Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

LBS Policy against working on your own bike!

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

LBS Policy against working on your own bike!

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-21, 09:06 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6214 Post(s)
Liked 4,211 Times in 2,361 Posts
Originally Posted by merziac
Threadless, cartridge, disposable, throwaway, profit at all costs crap is to blame for this.
Hold on there a minute. “Threadless” and “cartridge” don’t necessarily mean throwaway. Threadless headsets…which are way beyond vintage at this point…were a godsend to mountain bikers when they were introduced. Threaded headsets were notorious for loosening due to the pounding that mountain bikes put on them. There was a thriving cottage industry of locking collars for the lock nut on threaded headsets that had only limited success in keeping the headset tight. A loose headset on a mountain bike meant a headset replacement. It was almost a case of “go for a ride, replace the headset” with early mountain bikes. Talk about throwaway!

Cartridge bearing bottom brackets did the same for cranksets. Although I didn’t replace bottom brackets as many times as headsets, I did replace a lot of bottom brackets. Early mountain bikes didn’t have any other seal than the grease and it was quickly contaminated by grit when riding off-road. Pitted spindles and pitted races were incredibly common. When cartridge bearing bottom brackets were introduced, that all went away. The cartridge bearing bottom brackets were incredibly durable and lasted far longer than loose bearings BBs did. Again, which one is “throwaway”.

Finally, cartridge bearings in headsets greatly increase durability over loose bearings. I’ve got cartridge bearing headsets that are more than 20 years old on road bikes, mountain bikes, and touring bikes that have never needed any maintenance. A number of them were used when I got them. I can not say the same about loose bearing headsets.

Similarly, cartridge bearings in hubs greatly increase the service life of a hub. Again, I have hubs that are nearly 20 years old and have up to 20,000 miles on them with zero maintenance. They roll as smooth as the day I built them and I expect them to continue for years to come. If they do fail, replacing the bearing is relatively easy and I expect that bearing to last as long as the original. But, to be honest, cartridge bearings seldom fail. I’ve only replaced bearings in 3 or 4 wheels since I started using them back in 1984…and a few of those have been in used hubs that I picked up for next to nothing. I’ve replaced 10 to 20 times more cones and bearings over the same time period.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 11-05-21, 11:04 AM
steelbikeguy

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1829 Post(s)
Liked 3,373 Times in 1,579 Posts
Originally Posted by 52telecaster
My father was an engineer in fuel system design for big yellow many years ago. He designed the sleeve metering fuel system that was often abused to uprate power. When he was working on design he really wanted to go with electronic control but senior management would not allow it. The more things change....
The old mechanical governors for diesel engines were interesting devices! Springs and flyweights and all manner of little fiddly bits waiting to gum up or wear out or lose spring strength. Kinda reminds me of carburetors for gas engines... simple enough that the home mechanic could work on it, but also so prone to wear and gumming up that the home mechanic had to spend a fair bit of time caring for it.

The electronic engine controls have gotten reliable enough to nearly never fail or behave badly... but there's no way a home mechanic could fix it.
OTOH, there are hobbyists who have learned to dig into the software and find the maps that determine how much fuel is used, and modified the software to increase horsepower and/or torque. Of course, it no longer meets the emissions requirements, which the manufacturer was careful to comply with.

Maybe there's an analogy between these internal combustion engines and bike bearings? The old cup & cone bearings that can be serviced and rebuilt are usually prone to contamination and misadjustment*, but the owner can clean and readjust them without much trouble. Modern cartridge bearings don't allow cleaning and adjustment, but usually are well sealed and quite robust.

* regarding bearing seals and reliability... some bearings do have good seals and can still be serviced and adjusted. The examples that come to mind are the Stronglight Delta needle bearing headsets, and SPD pedals. I've got Stronglight Delta headsets that have seen over 50,000 miles of use, and SPD pedals that have seen a lot of use in rotten conditions. The SPDs are even more remarkable when you consider how tiny the bearings are (1/8", I think).

Steve in Peoria
Likes For steelbikeguy:
Old 11-05-21, 12:09 PM
cbrstar
BMX Connoisseur

Bikes: 1988 Kuwahara Newport, 1983 Nishiki, 1984 Diamond Back Viper, 1991 Dyno Compe

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 69 Posts
I'm kinda speculating here. But at least where I live there is/was a brake cable shortage and all the shops were either low or out! So the guy probably doesn't have a lot left and doesn't want to potentially waste any housing. So he wants the OP to bring the bike in so he can dish out the right size of cable.

As for not selling fork parts etc. I personally rebuilt the forks on my Honda CBR 600 myself. I can walk into any Honda shop and buy any part of the motorcycle I want. I don't think a bicycle should be any different. Even with electronics. ASUS refused to fix my laptop because I wasn't the original owner. I couldn't find a new motherboard anywhere even on ebay, so I took it to a shop that specializes in refurbishing motherboards and they were able to fix it. So I might not be able to fix it myself but I was able to find a expert who could. Allowing companies to have monopoly's on parts and service is not a good thing.
Likes For cbrstar:
Old 11-05-21, 12:22 PM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
Originally Posted by grizzly59
So basically that shop does repairs, but doesn’t sell parts. I have had experience with that...
Me too.
There’s a mechanic across the street from where I work.
Once when I’d had a flat on the morning commute, I asked to buy a tube so that I’d still have a spare for the return trip. And he flat out refused to sell me one.
Now, I understand that people might want to profile their businesses differently, and that maybe he can make more from doing the work too.
But for me, then, there was nothing for him to fix. I’d already swapped the flatted tube on the way in. All I wanted was a tube.
And him refusing to sell me one turned a small profit into no profit.
Not much improvement IMO.
Old 11-05-21, 03:09 PM
La Brea Bike

Bikes: 02 Litespeed Ultimate, 84 & 85 Raleigh Grand Prix, '84 Raleigh Prestige, 85 Raleigh 555 RSL, '20 Raleigh Tamland, 38 Raleigh, 85 Landshark "Raleigh", '84 Marinoni Levi's Raleigh, SB4484, SB7979, Raleigh SSCXWC, 87 Raleigh USA 531 Prototype

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 79 Posts
That's weird for sure. I am not sure if there was anyone else in the shop when you were there, but I can tell you the the 2020 boon gave way to a 2021 bust for bike shops. From talking to the distributors, it's killing quite a few well established shops off. In Los Angeles, the locally famous Coco's Variety recently shut, amongst others. I wonder if the new ownership isn't filling their shorts when they realized what was happening (or about to happen).
Old 11-05-21, 03:47 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,828 Times in 1,995 Posts
Originally Posted by La Brea Bike
That's weird for sure. I am not sure if there was anyone else in the shop when you were there, but I can tell you the the 2020 boon gave way to a 2021 bust for bike shops. From talking to the distributors, it's killing quite a few well established shops off. In Los Angeles, the locally famous Coco's Variety recently shut, amongst others. I wonder if the new ownership isn't filling their shorts when they realized what was happening (or about to happen).
hmmm. Coco’s stock and trade was used bikes, and those move well enough without a reseller. Maybe just like a number of shops not enough product to sell. Ir, lease was up and new terms were not friendly. An independent shop can get clobbered, one near to me ordered some Raleighs, got them in and Raleigh put them on sale via the website at below what he bought them at… that shop no longer exists.
a few others have vanished but I think it was other factors, owner health in one instance, just retirement in another, they owned the building and better to sell it vacant that with a bike shop as a tenant.

The service dept can make money but, there needs to be talent - not enough of that and revenue hits a limit. Getting basic parts is an issue, I am looking for spokes…
they are available for ransom prices.
Old 11-05-21, 04:27 PM
La Brea Bike

Bikes: 02 Litespeed Ultimate, 84 & 85 Raleigh Grand Prix, '84 Raleigh Prestige, 85 Raleigh 555 RSL, '20 Raleigh Tamland, 38 Raleigh, 85 Landshark "Raleigh", '84 Marinoni Levi's Raleigh, SB4484, SB7979, Raleigh SSCXWC, 87 Raleigh USA 531 Prototype

Originally Posted by repechage
hmmm. Coco’s stock and trade was used bikes, and those move well enough without a reseller. Maybe just like a number of shops not enough product to sell. Ir, lease was up and new terms were not friendly. An independent shop can get clobbered, one near to me ordered some Raleighs, got them in and Raleigh put them on sale via the website at below what he bought them at… that shop no longer exists.
a few others have vanished but I think it was other factors, owner health in one instance, just retirement in another, they owned the building and better to sell it vacant that with a bike shop as a tenant.

The service dept can make money but, there needs to be talent - not enough of that and revenue hits a limit. Getting basic parts is an issue, I am looking for spokes…
they are available for ransom prices.
Coco's was a Raleigh (Accell/Alta) dealer as well. BTW, not sure if this is known, but there is no Raleigh brand active in the USA any more.

When I go to the parts distributors now, I am usually the only one there. As a comparison, during 2020, there were maybe five other shops awaiting will-call, and in 2019 (pre-boon) two or three shops there at a time.
Old 11-06-21, 01:11 PM
repechage

Coco's was a Raleigh (Accell/Alta) dealer as well. BTW, not sure if this is known, but there is no Raleigh brand active in the USA any more.

When I go to the parts distributors now, I am usually the only one there. As a comparison, during 2020, there were maybe five other shops awaiting will-call, and in 2019 (pre-boon) two or three shops there at a time.
I did see "temporarily closed" on yelp. Who knows. Not that local, so no rush to investigate.
I could use a Park shop workstand though...
Old 11-06-21, 04:14 PM
La Brea Bike

Originally Posted by repechage
I did see "temporarily closed" on yelp. Who knows. Not that local, so no rush to investigate.
I could use a Park shop workstand though...
I originally heard it from one of their former customers. Not sure if they sent out an email or what. Kind of a kitchy little joint. They saved my hide a few times when I had film industry projects.
Old 11-07-21, 04:24 PM
Melon Baller
two wheels is just right

Bikes: Raleigh Sports, Lotus Classique, Fuji Royale, Raleigh Record

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 2 Posts
This really puts the "BS" in LBS
Likes For Melon Baller:
Old 11-07-21, 07:59 PM
repechage

I originally heard it from one of their former customers. Not sure if they sent out an email or what. Kind of a kitchy little joint. They saved my hide a few times when I had film industry projects.
I did reference Raleigh, looks like they blew out the inventory and parked it, the distributor lists the brand, but no product.
Radpower ebikes chartered a small container ship and bought new containers just to get product this year, creative.
Old 11-08-21, 12:34 PM
Snowflake6
Sprockets away!

Bikes: 2021 Prior Prime 105 Disc, 2015 Cannondale Synapse 105 Disc, 1996 Brodie Quantum, 1984 Norco Monterey (SRAM automatix two-speed), 198x Cramerotti Campagnolo Chorus (restored)

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by USAZorro
Have you tried getting parts recently? Might be that they need to keep enough on-hand to be able to perform in-house service.
This is the reason the LBS's near me use for not selling parts over-the-counter right now. Tires and tubes, when they have them, okay. But if you want a bottom bracket? Steering tube bearing? Shift cable or housing? Nope. Bring the bike in and they'll do it for you (with a bill for labour) or buy somewhere else.

Hence most of the parts for my latest bike came from online sources.
Likes For Snowflake6:
Old 11-08-21, 01:05 PM
robertAltman

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
They don't want your business

Originally Posted by MrK.
Let me preface this by saying I'm 62 years old. I have been working on bikes since the mechanics in the bike shop close to my house would let me hang out when I was 10 and hand them tools and be otherwise annoying. I live in a small East Texas town. Closest bike shop is an hour away. I go there if I am close and need something, otherwise I order parts online. I was in that town today so I stopped in because I needed some cable and housing. I walked in and asked for a mtb brake cable and a full length piece of housing. The guy was pretty condescending telling me every bike is different and he needs to know exactly how long to cut the housing. I told him it's for a rear disc brake and the housing is full length so to cut me 5 feet. That seemed to annoy him so I said just cut it the length of the cable (knowing full well that there would be some left over). He blew and shook his head in frustration and I turned and started looking at the bike tools (ironic) thinking he was getting the housing. I heard him talking on the phone and mentioning housing. A minute later he gets my attention and asks me if I was bringing the bike in for installation. I told him that I would be installing it myself. He then picked up the cable and told me that I cannot install it myself, they had to do the install per company policy. ??? I know this shop changed hands recently and like to give them business when I am in the area but this is the last time I will give them business. Anyone else ever seen anything this absurd from a bike shop? Sorry for the rant.
So, that means they don't want your business. It's not worth your time to get upset about it. You have two choices: talk to owner of LBS and tell them of your upset, or just go someplace else. If you talk to them, you are being generous so they can learn from their mistake. They have already lost your business.
Old 11-08-21, 02:36 PM
foothillbilly

Bikes: Ancheer folding e-bike, ancient Trek (24" wheels, modified for my back problem), Zizzo trailer, homemade trailer

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
I'm one of those "I'm out of here" types. If anybody in retail won't sell what I'm buying, I need my time to find a better source.
Old 11-08-21, 02:37 PM
gdu555

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That only happened to me one time and it was for cable and housing. Never went back.
Other shops have always been accommodating, even answering any questions I might have. Current LBS even offered to have me come in and they’d show me how to do a needed repair.
Bottom line is to patronize a shop that’s customer focused and wants your business.
Old 11-08-21, 04:30 PM
Redshift96

Bikes: 1983 Bianchi Professional; 1997 Kestrel 200SCi; 2002 Kestrel 500EMS; 1999 Ellsworth Joker; 1998 Trek Y-33; 2000 Kestrel Rubicon Comp

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by steelbikeguy
Anyway... it's easy to imagine Shimano or Campy or SRAM ending up like this... having to trash a $500 derailleur or brifter because some solder joint failed deep inside. The level of complexity and features almost guarantees that the part will be incredibly difficult to repair.
I think we're already there... case in point starting with the first Dura Ace 7970 derailleurs. $400+ for a used rear mech, IF you can find one in decent shape at all. If it starts fritzing out on you... get ready to shell out another $400. Guessing it's not much different with the newer Di2 mechs once they're out of warranty, which I'm guessing is still limited to 12 months? Now... did someone just mention that they were still using their 50+yo Suntour mechanical rear derailleur? That's quite a contrast in longevity. And we're expected to pay a 400% premium for that reduced life expectancy? And the promised benefit is... a little crisper shifting with less exertion of one's finger muscles? Man... the power of marketing. It's impressive.

I wonder how many other engineers deal with the failings & challenges of high tech during the day, and ride home on a bike with downtube shift levers??
That was definitely me up until fairly recently. I do appreciate the later STI shifters however, for sure. While I'm not inclined to try to disassemble/repair them, they appear to have a very reasonable usable life expectancy. And the going prices for used units on eBay and elsewhere seem to support that impression.
Old 11-08-21, 05:39 PM
Marci

Bikes: My Day 6, Big Red.

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 16 Posts
Well You just look at them and say "Well I will just head on over to Wallmart/Amazon. Thought I would give you some sales instead but if that's your stance on me working on my own bike..... your loss."
Old 11-08-21, 05:50 PM
steelbikeguy

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1829 Post(s)
Liked 3,373 Times in 1,579 Posts
Originally Posted by Redshift96
I think we're already there... case in point starting with the first Dura Ace 7970 derailleurs. $400+ for a used rear mech, IF you can find one in decent shape at all. If it starts fritzing out on you... get ready to shell out another $400. Guessing it's not much different with the newer Di2 mechs once they're out of warranty, which I'm guessing is still limited to 12 months? Now... did someone just mention that they were still using their 50+yo Suntour mechanical rear derailleur? That's quite a contrast in longevity. And we're expected to pay a 400% premium for that reduced life expectancy? And the promised benefit is... a little crisper shifting with less exertion of one's finger muscles? Man... the power of marketing. It's impressive.
nobody has started a small business of fixing up the electronic derailleurs yet?

Or has someone tried it and decided that it can't be done? It sure seems like there is a bit of profit available there, even if it takes a few hours to do it. It'll take a stock of dead parts, because I'm pretty sure that nearly none of the parts are used anywhere else.

Steve in Peoria
Old 11-08-21, 06:02 PM
Redshift96

Bikes: 1983 Bianchi Professional; 1997 Kestrel 200SCi; 2002 Kestrel 500EMS; 1999 Ellsworth Joker; 1998 Trek Y-33; 2000 Kestrel Rubicon Comp

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
nobody has started a small business of fixing up the electronic derailleurs yet?

Or has someone tried it and decided that it can't be done? It sure seems like there is a bit of profit available there, even if it takes a few hours to do it. It'll take a stock of dead parts, because I'm pretty sure that nearly none of the parts are used anywhere else.

Steve in Peoria
Not that I'm aware of. But if there is a resource for this, I'd love to know about it.

As I understand it, the first gen (non-etube) Di2 rear mech is just a servo motor and it's attendant gear drive bits. The brain is on a little board inside the front mech body. (The later gen 11-spd models may be the same, not sure.) If so, one would think that repairing the rear mech would not be a graduate-level undertaking. But it will be a long while before my list of projects gets short enough to research that one more myself.
Old 11-08-21, 07:03 PM
StanJF

Bikes: Giant TCR Advanced SL3, Koba MTB, Zieleman Type Special criterium bike, Gitane Pro track bike

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
It sounds like a communication problem (not yours) with the rep not being so customer-friendly. There could be some policy issues or liability concerns, but it's nonsense. As someone else mentioned, talk to the owner, he might also like to know how his customers are being treated (I know I would). But given your experience and mechanical skill, why bother with them? Most everything can be had online these days and my experience with Amazon (for example) is superb. If it doesn't work, fit or even look right, they'll take it back at no cost. That's my opinion anyway for what it's worth.
Old 11-08-21, 08:06 PM
ARider2

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 105 Posts
It is possible the bike shop was low on cable housing and felt they only had enough left to complete the jobs they had already taken in. It has been difficult getting many items including cable housing since the start of the pandemic. However, if the reason they did not sell the cable housing was because they were low they should have just told this to the OP.
Likes For ARider2:
Old 11-09-21, 06:39 AM
Dannyboy21

Bikes: 1980 Marinoni Special, 1987 Ciocc Microf. C40, 1978 Raleigh Competition GS, 1982 Colnago Super, 1972 Gitane Pro TdF, 1976 Belgian Diamant by Martelly, 1989 Trek 520, 1972 Dawes Galaxy 2014 Cervelo R5, 2020 Salsa Warbird, 2013 Giant Trance X1

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked 61 Times in 42 Posts
Originally Posted by clubman
Failing that, tell them to take a flying leap at a rolling doughnut. Absurd indeed.
Nice. Is that the way Kurt Vonnegut said it?
Likes For Dannyboy21:
Old 11-09-21, 07:21 AM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2297 Post(s)
Liked 2,054 Times in 1,254 Posts
Originally Posted by Dannyboy21
Nice. Is that the way Kurt Vonnegut said it?
Old 11-09-21, 07:41 AM
sbrudno

Bikes: Motobecane Grand Record, Motobecane Super Mirage (3x5 speeds), Motobecane Mirage, Atala (unknown model), Peugeot mixte frame Tourist and Schwinn Sport. A bunch more kids bikes. Most recently a Trek Verve One, tricked up for serious touring.

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 29 Posts
I would agree. I have been purchasing online since the beginning of the pandemic but had previously used local bicycle shops both in Augusta, GA where there are a number of great shops and in the Northern Virginia area. Once I had established a relationship with the LBS I never had a problem with buying components. Since I have only vintage bicycles, some of the stuff I purchase is from eBay but there you have to be careful to get what your really want and for a reasonable price. AND be patient. I just got a headset for a Motobecane Super Mirage in just the right diameter. Waited 3 months to find one but worth the wait.
When I am out on the road and near a bicycle shop, which is easier to do now with cellular phone mapping, I am willing to pay more for the component but have not had problems with the shop refusing to sell a part. Probably has something to do with a sweaty old guy on a ancient bike walking into the shop (at least I like to think so). The only thing to prevent refusal is to carry some essential parts with you one the road: cables and inner tubes are right up there on the list.
Likes For sbrudno:
Old 11-09-21, 08:08 AM
poprad

Bikes: 07 Vanilla, 98 IRD road frame built up with 25th Ann DA, Surly cross check with 105 comp, 78 Raleigh Comp GS, 85 Centurionelli

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 191 Posts
Originally Posted by grizzly59
So basically that shop does repairs, but doesn’t sell parts. I have had experience with that back in the 80’s, but I haven’t used a shop for repairs or parts since then. Another ½ generation and there won’t be many Americans fixing any of their own stuff.
Yep. That. While you're at it check out UTG (Uncle Tony's Garage on utube) and his rants about replacement auto parts failures, incompatibility, and downright shoddy quality. I'm waiting for this to hit the bike industry, it's a nefarious way to make people buy new cars/bikes/whatever if they can't just fox the one they have.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.