Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

mudguards that look good

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

mudguards that look good

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-20, 02:38 PM
Bill in VA

Bikes: Current: 2016 Bianchi Volpe; 1973 Peugeot UO-8. Past: 1974 Fuji S-10-S with custom black Imron paint by Stinsman Racing of PA.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 142 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
I'm still looking for the elusive yellow road width fender of high quality. In the past 50 years I've never seen a pair. I have heard that they were made around 20 years ago and had talked to a shop employee with a pair and a store owner who used to sell them.

My best bike is a custom painted bright red, I intended from day one to put on yellow fenders to have a visible bike in the low sun, low cloud days so common over the next 5 months in western Oregon. SKS has heard my wishes but told me they cannot do yellow with the technology of their silver fenders. I currently am riding painted black SKSs but the paint chips off easily. Probably I can get epoxy in the right color but I keep wondering, should I as a consumer have to work that hard for something as practical and safe as visible fenders? It used to be that you could go to any bike store and by white fenders. Even that is hard now. I have seen exactly one white pair of Planet Bike road width fenders. That pair is on my city bike;

Vent, vent
Painting the plastic fenders would require the paint to have a significant elastomer or plasticizer content in the paint to allow bending and flexing and impacts to not create chips and cracks in the paint surface which leads to water and air getting under the paint and causing flaking.. I have not seen that available in a rattle can, but it is routine for autobody shops, who use it on bumpers and airdams and spoilers made of ABS plastic or fiberglass/carbon fiber. Possibly a custom motorcycle shop could do it.

Aluminum needs special primers for good adhesion.

Good luck, the yellow/red combo does sound like it would both look right and achieve visibility in your area.
Old 10-26-20, 02:54 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 896 Post(s)
Liked 2,062 Times in 1,080 Posts
Originally Posted by Kapusta
I had never seriously considered fenders for my Fog Cutter until seeing this. Good Lord, that is hot. Are these the color matched Tanaka fenders from Soma?

Unfortunately, Soma botched the fender mount on my frame.
Yes, it's the Tanaka fenders. The color match is perfect.

I think it looks great. It's a bit flashier than my normal style, but I'm getting used to positive comments from strangers.

I'm not crazy about the look of the rear fender stay mounting - halfway up the seat stays. If that's what they botched, I wouldn't feel so bag about p-clips located further down, or using the rack lugs if you won't have a rack.
Likes For downtube42:
Old 10-26-20, 02:58 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by downtube42
Yes, it's the Tanaka fenders. The color match is perfect.

I think it looks great. It's a bit flashier than my normal style, but I'm getting used to positive comments from strangers.

I'm not crazy about the look of the rear fender stay mounting - halfway up the seat stays. If that's what they botched, I wouldn't feel so bag about p-clips located further down, or using the rack lugs if you won't have a rack.
Yeah, it is the seat stay fender mount they botched. If I do get a fender, I'll probably double up on the rack mount bolt (I do have a rack).
Old 10-26-20, 02:58 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4802 Post(s)
Liked 3,922 Times in 2,551 Posts
Originally Posted by Bill in VA
Painting the plastic fenders would require the paint to have a significant elastomer or plasticizer content in the paint to allow bending and flexing and impacts to not create chips and cracks in the paint surface which leads to water and air getting under the paint and causing flaking.. I have not seen that available in a rattle can, but it is routine for autobody shops, who use it on bumpers and airdams and spoilers made of ABS plastic or fiberglass/carbon fiber. Possibly a custom motorcycle shop could do it.

Aluminum needs special primers for good adhesion.

Good luck, the yellow/red combo does sound like it would both look right and achieve visibility in your area.
Good idea! Thanks. That sounds like an easy (though I'm guessing not all that cheap) way to get exactly the color I want done right. I'll get some brand new fenders to go that route. (Some of my dollars going to EU Germany while the Trump trade wars are being waged. Interesting. More $$s going to a very local small business.)
Old 10-26-20, 09:08 PM
frogman

Bikes: Wife says I have too many :-)

Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 250 Times in 158 Posts
Originally Posted by Ferrouscious
Properly installed full-coverage mudguards can look quite sleek. The key word is "properly". Look at SKS Longboards and Velo Orange mudguards as a starting point.

Very nice indeed !

Why is there a digital clock on the floor under the bike ?
Old 10-26-20, 09:11 PM
frogman

Bikes: Wife says I have too many :-)

Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 250 Times in 158 Posts
Originally Posted by Germany_chris
You really do want full coverage fenders not just a beaver tail.

I run full metal fenders over 44mm tires. If I didn稚 have space between the seat stays I壇 trim them since aluminum is stiff enough to take without rattling or getting flimsy.

Ah, you have the solution ! There is so much "stuff" on the bike you don't even notice the fenders.
Old 10-27-20, 12:29 AM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1974 Post(s)
Liked 1,298 Times in 630 Posts
Originally Posted by subgrade
There is no such thing as good looking fenders. Some can be less jarring to the eye, but the most effective ones are usually the ugliest, sadly.
I'd say exactly the opposite. The ugliest fenders, by far, are the cut-up clip-ons that are never long enough, offer poor side coverage, and flop and rattle all over the place. The amount of praise that my befendered bikes get from passersby for their beferendered aesthetic tends to increase with the functionality of the fenders.

This one's fenders draw frequent praise:

This one less so, but it's come up a few times:

And while this bike occasionally gets aesthetic praise, and while the fenders are definitely a part of its aesthetic, I'm not sure that anybody has ever specifically commented on how great the fenders look. And certainly, people riding behind me in the rain aren't fans: those 2.1" slicks pick up a lot of water, and although the rear mudflap does a good job of protecting the person behind the person behind me, it does nothing at all for the person behind me.

Likes For HTupolev:
Old 10-27-20, 01:18 AM
Germany_chris
I知 a little Surly

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, a Karate Monkey, a Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 1,294 Times in 647 Posts
Originally Posted by frogman
Ah, you have the solution ! There is so much "stuff" on the bike you don't even notice the fenders.
It's an SUV
Old 10-27-20, 03:56 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2482 Post(s)
Liked 2,952 Times in 1,677 Posts
Originally Posted by subgrade
There is no such thing as good looking fenders.
Exhibit A:

Likes For Trakhak:
Old 10-27-20, 06:55 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6950 Post(s)
Liked 10,958 Times in 4,685 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
At the risk of turning this into a Hot or Not thread....

1. That bag and bar tape couldn't clash any worse than they do.

2. Water bottles don't match.

3. Overall theme is black/grey/silver, right down to the saddle and (non-matching) water bottle, so the gum wall tires stick out like sore thumbs. (See Mo's bike above for the proper way to add a splash to an overall black/grey/silver scheme.)
And here I thought the thread was about fenders.
Old 10-27-20, 07:19 AM
CargoDane
Not a newbie to cycling

Bikes: Omnium Cargo Ti with Rohloff, Bullitt Milk Plus, Dahon Smooth Hound

Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 199 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
And here I thought the thread was about fenders.
Well, to be fair, it's about fenders "looking good", so it's more about fenders matching or contrasting the bike or some bike parts, so it sort of is in the ballpark.
Old 10-27-20, 07:43 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3587 Post(s)
Liked 3,398 Times in 1,932 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
I'm still looking for the elusive yellow road width fender of high quality. In the past 50 years I've never seen a pair. I have heard that they were made around 20 years ago and had talked to a shop employee with a pair and a store owner who used to sell them.
Bluemels used to make a yellow mudguard, but I suspect you'll need to peruse the vintage marketplace, be patient, and/or be prepared to spend a lot of money.

NOS YELLOW Bluemels Club Special Fenders Mudguards & STAYS - $229.99 : Geros1968 VINTAGE PARTS, Geros1968 since 2000 helps you TO FIND VINTAGE PARTS for your Vehicle - Many genuine NOS Parts are waiting for you.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
m47-2.JPG (25.9 KB, 123 views)

Last edited by JohnDThompson; 10-27-20 at 07:48 AM.
Old 10-27-20, 08:17 AM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2010 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 234 Posts
Gotta admit I like the look of fenders on a bike. I have them on my commuters. Top one is SKS Longboards which have the best coverage, IMO, with long front splash guards. The bottom one are SKS as well, but lack a long enough splash guard. I had to DIY a set.

Old 10-27-20, 08:36 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2601 Post(s)
Liked 1,925 Times in 1,208 Posts
Other than the purple tape and bag, I would say it all works very well.

Of course, that is like saying other than starting the El Dorado wildfire, the Gender Reveal Party went very well.
Ah, it's all a matter of taste. I saw this one in the shop and thought I'd had some bad curry for lunch, but apparently some Seahawks fans like it. (Note how the gawd-awful fender color matches the stem and panels!)

Likes For pdlamb:
Old 10-27-20, 08:58 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by pdlamb
Ah, it's all a matter of taste. I saw this one in the shop and thought I'd had some bad curry for lunch, but apparently some Seahawks fans like it. (Note how the gawd-awful fender color matches the stem and panels!)

Well I would not say I like it, it does kinda work...... if purple and green is what you are after.
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 10-27-20, 09:08 AM
WarrenR

Bikes: 2005 Peugeot Evasion 2019 Trek Verve

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 17 Posts
Old 10-27-20, 09:19 AM
CargoDane
Not a newbie to cycling

Bikes: Omnium Cargo Ti with Rohloff, Bullitt Milk Plus, Dahon Smooth Hound

Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 199 Posts
Well I would not say I like it, it does kinda work...... if purple and green is what you are after.
I'm thinking that colour combination would be good on grey and dull days to be noticed. But, yeah, I'm not going to paint my bike in those colours at any time.
Old 10-27-20, 09:25 AM
Germany_chris
I知 a little Surly

Originally Posted by WarrenR
Id that a direct mount kickstand?
Old 10-27-20, 09:29 AM
hsuBM
jj

Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 110 Times in 78 Posts
Originally Posted by Bill in VA
Your 2 statements are in partial conflict.

A black frame with silver rims is enhanced by black or silver fenders. I could see either as looking good. Like a tux with a nice stainless steel or titanium chronometer watch.

A black frame with black rims and black fenders would be fine for Batman and other devotees of flat black components and rims. But since black components and rims are not one of my favorite features, either with or without fenders, I would pass.
agreed. Black frames and chrome/nickel/bare aluminum frames are exceptions. 70s Raleigh Comp GS痴 look especially great in that slightly soft black with bare alloy components throughout including the fenders.
Old 10-27-20, 09:39 AM
WarrenR

Id that a direct mount kickstand?
Yes
Old 10-27-20, 10:27 AM
Germany_chris
I知 a little Surly

Yes
I didn稚 know those were available in NA

Thanks
Old 10-27-20, 11:06 AM
WarrenR

I didn稚 know those were available in NA

Thanks
Could be "Only in Canada Eh!" LoL

Everything on the bike was purchased with the bike from my Trek LBS except the bag, Trekking bars and seat.
Old 10-27-20, 11:12 AM
Germany_chris
I知 a little Surly

Could be "Only in Canada Eh!" LoL

Everything on the bike was purchased with the bike from my Trek LBS except the bag, Trekking bars and seat.

Over here the direct mount kickstands are pretty popular but I haven't seen one in the states or Canada so maybe it is a Canada thing. I really like them they're nice and strong and don't shake loose when you ride, it's one of the things I'm thinking about getting added to my frame since I don't have space under the chain stays.
Old 10-27-20, 11:20 AM
John Valuk

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 168 Times in 109 Posts
I wasn't aware of the SKS Longboards, but seeing a couple of pictures here was enough to convince me to try them.

I'm positively impressed by the design and construction, and I think they look pretty good, too. I provided my own M6 screws to take advantage of a couple of available braze-ons for mounting the rear fender.

I haven't ridden in the wet with them yet, but the Longboards provide more coverage (especially the front fender) than the ones I had been using.
Old 10-27-20, 11:30 AM
Germany_chris
I知 a little Surly

Originally Posted by John Valuk
I wasn't aware of the SKS Longboards, but seeing a couple of pictures here was enough to convince me to try them.

I'm positively impressed by the design and construction, and I think they look pretty good, too. I provided my own M6 screws to take advantage of a couple of available braze-ons for mounting the rear fender.

I haven't ridden in the wet with them yet, but the Longboards provide more coverage (especially the front fender) than the ones I had been using.
My only issue with SKS fenders is they're too short for me particularly the front.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.