Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

ultegra8000 vs chorus12

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

ultegra8000 vs chorus12

Old 09-27-21, 11:12 AM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2304 Post(s)
Liked 2,742 Times in 1,499 Posts
ultegra8000 vs chorus12

As usual I am probably overthinking, and while not strictly C&V I know the people here have a broad range of experience.
I am looking to get an Ultergra 8000 group to stash for a planned build before they get hard to find as the new group is electronic only

but thought to see what peoples experience was with modern campy (chorus is similar pricepoint) vs the the ultegra

it will also be interesting to see if campy goes all electronic in it's top line products in the future......

thx

Old 09-27-21, 11:37 AM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
I used campy on my last couple of brifter builds and don't see myself ever going back to shimano. It's all what you're used to I guess.
Old 09-27-21, 12:30 PM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1871 Post(s)
Liked 689 Times in 467 Posts
Originally Posted by squirtdad
As usual I am probably overthinking, and while not strictly C&V I know the people here have a broad range of experience.
I am looking to get an Ultergra 8000 group to stash for a planned build before they get hard to find as the new group is electronic only

but thought to see what peoples experience was with modern campy (chorus is similar pricepoint) vs the the ultegra

it will also be interesting to see if campy goes all electronic in it's top line products in the future......

thx
Unless you have a bunch of Campy wheels/freehubs I'd probably look at Campy 11s since you can use shimano freehubs/cassettes. Otherwise, I don't see why you wouldn't do well with whatever direction you decide to go.
Old 09-27-21, 12:32 PM
himespau 

Quoted: 4199 Post(s)
Liked 2,914 Times in 1,782 Posts
Originally Posted by shoota
Unless you have a bunch of Campy wheels/freehubs I'd probably look at Campy 11s since you can use shimano freehubs/cassettes. Otherwise, I don't see why you wouldn't do well with whatever direction you decide to go.
Is 12 speed brand-specific spacing again?
Old 09-27-21, 01:59 PM
nlerner

Mentioned: 480 Post(s)
Quoted: 3788 Post(s)
Liked 6,575 Times in 2,580 Posts
Clearly the answer is Shimergo! 11-speed Campy ergo brifters and 9-speed Shimano cassette and mechs play perfectly together. Fwiw, I really like the feel of Campy ergo. I don't dislike whatever versions of Shimano I've had (currently 105 10-speed), but just like the feel and action of Campy mo betta.
Likes For nlerner:
Old 09-27-21, 02:09 PM
shoota 

Quoted: 1871 Post(s)
Liked 689 Times in 467 Posts
Originally Posted by himespau
That's my understanding but don't take my word for it that's for sure.
Old 09-27-21, 05:14 PM
himespau 

Quoted: 4199 Post(s)
Liked 2,914 Times in 1,782 Posts
Originally Posted by nlerner
Clearly the answer is Shimergo! 11-speed Campy ergo brifters and 9-speed Shimano cassette and mechs play perfectly together. Fwiw, I really like the feel of Campy ergo. I don't dislike whatever versions of Shimano I've had (currently 105 10-speed), but just like the feel and action of Campy mo betta.
But why do shimergo when you can also use Campagnolo mechs and just a shimano 11 speed cassette exactly as is? Other than price of course - that's an argument I can totally see. I'm going to build up a new bike for my daughter and am debating using my last set of 10 speed campagnolo shifters to do a 10-8 speed Shimergo setup because I already have the shifters or just save those and get some Microshift for her because she won't ride enough to know the difference anyway, so why use up my last precious set.
Old 09-27-21, 05:39 PM
nlerner

Mentioned: 480 Post(s)
Quoted: 3788 Post(s)
Liked 6,575 Times in 2,580 Posts
But why do shimergo when you can also use Campagnolo mechs and just a shimano 11 speed cassette exactly as is? Other than price of course - that's an argument I can totally see. I'm going to build up a new bike for my daughter and am debating using my last set of 10 speed campagnolo shifters to do a 10-8 speed Shimergo setup because I already have the shifters or just save those and get some Microshift for her because she won't ride enough to know the difference anyway, so why use up my last precious set.
Oh, you're totally right, and I'm actually running Campy Potenza 11-speed ergo brifters with a Shimano 11-speed cassette and a Campy Potenza RD on my main rider. I did learn, however, that not all Shimano 11-speed cassettes are spaced the same as there's a difference between "road" and "mtb" versions, enough to throw the shifting off (which I learned when I installed a larger capacity mtb version with my road setup).

But Shimergo is great if you already have the Shimano gear on hand, and it's wonderfully flexible across a wide range of Shimano RDs. I have a couple of bikes set up with a 8-speed cassette w/ 32-max cog, an XTR RD, and Campy Veloce 10-speed brifters. Excellent stuff.
Likes For nlerner:
Old 09-28-21, 03:46 AM
th0m

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 17 Posts
I've had R8000 (both mechanical and Di2) and 12-speed Chorus and they're both excellent. No complaints. I have a preference for Chorus though because of ergonomics. I also find the Campag thumb lever to be a slightly better solution on mechanical groupsets.
Old 09-28-21, 10:26 AM
johnnyace 
Le savonnier

Bikes: I can count 'em on one hand

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 729 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 269 Posts
Originally Posted by shoota
That's my understanding but don't take my word for it that's for sure.
I have also heard the same.

Re: Ultegra 8000 vs. Chorus 12: I went with SRAM Force for my upcoming Hampsten.
Likes For johnnyace: