Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Rear cassette spinning freely! Help

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-21, 03:39 PM
TTron

Bikes: Sworks Aethos and Roubaix, Specialized Tramac Pro, Trek 5500, Cervelo P2C, Specialized Stumpjumper

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 5 Posts

Out for a short 20 mile ride. Going up a shortly small hill. All of a sudden May rear cassette is spinning freely forward and backwards. No power to the wheel. It’s AXS Red etap on a less than year old SWorks Roubaix. Wife is on her way to pick me up. Ug. Any ideas?
Old 12-26-21, 03:52 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
What kind of wheels? Has the rear wheel been out of the bike and the cassette/freehub fell off? I have seen a couple of Roval wheels lately that had the drive ring in the hub shell come loose. Without seeing the wheel I'm just throwing stuff out there.
Old 12-26-21, 04:12 PM
TTron

Bikes: Sworks Aethos and Roubaix, Specialized Tramac Pro, Trek 5500, Cervelo P2C, Specialized Stumpjumper

Update; NOW it works!!! All I did was put the bike in the car, drove home and took it out of the car. Did not remove the rear wheel, left it as is. What the heck! Yes Roval wheels
Old 12-26-21, 04:14 PM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1788 Post(s)
Liked 1,627 Times in 932 Posts
My vote is for stuck pawls from too thick or excessive grease application. Assuming you serviced it at some point with an incompatible grease to what was already there. The fix would be to grab a box of Q-tips & remove all the now waxy muck gumming up the works. Then reapply with a light layer of fresh bearing grease that's not too thick in consistancy.

Next up is a stripped out drive ring. I concur with cxwrench We've had a rash come through the shop recently.

If it's a DT Swiss style ratchet mechanism, it could be the engagement springs not driving the drive plate to engage the freehub body. Disassemble, clean, service with new lube & if needed replace the springs or other worn bits if needed.

The thing about servicable things is they need to be serviced every once in a while. Fortunately for you, hub service isn't usually very expensive.

Last edited by base2; 12-26-21 at 04:19 PM.
Old 12-26-21, 04:50 PM
TTron

Very strange! Went for an aggressive 20 min ride to make if fail. No luck.

The bike is 11 months old, bought it brand new.
Cassette has not been removed that I’m aware of.

~150 miles ago, my specialized dealer / bike shop replaced the chain. it wasn’t an exact axs red etap, but a sram flat chain replacement.

Bike had been working flawlessly!
Old 12-26-21, 08:24 PM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
Was the temperature cooler when the failure occurred? Was it warmer when it started working again?
Old 12-27-21, 09:13 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4731 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
How does a cassette spin freely both or either direction if there's a chain attached to it?
Old 12-27-21, 10:34 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4197 Post(s)
Liked 3,849 Times in 2,300 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
How does a cassette spin freely both or either direction if there's a chain attached to it?
Really?? The cassette, on the freehub body, spins freely in both directions WRT the rest of the wheel.

The first thing I thought of, but doubt applies here, was water getting frozen the freehub body then melting out. But this usually results in the freehub body not spinning either way. Coastal locals can be harder on a bike then areas only a few dozen miles inland. I do agree with servicing the freehub body's internals and see what happens.

It is possible that a pawl or ratchet ring is hanging up due to too thick or gummy lube. Or that the spring driving that part is broken. Taking it apart likely will give more info. Please follow up here so we can learn what your solution is. Andy
Old 12-27-21, 10:41 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
Really?? The cassette, on the freehub body, spins freely in both directions WRT the rest of the wheel.

The first thing I thought of, but doubt applies here, was water getting frozen the freehub body then melting out. But this usually results in the freehub body not spinning either way. Coastal locals can be harder on a bike then areas only a few dozen miles inland. I do agree with servicing the freehub body's internals and see what happens.

It is possible that a pawl or ratchet ring is hanging up due to too thick or gummy lube. Or that the spring driving that part is broken. Taking it apart likely will give more info. Please follow up here so we can learn what your solution is. Andy
Yeah, I was trying to picture what happens with cassette spinning while crank isn't?
Old 12-27-21, 10:44 AM
cxwrench

You're kidding, right?
Old 12-27-21, 10:54 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Pick up the rear end of the bike, rotate the rear wheel. If the freehub was not engaging then you could spin the rear wheel both ways without the cranks rotating too. For this problem to show doesn't require the cranks/chain to be the input. Andy
Old 12-27-21, 11:08 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Originally Posted by cxwrench
You're kidding, right?
No. How would a cassette spin backwards if you're not pedaling backwards?
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
Pick up the rear end of the bike, rotate the rear wheel. If the freehub was not engaging then you could spin the rear wheel both ways without the cranks rotating too. For this problem to show doesn't require the cranks/chain to be the input. Andy
Then the cassette is not the piece spinning, it's the wheels. The OP's story is he was going up a hill.. so presumably forward and the cassette was able to spin in both directions.
Old 12-27-21, 11:14 AM
Warren128

Bikes: 87 Raleigh 531C Team Replica, 96 Litespeed Classic, 01 Lemond Tete-De-Course, 99 Mongoose RX10.9, 03 Lemond Wayzata, 00 Litespeed Appalachian, 99 Bianchi XL Boron, 98 Litespeed Tuscany

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 27 Posts
It's probably stuck or sticky pawls in the freehub. You should probably remove, inspect, and clean and relube the freehub pawls and pawl spring even if it is working properly now.
Old 12-27-21, 12:01 PM
cxwrench

Then the cassette is not the piece spinning, it's the wheels. The OP's story is he was going up a hill.. so presumably forward and the cassette was able to spin in both directions.
Cassette spins when freewheeling, effectively spinning backwards. You don't have to back pedal to make this happen, it just spins faster when you do. Cassette ALSO spins freely when pedaling forwards, effectively no drive. Get it?
Old 12-27-21, 12:06 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Which side of the mirror is the "correct" side? Andy
Old 12-27-21, 12:17 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Originally Posted by cxwrench
Cassette spins when freewheeling, effectively spinning backwards. You don't have to back pedal to make this happen, it just spins faster when you do. Cassette ALSO spins freely when pedaling forwards, effectively no drive. Get it?
Ok, but I'm trying to picture what OP experienced when actually riding (forward) on a bike and chain is connected with a freewheel that isn't engaged. If the cassette is spinning forward when coasting then I'd think the chain would be dropped real quick, and to move forward it would have to fight the RD tension. If pedaling forward or just coasting, the cassette likewise can't spin in reverse as the chain (connected to the crank) wouldn't allow, And if pedaling backwards the cassette will spin at whatever speed you're pedaling backwards because the chain is pulling it.

I can imagine seeing the issue with bike on a stand and/or chain removed.
Old 12-27-21, 12:24 PM
cxwrench

Ok, but I'm trying to picture what OP experienced when actually riding (forward) on a bike and chain is connected with a freewheel that isn't engaged. If the cassette is spinning forward when coasting then I'd think the chain would be dropped real quick, and to move forward it would have to fight the RD tension. If pedaling forward or just coasting, the cassette likewise can't spin in reverse as the chain (connected to the crank) wouldn't allow, And if pedaling backwards the cassette will spin at whatever speed you're pedaling backwards because the chain is pulling it.

I can imagine seeing the issue with bike on a stand and/or chain removed.
You're wayyyyyy overthinking this. The issue is that when the OP pedals forward there is no drive. That's it. It's not rocket surgery.
Likes For cxwrench:
Old 12-30-21, 04:22 PM
TTron

Correct, there was NO drive to the rear wheel regardless of gear. It was 55 degrees, riding down Hwy 1. No freezing temps for water freezing in the hub. I removed the front tire to place my bike in the trunk on its side when my wife picked me up. Home 15 mins later, took the bike out and it’s all of a sudden working again; engaged and could hear the wheel turn (hub noise)

Since then, I’ve taken the bike out for 3 or 4 rides. The problem has not reoccurred. Ensured nothing was loose. Replaced the rear tire because it was time. Did NOTHING else.

I’ll send a note to Specialized to see if they’ve heard of this problem. Also plan to contact the bike shop I purchased the bike shop when they return for Xmas break. I have maybe 6000 miles on the bike in 11 months.

Thanks for everyone’s help!!

Ron
Old 12-31-21, 03:27 PM
Calsun
Banned

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 288 Posts
If it was my bike I would replace the cassette with a new one. Having a cassette freewheel on a hill is a great way to get hurt. I had a 28T cog dish on me in the sierras and crashed and hit my knee hard on the curbing. Had a 14-26 tooth freewheel for the remainder of my trip with the injured knee.
Old 12-31-21, 04:52 PM
cxwrench

Originally Posted by Calsun
If it was my bike I would replace the cassette with a new one. Having a cassette freewheel on a hill is a great way to get hurt. I had a 28T cog dish on me in the sierras and crashed and hit my knee hard on the curbing. Had a 14-26 tooth freewheel for the remainder of my trip with the injured knee.
Why do you think replacing the cassette will make any difference in this case?
Old 12-31-21, 05:17 PM
Calsun
Banned

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 288 Posts
Freewheel hub is what I meant. Terminology has deteriorated over time with regard to these components. One can take apart the entire assembly and check the pawls but I would not want to have my bike out of service while I did this. In addition not everyone has a bench vise and the tools needed to remove the assembly from the wheel hub.

Problems with braking or with a chain breaking apart or jambing in the chainring or a freewheel hub's pawls not engaging are at a different level of concern when riding up hills.
Old 12-31-21, 10:33 PM
cxwrench

Freewheel hub is what I meant. Terminology has deteriorated over time with regard to these components. One can take apart the entire assembly and check the pawls but I would not want to have my bike out of service while I did this. In addition not everyone has a bench vise and the tools needed to remove the assembly from the wheel hub.

Problems with braking or with a chain breaking apart or jambing in the chainring or a freewheel hub's pawls not engaging are at a different level of concern when riding up hills.
What does a freewheel hub or how to remove a freewheel have to do w/ this thread?
Likes For cxwrench:
Old 01-01-22, 12:15 AM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,022 Times in 722 Posts

You mean the freehub body and the terminology has been around longer then I've been wrenching on bikes which I started around 92/93. Checking on the problem is about an hour's job, give or take how fast you move and worth the time to investigate, clean and relube to make sure the problem stays away.
I would agree with going over it to make sure the problem stays away.
Old 01-01-22, 06:42 PM
PeteHski

Quoted: 4393 Post(s)
Liked 4,836 Times in 2,990 Posts
DT Swiss had a recent recall on some of their latest high end 2021 hubs (Ratchet EXP system) leading to loss of drive exactly as described here. Would be worth checking what hubs Roval are using as they could well be DT Swiss internals. There's an article about it here on Cycling Tips and it does mention Roval as an OEM fitment of these hubs

https://cyclingtips.com/2021/05/dt-s...vice-bulletin/
Old 01-01-22, 06:52 PM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 612 Posts
Originally Posted by TTron
Very strange! Went for an aggressive 20 min ride to make if fail. No luck.

The bike is 11 months old, bought it brand new.
Cassette has not been removed that I’m aware of.

~150 miles ago, my specialized dealer / bike shop replaced the chain. it wasn’t an exact axs red etap, but a sram flat chain replacement.

Bike had been working flawlessly!
Could be covered under warranty

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.