Search
Notices
Indoor & Stationary Cycling Forum From spin to Zwift to Peloton, this forum is dedicated to any and all indoor training on stationary bikes

Peloton injury?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-21, 01:58 PM
apruitt4

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Peloton injury?

Hi! I’m hoping to see if anyone has had this experience. I started riding the peloton in May pretty hard. ( never done cycling before, mostly running) I went multiple days in a row with HIIT exercises on the bike with weightlifting following. I woke up one morning lightheaded with muscle fatigue. The muscle fatigue has continued since June. I think I strained my neck and upper back. I proceeded to lift a heavy rug and further strain my neck leaving me with paresthesias literally all over my body. I saw a neurologist with a normal brain and cervical MRI, normal labs. Have you seen or heard of this from straining neck and upper back? This is scaring me.
Old 08-08-21, 07:30 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by apruitt4
Hi! I’m hoping to see if anyone has had this experience. I started riding the peloton in May pretty hard. ( never done cycling before, mostly running) I went multiple days in a row with HIIT exercises on the bike with weightlifting following. I woke up one morning lightheaded with muscle fatigue. The muscle fatigue has continued since June. I think I strained my neck and upper back. I proceeded to lift a heavy rug and further strain my neck leaving me with paresthesias literally all over my body. I saw a neurologist with a normal brain and cervical MRI, normal labs. Have you seen or heard of this from straining neck and upper back? This is scaring me.
The problem is that you pushed your body too hard with too many workouts at the same time and failed to take rest days and recover...HIIT shouldn't be done more than once or twice per week..and mixing HITT and weight lifting at the same time multiple days in a row is a big mistake...Keep your HIIT sessions and your weightlifting sessions separate with few days of rest in between.
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 08-08-21, 08:50 AM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 526 Posts
I'd recommend discussing with your medical provider rather than with a bunch of random internet folks. Especially if it is scaring you. I hope it resolves quickly. Good luck to you.
Likes For Moe Zhoost:
Old 08-08-21, 09:38 AM
work4bike

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3770 Post(s)
Liked 1,036 Times in 784 Posts
I agree, you pushed your body too hard. I'm a big proponent of HIIT, but at the same time you gotta be careful of overdoing it; HIIT can be addicting, at least in my case it is addicting. However, most gains from working comes from the easier workouts, HIIT is just the icing on the cake, it's NOT the cake.

When you exert yourself to between 60-70% max HR. your heart is pumping at its max volume, any higher it's just pumping faster, so the aerobic gains are very minimal past the point where your heart is pumping maximum volume, but the built up of fatigue is exponential.

The best way to build fitness is thru consistent workouts, day-after-day and you can't do that if you're killing yourself every workout.

Old 08-08-21, 12:06 PM
apruitt4

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Moe Zhoost
I'd recommend discussing with your medical provider rather than with a bunch of random internet folks. Especially if it is scaring you. I hope it resolves quickly. Good luck to you.
yes, I have been to a spinal orthopedic doc, neurologist, and my primary care physician. They all agree it could be overexertion, cervical strain with nerve inflammation. I am just simply trying to reach out and see if anyone has had a similar experience or can provide some input. Thanks..
Old 08-08-21, 12:08 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
I recall about 2-3 years ago a bunch of people got their feelings seriously injured from watching a Peloton Ad.
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 08-09-21, 08:26 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1480 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
I bet somewhere in your owner's manual, there's a statement for you to consult with your doctor before starting any new exercise routine.

Your doctor would know or may likely ask what your previous exercise routines are like?

If you're too ambitious and push yourself too hard, it wouldn't take long for you to get discouraged and end up selling your equipment.
Old 08-09-21, 11:02 PM
AdkMtnMonster
Airplanes, bikes, beer.

Bikes: Road bikes, mountain bikes, a cx bike, a gravel bike…

Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Liked 788 Times in 339 Posts
HTFU. And wear bibs.
Old 08-10-21, 02:04 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3085 Post(s)
Liked 6,568 Times in 3,766 Posts
Thread moved from A&S to Indoor Cycling

Old 08-11-21, 12:47 AM
tempocyclist

Bikes: 2002 Trek 5200 (US POSTAL), 2020 Canyon Aeroad SL

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked 679 Times in 327 Posts
Too much too soon. Seek professional medical advice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijof8uw4OHs

Old 08-11-21, 12:56 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
The problem is that you pushed your body too hard with too many workouts at the same time and failed to take rest days and recover...HIIT shouldn't be done more than once or twice per week..and mixing HITT and weight lifting at the same time multiple days in a row is a big mistake...Keep your HIIT sessions and your weightlifting sessions separate with few days of rest in between.
This.
Old 08-11-21, 04:56 PM
Ed Wiser

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 130 Times in 79 Posts
Back can be easily strained on a bike. Never like Peloton bikes as they don’t have a good adjustment for users.
Old 08-15-21, 04:47 PM
mattcalifornia

Bikes: 2002 Eddy Merckx Team SC Resto-Mod; 2019 Ibis Hakka MX; 2017 Spot Brand Ajax Belt Drive

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 192 Times in 121 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
While doing HIIT every day is probably not best for training purposes, it still seems like it shouldn't be causing the types of lasting symptoms OP is complaining about. He should definitely continue to seek further professional medical advice until this is solved. Almost sounds like some sort of nerve-related back or neck injury, but I'm not a doctor and don't really know what I'm talking about!!
Old 08-15-21, 05:24 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,687 Times in 2,510 Posts
When I read the OP, I don't think the peloton had anything to do with their injury. It was lifting things.
Likes For unterhausen: