Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

Gonna get some aero bars

Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Gonna get some aero bars

Old 10-22-18, 01:35 PM
cmh

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 327 Times in 161 Posts
Gonna get some aero bars

What do you recommend and why?

Do some aero bars tend to feel flexy when sprinting? I think that would be disconcerting, so I'd probably want something fairly stiff. Are some more comfy in an IAB position?

Thanks.
Old 10-22-18, 01:58 PM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Bikes: Affirmative

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 237 Posts
I don't find aero bars any more or less stiff than any other bar shape. It really depends on the manufacturer, just like any other bar.

If you're looking to do IAB you'll want something that is flattish on top. I ride an Aerofly and I find it very stable and comfortable doing the IAB thing. I used to use an Aeronova and the tops slope downward from the stem which makes IAB uncomfortable and squirrely, but it had a really comfy notching thing going on where the bars bend forward that makes a sphinx style position really nice and quite low. The Aeronova's reach is pretty long too so you get decent support along the whole forearm. The downside is, when you sprint you'll more than likely bump your wrists. Sphinx is obviously doable on the aeroflys as well but it cradles your forearms less when you're doing it.

So really it's just a style choice. Whichever way you prefer to get aero is the way you should go. Eastons and Zipps are pretty flat on top as well.
Old 10-22-18, 03:47 PM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 675 Times in 427 Posts
I went Easton EC70 because of the price.
Old 10-22-18, 04:26 PM
mattm
**** that

Mentioned: 151 Post(s)
Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 30 Posts
zipp sl70 (or whatever the model is) are very flat on the tops, but very slippery when you’re sweaty in the IAB position.

And you don’t want to wrap the tops to keep the bars aero, at least that’s what I hear.

Those at least are plenty stiff.

my race videos
Old 10-22-18, 06:20 PM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
I have 40cm 3T Aeronovas (36cm at the hoods). Super comfortable, very long reach. crazy flexy.

Also have 38cm Zipp SL70. Much stiffer, much shorter reach, pretty comfortable too, but doesn't cradle your wrists like the aeronovas.

I'm not an IAB person but with the narrow bars, your elbows are inside your hips anyway and you can get a pretty dialed position and actually take corners hot without having to move your hands back and forth.

Downside to both is internal cable routing. Bleh.

Last edited by rubiksoval; 10-22-18 at 07:26 PM.
Old 10-22-18, 08:17 PM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

Bikes: Tarmac, Why Cycles R+, Evil The Calling

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 87 Posts
I've had two sets. Vision Metron 4d and the ENVE aero bar. The ENVE is miles above the vision bars. I've got friends with the alloy bontrager aero bar and that is probably what I'll get next.
Old 10-22-18, 09:14 PM
mattm
**** that

Mentioned: 151 Post(s)
Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by rubiksoval
I have 40cm 3T Aeronovas (36cm at the hoods). Super comfortable, very long reach. crazy flexy.

Also have 38cm Zipp SL70. Much stiffer, much shorter reach, pretty comfortable too, but doesn't cradle your wrists like the aeronovas.

I'm not an IAB person but with the narrow bars, your elbows are inside your hips anyway and you can get a pretty dialed position and actually take corners hot without having to move your hands back and forth.

Downside to both is internal cable routing. Bleh.
Don’t all aero bars have internal routing? I would think they would have to.

my race videos
Old 10-23-18, 08:53 AM
cmh

Thanks for all the suggestions. What are your experiences going with narrower bars? Anyone try narrower bars and go back? I'm on 42cm bars, so I'd probably drop to 40cm.
Old 10-23-18, 01:39 PM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

The current zeitgeist is to go narrow as possible, but my impression is that it is the new "slam your stem / flip it". Go with whatever allows you to be reasonably comfortably aero so you can do it for the whole race instead of for 5min til your triceps buckle and you have to lock your arms.
Old 10-23-18, 03:19 PM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bikes: aggressive agreement is what I ride.

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by TheKillerPenguin
but my impression is that it is the new "slam your stem / flip it".
yes. I have 40cm bars waiting to replace my 44s to attach to my -30 stem. do both!
Old 10-23-18, 04:47 PM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
Originally Posted by mattm

Don’t all aero bars have internal routing? I would think they would have to.
I had a junky al pair that was aeroish that just had a groove for the two cables on the underside to complete the "air foil" shape or whatever. A bit nicer in that arena.

Internal cable routing is just such a pain anyway. Spent over two hours the other day swapping my aeronovas and sl70s.from one bike to the other. Of course the cable housing was too short for one and too long for the other. And both bikes themselves are internal. Just irritating as hell. Love it the other 99% of the time I'm using it, of course, but eh.
Old 10-23-18, 11:21 PM
tetonrider

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Quoted: 693 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The current zeitgeist is to go narrow as possible, but my impression is that it is the new "slam your stem / flip it".
I would not agree with this, although I can see why you feel this way. Narrow is more aero (=why narrow wheels still rule at low yaw); lower is not always more aero because people can't really change the angle of their lower back. Lowering the front end doesn't change that back angle -- and often other stuff rises (e.g., head/shoulders) to offset it.

If one can ride narrow, they probably should (from an aero perspective); if one can ride lower... MAYBE they should.

Zipp SL70 = stiff. 3T aerobars... pretty flexy.
Old 10-24-18, 06:04 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 675 Times in 427 Posts
Originally Posted by tetonrider
I would not agree with this, although I can see why you feel this way. Narrow is more aero (=why narrow wheels still rule at low yaw); lower is not always more aero because people can't really change the angle of their lower back. Lowering the front end doesn't change that back angle -- and often other stuff rises (e.g., head/shoulders) to offset it.

If one can ride narrow, they probably should (from an aero perspective); if one can ride lower... MAYBE they should.

And bent elbows are more aero than straight arms - so having you bars higher with bent elbows is better than lower bars with straight arms.
Old 10-24-18, 07:27 AM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Originally Posted by tetonrider

Ehhh I guess probably for most? I'm all limbs, so my fitter focused on keeping my arms inline and getting them longer to negate the aero penalty for being lanky. This meant sticking with relatively wide bars so I don't flare my elbows, but going with a longer stem and raising the front end a bit.
Old 10-24-18, 10:28 AM
cmh

Again - thanks for the replies. I think I'll just jump in and get a pair of 40cm aero bars likely the SL70s. I could always sell them if they feel too narrow, although these things are pricey.
Old 10-25-18, 12:48 AM
tetonrider

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Quoted: 693 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ehhh I guess probably for most? I'm all limbs, so my fitter focused on keeping my arms inline and getting them longer to negate the aero penalty for being lanky. This meant sticking with relatively wide bars so I don't flare my elbows, but going with a longer stem and raising the front end a bit.
Without comment on your particular fitter, it is my experience that there are very few fitters in the world with actual aero experience, but -- further -- the eyeball is not a great predictor.

The situation is complex as one adjustment can sometimes affect others (e.g., front end goes lower, neck comes up). Some folks can ride with narrow elbows (or train themselves to do so), others cannot.

Sometimes one can learn to sort of turn their elbows in instead of the outward flare you describe. Might be worth trying.

All else equal, narrow is faster. Sometimes shoulders up, neck down also reduces frontal area and can be accomplished with narrow(er) bars.

YMMV.
Old 11-01-18, 02:43 PM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3374 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
Stems matter a lot in the stiffness equation. IMO*, more than bars. But you asked about bars.
For log event (TTs) IAB there are tricks with sticky tape or 3M 77 spray.
Flexy <> strong. think "unbreakable comb"
As in most things - It depends on application.

I like the ENVE SES although they are kinda pricey.
They have flared drops and you reduce the chance of hitting forearms on the bars. They are pretty stiff. The IAB position is comfortable. The cable routing is internal and exits rear near stem.
We bought them for junior and collegiate TTs which are IAB based as TT bikes are not allowed.

The Aerofly is very stiff and matt surface. Without tricks it will give better IAB adhesion. They also make a rise stem which offers a bar rise without stem or head tube stack rise. In extreme IAB you can put your forearms in the valley. MOst cannot do this. I'm just mentioning.

The Ritchey Solostreem is an integrated bar stem. There is a carbon plate under the bars to keep the cables in. The bars flex so much that that plate often (2 for 2) comes loose. It is a strong, but very flexy setup. Doing Paris-Roubaix good choice.

FSA makes stiff bars. They are not as flat on top and tend to be gloss. My kid does not use them, I do - not racing.

*I have had about 8 or so aero bars the last 4 years. I am not a racer, but my kid is and I am around a lot of those racer types. I am big (fat) strong - I just am, little to do with speed, and really notice bar flex. I re-purposed the solostreem for me on the tandem as they are areo and comfy.
Race with the aerofly or the SES. Choose stem according to application.

Last edited by Doge; 11-01-18 at 03:07 PM.
Old 02-01-19, 02:47 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Bumping this because I want to replace my stock shallow drop bars with a more traditional round bend. I thought there must be a bar that has a traditional bend *and* an aero top. Looks like the Ritchey WCS Carbon Streem II ticks those boxes, but it's pretty spendy: https://us.ritcheylogic.com/us_en/wc...-di2-handlebar

Is there a similar bar that's more affordable?
Old 02-01-19, 03:46 PM
echappist
fuggitivo solitario

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
3t Aerotundo (out of production, plus there's the issue of 2cm extra reach)
Zipp Vuka Sprint classic bend (good luck trying to find one of these)

Excel has the Ritchey for $240. Considering that I bought my Vuka Sprint classic bend for $200 (and it was used), it's not a bad price. Also this thing allows you to use the RS910 Junction box (goes into the bar end), which is a nice touch for Di2