Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Old derailleur compared to new lower model

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 11-21-21, 06:36 PM
dreamy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts

Hi, I need to replace a rear derailleur without spending a lot . I have the below in my parts bin

This is a more general question, but how would the operation of cleaned up old derailleur like this compare to a new Tourney or Acera?
Is it worth the trouble refurbing it ??

Thanks

Old 11-21-21, 06:55 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4193 Post(s)
Liked 3,837 Times in 2,295 Posts
Answer is rather dependent on the old der's condition, especially WRT the pivot wear.

Shimano has used a few differing basic design elements over the years. What angle WRT the cog set is the der's parallelogram at. Is the parallelogram also slanted or is parallel to the wheel's plane. Are the ders all long cage or medium lengths.

For the few $ that a tourney or Acera cost they do a pretty good job when new. But a big reason for their low cost is the softer materials (for lower cost manufacturing), less precise forming of the various parts, materials that are more subject to both corrosion and abrasives (mud and salt) and are not meant to make a rider happy for anywhere near as long as a higher grade of der does.

Like so many questions asked here the answer is more about the rider then the gear. Andy
Old 11-21-21, 07:11 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1786 Post(s)
Liked 1,259 Times in 868 Posts
Originally Posted by dreamy
Hi, I need to replace a rear derailleur without spending a lot . I have the below in my parts bin

This is a more general question, but how would the operation of cleaned up old derailleur like this compare to a new Tourney or Acera?

Thanks
One in the bin is worth more....
Give it a try after flushing/lubing.

At my stage in life, any of the "A" series are better then I am. They'll all shift my 3x9's quite adequately.
Old 11-21-21, 07:53 PM
KCT1986

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Liked 313 Times in 231 Posts
The parts bin one seems to have been used quite a bit. You could try mounting it or clamping the claw hanger in a bench vise and checking to see how tight the pivots are.

The pulleys seems to be quite worn. If the pivots seem OK, new pulleys may make the RD usable.
Old 11-21-21, 08:32 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked 2,534 Times in 1,433 Posts
I have a 20 year old LX that still works perfectly. It bounced around a few MTBs, a commuter, and is now used for a 10 speed Road/Gravel bike.

I replaced the pulley wheels once.

If there is no play in the pivots, go for it. I’d prefer it to a new Acera.
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 11-21-21, 10:15 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
Give that LX a good scrubbing, oil all of the pivots and give it a try. Nothing is lower cost than something you already own. If it is too worn or shifts poorly all you are out is a bit of time.
Likes For HillRider:
Old 11-22-21, 06:08 AM
mikethe

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Did it with lowering to SLX - not recommending.
Old 11-22-21, 07:48 AM
mitchmellow62

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 41 Posts
What are you replacing Dreamy? I'm assuming there will be no compatibility issues with what you are planning. Your expectations of performance will likely be based on the quality of the derailleur you are replacing. The cosmetic damage and dirt are not a good indicator of the operational condition of the LX. I agree with others who have told you to test it, clean it up and try it. It could be a diamond in the rough. It appears to be of the LX, XT, XTR era (turn of the century 9 speed?) so it was toward the higher end of the line. I have an XTR from 1999 that has been "in the family" since 2000 and much used. I think the return spring in the parallelogram may be getting weak because the shift to the smallest cassette cog can be a little slow at times but otherwise it operates flawlessly.
Old 11-22-21, 10:18 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked 2,534 Times in 1,433 Posts
Unless there is some damage not visible in that picture, I would frankly be surprised if that derailleur does not work perfectly. Maybe a new set of pulleys is needed.

The dirt is meaningless. This is an MTB RD. They are meant to be dirty. And that is not even particularly dirty. Nor do all those scrapes mean much. I've got several perfectly functioning MTB RDs that look that bad. Heck, my LX (looks like the same model in a long cage) looks worse and functions perfectly. These RDs were incredibly robust.

The only thing I am curious about is why it is still attached to the derailleur hangar
Old 11-22-21, 10:34 AM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1604 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,216 Posts
Originally Posted by dreamy

Thanks

That's a solid derailleur. 7-10 speed road and some mtb. Long cage will get you up to a 34 cog.
Old 11-22-21, 03:13 PM
dreamy

Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Thanks for the replies. It seems to be in solid good working order, just full of gunk , so I'll give it a good clean and see how it goes.
Likes For dreamy:
Old 12-22-21, 09:44 PM
dreamy

Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Follow up .... finally got around to giving it a clean and touch up and installed and it works beautifully

I love a happy ending!

Likes For dreamy:
Old 12-23-21, 07:36 AM
mitchmellow62

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 41 Posts
Excellent. I like happy endings. That cleaned up nicely.
Old 12-25-21, 07:12 AM
WorldIRC
Canadian eh?

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 54 Posts
I had that derailleur back in the day. It worked so well. Glad you were able to clean it up and get it working!