Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals.
Reload this Page >

1974 Raleigh Super Tourer - thinking of selling

Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-21, 09:34 AM
the sci guy 
bill nyecycles

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 789 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts

Hey all,
I'm thinking of selling my Super Tourer. I don't ride it much and there are other bikes I actually want and want to ride that could use a space in the stable. It's in good shape, and has some original parts. I've also kept more of the original parts like the hubs, freewheel, and stem shifters in case anyone who bought it wanted to restore it even more. The frame is in pretty good shape. There a bunch of rust pocking on the chrome parts of the frame/fork but I've cleaned & buffed & waxed them and they look pretty good. Some fading on the frame, but mostly good. The decals are not great but I can't find replacements on any of the usual websites - the Super Tourer just wasn't popular enough I suppose...

What would be a good price to set this at on something like FB Marketplace, etc?

original parts still on it or have to sell with:
Huret front & rear derailleurs
Stronglight crankset
GB stem
Maillard 700 front/rear hubs
Maillard Atom 70 freewheel
Huret stem mount shifters
Carlton branded levers

New parts:
Sun CR18 wheels
Shimano uniglide 5 spd freewheel
seatpost
Brooks B17
Brooks grips
Soma Late Riser bar
Tektro FL750 levers
Tektro R539 calipers
NOS Huret downtube shifters
headset & BB - these were shop installed so I don't know what exact parts they used

Pics:

MORE PICS coming in 2nd post....

Last edited by the sci guy; 05-21-21 at 12:43 PM.
Old 05-21-21, 09:37 AM
the sci guy 
bill nyecycles

More pics showing condition of the frame

Old 05-21-21, 02:26 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
That's a great build. It's going to be tough for you to recoup your investment in this bike. I'd likely sell the bits and pieces separately as most of them have a value.

There's a mechanic I know locally who has a green Mercian for sale that is built like yours as an upright city bike. It is not in as good as condition as yours though but it certainly has nice parts (TA crank, campagnolo rally rear derailleur, rebuilt wheels, etc.). It has been on Facebook for months at $450. Granted I'm in the middle of Iowa which is not a hot market but I reckon most folks who are willing to ride old bikes aren't looking to pay a premium since they typically want to do their own work.
Old 05-21-21, 02:46 PM
juvela

Mentioned: 415 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3803 Post(s)
Liked 3,324 Times in 2,170 Posts
-----

saving of oem bits removed is a plus for both value and salability

would think most shoppers looking for one of these would prefer an oem example...

-----
Old 05-23-21, 03:40 PM
the sci guy 
bill nyecycles

Originally Posted by bikemig
That's a great build. It's going to be tough for you to recoup your investment in this bike. I'd likely sell the bits and pieces separately as most of them have a value.

There's a mechanic I know locally who has a green Mercian for sale that is built like yours as an upright city bike. It is not in as good as condition as yours though but it certainly has nice parts (TA crank, campagnolo rally rear derailleur, rebuilt wheels, etc.). It has been on Facebook for months at $450. Granted I'm in the middle of Iowa which is not a hot market but I reckon most folks who are willing to ride old bikes aren't looking to pay a premium since they typically want to do their own work.
The original model was built with riser bars / upright bike. I think a lot of shops put drop bars on them eventually but the way I have it built is more true to form. Hoping someone will want to snag it because of it's rarity. But, I still don't know how much to ask for it. I'm not worried about recouping my costs - i built this about 3 years ago and I didn't have to spend too much so the money is a wash anyway.
Old 05-23-21, 08:24 PM
rgvg
Car free since 2018

Bikes: Mostly japanese ones

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 269 Times in 134 Posts
You could try to post it in the c&v sales forum. I know I'd be interested, but not sure if I can afford it...
Old 05-24-21, 06:42 AM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3804 Post(s)
Liked 6,642 Times in 2,602 Posts
Probably not helpful, but I sold a 23” Super Tourer, pretty much all original, on eBay in 2011 for $760.
Old 05-24-21, 06:55 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
$500 for a local sale, maybe more. A lot depends on whether there is a buyer who really likes the idea of retrofitting an old bike like this. I'd swap out the derailleurs for suntour which will shift better in any case. Take all the original bits and pieces and sell them. The hubs, derailleurs (especially as a complete set), and brake levers with the carlton hoods are worth some money.

This bike is a resto mod and the derailleurs don't really add much value to the build. But by busting up the valuable parts from the build, you should be able to maximize your return and get rid of this fairly quickly. The bike will go on a local sale; sells the bits here where there is a market for those items.

Does this bike have a stronglight triple length spindle (125 mm)? I believe it does and those are becoming increasigly difficult to find.

Last edited by bikemig; 05-24-21 at 07:07 AM.
Old 05-24-21, 10:01 AM
Slowride79

Bikes: 50s, 60s, 70s Nottingham/Worksop bikes, becanes, Gitane, Bertin, Lion of Sochaux

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 120 Times in 75 Posts
The only thing missing to make completely original are handle bars and brakes which Can be found if patient.
I disagree on stripping it of original parts and selling separate. The original parts are part of the character.
if I didn’t already have one that is completely stock i would be in the market but would not be interested without all/most of the original parts.
certainly you could start at 500 but not sure it would sell at that price save maybe west coast. I saw one all original on west cost local CL for around 250 in 2019. Even had fenders. Maybe that was cheap but was on market for a while. I’ve seen them for sale for more but what they actually sold for I don’t know
btw- nice bike and good luck!
Old 05-24-21, 01:52 PM
the sci guy 
bill nyecycles

I had the original Weinmann brakes but they didn't work well (for me) that's why I swapped them out. They ended up in the Box 'o' Crap - last year. I think they are still there lol
Old 05-27-21, 01:36 PM
Gary12000 

Bikes: '71 Raleigh Inter, '98 Tommasini, '83 Trek 500, 83 Trek 720 '

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 110 Posts
PM sent..