Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Balance

Old 07-26-21, 12:02 PM
waters60

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 62 Posts
Balance

Not sure where this belongs but..
Went riding with my 63 year old wife on a local rail trail yesterday. It had been 1 1/2 years since she rode outside and her loss of balance was rather disturbing. She got better as we went farther. I would like to think that more riding will help her regain her balance and confidence. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Thanks
Old 07-26-21, 12:33 PM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 983 Times in 508 Posts
Does she have trouble with balance in other situations?

My wife is 46 and has been biking with me for several years. She is always a bit unsteady on the bike, which is to say she has to concentrate, usually will not take even one hand off the handlebar for more than a few seconds, and gets nervous if I ride in formation too close to her.

She doesn't have vertigo or suffer from balance deficiencies off the bike, so we don't worry too much about it. I just let her ride in a manner she's comfortable with and accept that she may never get better at it--that's okay.
Old 07-26-21, 12:43 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22513 Post(s)
Liked 8,841 Times in 4,113 Posts
If her sense of balance OFF the bike is normal, it probably just needs more time/practice.

If her balance is off (try having her walk heel/toe, first with eyes open and then blindfolded and see how she does) then that may need to be looked into by her doctor.