Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

1980’s Soma Competition… How would you sell it? Part it out? Whole?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-21, 11:59 AM
boneshaker78
Commuting Fool

Bikes: 1988 Miele Azsora, 2022 State All-Road 4130, 2003 Jamis Coda Comp, 1983 Specialized Expedition, 1994 Norco Monterey

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 39 Posts

$50 garage sale find. Trying to figure out what to do with it. I’m an experienced mechanic and could repair it. The front wheel is not original to the bike… Sunshine hub with Ukai Rim (no hook for clinchers) and the saddle was a modern monstrosity Cloud 9. I have no interest in riding it or keeping the parts, the bike is way too small for me. Everything seems to be in excellent condition, little to no wear on the rims, teeth on chainring and freewheel seem fresh, wheels roll very smoothly but the wheels need truing, tires are toast. Leaning towards eBay because the area I live in is depressed and not the best bike market. Any suggestions appreciated.. thanks 😊

Old 09-17-21, 12:27 PM
WGB 
WGB

Bikes: Panasonic PT-4500

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1800 Post(s)
Liked 2,334 Times in 1,378 Posts
Can't see where you are located but I'd put a seatpost and a basic seat, tune up and flip. Less hassle than parting out, unless you live where no one rides, people will buy it.
Shimano 600 Arabesque isn't that big an attraction anymore though the shifter levers are in really nice shape.
Likes For WGB:
Old 09-17-21, 12:38 PM
boneshaker78
Commuting Fool

Bikes: 1988 Miele Azsora, 2022 State All-Road 4130, 2003 Jamis Coda Comp, 1983 Specialized Expedition, 1994 Norco Monterey

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 39 Posts
Buffalo, NY market is rough for bikes like this. This 600 group selling for $200 with shipping on eBay. Frame and wheels are worth something.

Last edited by boneshaker78; 09-17-21 at 12:50 PM.
Old 09-17-21, 12:43 PM
noobinsf 

Bikes: '82 Univega Competizione, '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '83 Mercian KOM Touring, '85 Univega Alpina Uno, '76 Eisentraut Limited

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,205 Times in 701 Posts
If you want to milk it for as much as possible, you'll need to spend some time cleaning the parts and frame and be willing to ship individual parts, maybe sell the 600 stuff as a shiny group. A mismatched front wheel is typically a flag for potential front end crash, so just make sure you check the front end carefully to make sure you don't accidentally misrepresent a damaged frame as a good one. Tange Champion 2 is good stuff, and that frame should clean up well. For the wheels, I would either sell intact locally or scrap the rims and sell the hubs. (If you do, make sure you remove the freewheel before disassembling the wheels!)
Likes For noobinsf: