Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Specialized Vado 4.0 full battery- dead on display problem

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-21, 09:19 AM
Sjokedijs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi

After charging the battery of my Specialized Vado 4.0 to "Full", and putting it back in the bike, it seems dead...
When turning on the bike, following happens:
  • The indicator on the battery itself shows it to be full.
  • The display on the bike show the battery to be empty
  • the battery icon on the bike display blinks frantically
  • no power for the motor
  • no lights (they should work even if no power to the motor)
I've removed the battery about a dozen times, cleaned all connections, replaced it.

Can't find any similar issue online and there's no Specialized dealer I trust enough nearby

any help would be great!

Thanks in advance
Old 09-20-21, 09:54 AM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 881 Post(s)
Liked 820 Times in 620 Posts
Somewhat similar problem with my Haibike turned out to be a "broken" display on/off switch.Pretty expensive repair since the wires were in the frame and they needed to drop the motor. The switch connected to the motor which seems stupid to me (seems easy to have a connection on or near the handlebar to isolate this). Also, raked for $120 for the component. BTW, this occurred precipitously; one day it was fine, the next, dead.
Old 09-21-21, 07:48 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4348 Post(s)
Liked 3,984 Times in 2,661 Posts
I would make sure your sensor magnet is clean, make sure the battery on your display is new (if you have a TCD not the old Bloks display) and I would also make sure all connections are clean and maybe use dialectic grease on the connection points.
Old 09-22-21, 01:52 AM
Sjokedijs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
I would make sure your sensor magnet is clean, make sure the battery on your display is new (if you have a TCD not the old Bloks display) and I would also make sure all connections are clean and maybe use dialectic grease on the connection points.
Would the sensor magnet have an impact when starting up the battery?
Old 09-22-21, 11:27 AM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 881 Post(s)
Liked 820 Times in 620 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
Good ideas; I did that (except dielectric grease which wouldn't have made a difference). Changed the battery in the display too, but AFAICT it only keeps the clock operating. The real problem for me was there was no way I could diagnose since everything was basically sealed. The shop had a history of problems with this component, so it was easy to locate. I was fortunate that Giant and Haibike used similar Yamaha systems or might have been hosed.
Old 09-25-21, 11:40 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4348 Post(s)
Liked 3,984 Times in 2,661 Posts
Originally Posted by Sjokedijs
Would the sensor magnet have an impact when starting up the battery?
Maybe not but always worth checking.

Originally Posted by 2old
Good ideas; I did that (except dielectric grease which wouldn't have made a difference). Changed the battery in the display too, but AFAICT it only keeps the clock operating. The real problem for me was there was no way I could diagnose since everything was basically sealed. The shop had a history of problems with this component, so it was easy to locate. I was fortunate that Giant and Haibike used similar Yamaha systems or might have been hosed.
Thanks, Just an FYI Specialized uses Brose not Yamaha but yeah we love Dielectric Grease in the shop it did help in some cases but may not in others.

Regardless I would find a Specialized retailer if you are still having issues. Unfortunately batteries are out of stock for a while but at the very least they should be able to get a warranty request started and either get to the bottom of the problem or just get the needed replacement parts if that is the case. Specialized supports their customers really well and while your local dealer may not be perfect (but who is) they should be able to help in this instance.