Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Would you pay more for North American made bike?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!
View Poll Results: pay more for North American model?
Yes
48.05%
No
51.95%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-09-21, 04:26 PM
hybridbkrdr
we be rollin'

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 24 Posts

New Balance has shoe models made in America even though they're more expensive. Would you pay more for a bicycle with parts made in the USA and Canada (or even Mexico)? My thinking is it might be better in terms of wait times, shortages...
Old 10-09-21, 04:29 PM
CrimsonEclipse

Quoted: 505 Post(s)
Liked 584 Times in 335 Posts
Don't worry, if shipping costs go up much more, you WILL be buying American and it WILL cost more.

(which is not necessarily a bad thing)
Likes For CrimsonEclipse:
Old 10-09-21, 04:51 PM
billridesbikes

Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 418 Times in 250 Posts
No, you can pry my Super Record groupset out of my cold dead hands.
Probably not going to give up my SON generator hub, German lights, or Brooks saddle either.
I guess I’d be smuggling those through customs in my luggage. LOL
Old 10-09-21, 05:01 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,910 Times in 1,884 Posts
depends. is it more attractive for looks & performance compared to the other options? NB shoes imo are ugly. Rather strap pillows to my feet than lace up some ugly NB.
Old 10-09-21, 05:03 PM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
Originally Posted by billridesbikes
No, you can pry my Super Record groupset out of my cold dead hands.
Probably not going to give up my SON generator hub, German lights, or Brooks saddle either.
I guess I’d be smuggling those through customs in my luggage. LOL
Fanatical allegiance to a groupset is so commendable
Old 10-09-21, 05:09 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 929 Post(s)
Liked 1,595 Times in 1,021 Posts
American climate "competition in innovation" is the functional equiv-alent of effective price competition, as is the competition to achieve greater productivity. A generation of economics students has been mis-led by the false interpretations of the model builders. The greatest threat to competition in the private sector continues to be the state. - John Chamberlain
Old 10-09-21, 05:11 PM
johnnyace 
Le savonnier

Bikes: I can count 'em on one hand

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 729 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 269 Posts
I'm definitely paying more for an American made bike (Hampsten). Come to think of it, most everything on the bike is from an American company, although much of (but not all) the manufacturing is overseas: SRAM groupset, Ritchey and White Industries bits, Astral wheels, Selle Anatomica saddle.
Likes For johnnyace:
Old 10-09-21, 05:17 PM
epnnf

Bikes: 2016 Masi strada vita due, 2019 Kona Dew Plus

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 55 Posts
(assuming all else being =) Yes, I would but not much
Likes For epnnf:
Old 10-09-21, 06:13 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 15,299 Times in 7,231 Posts
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 10-09-21, 06:18 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4274 Post(s)
Liked 4,713 Times in 2,911 Posts
People have already made this decision, which is why stuff is not usually made in NA or any other place where it might cost more.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 10-09-21, 06:20 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 15,299 Times in 7,231 Posts
Originally Posted by hybridbkrdr
New Balance has shoe models made in America even though they're more expensive. Would you pay more for a bicycle with parts made in the USA and Canada (or even Mexico)? My thinking is it might be better in terms of wait times, shortages...
My road bike frame was designed and built 12 miles from my house in Philly. The stem, seat post, hubs and headset were MUSA. The Cerakote was applied in-state. Don’t know if it was MUSA. Don’t know, and don’t care, if I paid “more”, whatever that means. I got what I wanted.

Last edited by indyfabz; 10-09-21 at 06:25 PM.
Old 10-09-21, 09:30 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4253 Post(s)
Liked 3,866 Times in 2,579 Posts
I want to get quality as the most important thing but I will pay more for that. Ideally yes I would love something MUSA but it has to be of quality.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 10-09-21, 09:40 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3846 Post(s)
Liked 6,437 Times in 3,183 Posts
Yes, I'd pay more for a '70s Trek 900 series road bike compared to a Austrian made Free Spirit.
Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 10-09-21, 10:14 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1935 Post(s)
Liked 2,150 Times in 1,313 Posts
I would pay more for an American made “frame”.

John
Likes For 70sSanO:
Old 10-09-21, 10:54 PM
tkamd73 

Bikes: 1984 Schwinn Supersport, 1988 Trek 400T, 1977 Trek TX900, 1982 Bianchi Champione del Mondo, 1978 Raleigh Supercourse, 1986 Trek 400 Elance, 1991 Waterford PDG OS Paramount, 1971 Schwinn Sports Tourer, 1985 Trek 670

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 601 Post(s)
Liked 1,054 Times in 530 Posts
Me too, I’d pay more for an American made frame and possibly rims, want the other components made in Japan or Italy, and tires from Germany. Wait that describes half of my collection. Never mind. Guess I’d also pay extra for a frame made in Japan, Italy, or England. But like us, they farm everything out, so pipe dream.
Tim
Old 10-10-21, 04:32 AM
Branko D

Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 252 Posts
Since I live on the other side of the pond, I'll flip the question to "would you pay more for a European manufactured bike" and the answer is yes, but within reason. Let's say I'd pay 20%-25% more.

For instance recently I bought a set of Mavic SLR45s for 1540-ish Euro, which are actually made in EU. A similarly good set of Light Bicycle AR45 wheels with Carbon-Ti hubs and CX-ray spokes would be like 1250 Euro with delivery and pre paid tax, and I considered paying a bit more for the Mavics to be a fair deal.
Old 10-10-21, 08:26 AM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,910 Times in 1,884 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
My road bike frame was designed and built 12 miles from my house in Philly. The stem, seat post, hubs and headset were MUSA. The Cerakote was applied in-state. Don’t know if it was MUSA. Don’t know, and don’t care, if I paid “more”, whatever that means. I got what I wanted.
IMO, it comes down to this.
I wouldn't normally buy a product just because it was made somewhere. If the product checks all the boxes for what I am wanting within my budget, that is what I side with. If someone else is footing the bill & the timeframe is within an acceptable range for me, that may change the route I go.

I've had locally made products let me down (albeit: quality, customer service satisfaction [product support/warranty] , expectations & overall experience) that I don't default to where something comes from. Seeing how USA branded items can be assembled, made, produced using other COO means, my money goes where I can afford to spend it. Unless I come into a windfall of money to not be a limiter in being frugal, I'll continue to do what I do.
Old 10-10-21, 09:11 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 150 Post(s)
Quoted: 6147 Post(s)
Liked 4,093 Times in 2,325 Posts
I often seek out US made products. Six of my 10 bikes have US frames (2 Cannondale touring bikes, a Dean hardtail mountain, a Moots YBB for bikepacking, a Dean fast bike, and a Cannondale tandem). The wheels on all but one of my bikes have US hubs (Phil, White Industry, Ringle’ (vintage) or Paul) and many have Velocity rims. Almost all of my brakes are US…Paul…and seatposts and stems are largely US products (Thomson, Dean, and Moots). Various other bits and bobs like stem caps, bottle cages (King Cage), seat post collars, and grips are US.

Some of this is just because but there are advantages to some US products compared to other offering. Phil, White Industries, and Paul hubs are smooth and trouble free. They may be expensive but they can go tens of thousands of miles without service. Paul brakes…of which I have cantilever, linear, and Klampers…are among the easiest to tune and most effective brakes I’ve ever used.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Last edited by cyccommute; 10-10-21 at 10:40 AM.
Likes For cyccommute:
Old 10-10-21, 09:29 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2332 Post(s)
Liked 2,094 Times in 1,311 Posts
USA = yes

Canada = no

I try to buy American. For instance, USA made shoes are more expensive but they last much longer
Likes For GhostRider62:
Old 10-10-21, 10:40 AM
macstuff 

Bikes: A Blue One and 2 Green One's, then there's the Yellow one. And oh, yeah, a Black One. Did I mention the Red One?

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 79 Posts
I guess it really depends on if you hold Nationalism ahead of quality and value. If you do, then you will be riding bikes of decreasing quality and value.
In the bicycle arena as well as in most other areas of our material life, Americans think they know what quality and value mean. They judge these two from one end to the other and speculate on reasoning, yet profit dictates these things after our resolve has worn thin. Americans won't stand for anything less than a 400% PM so we are assed out to boringly cross our fingers and "hope this time I get a good one."
This will not end, it will only get worse
Personally I think people shouldn't be selling things they didn't make, there needs to be direct accountability for quality and value.

This is all one of the main reasons I pick a frame, wheels and equipment, and make my own bike from parts all over the place. That way I can be proud of my accomplishments and not beholden to other peoples ideas of value and quality.
I also don't have to play catch-up and constantly upgrade to match the current trick of the week.
I also don't have to join in on the conversations of which money grubbing consortium brand is better than another.
The answer is mine.
My bikes are assembled in America by a craftsman that sources his parts from the past and present, and gets those parts from all over the world.
Worrying about where it was assembled has no upside.

Last edited by macstuff; 10-10-21 at 10:56 AM.
Likes For macstuff:
Old 10-10-21, 03:53 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2578 Post(s)
Liked 1,901 Times in 1,193 Posts
Like indyfabz, I have. It was what I wanted, and it's been a joy to ride since I got that custom bike.

And again, I don't know where most of the components were made (nor do I really care).

Will America's custom makers be in deep trouble if the Chinese or Taiwanese get into the custom bike business?
Old 10-10-21, 03:56 PM
martianone

Bikes: recumbent & upright

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 31 Posts
Yes, I did and will continue to do so.
Road bike is a Waterford frame,
with as many made in USA components as possible.
Riding it 10 years now,
hope to be able to do so for 20 more.
when ever I purchase an item,
try to get a made in USA or at least
North America. EU/UK next.
Likes For martianone:
Old 10-10-21, 04:41 PM
guachi

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 327 Times in 179 Posts
I'd prefer to buy American-made if I could. Though the best I can probably get is an American company. I own a Trek (American) and I believe the Project One bikes are painted in America. I have RSL wheels and those are (mostly) made in America. I could have gotten (but didn't) SRAM groupset, and they're American. Instead, I got Shimano. The rest of the parts are Trek or Bontrager and I don't think any of them are made in America.
Old 10-10-21, 04:56 PM
hose
Miyata Mike

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 46 Posts
Easton Ultralite frames are made in USA if.. they're still available? I got one - its gr8
Old 10-10-21, 05:34 PM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 714 Post(s)
Liked 602 Times in 371 Posts
...The greatest threat to competition in the private sector continues to be the state. - John Chamberlain
People of the same trade seldom meet together, even for merriment and diversion, but the conversation ends in a conspiracy against the public, or in some contrivance to raise prices. - that's Adam Smith.
The interest of the dealers, however, in any particular branch of trade or manufactures, is always in some respects different from, and even opposite to, that of the public. To widen the market and to narrow the competition, is always the interest of the dealers. - that's Adam Smith, too.

IOW, established businesses are the primary obstacle to competition. It follows, then, that Government obstructs competition when it lets established businesses call the tune. In fact, there's at least one point in Wealth of Nations in which Smith explicitly warns against letting businesses write regulations.

Apologies to the mods if this is considered a politics. I have a hard time separating politics from economics, but the quotes above come from Adam Smith in 1776, and he's writing about businesses, not about governments or politicians.

Last edited by philbob57; 10-10-21 at 07:43 PM.
Likes For philbob57:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.