Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Shimano V-Brake Question

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Shimano V-Brake Question

Old 12-14-21, 04:44 PM
IceTee2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Shimano V-Brake Question

cartridge holders down the road?I have a 2005 Trek 520 frame (and fork) that I'm rebuilding as a winter project. For ease of accessing components, I'm basically rebuilding using Shimano Alivio components essentially to match the Trek 520 2021 specs. Somewhere in a thread I believe that I saw a comment that Alivio BR-T4000s were the same as Deore BR-T610s EXCEPT the Deore had cartridge brake pad holders and the Alivio required changing the whole show as a unit.

Since Deore is approximately 1.5x the cost of the Alivio, should I go with Alivio and change to the replaceable (Deore) cartridge holders down the road? As always, I appreciate the input.
Old 12-14-21, 04:51 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1787 Post(s)
Liked 1,259 Times in 868 Posts
If your mission is to reduce brake pad replacement expenses, how often do you replace pads? How many years to amortize?

Knowing what you are trying to accomplish & why........
Old 12-14-21, 08:25 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4194 Post(s)
Liked 3,837 Times in 2,295 Posts
There's less real time savings with cartridge pad holders then one piece pads than some think. I find when I slide in a replacement pad often it takes some real effort to line up the shoe's cotter pin hole with that of the pad. Then there's the realigning WRT the rim as the original shoe/cartridge holder often isn't at the best angle and spacer arrangement with the replacement pads. As far as the cost savings it's not much. About $10-$20 per swap out. The last thing I will say is that some one piece pads are thicker than the replacement inserts are so might last longer. Andy
Old 12-14-21, 08:49 PM
well biked

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 162 Times in 89 Posts
I'd put Kool-Stop salmon compound pads as your #1 criteria, and get to that goal however you see fit. Either non cartridge-type salmon pads from Kool Stop, or buy cartridge holders/pads, discard the stock pads and install Kool Stop salmon refill pads (the latter would be my choice). Kool Stop pads are that much better for rim brake applications IMO.
Likes For well biked:
Old 12-15-21, 09:14 AM
IceTee2

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I think I am guilty of providing too little info in my original post. I'm NOT trying to nickel/dime this project. My intention on this build is to produce a bike for someone to enjoy on long day/multi-day rides. I remember seeing a thread that indicated that the cartridge-type brake pad holders are easier to properly adjust but the pictures of both the Alivio AND Deore V-Brakes on Amazon/Performance and other on-line sources all look like they have completely replaceable brake shoes/pads and not cartridge type.

If the Alivios are as good as the Deore T-610s or the (original equipment on the 2005 Trek 520) Avid SD-5s why not save a little money? My intention is to sell the rebuild at cost or maybe even a small loss. I'm 74 years old and have medical/physical conditions that preclude riding a DF and currently ride a recumbent trike (Ice Sprint). I just want to learn how all the compnts of a bike go together and stay busy and upright and NOT trying to start a bike restoration business in my garage.

Thanks again for your input and my apologies to not adequately stating my goal.....Jerry
Old 12-15-21, 09:37 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4194 Post(s)
Liked 3,837 Times in 2,295 Posts
Brakes systems are among the simplest of lever "machines". For the same bike/ wheels, AND the same linear brake arm lengths, the leverage the pad gets pressed up against the rim with is the same for different linear pull rakes. What does change are the cosmetics, materials, branding (marketing) and maybe the pad adjustment process. Shimano is very well known for taking the same castings/forgings and with finishing and fastener changes create a range of models that have different retail costs (and thus the implied "improvements"). But the basic laws of levers still remain the same.

Most times I have seen brakes that need servicing the improvements come from fresh pads, low friction cables/casings and best practices in the pad/arm/cable adjustments. I don't put much importance in the cosmetic or the implied grade of the arms. I do like good pads (and agree w/ Kool Stop salmon {I ram Scott M. pads on my road bikes for decades}), cables in good condition with well routed paths and more rust resistant hardware. Note the hardware in down that list as it does nothing for the brake's performance, it does keep my mechanical side happy though. Andy