Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

After-Market Thru Axles (Levers)

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-22, 06:48 PM
Noonievut

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 261 Times in 129 Posts

My bike came with thru axles that use a 6mm hex wrench to take off. I’m going to run multiple wheelsets, swapping them often, and was thinking it would be easier to have the type that have a lever (like a QR). But I’m struggling to find at online retailers (in Canada). Mine are 12x100, 12x142, 1.5mm thread pitch. Any suggestions?
Old 01-07-22, 07:31 PM
dwmckee

Bikes: Co-Motion Cappuccino Tandem,'88 Bob Jackson Touring, Co-Motion Cascadia Touring, Open U.P., Ritchie Titanium Breakaway, Frances Cycles SmallHaul cargo bike. Those are the permanent ones; others wander in and out of the stable occasionally as well.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 229 Posts
It probably would be easier to get a set of DT Swiss TA handles with a hex on the end. You can just leave them attached all of the time if you want to. That way you do not have to buy whole axles.
Likes For dwmckee:
Old 01-07-22, 09:15 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3654 Post(s)
Liked 5,392 Times in 2,737 Posts
I suggest you stay with the hex. There are a variety of TAs with levers attached and some of them are fiddly. I had one that was such a pain I ditched it for a RAP with just the hex. If you feel compelled to change, make sure you are satisfied with how the new one works before you buy.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 01-08-22, 05:47 AM
dsaul

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 713 Post(s)
Liked 796 Times in 473 Posts
Paragon Machine Works https://www.paragonmachineworks.com/...polydrops.html and DT Swiss make the best thru axles with adjustable handles.

Thru axles are not as easy as just knowing the thread pitch and the axle standard, such as 100x12 and 142x12 with 1.5mm pitch. You need to know the overall length of the axle from the head to the end of the axle and the length of the threaded section, as well. Those marking should be on the axle.
Likes For dsaul:
Old 01-08-22, 07:15 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6935 Post(s)
Liked 10,940 Times in 4,674 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
I suggest you stay with the hex. There are a variety of TAs with levers attached and some of them are fiddly. I had one that was such a pain I ditched it for a RAP with just the hex. If you feel compelled to change, make sure you are satisfied with how the new one works before you buy.
The DT Swiss model is rock-solid reliable… No problem at all. But, if I were the OP, I would just stick with the hex heads anyway.
Old 01-08-22, 07:44 AM
Noonievut

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 261 Times in 129 Posts
Originally Posted by dsaul
Paragon Machine Works https://www.paragonmachineworks.com/...polydrops.html and DT Swiss make the best thru axles with adjustable handles.

Thru axles are not as easy as just knowing the thread pitch and the axle standard, such as 100x12 and 142x12 with 1.5mm pitch. You need to know the overall length of the axle from the head to the end of the axle and the length of the threaded section, as well. Those marking should be on the axle.
Thanks for the responses.

What had frustrated me with the existing ones was that when I inserted the hex key into the ‘head’ side and turn CCW to loosen, the head didn’t easily accept the hex key, had to jiggle it and then it engaged (has to insert it past that head, it wasn’t intuitive). That head, when the TA is removed spins freely. I don’t get that head end.

So I just removed them by inserting the hex key into the ‘other’ end and loosened CW, then tightens them CCW. That was much easier.

Is that how this style of TA is supposed to work?

The head end on the left by the specs

The other end that was easy to remove with a hex key (righty/loosy, lefty/tighy)
Old 01-08-22, 09:42 AM
dsaul

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 713 Post(s)
Liked 796 Times in 473 Posts
I don't know about that particular brand of axle, but some of them are made to have a removeable handle that can stay attached to the axle. In order to keep the handle from falling out, they have some type of retention system inside the hex. Sometimes that is just an O-ring inside the hex that makes it difficult to get the handle/wrench in and out.