Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

The Water Cooler, Scuttlebutt, Chit Chat Thread

Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

The Water Cooler, Scuttlebutt, Chit Chat Thread

Old 05-04-18, 02:43 PM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
I was just thinking about the Pixies the other day. There's sad piano version of Where Is My Mind, which I think was first used in The Social Network, which I've heard a couple of times on TV recently. Seems to be audio shorthand for sad and soulful reflection. I don't know what I'm supposed to think of that.
It was used in The Leftovers. The Facebook one was Creep by Radiohead.
Old 05-04-18, 04:01 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Ah, you're right!
Old 05-04-18, 06:45 PM
carpediemracing 

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 101 Posts
Originally Posted by topflightpro
Just got tickets to see The Descendents later this month.

(I have no idea how Weezer is the headliner over The Pixies. Sure, Weezer put out two really solid albums, but then just put out crap since. The Pixies, however, pretty much launched the entire Grunge/Alternative movement, but I digress.)
Truth!

I'm seriously contemplating getting tickets to see Live. They're opening for Counting Crows, which, to me, seems backwards also. I just got unburnt off listening to Live from the early-mid 90s when we listened to them all day long. Was listening/watching, such performances really move me emotionally. I mentioned it to my boss (he's a huge music person, plays/ed guitar, and understands). He told me they'd be coming to Hartford. Not sure if anyone wants to go to a show with a guy that gets all weepy whenever the band plays something.
"...during the Lance years, being fit became the No. 1 thing. Totally the only thing. It’s a big part of what we do, but fitness is not the only thing. There’s skills, there’s tactics … there’s all kinds of stuff..." Tim Johnson
Old 05-04-18, 06:52 PM
carpediemracing 

So I'm at a bit of a loss. Drain pipe backed up, spilling sewage water into our bathroom and then down into the basement. Lost a bunch of stuff in the basement, including a bunch of bike race tapes (gritty local coverage my mom taped for me in Belgium). $8-10k damage, conservative. Significantly part of the bike room was affected (half the floor, so that's an important part of the bike room) so I lost my room for my trainer/etc. And all the salvageable stuff has been moved into three different rooms, eliminating them from being potential trainer spots. Other than being physically tough on me (last couple days I'd work 12-13 hours then work on the basement 4-5 hours) I'm going to need to figure what to do for training now (outside is often not an option).

Next two days off from work so that's nice. Exhausted now.
"...during the Lance years, being fit became the No. 1 thing. Totally the only thing. It’s a big part of what we do, but fitness is not the only thing. There’s skills, there’s tactics … there’s all kinds of stuff..." Tim Johnson
Old 05-06-18, 03:42 PM
tetonrider

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Quoted: 693 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by aaronmcd
Derailleur hanger snapped on the Wednesday night social ride. I "tipped" over while riding in circles waiting for another guy to (learn how to) change a flat after his low speed crash. Then I hopped a curb and the hanger just snapped. Considered turning it into a fixie for the ride home but I didn't have a spare chain at home. $30 uber ride. Replaced the hanger the next morning and miracle of miracles the screws were not stripped. But it still wouldn't shift right.

So I bought a new derailleur last night at the second shop I tried a few minutes before they closed. This morning I realized I already had a spare at home. Put on the derailleur, replaced the housing near the derailleur, and noticed the brand new cable was frayed where it dangled when the hanger broke. Luckily I still had a spare front cable which was long enough for the rear so I used that and saved the rear which probably has enough good length for the front. I hate doing cables cuz I don't have a bike stand and it's internal, so I have to keep flipping the bike to various angles for each part of the fishing process. But I'm finally getting better/faster at derailleurs and cables.
Damn. Bad luck.

FWIW I have discovered misaligned hangers direct from the manufacturer. Do you have an alignment gauge?

I love the Abbey Bike Tools HAG. The Park Tool is OK but huge (I can travel to races easily with the Abbey version, which has proven valuable).

Maybe worth a check?
Old 05-06-18, 03:50 PM
tetonrider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gsteinb
I have aging/crash issues as well. Had a battery of medical exams to analyze memory loss/forgetfulness. Was some concern over CTE or Alzheimer's, seems the likely candidate is some other frontal lobe concussion syndrome. Need to go for yearly neuro-pysch workups to track it. That's basically 4-5 hours of doing various memory and logic tests.

Originally Posted by Ygduf
that is scary stuff. good luck
+1

Honestly, I don't find it particularly so.
with those memory issues, i have to ask: do you remember what you wrote above?

seriously, though, brain injuries and issues are scary to me. a TBI related to cycling (concussion, even) is my biggest fear. i'm honestly amazed you are able to be casual about it as I'm not sure I would be.

I'd wish you luck, but...
Old 05-06-18, 04:12 PM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 752 Times in 342 Posts
Originally Posted by tetonrider

+1

with those memory issues, i have to ask: do you remember what you wrote above?

seriously, though, brain injuries and issues are scary to me. a TBI related to cycling (concussion, even) is my biggest fear. i'm honestly amazed you are able to be casual about it as I'm not sure I would be.

I'd wish you luck, but...
I'm not sure casual is a word I'd use. It implies things that aren't accurate. However, scary? No. Fearing it isn't going to do anything, since there's no cure for such things. One needs to look at quality of life and such, and those sorts of reactions truly won't lead to anything positive.
Old 05-06-18, 04:14 PM
tetonrider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm not sure casual is a word I'd use. It implies things that aren't accurate. However, scary? No. Fearing it isn't going to do anything, since there's no cure for such things. One needs to look at quality of life and such, and those sorts of reactions truly won't lead to anything positive.
That's a highly-evolved attitude.

I'm afraid I'm not always there, especially with respect to health issues. Certain injuries and their resultant effects on our bodies (esp brain injuries) do scare me -- for myself and my friends.
Old 05-06-18, 04:28 PM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

30+ years of meditation?
Old 05-06-18, 04:58 PM
rideaz

Bikes: Giant TCR, Giant Anthem, Felt CX

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by topflightpro
Just got tickets to see The Descendents later this month.

I had been thinking about going, but was kind of sitting on the fence about getting tickets. But they are holding a sale right now - $20 all in for tickets to a bunch of shows this summer. So I jumped on it and got tickets to that and to see Weezer with The Pixies. (I have no idea how Weezer is the headliner over The Pixies. Sure, Weezer put out two really solid albums, but then just put out crap since. The Pixies, however, pretty much launched the entire Grunge/Alternative movement, but I digress.)

I just wish I had held off buying my Flogging Molly/Dropkick Murphy tickets.
We saw The Decendents in December, best live show I've been to in years! My son's first time in a mosh pit
Weezer are pretty good live too, I've seen them a couple of times and just bought tickets to that show because Pixies are one of my favorite bands and I've never seen them live.
Old 05-06-18, 04:59 PM
rideaz

Bikes: Giant TCR, Giant Anthem, Felt CX

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
I was just thinking about the Pixies the other day. There's sad piano version of Where Is My Mind, which I think was first used in The Social Network, which I've heard a couple of times on TV recently. Seems to be audio shorthand for sad and soulful reflection. I don't know what I'm supposed to think of that.
One of my favorite covers is Where is My Mind by Nada Surf.
Old 05-06-18, 05:02 PM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Saw the descendents in Disney in October.

Old 05-06-18, 08:22 PM
carpediemracing 

Took a 3 hour nap after breakfast this morning, after a solid 8 or 9 hours of sleep (woke up disoriented, was probably still in REM when Junior woke me up). After nap went downstairs to eat lunch, all normal, well rested. Couldn't get up from the chair without excruciating pain from my back. Took a couple Advil. Could barely make it back to bed, spent the rest of the day there. Came down at 7 or 7:30 because hungry, popped 4 more Advil, now I can walk somewhat normally.

Feel scattered due to various things happening, loss of some predictability due to losing 1/2 of the basement to the sewage overflow. Basement hallway and bikeroom were directly affected, the "office" and the furnace room are now jammed full of stuff, plus the guest room upstairs. All discombobulated.
Old 05-06-18, 09:09 PM
hack

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
milo goes to disney?
Old 05-07-18, 08:19 AM
MDcatV

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Flatballer
Also had our baby boy today. Mom and baby both good (and both sleeping). Life sure isn't boring lately.
congrats!
Old 05-07-18, 01:32 PM
hubcyclist

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh RX 1.0, 2018 Specialized Allez

Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 631 Times in 336 Posts
This is a totally random tech issue, I have a cheapish laptop (an acer switch) and regardless of browser, when I'm on youtube my mouse cursor starts randomly bouncing around and clicking whatever without my using the trackpad. And it pretty much only happens on youtube. So weird and annoying, and I doubt there's any specific fix out there.
Old 05-07-18, 04:02 PM
Enthalpic
Killing Rabbits

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 217 Times in 102 Posts
Originally Posted by hubcyclist
This is a totally random tech issue, I have a cheapish laptop (an acer switch) and regardless of browser, when I'm on youtube my mouse cursor starts randomly bouncing around and clicking whatever without my using the trackpad. And it pretty much only happens on youtube. So weird and annoying, and I doubt there's any specific fix out there.
Have you tried turning it off and back on?

Personally, I would disable the touchpad and use a real mouse.
Old 05-07-18, 04:46 PM
hubcyclist

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh RX 1.0, 2018 Specialized Allez

Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 631 Times in 336 Posts
Originally Posted by Enthalpic
Have you tried turning it off and back on?

Personally, I would disable the touchpad and use a real mouse.

I would have given you more points had you finished with this lol:

Old 05-07-18, 07:06 PM
carpediemracing 

I hate this "loading posts" thing. Takes me a while to figure out if I posted something or not (like "did I post something about blah blah blah before?", then I have no idea where it might be because my scroll bar is constantly shrinking). I have to figure out where the feedback page is, or if I can revert to a "n posts per page" default.

Anyway insurance people have been going through the house a bit. $8-10k damage conservatively speaking. All new flooring in the basement, a few pieces of furniture (credenza, tall wood cabinet), some sheetrock work upstairs and downstairs, and new floor in upstairs hallway (all of it) and bathroom (all of it), all bathroom furniture (very long vanity plus shelving unit). The furniture being replaced greedily sucked up the gross water.

I'm getting the feeling this won't be over for a while.

In other news I am mobile once again after throwing out my back trying to get up from eating lunch. Very twingy, I'm moving like there are vials of nitroglycerine tied around my waist. Very smooth, very slow, trying to keep torso upright.
Old 05-07-18, 10:40 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8191 Post(s)
Liked 8,849 Times in 4,396 Posts
Sorry to hear this stuff, cdr. As you know, I work at a new car dealer and have worked at dealers since 1989. These places will suck the life out of you and not give you much in return. I advise people to stay away if they can.

In other news, I crashed in bed Saturday night. Neighbor's dog (shrieking high pitched bark) kept waking me up. The fourth time I lunged for the window to yell at the dog and tried to catch the dresser with my arm but slipped off and hit my head on the edge and crumpled to the floor in a pool of blood. Cut the top of my ear pretty bad, elbow looks like road rash, aggravated my repaired shoulder and got a slight concussion. Afraid to go to sleep now.
Old 05-07-18, 11:01 PM
Enthalpic
Killing Rabbits

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 217 Times in 102 Posts
dang - you guys make my life seem easy.
Old 05-10-18, 03:55 AM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Uncharacteristically frustrated by my thumb. Cast came off, but the fracture still needs some healing. Worse is I don't have much range of motion (read:any) and it hurts when it pressure is applied from certain angles (like where hands meet bars or hoods). I had really really planned on doing a short hill climb Saturday to defend last year's win. But form isn't what it was, it's 3 hours driving each way for a 15 min race, and well, I'm more likely to get dropped from the lead group than win. Plus I'm in the no fall zone. My luck a junior's mom would take me out on the way to the porta-potty. Gotta head to OT and another month on the shelf. Last five weeks have learned me that you need a fully functioning thumb to get through it all. Sorry, that might have come out more upbeat than I feel! Drove out to the big lake with the dogs last night to watch water skiers and get ice cream. Dogs got kid sized soft serve. I had vanilla peanut butter cup. Guess I'm really not doing a hill climb this weekend. Sorry, Diary, this was CDR long. I'll do better next time.
Old 05-10-18, 05:51 AM
ntnyln

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 153 Times in 72 Posts
Last five weeks have learned me that you need a fully functioning thumb to get through it all.
To play the angel on the other shoulder/wet blanket for a moment, this is precisely why you should be a little more patient with the healing process. There are certain parts of our bodies that we can be a little more cavalier about (collarbones for the most part) but for others If it does not heal correctly, you can be in for a lifetime of discomfort or irritation doing your favorite activities. The short term benefits don't always outweigh the long term costs.
Old 05-10-18, 06:27 AM
Flatballer
No matches

Bikes: two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1398 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 250 Posts
Uncharacteristically frustrated by my thumb. Cast came off, but the fracture still needs some healing. Worse is I don't have much range of motion (read:any) and it hurts when it pressure is applied from certain angles (like where hands meet bars or hoods). I had really really planned on doing a short hill climb Saturday to defend last year's win. But form isn't what it was, it's 3 hours driving each way for a 15 min race, and well, I'm more likely to get dropped from the lead group than win. Plus I'm in the no fall zone. My luck a junior's mom would take me out on the way to the porta-potty. Gotta head to OT and another month on the shelf. Last five weeks have learned me that you need a fully functioning thumb to get through it all. Sorry, that might have come out more upbeat than I feel! Drove out to the big lake with the dogs last night to watch water skiers and get ice cream. Dogs got kid sized soft serve. I had vanilla peanut butter cup. Guess I'm really not doing a hill climb this weekend. Sorry, Diary, this was CDR long. I'll do better next time.
The thumb is one of the main reasons humans are in charge. So yeah, it's pretty useful. Let it heal so you don't end up with pain the rest of your life when you try to open a jar.
Old 05-10-18, 06:57 AM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Does anybody else hate this new board?

Yeah, I have no intention of rushing this injury back. My expectations just weren't calibrated properly. Given the form I had it's quite a let down to not have capitalized on it. In the scheme of things it's pretty meaningless, but in the small sandbox of 'hobby' it's disappointing.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.