Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Fair Price Moto Team Champion?

Old 10-13-21, 03:18 PM
  #1  
Sedgemop
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Sedgemop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Chicago
Posts: 386

Bikes: '72 Peugeot PX-10 '72 Gitane Tour de France '78 Raleigh Super Course '85 Trek 830 '85 Trek 760

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 27 Posts
Fair Price Moto Team Champion?

I want one of these, or its brother the Le Champion. What's a fair price for one of these? I know they're on the rare side, but this seems maybe overpriced by double. Am I wrong?

Moto Team Champion

For Sale: Motobecane Team Champion bicycle frame fork Columbus Huret dropouts 60 cm

Measurements: seat tube, center to center: 23.5 inches / 60 cm; top tube, center to center: 23 3/8 inches / 59 cm.

Beautiful Motobecane Team Champion lugged steel road bicycle made with Columbus tubing most likely from the early 1980s. Some scuffs here and there but no dents or dings that I could find. Includes Campagnolo head set and bottom bracket cable guide.


Sedgemop is offline  
Old 10-13-21, 04:18 PM
  #2  
tkamd73 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Menomonee Falls, WI
Posts: 1,229

Bikes: 1984 Schwinn Supersport, 1988 Trek 400t, 1977 Trek 900TX, 1982 Bianchi Champione del Mondo, 1978 Raleigh Supercourse, 1986 Trek 400 Elance, 1991 Waterford PDG OS Paramount, 1971 Schwinn Sports Tourer, 1985 Trek 670

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 406 Post(s)
Liked 460 Times in 262 Posts
Sorry, canít comment on the value, but I have bought numerous items from this seller, easy to deal with, you will have no issues.
Tim
tkamd73 is offline  
Likes For tkamd73:
Old 10-13-21, 05:22 PM
  #3  
zukahn1 
Senior Member
 
zukahn1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Fairplay Co
Posts: 8,319

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 511 Post(s)
Liked 424 Times in 224 Posts
I know prices are up but $800 for a production level frame is way high. Myself if it was a grail bike I wouldn't go past $400 for a early 70's French frame and fork and this isn't my grail very similar at this price or less look for a Jeunet 650 Pro basically the same lugs tubing and can be had for half the ask or less If your not in a hurry and nicer cooler bike.
zukahn1 is offline  
Old 10-13-21, 07:40 PM
  #4  
Sedgemop
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Sedgemop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Chicago
Posts: 386

Bikes: '72 Peugeot PX-10 '72 Gitane Tour de France '78 Raleigh Super Course '85 Trek 830 '85 Trek 760

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by zukahn1 View Post
I know prices are up but $800 for a production level frame is way high. Myself if it was a grail bike I wouldn't go past $400 for a early 70's French frame and fork and this isn't my grail very similar at this price or less look for a Jeunet 650 Pro basically the same lugs tubing and can be had for half the ask or less If your not in a hurry and nicer cooler bike.
Yeah, I was figuring maybe $350 tops for this one.
Sedgemop is offline  
Likes For Sedgemop:
Old 10-14-21, 02:45 AM
  #5  
Kabuki12
Senior Member
 
Kabuki12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Ventura County ,California
Posts: 1,799

Bikes: 71 Stella,72 Mondia Special,72 ItalVega Grand Rallye, 73 Windsor Pro,75 Colnago Super,76 Kabuki DF,77 Raleigh Comp.GS,78 Raleigh Pro,80 Moto Gran Sprint,82 Medici Pro Strada

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 407 Post(s)
Liked 666 Times in 437 Posts
These are nice bikes and sought after. I can’t comment on why because I’ve never ridden one but my daughter has a Grand Jubile’ that I helped her with and took a few rides on and I was impressed with it , even though it was not my size. I do think that is a bit high for a frame and fork even though it has the headset and BB . I had been wanting a Raleigh Pro Mark V for years and finally stumbled on to one that needs a paint job but otherwise good shape, no dents or dings and the surface rust had not entered any areas of concern. It came with Campagnolo headset and Bottom Bracket. I only paid $150 for it but if I decide to have it restored at a later date I will be close to where this Moto is in money, but at least I will know what it rides like before investing big $ . I , personally , would keep looking unless the seller is willing to bring that number down.
Kabuki12 is offline  
Likes For Kabuki12:
Old 10-14-21, 04:34 AM
  #6  
plonz 
Senior Member
 
plonz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Western MI
Posts: 2,457
Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 535 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 139 Posts
I followed Le Champions a few years ago determined to get a frameset. Asking prices were typically in the $300-$350 range for a frameset and I wasn’t ready to go that high. From this experience I’d expect to see a Team Champion around $400. I may be low but I think OP’s find is too high.
plonz is offline  
Likes For plonz:
Old 10-14-21, 05:59 AM
  #7  
bikemig 
Senior Member
 
bikemig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Middle Earth (aka IA)
Posts: 18,888

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 161 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5272 Post(s)
Liked 1,911 Times in 1,253 Posts
That particular seller's bikes are consisently overpriced. On the other hand, I assume it's a business model that works since sooner or later you'll find someone who doesn't care much what they pay to get precisely the bike or the parts they want.
bikemig is offline  
Likes For bikemig:
Old 10-14-21, 09:09 AM
  #8  
Sedgemop
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Sedgemop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Chicago
Posts: 386

Bikes: '72 Peugeot PX-10 '72 Gitane Tour de France '78 Raleigh Super Course '85 Trek 830 '85 Trek 760

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by bikemig View Post
That particular seller's bikes are consisently overpriced. On the other hand, I assume it's a business model that works since sooner or later you'll find someone who doesn't care much what they pay to get precisely the bike or the parts they want.
It's a shame too, because I don't mind a trip up to Oshkosh. The riding's good up there.
Sedgemop is offline  
Old 10-15-21, 09:26 PM
  #9  
pcb 
Senior Member
 
pcb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Joisey
Posts: 1,471
Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 371 Post(s)
Liked 575 Times in 268 Posts
These are nice frames, they are uncommon, and they are sought after. I know more than a couple of folks who consider it/them to be among the nicest-riding frames they've ever had.

I would've snapped one up in decent shape at $350-$450 when the herd was expanding.

$800 sounds/feels high to me, but I'm not looking to buy, and I'm not the individual who has the loose change to drop $12k on a new carbon anything.

If you wanted/needed it bad enough, it fit, you could afford it without a few months of cheap ramen, and you planned to hold onto it, I don't think you'd regret spending the extra $400. Lotta "ifs" there, though.
__________________
Fuggedaboutit!
pcb is offline  
Likes For pcb:
Old 10-17-21, 08:58 AM
  #10  
Sedgemop
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Sedgemop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Chicago
Posts: 386

Bikes: '72 Peugeot PX-10 '72 Gitane Tour de France '78 Raleigh Super Course '85 Trek 830 '85 Trek 760

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by pcb View Post
These are nice frames, they are uncommon, and they are sought after. I know more than a couple of folks who consider it/them to be among the nicest-riding frames they've ever had.

I would've snapped one up in decent shape at $350-$450 when the herd was expanding.

$800 sounds/feels high to me, but I'm not looking to buy, and I'm not the individual who has the loose change to drop $12k on a new carbon anything.

If you wanted/needed it bad enough, it fit, you could afford it without a few months of cheap ramen, and you planned to hold onto it, I don't think you'd regret spending the extra $400. Lotta "ifs" there, though.
Seems there's a consensus that whatever "fair" means, a fair price without qualifiers is in your range of $350-$450. Thanks for the info, everybody.
Sedgemop is offline  
Old 10-17-21, 11:25 AM
  #11  
bikemig 
Senior Member
 
bikemig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Middle Earth (aka IA)
Posts: 18,888

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 161 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5272 Post(s)
Liked 1,911 Times in 1,253 Posts
Originally Posted by Sedgemop View Post
I want one of these, or its brother the Le Champion. What's a fair price for one of these? I know they're on the rare side, but this seems maybe overpriced by double. Am I wrong?

Moto Team Champion

For Sale: Motobecane Team Champion bicycle frame fork Columbus Huret dropouts 60 cm

Measurements: seat tube, center to center: 23.5 inches / 60 cm; top tube, center to center: 23 3/8 inches / 59 cm.

Beautiful Motobecane Team Champion lugged steel road bicycle made with Columbus tubing most likely from the early 1980s. Some scuffs here and there but no dents or dings that I could find. Includes Campagnolo head set and bottom bracket cable guide.

snip . . .

Here is one that looks around the same size and is complete at $800 BIN; the shipping price is high though at $200. Maybe negotiate the price down a bit to deal with the shipping?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/27497163184...YAAOSwrLphWMRt

Also were there Le Champions with Huret drop outs? I thought they all had Campy?
bikemig is offline  
Old 10-17-21, 06:39 PM
  #12  
zukahn1 
Senior Member
 
zukahn1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Fairplay Co
Posts: 8,319

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 511 Post(s)
Liked 424 Times in 224 Posts
Originally Posted by bikemig View Post
Here is one that looks around the same size and is complete at $800 BIN; the shipping price is high though at $200. Maybe negotiate the price down a bit to deal with the shipping?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/27497163184...YAAOSwrLphWMRt

Also were there Le Champions with Huret drop outs? I thought they all had Campy?
As for the Dr hanger with a bit of careful reathreading Filing attachment a modern extender can be added to most of these French frames to allow for Campy ISO modern stuff and better gear range fairly easy.
https://www.amazon.com/Wolf-Tooth-Co...04467356&psc=1

Last edited by zukahn1; 10-17-21 at 06:44 PM.
zukahn1 is offline  
Old 10-17-21, 07:00 PM
  #13  
Sedgemop
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Sedgemop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Chicago
Posts: 386

Bikes: '72 Peugeot PX-10 '72 Gitane Tour de France '78 Raleigh Super Course '85 Trek 830 '85 Trek 760

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by bikemig View Post
Here is one that looks around the same size and is complete at $800 BIN; the shipping price is high though at $200. Maybe negotiate the price down a bit to deal with the shipping?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/27497163184...YAAOSwrLphWMRt

Also were there Le Champions with Huret drop outs? I thought they all had Campy?
Yeah, I've had my eye on that one for awhile too. it's a real possibility. May hold out for one of the lilac Le Champions, though. I like that color so much more.
Sedgemop is offline  
Old 10-17-21, 07:21 PM
  #14  
zukahn1 
Senior Member
 
zukahn1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Fairplay Co
Posts: 8,319

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 511 Post(s)
Liked 424 Times in 224 Posts
Originally Posted by Sedgemop View Post
Yeah, I've had my eye on that one for awhile too. it's a real possibility. May hold out for one of the lilac Le Champions, though. I like that color so much more.
If I were looking for a top end French frame to build up I would be inclined to hold out for nice original lilac or plum crazy also,
zukahn1 is offline  
Likes For zukahn1:
Old 10-18-21, 01:28 PM
  #15  
BlueDevil63 
my name is Jim
 
BlueDevil63's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Eagle, CO
Posts: 1,460

Bikes: too many or not enough

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 233 Times in 78 Posts
I did a fair bit of research on Le Champions a few months ago as I had two to sell. $800 is the going price on Ebay for a full bike Le Champion. The team champion frame is I thought the same as the Le Champion or at least very, very similar. So $300-350 is about right for a frame and maybe add $50 for the headset and BB. being included.
__________________
Flickr Albums
ebay: cicloclassico
64 Bianchi Specialissima, 70 Pogliaghi ItalCorse, 72 De Rosa, 72 Masi Gran Criterium, 75 Masi Gran Criterium, 77 Melton, 79 Bianchi Super Leggera, 79 Gios Super Record, 81 Picchio Special, 82 Guerciotti Super Record, 82 Colnago Profil CX, 83 Colnago Superissimo, 84 Fuso




BlueDevil63 is offline  
Old 10-18-21, 02:44 PM
  #16  
merziac
Senior Member
 
merziac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: PDX
Posts: 8,503

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 165 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2594 Post(s)
Liked 1,869 Times in 1,257 Posts
Originally Posted by Sedgemop View Post
Seems there's a consensus that whatever "fair" means, a fair price without qualifiers is in your range of $350-$450. Thanks for the info, everybody.
It would have to be a complete earlier orange one for that price IMO.

I am a huge fan of the early ones, these, far less so just because.

That being said, if you got a hankering maybe offer $500 and see what happens.
merziac is offline  
Likes For merziac:
Old 10-18-21, 02:56 PM
  #17  
Sedgemop
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Sedgemop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Chicago
Posts: 386

Bikes: '72 Peugeot PX-10 '72 Gitane Tour de France '78 Raleigh Super Course '85 Trek 830 '85 Trek 760

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by merziac View Post
It would have to be a complete earlier orange one for that price IMO.

I am a huge fan of the early ones, these, far less so just because.

That being said, if you got a hankering maybe offer $500 and see what happens.
Yeah, the frame above ain't exactly ringing my bell. Wanted to use it to get something like a an agreement on value. I imagine I'll be waiting for a lilac Le Champion.
Sedgemop is offline  
Old 10-18-21, 02:57 PM
  #18  
merziac
Senior Member
 
merziac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: PDX
Posts: 8,503

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 165 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2594 Post(s)
Liked 1,869 Times in 1,257 Posts
Originally Posted by Sedgemop View Post
Yeah, I've had my eye on that one for awhile too. it's a real possibility. May hold out for one of the lilac Le Champions, though. I like that color so much more.
While we know many here advise the Le Champions are the same frame as the TC/CT's and I don't doubt that, the orange ones are the icons of the brand, those who know, know exactly what they are on sight, those who think they know, quickly ask if that's what it is.

I would argue they may be the most recognizable bike boom star behind celeste Bianchi's, you know it when you see it.
merziac is offline  
Likes For merziac:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.