Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Persistent Rim Rub (19x700c)

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-21, 06:10 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 961 Post(s)
Liked 1,628 Times in 1,044 Posts

I have a spot on my front wheel that is giving me a persistent rub when applying my brakes. I have had problems like on other wheel sets before but was able to alleviate them by tuning the wheel for spoke tension, rim positioning, rim width, and truing, but not this wheel. It measures 19.7mm before and after the seam. The weld looks flawless and even. The spokes do not have abnormal tension from the other spokes. I have checked every thing I can think of and this wheel still gives me that slight rub in seam area when applying the brakes. Is it possible that the rim is changing its shape when I have my weight on it? Maybe the seam has nothing to do with the problem...

Old 12-17-21, 07:08 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4199 Post(s)
Liked 3,851 Times in 2,301 Posts
It use to be very common that rim seams would have enough width/surface variation to cause brake pulsing. Some would use medium/fine emery cloth held on a flat block and sand down any high spots of the joint, of course the low spots remain. These days we have far better seam finishing with the entire brake track getting some sort of machining or sanding. So brake pulsing is a far less common complaint.

I would do some fine sanding using a block and see if there's wide high spots of low ones. If high/wider spots then sand away. Of low, live with it. Andy
Old 12-17-21, 11:02 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1793 Post(s)
Liked 1,267 Times in 874 Posts
Flip the wheel and see of it's better/worse.
Old 12-18-21, 09:50 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6191 Post(s)
Liked 4,807 Times in 3,316 Posts
New wheel? Usually the bumps at the rim joint take care of themselves quickly for me in less than 100 miles. Though this appears to be a welded joint, so maybe it won't take care of itself.

I might just take a small flat file and make it smooth or some sandpaper or emery cloth backed up with something hard and flat.
Old 12-19-21, 04:42 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 961 Post(s)
Liked 1,628 Times in 1,044 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
...use medium/fine emery cloth held on a flat block and sand down any high spots of the joint...
Have not tried that yet but the joint looks very clean and even. Mark left from the brake pad is also even. I will give it a try though.

Originally Posted by Bill Kapaun
Flip the wheel and see of it's better/worse.
OK Bill... Flipped the wheel and now the Rub/Pulse is significantly less. Now my big question is WHY?
Old 12-19-21, 04:48 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1793 Post(s)
Liked 1,267 Times in 874 Posts
The rim joint is obviously misaligned. The "high" side becomes the "low" side when you flip the wheel.
Think of moving the meat the wrong direction on a meat slicer.
Likes For Bill Kapaun: