Notices
Indoor & Stationary Cycling Forum From spin to Zwift to Peloton, this forum is dedicated to any and all indoor training on stationary bikes

Wahoo SYSTM

Old 09-28-21, 08:27 PM
  #1  
atwl77
Kamen Rider
Thread Starter
 
atwl77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: KL, MY
Posts: 995

Bikes: Fuji Transonic Elite, Marechal Soul Ultimate, Dahon Dash Altena

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 326 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 135 Posts
Wahoo SYSTM

So the news that The Sufferfest is now Wahoo SYSTEM is all over my news feed today. I'll probably have to make that switch eventually, but in the meantime has anyone used it yet? Any thoughts/comments?
atwl77 is offline  
Old 09-29-21, 04:03 AM
  #2  
unterhausen
Randomhead
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Happy Valley, Pennsylvania
Posts: 22,111
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1,700 Times in 1,218 Posts
Didn't you already use Sufferfest? I thought they just changed the name. So you have to switch?
unterhausen is offline  
Old 09-29-21, 08:41 AM
  #3  
atwl77
Kamen Rider
Thread Starter
 
atwl77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: KL, MY
Posts: 995

Bikes: Fuji Transonic Elite, Marechal Soul Ultimate, Dahon Dash Altena

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 326 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 135 Posts
Just tried it. It's a new app to download and install - which they did not get right the first time, installer stopped with a cryptic error. Turns out I have to run the installer as Administrator in order to get it to work.

But afterwards, you login using the same login as The Sufferfest, and all your details are present in the new app. The workouts are mostly the same, with some additional ones from Wahoo and elsewhere, but the results page after the workout is complete is a lot less fancier. Just plain and sterile.

Haven't explored the rest of the features yet, but at the very least, the transition was relatively quick and seamless.
atwl77 is offline  
Likes For atwl77:
Old 09-29-21, 10:25 AM
  #4  
Arbaaz11
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I am using Rouvy and was super interested in using Sufferfest for training and improving. Is it wise to use Wahoo Systm at this stage? Can I still use Sufferfest?

btw - nice profile pic - I know this - you should watch Yowamushi Pedal.
Arbaaz11 is offline  
Likes For Arbaaz11:
Old 09-29-21, 07:51 PM
  #5  
atwl77
Kamen Rider
Thread Starter
 
atwl77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: KL, MY
Posts: 995

Bikes: Fuji Transonic Elite, Marechal Soul Ultimate, Dahon Dash Altena

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 326 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 135 Posts
Originally Posted by Arbaaz11 View Post
I am using Rouvy and was super interested in using Sufferfest for training and improving. Is it wise to use Wahoo Systm at this stage? Can I still use Sufferfest?
They're retiring The Sufferfest - I don't know if new users can still use it, but existing users can choose to continue using the old app until it gets retired but the end goal is to fully transition to SYSTM. So I guess if you're interested, you should use SYSTM from the start.

btw - nice profile pic - I know this - you should watch Yowamushi Pedal.
Haha, yeah I've seen it. I've also watched Long Riders and Minami Kamakura High School Girls Cycling Club.
Didn't really like Yowamushi that much, felt too traditional shonen for my liking - i.e. similar to Bleach, Dragonball, Naruto, One Piece, et al, they really love to extend their competitions over multiple episodes.
Of the three, Long Riders is my favourite.
atwl77 is offline  
Old 09-30-21, 05:14 AM
  #6  
unterhausen
Randomhead
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Happy Valley, Pennsylvania
Posts: 22,111
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1,700 Times in 1,218 Posts
Do you have the Long Riders jersey on zwift? GOLONGRIDERS
Apparently one of the creators of Long Riders has had group rides on zwift
unterhausen is offline  
Likes For unterhausen:
Old 09-30-21, 07:19 AM
  #7  
atwl77
Kamen Rider
Thread Starter
 
atwl77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: KL, MY
Posts: 995

Bikes: Fuji Transonic Elite, Marechal Soul Ultimate, Dahon Dash Altena

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 326 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 135 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen View Post
Do you have the Long Riders jersey on zwift? GOLONGRIDERS
Apparently one of the creators of Long Riders has had group rides on zwift
Wait, what? Lol that's awesome, thanks for the tip!
atwl77 is offline  
Old 10-04-21, 05:28 PM
  #8  
zacster
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Brooklyn NY
Posts: 7,236

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 270 Times in 217 Posts
I downloaded Systm after using Sufferfest for years and once you get past the somewhat different interface it is still the same product under the sheets. The new functionality seems mostly to be around scheduling and calendars, which I found to be the old apps weakest point. But all the old videos are there as well as a few new ones, the yoga is still there, all of the other features too. There is a new intro that comes on with every video but once the video itself starts it is the same. In fact, one the annoyances with it still exists. If you go full screen, the workout profile does not expand with it. I complained about that after the last major refresh and was promised it would be fixed but it never was.

I haven't actually ridden it yet but I don't expect it to be that much different while riding. It is still too nice outside to ride indoors.
zacster is offline  
Likes For zacster:
Old 10-11-21, 04:13 AM
  #9  
Arbaaz11
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Does the Wahoo System actually have simulation mode like Rouvy or Zwift?
Arbaaz11 is offline  
Old 10-11-21, 05:35 AM
  #10  
Ed Wiser
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Posts: 290
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 57 Posts
Not in the same way. You get race clips and changes in ERG mode. Not actually riding a route like Rouvy or Zwift.
Ed Wiser is offline  
Old 10-11-21, 08:05 PM
  #11  
atwl77
Kamen Rider
Thread Starter
 
atwl77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: KL, MY
Posts: 995

Bikes: Fuji Transonic Elite, Marechal Soul Ultimate, Dahon Dash Altena

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 326 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 135 Posts
If we are to use Zwift as an example, I would say it's more like using the Zwift training plans than just free-riding on Zwift routes - i.e. when on a training plan, the grade of the route doesn't affect the resistance level of the trainer, it's entirely on the parameters of the specific training plan as well as your cadence.
atwl77 is offline  
Old 10-12-21, 10:17 AM
  #12  
zacster
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Brooklyn NY
Posts: 7,236

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 270 Times in 217 Posts
What I didn't like about ERG mode with either Sufferfest of Zwift is that there are those days where you just don't have it. You still want to do the ride, you still want the workout, but it is too hard for your legs and/or heart. When I started doing Sufferfest I had neither power meter nor smart trainer and used the simulated power curves that the apps provided. The problem is that the trainer itself would start out easy and then get much harder as the fluid warmed but show the same power level. That had an advantage in that you would start out a little easy and it would get suddenly enough harder when you were already pushing that it felt good.

But the other advantage of this is that if you weren't feeling it, you just rode short of the power target displayed. ERG mode has none of that, you ride at the requested power whether you feel good about it or not. You push too hard sometimes. And it isn't that I didn't push hard, I did it on my terms, not the computer's. Some rides I matched the curves exactly (within the norms of shifting) and others I would do 10% less, or whatever, and sometimes more than the target.

So now I have all the high-end toys but find that I use them less than my old fluid trainer. I'm hoping the new Systm has enough going for it to keep me engaged, and maybe I'll turn off ERG mode and just use the target power. At least actual power will be accurately measured with the trainer and/or PM pedals. And the progress tracking will be good.

I should mention too that age is a factor. I'm 66 at this point so it isn't getting any easier. It was only 2-3 years ago that I was in the top 25% on all my Zwift rides, would hold top position on sprints, and would beat the hell out of anybody on an outdoor ride. (not racing though). I'm happy now to complete the course.

Last edited by zacster; 10-12-21 at 10:21 AM.
zacster is offline  
Old 10-12-21, 11:10 AM
  #13  
unterhausen
Randomhead
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Happy Valley, Pennsylvania
Posts: 22,111
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1,700 Times in 1,218 Posts
I don't know about the apps in question, but on trainerroad, dropping or raising the power in erg mode is pretty easy. I used to do that because sprints were too easy and all workouts are based off of your ftp
unterhausen is offline  
Old 10-12-21, 04:22 PM
  #14  
zacster
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Brooklyn NY
Posts: 7,236

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 270 Times in 217 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen View Post
I don't know about the apps in question, but on trainerroad, dropping or raising the power in erg mode is pretty easy. I used to do that because sprints were too easy and all workouts are based off of your ftp
You can raise and lower the targets, but it is a distraction from the riding. When I'm pedaling hard getting to the proper control can be difficult even when right on the screen. If I'm not in ERG mode I can just let my cadence/gearing decide.
zacster is offline  
Old 10-13-21, 07:47 AM
  #15  
mvnsnd
Senior Member
 
mvnsnd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: WNY
Posts: 3,009

Bikes: Caad10, Caad2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 300 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 39 Posts
Originally Posted by zacster View Post
What I didn't like about ERG mode with either Sufferfest of Zwift is that there are those days where you just don't have it. You still want to do the ride, you still want the workout, but it is too hard for your legs and/or heart. When I started doing Sufferfest I had neither power meter nor smart trainer and used the simulated power curves that the apps provided. The problem is that the trainer itself would start out easy and then get much harder as the fluid warmed but show the same power level. That had an advantage in that you would start out a little easy and it would get suddenly enough harder when you were already pushing that it felt good.

But the other advantage of this is that if you weren't feeling it, you just rode short of the power target displayed. ERG mode has none of that, you ride at the requested power whether you feel good about it or not. You push too hard sometimes. And it isn't that I didn't push hard, I did it on my terms, not the computer's. Some rides I matched the curves exactly (within the norms of shifting) and others I would do 10% less, or whatever, and sometimes more than the target.

So now I have all the high-end toys but find that I use them less than my old fluid trainer. I'm hoping the new Systm has enough going for it to keep me engaged, and maybe I'll turn off ERG mode and just use the target power. At least actual power will be accurately measured with the trainer and/or PM pedals. And the progress tracking will be good.

I should mention too that age is a factor. I'm 66 at this point so it isn't getting any easier. It was only 2-3 years ago that I was in the top 25% on all my Zwift rides, would hold top position on sprints, and would beat the hell out of anybody on an outdoor ride. (not racing though). I'm happy now to complete the course.

In Zwift, one can lower all targets by 0-10% from the workout screen. If that is not enough, just change your FTP setting from the basic initial workout selection screen. It will then use that setting for the new targets. You'll just have to remember to set it back for the next workout.
mvnsnd is offline  
Old 10-13-21, 03:36 PM
  #16  
zacster
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Brooklyn NY
Posts: 7,236

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 270 Times in 217 Posts
Originally Posted by mvnsnd View Post
In Zwift, one can lower all targets by 0-10% from the workout screen. If that is not enough, just change your FTP setting from the basic initial workout selection screen. It will then use that setting for the new targets. You'll just have to remember to set it back for the next workout.
In Zwift if I'm not feeling it I'll just go and do a simulation ride, and being a New Yorker my favorite was laps of Central Park. My other favorite torture in Zwift is the radio tower ride. That climb is a killer. I haven't been on for a while so I'll have to look at what's new.
zacster is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.