Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Regaining confidence

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Regaining confidence

Old 10-22-21, 12:09 AM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2644 Post(s)
Liked 474 Times in 344 Posts
Regaining confidence

Hey guys, have any of you had your confidence on a bike shattered after a horrific injury? I broke my c5 vertebrae in my neck bodysurfing 2 months ago, had it taken out and im lucky im not paralyzed. Started riding again this week, and my confidence on descents is just totally shot. Its actually dangerous because i'm holding the brakes and just skittish all around. Used to be very comfortable on a bike, so this is eating at me. Will it come back in time, or are there things I should practice to regain my confidence.
Old 10-22-21, 05:50 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22513 Post(s)
Liked 8,843 Times in 4,113 Posts
Sounds 100% normal to me.

Best advice is to ride on familiar roads (to minimize surprises and anxiety) and it should come back with time.
Old 10-22-21, 05:55 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3638 Post(s)
Liked 5,316 Times in 2,701 Posts
Sup Larry! We all wondered where you went, though a couple of the others have resurfaced in your absence. Bummer about your horrific injury, just when you were making good progress toward snatching the young lady away from the old codger. Your skittishness on the bike is a sign you didn't lose all your brain cells. Another bike wreck and you could easily end up vegged! That wouldn't be fun. Might be time for a recumbent trike.
Old 10-22-21, 05:56 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 1,236 Times in 617 Posts
I went to a Trike after my Crash. Test ride some.

Likes For 10 Wheels:
Old 10-22-21, 07:32 AM
bampilot06

Bikes: Madone, Emonda, 5500, Ritchey Breakaway

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 10065 Post(s)
Liked 5,051 Times in 2,155 Posts
I crashed last week. Luckily no serious injuries, suspected leg fracture but x ray was clear. It was the worst crash to date for me and my confidence has been shot.

I hit an object carelessly left in a bike lane, it was early morning and I never saw it. Since then I havnt been able to ride in the dark, I did a group ride a couple of days ago, and I am usually carefree but this time I was worried the whole time, was sticking on the wheel in front of me and was death gripping my hoods.

I do think each day it gets a little better.
Old 10-22-21, 07:40 AM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1124 Post(s)
Liked 1,171 Times in 682 Posts
Originally Posted by LarrySellerz
Hey guys, have any of you had your confidence on a bike shattered after a horrific injury? I broke my c5 vertebrae in my neck bodysurfing 2 months ago, had it taken out and im lucky im not paralyzed. Started riding again this week, and my confidence on descents is just totally shot. Its actually dangerous because i'm holding the brakes and just skittish all around. Used to be very comfortable on a bike, so this is eating at me. Will it come back in time, or are there things I should practice to regain my confidence.
had a bone in your neck removed? i assume replaced with something else? modern medicine is really amazing, one of the reasons i firmly believe i will live to 100.

very glad to hear you are alive and well. i agree with your skittish being normal and i too would only stick to descents you know really really well and don't push it.
Old 10-22-21, 08:02 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8191 Post(s)
Liked 8,851 Times in 4,396 Posts
It takes time, maybe months. Just take it easy and don't rush it.
Old 10-22-21, 09:26 AM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 983 Times in 508 Posts
Glad you're okay, Larry. Jerry Seinfeld said the ocean doesn't want humans in it, so what happens when we surf is we try to go into the ocean and it throws us back out. Sounds like it was too rough with you.

It's totally understandable for you to be nervous on your bike, and that might continue for some time. Your brain is programmed to keep you from going too hard too soon.

I recommend gradually increasing your effort/intensity. Start with an easy pace on flat ground, and work your way up to higher speeds, steeper grades, etc. You shouldn't expect to quickly get back to your pre-accident activity level. The important thing is that you are going in the right direction. It would be sad if you let this keep you from ever riding again, but very reasonable for you to take your time to recuperate after such a big setback.
Old 10-22-21, 09:46 AM
Koyote

Quoted: 6882 Post(s)
Liked 10,873 Times in 4,637 Posts
On the plus side, you should be a little bit lighter now, which means you're faster.

Originally Posted by shelbyfv
Might be time for a recumbent trike.
Unless things have changed since I was three years old, ladies don't go for dudes on trikes.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 10-22-21, 09:59 AM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

Originally Posted by Koyote
Unless things have changed since I was three years old, ladies don't go for dudes on trikes.
When I get too old, frail, or wobbly to safely ride a bicycle, I plan to get a tadpole recumbent. Some of those are pretty nice, and I think they offer an experience that's reasonably close to regular biking. Hopefully this won't happen for another two decades. By then, I don't think I'll care if the ladies notice me.
Old 10-22-21, 10:04 AM
SpedFast
Just Pedaling

Bikes: YEP!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked 491 Times in 325 Posts
Originally Posted by Broctoon
When I get too old, frail, or wobbly to safely ride a bicycle, I plan to get a tadpole recumbent. Some of those are pretty nice, and I think they offer an experience that's reasonably close to regular biking. Hopefully this won't happen for another two decades. By then, I don't think I'll care if the ladies notice me.
When you quit caring you are no longer living.... Just saying

Glad you're okay Larry
Old 10-22-21, 10:21 AM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

Originally Posted by SpedFast
When you quit caring you are no longer living....
Crap. I'm only 51 and have already stopped trying to impress everyone but my wife. So I guess I'm as good as dead.

Old 10-22-21, 10:28 AM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 334 Times in 206 Posts
Totally normal. After my crash, I was off the bike for a couple months and was too chicken to ride no-handed for at least another couple months.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 10-22-21, 10:41 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3873 Post(s)
Liked 1,920 Times in 1,369 Posts
Practice. Practice concentrating on every little thing. Zen. When you descend, let the bike run, brake for corners, dangerous looking driveways, and extreme speed, say over 50 Practice holding your line and looking around. The idea is to stay present, no boredom. Always be doing something, concentrating on something. I find that takes the fear away. As it is said, "Fear is the little death."
Old 10-22-21, 10:41 AM
aclinjury

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 497 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 128 Posts
did I read that right, had C5 removed?? wow didn't know the neck could still function like that.

But about confidence. You can ease back in. Ride on flat roads for a while. Then do only easy descending routes, skip the technical ones. Then see how you go from there. It may take a few months to a year before you'll get back to the previous level of confidence.
Old 10-22-21, 11:24 AM
Koyote

Quoted: 6882 Post(s)
Liked 10,873 Times in 4,637 Posts
That comment was for Larry. If you've followed his exploits, you'll understand.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 10-22-21, 11:48 AM
wheelreason

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 476 Post(s)
Liked 575 Times in 343 Posts
Yes, it comes back. I had a car clip my rear wheel and flip me over landing simultaneously on my right shoulder, hip and head. Instant ambulance ride to the emergency room. Broken clavicle, 3 bruised ribs and a serious contusion. Takes some time, and I'm sure it varies. It took me a year to loose the jiters, and about 3 years to come back to bombing downhill in traffic.

ps: brushing your teeth with the off hand is really hard, wiping your butt nearly impossible.
Old 10-22-21, 12:27 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,645 Times in 6,054 Posts
Jesus, that's terrible. ☹️

Ride slowly and conservatively. Don't take any risks at all. Be very boring. Ride slowly at places like the beach where the scenery and experience of being outdoors provides enough enjoyment to make it worthwhile. Confidence comes from good results. Plus, you're probably still healing and getting used to your new experience of life.
Old 10-22-21, 02:24 PM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

Originally Posted by Koyote
That comment was for Larry. If you've followed his exploits, you'll understand.
Yeah, I remember his adventures that prompted that comment. I believe the cute young lady ended up staying with her much older guy pal... but at least they gave Larry some clipless pedals. Larry, you been getting any more respect on the group rides lately (when not recovering from a broken neck)?
Likes For Broctoon:
Old 10-22-21, 03:06 PM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 2644 Post(s)
Liked 474 Times in 344 Posts
Guys i'm not trying to get with that girl lol. Someone on my ride might see this and put 2 and 2 together and give me the cinzano treatment.
Likes For LarrySellerz:
Old 10-22-21, 03:11 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4274 Post(s)
Liked 4,713 Times in 2,911 Posts
Crap. I'm only 51 and have already stopped trying to impress everyone but my wife. So I guess I'm as good as dead.
I don't even try to impress my wife!
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 10-22-21, 03:18 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4274 Post(s)
Liked 4,713 Times in 2,911 Posts
After a few major crashes on my DH rig when I was younger I lost confidence for quite some time, but it slowly came back. I would imagine your brain has put you in lockdown for now to prevent any major risk of trauma. Maybe ride easy routes and avoid fast descents for a little while. I don't think there's anything you can practice that would help much. You need time to fully heal and get your head back in the game.
Old 10-22-21, 03:19 PM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

Originally Posted by PeteHski
I don't even try to impress my wife!
Same here, man...

Working on mine is all I can handle, so you're on your own with Mrs. Hski. [rimshot!]

Larry, the Cinzano treatment is the worst! But you get it for showing off to pro racers, not from trying to make a move on someone's girl, and especially not for just being accused of doing so on BF.
Old 10-22-21, 03:19 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8191 Post(s)
Liked 8,851 Times in 4,396 Posts
Guys i'm not trying to get with that girl lol. Someone on my ride might see this and put 2 and 2 together and give me the cinzano treatment.
You're gonna have a hard time living that down, it's part of your forum story.
Likes For big john:
Old 10-22-21, 03:40 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10247 Post(s)
Liked 11,601 Times in 5,946 Posts
Just do the rolling roads for a while. Save descents for when you feel more confident. Start out with the less technical ones like 84, and just don't let your speed creep up too far. Over time your confidence will return, plus you'll have built up more experience to back up the confidence. Oh! And for a while, don't try to follow anyone down a descent. And you can always try doing what I do - shout at yourself "LET OFF THE BRAKES!!" as you come into a corner.

I know you're probably not looking for another bike, but I can tell you, now that I have 9 of them, some bikes just handle better than others. Some of my bikes feel 'dodgy' on turns unless I commit. You know, weighting the outside pedal, pushing into the lean. Then they carve the corner. A couple of them, one especially, just feels like it knows what to do, almost like it barely needs my input. I never get that 'dodgy' feeling on it. Just solid cornering. It's a question of geometry, not age, or material, so you don't need a fancy new CF bike. The one I'm most confident on is a 30 year old steel frame. Your hybrid, by comparison, may not be the best at high speed cornering.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.