mm spaced rear wheel that came with the bike for a vintage 700C wheel combining what appears to be a SunTour sealed bearing hub with an Araya rim. Much better, and it even looks like it's preset to 130 mm OLD. I wasn't looking forward to repacking and respacing and re-dishing that heavy wheel. Now to prowl my parts bin for a suitable 6- or 7-speed freewheel and a rear skewer.
Old 05-28-21, 02:40 PM
Insidious C. 
Crash Test Dummy

Bikes: One of everything and three of everything French

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 373 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 126 Posts
clunker reset!

Picked up another freebee yesterday. It was a nice bike at one time. As best I can tell it's a 81 Lotus Odyssey. It lacks the cantilever brakes of later model years and has a Sequoia vibe to it. It had obviously been sitting quite a while, but neither the stem or seatpost are stuck. There is, however, a long list of other tasks required to make this bike road worthy again. It that regard it is better suited to the clunker challenge. The annulled 1977 Raleigh Record LTD clunker, with it's freshly straightened rear derailleur, is headed to goodwill ahead of schedule.

Old 05-29-21, 05:44 AM
darnet

Bikes: 4 Raleigh's (1 International, 3 Super Course), 2 Miyata (610, Alumicross), one each Bianchi Eros, Fuji Cross Pro, Lotus Excelle, Paramount Series 7 Carbon,Specialized Sirrus Comp, Trek something mountain bike, Univega Super Strada, Wheeler Tremosinep

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 5 Posts
After adjusting handlebar position and tightening front wheel quick-release skewer, I took Green Super Course out again for a 2nd ride) to same location as 1st ride. Wheel twitchiness gone. Not that it matters, but, by my calculations, the head tube angle with the 700c front wheel and 27" rear is about 1/2 degree steeper than stock.
Old 05-29-21, 06:00 AM
darnet

Bikes: 4 Raleigh's (1 International, 3 Super Course), 2 Miyata (610, Alumicross), one each Bianchi Eros, Fuji Cross Pro, Lotus Excelle, Paramount Series 7 Carbon,Specialized Sirrus Comp, Trek something mountain bike, Univega Super Strada, Wheeler Tremosinep

Posting non-sequentially, but need to go backwards and describe the rebuild of the Green Super Course, when I get to 10 posts I'll come back and add pics.

Initial disassembly of Green Super Course found the obligatory stuck seat post and handlebar stem. Ill have to clean up the rust. Due to my bad judgement (tossed horrible non-original), I need a seat. Fortunately, I rescued a wheel-less black Fuji, possibly a Royale (no decals, only a head-badge, serial number says 1980), with a suitably torn saddle, so I will be using that, and some other parts (after assigning market value).

I plan to use the mismatched wheels and tires that came with Green Super Course to preserve the budget, they seem to spin nicely.

The steerer tube threads were a bit of a concern. For some reason they are worn flat at the top, near the locknut. It looks like the center-pull brake bracket wore down the threads where I imagine there was once a key-way. Luckily the threads are still good enough to re-install the bearing cup and locknut. I put a file to the bracket, so while though it is not now keyed to the fork, it will slide onto the steerer without binding.
Handlebar tape is torn on right side handlebar flat. Ill have to use some black electrical tape to reattach together.
Upon close examination, both pulleys on the rear Simplex derailleur are ground and crumbled. I am replacing (have replaced) it with the generic Shimano from the Fuji. Might as well install the front from the Fuji as well.

Last edited by darnet; 06-03-21 at 05:51 PM. Reason: add pics
Old 05-29-21, 06:49 AM
darnet

COVID Bike Fleet Story:
I’m almost ashamed to admit that I’ve acquired six (or seven) bikes since early March, 2020. My wife and I went out for breakfast (for the last time until 2021) on March 8, 2020, in a place on the Milford NH Oval. There was an antique shop across the oval, so we dropped in. In the basement I saw a Lotus Excelle in my size. I took some pictures, started reading about that model, and became more interested. I started looking on Craigslist etc to get an idea of what it might actually be worth (even though it was only $75) before I could decide to go back and buy it.

Now, I was hooked on browsing CL (and FB Market). While browsing for Excelles, I saw an interesting listing for a vintage Raleigh. But the listing did not name the model, or even show any decals, it just showed obscure details of the bike, like the fork, lugs, components, seat, color, etc. I had always wanted a vintage Raleigh International from the 70’s, but they had become too collectible for my budget. To me this looked like one. The last day I ever worked in my office, March 11, 2020, I met the guy to look at the bike, and it was, as I suspected, a Raleigh International. It seemed all original (maybe not tires or handlebar tape), a little beat up, and he was asking $155, said he didn’t want to sell it some kid that would turn it into a “fixie.” I had decided if it was an International, I wouldn’t haggle. I have ridden that numerous times, and the Excelle once (yes I bought the Excelle too, the day before all stores closed).

So that was two coronavirus bikes. A Raleigh Super Course was the third.... a CL listing for a frame and fork (with wheels, brakes, and seat), $80. It was the twin or my first road bike, same coffee color and same lugs (Capella). I picked that one up wearing a mask and gloves, alcohol sprayer in hand. Next month or so, another coffee Super Course appeared, completely original, Nervex lugs, $100. I didn't "need" it, why I bought it I don't know.

Fast forward to 2021, when I picked up a "Wheeler Tremosine" very locally for $25. It was posted as "Wheeler Road Bike" and since I live on a Wheeler Road, it was a must. Finally, I found a CL ad for my Clunker Ride bike, a Green Raleigh Super Course, $45. I watched it go unsold for weeks, and finally traveled the hour or so to buy it.

The "Wheeler" Road bike was in far too good condition to qualify as a Clunker, regardless of low price. The International and the 2nd Super Course were above or at the $$ limit, and the 1st Super Course was already built with numerous upgrades. So it was between the Excelle and the Green Super Course. I had to go with the Green Super Course, because it needed TLC, and more importantly it signified the end of COVID.
Old 05-29-21, 07:51 AM
jdawginsc 
Edumacator

So in a stroke of luck, I seem to have found two 700c Gatorskins among the cluster of stuff I bought from Dominos pizza for $75 (5 Pure fix fixie frames, 10 aero flip flop wheels, 14 tires, 5 racks for pizza and handlebars, stems, etc)...

What is the valuation from the crowd for the wheels and any saddle I might use?

Old 05-29-21, 08:52 AM
curbtender

Bikes: Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Schwinn Speedster, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, MB3

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1151 Post(s)
Liked 987 Times in 593 Posts
Originally Posted by jdawginsc View Post
So in a stroke of luck, I seem to have found two 700c Gatorskins among the cluster of stuff I bought from Dominos pizza for $75 (5 Pure fix fixie frames, 10 aero flip flop wheels, 14 tires, 5 racks for pizza and handlebars, stems, etc)...

What is the valuation from the crowd for the wheels and any saddle I might use?
Well, I think if it takes more than 30 minutes to put it on then it's free...
Likes For curbtender:
Old 05-29-21, 08:54 AM
rustystrings61 

Bikes: 2002 Mercian Vincitore, 1982 Mercian Colorado, 1976 Puch Royal X, 1974 Allegro No. 76, 1973 Raleigh Competition, 1973 Raleigh GS, 1971 Gitane Tour de France and others

Originally Posted by curbtender View Post
And curbtender wins the thread for the day!
Old 05-29-21, 08:57 AM
jdawginsc 
Edumacator

Originally Posted by curbtender View Post
Haha!! Winner!

THere are definitely some things living in the tires that would make good specialty toppings...

Last edited by jdawginsc; 05-29-21 at 09:04 AM.
Old 05-29-21, 11:25 AM
jdawginsc 
Edumacator

what model watch is that? I need something cheapish that can keep mileage.

Originally Posted by BFisher View Post
Took the Rampar Giro out for 6 kilometers today. I had another post office run before this ride, so my total is now 49 kilometers. That much closer to the goal!

Old 05-29-21, 11:33 AM
BFisher 

what model watch is that? I need something cheapish that can keep mileage.
That's a Forerunner 35. Overall I'm happy with it. There have been maybe two times where it didn't pick up my heartrate. Otherwise it has been pretty consistent. Made for runners, but it has a cycling option too.
Old 05-29-21, 12:00 PM
jdawginsc 
Edumacator

That's a Forerunner 35. Overall I'm happy with it. There have been maybe two times where it didn't pick up my heartrate. Otherwise it has been pretty consistent. Made for runners, but it has a cycling option too.
Ooo. $100 on Amazon. USB recharge? Hows the battery life? Is it pretty easy to track mileage?

Old 05-29-21, 12:48 PM
jdawginsc 
Edumacator

Tires, cleaned up wheels and a saddle...?

The rims cleaned up nicely...Shimano 600EX stuff is sublime. Rims were needing a bit of a true, but hubs spun like butter and the Araya red label (no clue what model) still have the gold tint.

Gatorskins seem rideable after pizza 🍕 duty and one of the saddles might be usable, though then Id have to give Bumblebina white stuff to match...

Oooooo...shiny

Removed a few critters, but in need of some armor all!

Interesting Look pedals, have no idea what cleats they take...using the white saddle and those pedals would allow some leeway with cables, bar tape and brake hoods (which I got a super deal on if they fit...)

and then the pedal choices...

Last edited by jdawginsc; 05-29-21 at 01:30 PM.
Old 05-29-21, 01:52 PM
darnet

COVID Bike Parts Sources for Green Super Course:
Around October, 2020, I had the good fortune to find a box of parts listed on Facebook Market Place, seller had them listed ridiculously cheap at $5 (believe it or not). One of the items in the box was a Campagnolo crank (drive side only, missing little nuts) with 53/39 chainwheels, a cartridge bottom bracket, and some derailleurs. For the record, I only used the crank. It's kind of too upscale for this project, but it's all I had!

Also, sometime during COVID, I rescued a black Fuji (unmarked, possibly a 1980 Royale) from the town dump. It was a good donor bike, and 's useable parts included a tattered seat (fortunately for me, since I needed a seat), mismatched derailleurs (rear not original), crank, bottom bracket, and shifters.

In my college days, Id installed cotterless cranks on my very first Super Course (1973 model, coffee color). I am now somewhat older than I was in 1980, and I live among hills, so I now need easier gearing. Maybe a rear freewheel with bigger big cog (>28 tooth), or maybe a 39 tooth chainwheel, or both. Fortunately, in April, 2020, I had bought a 32-tooth freewheel (Suntour Perfect) from "BoulderBicycle.Bike" for $8.00. It was frozen, as advertised, but came loose with some soaking and WD40.

I decided to install the Campagnolo crank and the BoulderBicycle freewheel on the Green Super Course. Because the actual prices were unfairly cheap, to be fairer Im allocating $5 for the crank alone. Since there was a square taper bottom bracket in the $5 box, I'm saying another $5 for a bottom bracket (square taper instead of cottered), and another $5 (estimated) for a non-drive side crank arm. The actual bottom bracket and right side crank I used were donated by the Black Fuji Royale dump rescue. Also in the $5 box, wrapped in brown paper, was a nicer seat post, which I also used (Kat-ching), and front and rear derailleurs (which I did not use, but I assigned $5 each for front and rear derailleurs again from the Fuji).

Incidentally, I tried to force the seller of the $5 box to take $15, he initially refused, then relented by taking $10 and throwing in some sunglasses.

My 10th post (tomorrow probably since it's 5:00 o'clock somewhere) will be the final price tally for the Green Super Course. Then I'll go back and add pics.

Last edited by darnet; 06-03-21 at 05:35 PM. Reason: add pics
Old 05-29-21, 01:53 PM
BFisher 

Ooo. $100 on Amazon. USB recharge? Hows the battery life? Is it pretty easy to track mileage?
Yeah, clip cradle to USB connection for charging. Battery life is good. Never had it come close to dying on me. Specs claim 13 hours in GPS mode.

I pick "bike" from the menu, wait for it to get a signal, and then "start." Also compared it to the computers I used to use and the speed reading seems accurate. Upload to Garmin Connect when I'm done. Really easy to use.
Old 05-29-21, 02:06 PM
jdawginsc 
Edumacator

Yeah, clip cradle to USB connection for charging. Battery life is good. Never had it come close to dying on me. Specs claim 13 hours in GPS mode.

I pick "bike" from the menu, wait for it to get a signal, and then "start." Also compared it to the computers I used to use and the speed reading seems accurate. Upload to Garmin Connect when I'm done. Really easy to use.
i ordered it! Arrives tomorrow! Thanks for the info...

Old 05-29-21, 02:43 PM
rustystrings61 

closer ....

This morning I spent some time pulling the bar end shifters off, along with the cable stops, in preparation for mounting the L422 Light Action shifters from last year’s donor bike. Alas, I’m not clever enough to get them off the stem shifter mount - or maybe they’re not meant to come off.

I sat and drank coffee on the back deck with my wife and unbidden came the solution. I re-installed the bar ends and cable stops, grabbed the last gear cable from last year’s swap that netted me the donor bike + cables and housing and dug around in the bin of housings. There was a short length of Campagnolo shifter housing. I cut two pieces long enough to run from bar end to the base of the brake lever and ran cables through those and the too-short housings, butting them together and taping the lot in line on the bars.

Then I did the same on the other side and wrapped it all up in the blue tape that came with the bike.

So now I need to swap out the rear axle (too short!) for the rear axle on my son’s bike (too long!), fit tires and chain and pedals and it’ll be time to start riding!

Last edited by rustystrings61; 05-29-21 at 08:52 PM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.