Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

How do you ride?

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

How do you ride?

Old 01-20-21, 08:13 AM
BAM Egypt

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good, Thanks
Old 01-20-21, 08:15 AM
BAM Egypt

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good, Thanks
Old 07-22-21, 12:01 PM
LDuncan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Like Lightning McQueen
Old 02-22-22, 05:58 PM
rybin

Bikes: GT Talera

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 11 Posts
I mostly ride in DC as a way to commute to work and to get myself around to wherever else I need to be since I can't afford a car yet (don't really want one either). I live in the farther flung sections of the city, so things tend to be quieter, but there's certain roads, like the bigger avenues, that have a lot of traffic. Sidewalk biking is allowed in most of DC, so I take advantage of that since there's not nearly enough biking lanes outside downtown and the gentrified areas. There's the Metro Branch Trail for bikes that allows me to access a lot of the city safely, but I tend to go relatively slow and keep very vigilant. Drivers in this city are some of the worst in the country (there's data to back this up), and pedestrian and cyclist fatalities are up a lot these past couple years. Everyone tells me to be careful biking around here for a reason, and I take their advice.
Old 06-23-22, 08:54 PM
Roll123

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
City traffic commute. Also, recreational. And some shopping. Especially now gas prices have shot up.
Old 06-26-22, 02:16 AM
SeeSeeRookRook

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I'm a newbie and am intending to get a bike to ride around Singapore.

A little worried about the lack of infrastructure and unpleasant drivers
Old 06-26-22, 11:40 AM
BrenZan

Bikes: Trek DS2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
mainly short-range (for work, longer-range for visits to friends or stores) commuter, though my bike might be a bit too expensive for that (at least until I get an appropriate lock)

Originally Posted by SeeSeeRookRook
I'm a newbie and am intending to get a bike to ride around Singapore.

A little worried about the lack of infrastructure and unpleasant drivers
wishing you good luck with that
Old 07-12-22, 10:55 PM
ULVANG77

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re

Great view ...
Originally Posted by Bekologist
I live pretty much in and around big city, downtown Seattle. I use my bike for ALL my errands, even ones that require a 60 mile trip (unless I'm picking up plywood sheets or lumber). I own a car that sits unused but 10 or so days a year.

I ride my bikes as my transportation and for recreation. I commute minimum of 7 miles each way to work, and extend that quite a bit for additional exercise. I usually ride 6 days a week unless I'm on a climbing or ski trip. I take tours on my bike for vacation, up into the mountains and across the mountains.

I ride the interstates and the state highways, country roads, suburban 8 lane 45mph arterials, 4 lane city arterials, two lane city streets, dirt roads, rails to trails, gravel roads, two track and single track. I ride the urban core, in suburbia, the countryside, and the wilderness.

For mileage this week, I've ridden on all types of roads in the greater Seattle metropolitan area -except interstate freeway miles- and will finish the week up at about 150-160 miles.(Feb-Mar 2007.) Summer I'm up to 250- 325 miles a week quite a bit if I'm fitting in weekend blitz tours. The city has only 4 percent bike laned roads, so i'm usually in the thick of traffic.

I don't take a lot of pictures while in heavy traffic. tough to break out the camera on rolling, eight lane, 45 mile per hour suburban arterials. BUT, here are some pictures showing the variety in my recreation and commuting environment.

Oh, yeah, I'm a high mileage, ADAPTIVE bicyclist. & VERY THANKFUL I get to ride as much as I do
Old 07-28-22, 10:56 PM
podbotman

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ride mostly for exercise. I try to go out only in the early mornings (6 am or so) for safety. I also stick to the trails mostly, and going early helps avoid the crowd there too (both pedestrians and other cyclists).
Old 05-06-23, 01:49 PM
Boylifeinperu

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I sometimes wear a safety translucent vest at night when biking
Old 05-15-23, 06:48 AM
sin7

Bikes: Cube Attention 2023

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I ride only for my personal joy, I own MTB but live in a mostly flat country so it's usually a challenge to find a good natural places to do drops or overall downhill. But I try to learn anyway with what I have. Since it takes time to reach this places I usually go for long distance rides by asphalt (overall 40-65km allterrain). Sometimes I feel more like a roadie cause of this, but ability to just turn onto the forest road at full speed is wonderful and I use it a lot.
I don't like cities in general so I avoid riding in populated areas, that's one of the reasons of me going to work by public transport cause for me city biking is hell, I rather use electric scooter in such situation. I tried with a bike, but all I got is a stolen bike (September 2022) near the office cause it's prohibited to take it in so I left it secured and it didn't help.
I have some strange love with difficult stuff and falling, extreme mindset but not so cool results so far compared to youtube. I think failing is improving when you try to reach new grounds so I enjoy slight damage (never broke anything surprisingly and hopefully)
Old 09-02-23, 12:25 PM
HarryPotter69

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
like a normal peraon
Old 09-14-23, 11:39 AM
Bleu

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 16 Posts
My bike is a scout vehicle,shuttle craft, shopping mule, and occasional recreational outlet. Since I live in a truck, it's never convenient to drive lots of places. I enjoy the occasional MUP but the only one that runs through the truck stops front yard is in Desmoines and I haven't been there in years, so most rides involve a heavily trafficked frequently industrial route at first. FWIW trucks tops are getting dangerous to cycle through with the advent of ultra-shifts/i-shifts in so many trucks.