Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Remind me what to use to create a map to load into my garmin edge 530?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 09-15-21, 06:18 PM
Porknz

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts

I can't remember what free online software I used to point and click a map that I could load into my edge 530. Thanks for any suggestions.
Old 09-15-21, 06:53 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3078 Post(s)
Liked 1,631 Times in 1,005 Posts
RideWithGPS.com
Likes For chaadster:
Old 09-15-21, 08:14 PM
gpburdell

Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked 196 Times in 130 Posts
You can also create routes on Garmin Connect and send them to your 530.

Login to https://connect.Garmin.com then go to Training->Courses and create a new one. Also works in the phone app but interface isn’t great.
Likes For gpburdell:
Old 09-16-21, 10:25 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,732 Times in 3,262 Posts
You can also ride what you want to make a route and convert it to a course on your Garmin Edge 530.

I too say ridewithgps.com. I've always favored their course creation tools over Strava or Garmin Connect since I got my edge 500 back circa 2010.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 09-16-21, 12:30 PM
Elvo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 206 Posts
Garmin Connect
Likes For Elvo:
Old 09-17-21, 11:32 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2512 Post(s)
Liked 5,430 Times in 2,827 Posts
Originally Posted by Elvo
Garmin Connect
Looked at Garmin connect. For the privilege of using their app, they want access to your contacts and much more. Their products are not cheap and they are making more money marketing your data.

Old 09-18-21, 08:54 AM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4222 Post(s)
Liked 1,322 Times in 916 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
Looked at Garmin connect. For the privilege of using their app, they want access to your contacts and much more. Their products are not cheap and they are making more money marketing your data.

It's optional.

It also serves a legitimate purpose for some people.

What evidence do you have that Garmin is "marketing your data"?
Likes For njkayaker:
Old 09-18-21, 11:41 AM
Porknz

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Tried ridewithgps, and I seemed to end up with a few more miles that the 101 the paper map I got suggested. Otherwise it seemed to work well. I can't seem to get the file to my garmin however, so I'm now trying garmin connect, but I'm running into a problem where when I backtrack over a route, it's not calculating the mileage and I'm worried it's not working correctly.
Old 09-18-21, 11:56 AM
Porknz

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Garmin Connect seemed easier. I believe I was able to make that and load it to my 530 without too much trouble. One more tick off of my list before my first century ride tomorrow! :/
Old 09-18-21, 03:06 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Originally Posted by njkayaker

What evidence do you have that Garmin is "marketing your data"?
A copy/paste directly from the Garmin website disclosure: “From time to time, we share or sell activity data in a de-identified and aggregated manner with or to companies that provide Garmin and our customers with content or features for the purpose of enhancing the quality of the content or features they provide and with or to other third parties for research or other purposes.”

You may or may not be directly identified but your data is being used and that may be OK with you. Coming from 20 years in I.T. management of a Fortune top 10 firm, I have zero faith in most companies charitable capture of personal data. I have zero issue with you feeling otherwise.

Old 09-18-21, 03:41 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,910 Times in 1,884 Posts
is there a way to send a previously tracked route from the smart device/phone's location to the bicycle computer?
Old 09-21-21, 09:33 AM
ExPatTyke

Bikes: Gitane Course, Paris Sport, Peugeot AO8, Peugeot Bretagne, Peugeot Premiere 85, Peugeot Premiere 86, Peugeot ANC Halfords Team Replica, Peugeot Festina Team Replica, Motobecane Grand Sport, Motobecane Super 15, Raleigh Pro Race, Raleigh Stratos, BSA

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 427 Times in 90 Posts
Originally Posted by Troul
is there a way to send a previously tracked route from the smart device/phone's location to the bicycle computer?
If it's a ride recorded on Strava or MapMyRide export the GPX file (or TCX - I think that exports from MMR are TCX), then import the file into RWGPS.

Assuming your bike computer's a Garmin send your route to the Garmin as a FIT file from RWGPS - I find this works pretty flawlessly.

This works for me - other people may have another way of doing it depending on the system used to record and the model of the computer.
Old 09-21-21, 10:26 AM
Troul 

no, it's the location tracking within the phone. If you go to the google settings (if turned on) you can see where you've traveled.
Old 09-21-21, 10:49 AM
ExPatTyke

Bikes: Gitane Course, Paris Sport, Peugeot AO8, Peugeot Bretagne, Peugeot Premiere 85, Peugeot Premiere 86, Peugeot ANC Halfords Team Replica, Peugeot Festina Team Replica, Motobecane Grand Sport, Motobecane Super 15, Raleigh Pro Race, Raleigh Stratos, BSA

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 427 Times in 90 Posts
Ok, I've had to do this once when Strava stopped working. It's a bit convoluted but it just about works, although the distances might not be 100% and there may be straight lines between points. If you used other forms of travel during the day they'll be recorded too, and you'll need to use a GPX editor to cut them out.

Firstly log into Google and go to Google Maps on your computer - I don't know if this'll work on a phone.

Click on the three bar menu at the top left, then click on Your Timeline on the list the comes down.

Now use the dropdown arrows at the top left to select the date you want.

You'll get a map showing all your travel for the day in question.

Click on the gear wheel at the bottom centre of the screen and select Export this day to KML.

Save the KML file to your PC, then import it into RWGPS. Once the file is in RWGPS you can edit it as necessary, and then export it to your Garmin, Wahoo, or whatever.
Likes For ExPatTyke:
Old 09-21-21, 10:57 AM
Troul 

i should've known that! lol

That process does blow like a cheap tube, but it'll work. Only if google made it easier to provide a direct link (file) to download into the wahoo/garmin.
Old 09-21-21, 05:20 PM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4222 Post(s)
Liked 1,322 Times in 916 Posts
A copy/paste directly from the Garmin website disclosure: “From time to time, we share or sell activity data in a de-identified and aggregated manner with or to companies that provide Garmin and our customers with content or features for the purpose of enhancing the quality of the content or features they provide and with or to other third parties for research or other purposes.”
Garmin says they de-identify it. If you are going to use Garmin's words, you can't cherry pick them (pointing out that "or other purposes" like that's some sort of nefarious admission).

You may or may not be directly identified but your data is being used and that may be OK with you. Coming from 20 years in I.T. management of a Fortune top 10 firm, I have zero faith in most companies charitable capture of personal data. I have zero issue with you feeling otherwise.
If you have "zero faith", it doesn't make much sense you'd be posting here (or any where or using the internet generally).

Last edited by njkayaker; 09-21-21 at 05:37 PM.
Old 09-21-21, 05:39 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Originally Posted by njkayaker
Garmin says they de-identify it. If you are going to use Garmin's words, you can't cherry pick them (pointing out that "or other purposes" like that's some sort of nefarious admission).

If you have "zero faith", it doesn't make much sense you'd be posting here (or any where or using the internet generally).
You are entirely correct in all your statements. Have a good evening.

Likes For rsbob: