Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Routing recessed brake cables on non-recessed drop bars

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 09-20-21, 01:03 AM
taguy4

Bikes: Peugeot PR-10, Peugeot UO-8, Boeris racing bike, AMF Roadmaster Renegade, Gitane Gypsy Sport, various Schwinn muscle bikes, Schwinn Super Sport, Panasonic DX-4000, Palo Alto Campy equipped bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts

Back before grooved handlebars came out I know it was pretty standard fair - and the way I've always done it - to route recessed brake cables on the inside of the brake levers down along the lower front of the bars, but I've noticed a number of cyclists from the "classic" racing era ran their recessed brake cables to the OUTSIDE of the brake levers and then somewhere along the back - or lower back - of the handlebars. Has anyone ever tried this, and is it more or less comfortable on the hands to have the bulge of the brake cables there? What is best path for the cables to take under the bar tape when routing them this way? I really like the idea of grooved handlebars to eliminated most of the cable bulge under the bar tape issue, but when building a period correct racing bike from the day and age before grooved bars (and after recessed brake cables came out) it makes sense to use regular bars and have the cable bulge there.
Old 09-20-21, 03:36 AM
sloar 

Bikes: they change so much I'm tired of updating this

Mentioned: 168 Post(s)
Quoted: 1211 Post(s)
Liked 1,120 Times in 421 Posts
I run mine on the bottom of the bar, I don’t even notice it when I’m riding.
Old 09-20-21, 04:30 AM
Bianchi84

Bikes: 1984 Bianchi Tipo Corsa, 1985 Cannondale SM600 (24/26)

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 346 Times in 187 Posts
I've never owned a bike with that routing, but I worked on and test-rode many when I was a bike mechanic. Generally, I would route cable in the most "natural" path, which was usually on front of the bars. New bikes often came with long,clear flexible covers to go over the cables and smooth the feel. I haven't seen those aftermarket.
One suggestion in setting them up; run cables and adjust brakes before securing cables to bars or taping bars. Forcefully apply brakes to fully seat cables and ferrules into where they belong. THEN adhesive tape cables to bars and handlebar tape over it. Remember you might need to stretch the tape little since the effective diameter of the bars is now bigger.. most tape barely gives you enough already!
Likes For Bianchi84:
Old 09-20-21, 05:49 AM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1601 Post(s)
Liked 2,187 Times in 1,092 Posts
I know this isn't the same but the Ergos have an option for the second cable to route toward the front or back of the bar.
Initially I routed to the front and recently re routed toward the back.
In both cases, the housing was located to rout to a bottom exit of the bar tape.
In terms of comfort, I don't notice either cable, shift or brake on the bar except when my hands are on the bend. Then the bar feels a bit "wider" due to the cable on either side of the bar. I really don't think too much about it as I usually ride on the hoods.
Old 09-20-21, 07:35 AM
Pompiere

Bikes: 1984 Miyata 310, 1986 Schwinn Sierra, 2011 Jamis Quest, 1980 Peugeot TH8 Tandem, 1992 Performance Parabola, 1987 Ross Mt. Hood, 1988 Schwinn LeTour, 1988 Trek 400T, 1981 Fuji S12-S LTD, 197? FW Evans

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 521 Post(s)
Liked 943 Times in 495 Posts
On mine, I put the cable along the front of the bars. As long as the cables are not directly under your palms, they should be fine. You can get an idea of how it will feel by taping the cable in different positions and trying it out before wrapping the bars.
Old 09-20-21, 07:18 PM
taguy4

Bikes: Peugeot PR-10, Peugeot UO-8, Boeris racing bike, AMF Roadmaster Renegade, Gitane Gypsy Sport, various Schwinn muscle bikes, Schwinn Super Sport, Panasonic DX-4000, Palo Alto Campy equipped bike

Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts
I'm thinking the bar tape used when we had to try to do this in the most comfortable, best looking way (before grooved handlebars came about) must have been thinner than most of it is now because the thicker the bar tape the worst it looks, since the bulge gets exaggerated as the tape thickness grows. I always used Benotto tape on my racing bikes, which was starting to go out of style with the pros a few years after recessed brake cables made their debut. This tape didn't look too bad wrapped over brake cables, although you definitely knew they were there. But even the other tape used back then (whatever it was) seems like it looks better than what's available today. Except for a few companies - like Fizik - which still offer a thin 2mm thick tape, everything else readily available today (except cloth) is the thick 3mm EVA foam tape.
Old 09-20-21, 08:12 PM
Flatforkcrown

Bikes: N+1

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 417 Times in 159 Posts
I’ve seen bars drilled for interior cable routing also. In fact, I think the bars that came on my de rosa are drilled. I don’t notice any extra flex from the holes, and they exit in the sleeve, but I couldn’t figure out how to get the hosing through, so I gave up and went around the front of the bars.
Old 09-20-21, 09:40 PM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Bikes: '83 univega gran turismo x2, '85 schwinn super le tour,'89 miyata triple cross, '91 GT tequesta, '90 yokota grizzly peak, '94 GT backwoods, '95'ish scott tampico, '98 bonty privateer, '93 mongoose crossway 625, '98 parkpre ariel, 2k'ish giant fcr3

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 919 Post(s)
Liked 745 Times in 546 Posts
Originally Posted by Flatforkcrown
I’ve seen bars drilled for interior cable routing also. In fact, I think the bars that came on my de rosa are drilled. I don’t notice any extra flex from the holes, and they exit in the sleeve, but I couldn’t figure out how to get the hosing through, so I gave up and went around the front of the bars.
not sure how anyone else does it, but you could install the length of housing you need onto a steel cable. using a strong magnet, guide the free end of the cable through the bar to the sleeve opening and pull the cable through with needle nose. use the cable to pull the housing through. then, pull out the cable, install through shifter, and route through the housing
Old 09-20-21, 09:48 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3846 Post(s)
Liked 6,437 Times in 3,183 Posts
Not at the very bottom of the bar, but close. When my hands are on the top of the bars I like to feel the housing (underneath the tape) in the crevice of my first knuckle(s).
Old 09-20-21, 10:03 PM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Bikes: '83 univega gran turismo x2, '85 schwinn super le tour,'89 miyata triple cross, '91 GT tequesta, '90 yokota grizzly peak, '94 GT backwoods, '95'ish scott tampico, '98 bonty privateer, '93 mongoose crossway 625, '98 parkpre ariel, 2k'ish giant fcr3

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 919 Post(s)
Liked 745 Times in 546 Posts
Originally Posted by SurferRosa
Not at the very bottom of the bar, but close. When my hands are on the top of the bars I like to feel the housing (underneath the tape) in the crevice of my first knuckle(s).
that's how i do it. it's kinda like a handle bar grip
Likes For thook:
Old 09-21-21, 12:06 AM
taguy4

Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Flatforkcrown
Cinelli actually made some bars drilled this way from the factory. One was called the "TOP 64". They show up on eBay from time to time.
Old 09-21-21, 05:37 AM
oneclick 

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1103 Post(s)
Liked 1,309 Times in 773 Posts
Originally Posted by thook
not sure how anyone else does it, but you could install the length of housing you need onto a steel cable. using a strong magnet, guide the free end of the cable through the bar to the sleeve opening and pull the cable through with needle nose. use the cable to pull the housing through. then, pull out the cable, install through shifter, and route through the housing
A bit of string and a hoover is the traditional method (for bars you need end plugs).
Likes For oneclick: