Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Cartridge bottom bracket for Suntour Blaze cranks?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-22, 04:17 PM
jasoninohio

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 23 Posts

Hey folks,

Trying to pick a bottom bracket for these cranks and I don't know much about some of these specs, eg. I can pick a 110mm bottom bracket but what do I need to consider about the "asymmetrical" and "3L standard" specs mentioned on velobase:

BB Length: 110.5mm asymmetrical (3L axle standard) https://velobase.com/ViewComponent.a...17b5a&Enum=115

Is there a common cartridge replacement for that or will I just have to do some guesswork?

Thanks!

Probably ugly to most people here but I kinda like the hidden chainring bolts
Old 01-04-22, 04:58 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2746 Post(s)
Liked 3,391 Times in 2,054 Posts
Link says 3I not 3L

This shows 28 x 52 x 30.5 for a 3I
​​​​​​https://www.walmart.com/ip/Sunlite-B...-Bike/51751365

​​​​​​https://www.sheldonbrown.com/bbsize.html
Old 01-04-22, 06:22 PM
jasoninohio

Originally Posted by dedhed
Link says 3I not 3L

This shows 28 x 52 x 30.5 for a 3I
​​​​​​https://www.walmart.com/ip/Sunlite-B...-Bike/51751365

​​​​​​https://www.sheldonbrown.com/bbsize.html
Hah wow I was reading it as an L, not too familiar with old bottom bracket standards or I would have known. Also thanks for the info, I've just figured out a bunch of stuff that was going over my head before. Sooo, it looks like a 113mm symmetric unit would give 30.5 on both sides, that's probably my answer!
Old 01-04-22, 06:39 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1795 Post(s)
Liked 1,269 Times in 876 Posts
There is also a 3L. See the pdf
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
is.1131.2006-010.pdf (29.5 KB, 6 views)
Old 01-04-22, 07:03 PM
jasoninohio

Originally Posted by Bill Kapaun
There is also a 3L. See the pdf
Yes, very informative now that I know what I'm looking at. I also have a GPX crankset which velobase says uses a 113mm BB, but my GPX spindle is marked 3L which that doc says is actually 116mm symmetric, odd to me since they are both early 90s road doubles, you'd think Suntour would just use the same bottom bracket size...
Old 01-05-22, 01:50 AM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1944 Post(s)
Liked 1,468 Times in 1,017 Posts
Originally Posted by jasoninohio
I also have a GPX crankset which velobase says uses a 113mm BB, but my GPX spindle is marked 3L which that doc says is actually 116mm symmetric, ...
The spindle length needed depends on both the frame as well as the crankset. If there is already a compatible bottom bracket on the bike, I suggest first installing the right crank arm (with chain rings) onto the existing bottom bracket to gauge the chain line -- the line between the mid-point between the two chain rings (assuming a 2x setup) and the middle of the cassette, which should be parallel to the top tube -- then removing the existing bottom bracket to read the specified spindle length, then buy a new bottom bracket with the same or a different spindle length depending on whether you need to move the crankset inward or outward to get a chain line parallel to the top tube.
Old 01-05-22, 07:22 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2746 Post(s)
Liked 3,391 Times in 2,054 Posts
Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
The spindle length needed depends on both the frame as well as the crankset. If there is already a compatible bottom bracket on the bike, I suggest first installing the right crank arm (with chain rings) onto the existing bottom bracket to gauge the chain line -- the line between the mid-point between the two chain rings (assuming a 2x setup) and the middle of the cassette, which should be parallel to the top tube -- then removing the existing bottom bracket to read the specified spindle length, then buy a new bottom bracket with the same or a different spindle length depending on whether you need to move the crankset inward or outward to get a chain line parallel to the top tube.
More importantly that chainrings and crank arm clear the chainstay adequately.