Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Winter Cycling
Reload this Page >

Salt and Bike Care (undercoating?)

Search
Notices
Winter Cycling Don't let snow and ice discourage you this winter. The key element to year-round cycling is proper attire! Check out this winter cycling forum to chat with other ice bike fanatics.

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-20, 10:56 AM
gravyface

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Does anyone do anything extra in the winter as far as keeping the salt from damaging the metal components? Thinking undercoating or some sort of protective grease.

I wish I could just hose it all off and let it air dry inside, but when it drops below freezing, we don't leave the garden hose connected over the winter for fear of freezing the pipes.

Take it in the tub with the shower head?
Old 09-06-20, 04:16 PM
Ferrouscious 
Some Weirdo

Bikes: '86 Schwinn Prelude, '91 Scott Sawtooth, '73 Raleigh "Grand 3"

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 92 Posts
Steel? frame protectant spray comes to mind... (progold, jp weigle frame saver, etc.)
aluminum? don't worry too much...
assorted bits? grease threads, oil chain, use a spray bottle of warm water and soap. You have a garage? clean it there. wear a jacket!
Likes For Ferrouscious:
Old 09-06-20, 04:36 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Keep everything well lubed and don't worry about it. Wash and clean your bike in the Spring after all the snow and road salt is gone.
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 09-07-20, 06:19 AM
gravyface

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Thanks fellas.
Any tips for gravel bikes?
Old 09-07-20, 02:07 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by gravyface
Any tips for gravel bikes?
Put some full fenders on your gravel bike...Full fenders will protect your clothing from getting messed up with road spray and they also offer some protection for the bike frame and components such as a headset and bottom bracket. Knobby aggressive tires do a good job in snow but if you plan on riding on any type of ice I recommend studded tires.
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 09-12-20, 08:06 AM
parkbrav

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 97 Posts
I've got fenders this year. For the ubiquitous "how do I clean my bike" thread, on Labor Day I did a thorough cleaning. I dusted the bike, I hosed it down with a gardening hose and then lubed up the chain. It looks GREAT and rides better as a result
Old 09-20-20, 06:31 PM
Pugs2xLove

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 89 Times in 66 Posts
Belt drive bike anyone?
Old 09-28-20, 03:53 PM
hsuBM
jj

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 110 Times in 78 Posts
Single speed, aluminum fenders, collection of chains to swap and clean once a week.

The bike comes into the warm onto what is just a plastic shower curtain with a rectangular pvc tubing fence underneath creating a sorta bike troth. It’s usually completely dry on Monday morning.
Old 10-06-20, 07:55 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
Admittedly, I've given up and now have a dedicated winter bike that takes all of the abuse so the rest of the fleet can stay nice.
Likes For Gresp15C:
Old 10-07-20, 07:26 AM
yamsyamsyams

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 20 Posts
Put some helicopter tape on your downtube or any tube that gets a lot of grime. Easy 1 second wipe off when you get home, if the road crud even sticks at all to it.
Old 10-07-20, 08:33 AM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1017 Post(s)
Liked 783 Times in 413 Posts
At the finish of sloppy winter (and summer) rides with my road bike...I rinse it down with a bucket or two of hot water. You might need some spray cleaner to get the grease from the chain off the frame parts. Once it's throughly rinsed, I bounce it, and wipe off as much excess water as possible. If it's sunny and dry I'll leave it to dry in the open air. Other wise I leave it in the garage. I always park it in a different position to dry (upside down, on its side, front/rear wheel elevated, etc.) so that water doesn't always collect in the same low spots in/on the frame, and cable housings. Chain re-lube usually necessary after this treatment.

Dan
Old 10-07-20, 09:06 AM
prairiepedaler
Banned.

Bikes: Looking for "the One"

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 321 Times in 212 Posts
Use a dedicated winter bike if possible and trick it out for winter riding. Whenever my winter ride gets caked with the chocolate mousse from hell ™, I lay the bike on it's side so the wheels spin freely then fill a watering can full of quite warm water and rinse it down, avoiding the chain if possible. You know when the rear wheel gets coated in rim brake compound? Yuk. The bike then drip dries in the unheated garage with a fan on it. This is done at end of the days' riding. It gets cold up here so many times ice forms on the bike before you can get it dry. That ice is gone by morning.
Likes For prairiepedaler:
Old 03-26-21, 11:07 AM
preyj

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Gresp15C
Admittedly, I've given up and now have a dedicated winter bike that takes all of the abuse so the rest of the fleet can stay nice.
Agree - need to sacrifice one to keep the rest looking good.
Likes For preyj:
Old 06-24-21, 07:57 PM
CleanClassics

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
As someone from the rust belt, whose dealt with automotive rust my whole life. Undercoating doesn't do squat. It actually can be worse than just leaving the paint as is. If the undercoat has any failure point of coverage, moisture will get trapped and it'll rot from behind it. If that happens the rot will happen faster than just letting the paint be exposed and cleaning it. Back in the 1980s most dealers would sell some undercoat and sealant to new car buyers in the midwest. Pretty much all dealers have stopped because the automotive car companies refused to honor any rust warranties on undercoated cars because the defect rates were so high.
Old 07-26-21, 10:43 AM
alias5000

Bikes: HP Velotechnik Streetmachine GTE, 2015 Devinci Silverstone SL4, 2012 Cannondale Road Tandem 2, Circe Morpheus, 2021 Rose Backroad, 2017 Devinci Hatchet

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
Have been experimenting a few winters with different methods now. Have arrived at the following being the minimum routine to keep the very most of my components rust-free:
- replace bolts with stainless steel versions (ebay is a cheap source)
- Get a hand pump garden sprayer and spray down bike 2-3 times a week and/or after a particularly salty ride
- store inside

For steel, coating might be a good idea, though I've moved to aluminum components, where possible.